#41 Jery

Jery

Pleasure King

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:54 AM

I'm sorry for giving a poser B)
The Cimmerian made no attempt to match wits and intrigue with Thutmekri and his Shemitish partner, Zargheba. He knew that if Thutmekri won his point, he would insist on the instant banishment of his rival. There was but one thing for Conan to do: find the jewels before the king of Keshan made up his mind, and flee with them.
"Jewels of Gwahlur" by Robert E Howard

I've had me more dirty women than most men ever had
AC/DC Bad Boy Boogie & M E

#42 Darius The Priest

Darius The Priest

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:45 AM

Dear John,
Perhaps to the disgust of some of our members. I found L.Sprague de camp & Lin Carter's work as well as the works by Robert Jorden and your good self a more than welcome revival of the the late Mr Howard's legacy. (unlike some colours i could mention....)
But talent like yours is far and few between.
For us.... will you once again put pencil to paper?
Arus saw a tall powerfully built youth, naked but for a loin-cloth, and sandals strapped high about his ankles. His skin was burned brown as by the suns of the wastelands and Arus glanced nervously at his broad shoulders, massive chest and heavy arms, A single look at the moody, broad-browed features told the watchman the man was no Nemedian. From under a mop of unruly black hair smoldered a pair of dangerous blue eyes. A long sword hung in a leather scabbard at his girdle. (The God in the Bowl)

#43 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:49 AM

I've just been going over the list of authors who have written about Conan and it's alarming to realize how many of them are dead, almost half. Some died in the fullness of their years but others died untimely.
Howard: a suicide in his thirties
DeCamp: died in his 80s
Nyberg: long gone from among us
Wagner: died too soon from overindulgence
Sean Moore: died tragically young in a car crash
Poul Anderson: died in his 70s
Lin Carter: cancer

The others, as far as I know, are still around, but it's depressing. I knew five of them.

#44 TroceroQuijas

TroceroQuijas

Infamous Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:27 AM

Conan the Valorous as Ive stated in the past is a top Conan pastiche to me. Ive read many, and now alot of them are a blur, but that one always stood out in my memories. ;) Good sh!t!
"Maddened with the sight of victory, these wild peoples were like wounded tigers, feeling no wounds, and dying on their feet with their last gasp a snarl of fury"

#45 Eli

Eli

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:13 AM

I loved the Wild Bunch! The last shootout was one of the best ever filmed.
I bulldog in nicknamed Pike. When we play tugofwar I say "Give 'em hell Pike!" Like Ernest Borgnine did when William Holden went to work with that machine gun.

Edited by Eli, 27 March 2006 - 08:15 AM.

#46 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:14 AM

Okay, confession time: "Conan the Rogue" wasn't the only time when I used somebody else's plot for a Conan story. "Conan and the Manhunters" was largely inspired by "The Wild Bunch," which is in my opinion the best movie ever made, closely followed by "The Searchers" "the Seventh Seal" and "Magnificent Seven," the Kurosawa version, though the Sturges western version was also fine. Hey, there's only so many stories out there, and most of them were used by around Homer's time.

#47 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:42 AM

Okay, confession time: "Conan the Rogue" wasn't the only time when I used somebody else's plot for a Conan story. "Conan and the Manhunters" was largely inspired by "The Wild Bunch," which is in my opinion the best movie ever made, closely followed by "The Searchers" "the Seventh Seal" and "Magnificent Seven," the Kurosawa version, though the Sturges western version was also fine. Hey, there's only so many stories out there, and most of them were used by around Homer's time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John,

It's a real treat to have you on the boards. I just ordered your Falcon series from Amazon, and can't wait to work them into the reading list. I'm curious what book or series you think is your strongest that you have written. I'm also curious about what authors you currently feel are at the top of their game in historical fiction and/or fantasy.

I picked up "Sand in the Arena" when I saw you had written a recommendation, thanks for that.

Edited by Croms Bones, 28 March 2006 - 04:44 AM.

The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#48 Darius The Priest

Darius The Priest

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:16 AM

John,
My condolences on the passing of your friends/acquaintices and fellow writers.
Their's is a talent sorely missed.
But i must press you, have you/are you considering a return to this series...
My Respects
Darius.
Arus saw a tall powerfully built youth, naked but for a loin-cloth, and sandals strapped high about his ankles. His skin was burned brown as by the suns of the wastelands and Arus glanced nervously at his broad shoulders, massive chest and heavy arms, A single look at the moody, broad-browed features told the watchman the man was no Nemedian. From under a mop of unruly black hair smoldered a pair of dangerous blue eyes. A long sword hung in a leather scabbard at his girdle. (The God in the Bowl)

#49 Chrysagon

Chrysagon

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:44 AM

John,
in Conan the Valorous, we see Conan visit the Ben Morgh. This place does not appear in Howard's stories. Did you created it ? (I don't recall having seen it in other pastiches, but I didn't read all of them) Is there a time of consideration, when deciding to create such important religious place in the Conan myth ?

Chrysagon
Posted Image
Les Chroniques N?m?diennes
The Ultimate French Site about Conan and Robert Howard

#50 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:37 PM

Darius:
I wouldn't mind writing further Conan books, but the curent owner of Conan Properties is not someone I can work with.

Chrysagon:
Howard never set a story in Cimmeria, and at the time I undertook the book none of the other pastiche writers had, either. Thus I felt I had leeway in constructing the Cimmerian homeland, clan structure, myth, etc. Since everything known indicated that Howard meant for the Cimmerians to be proto-Celts I employed a Celtic-type society. Ben Morgh means "Great Mountain" in Gaelic.

#51 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

John,

Have you read any of the new Age of Conan novels? If so, what do you think.

If not, are you aware that Coleman used Ben Morgh in his Legends of Kern trilogy?

#52 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

I haven't read any of those. I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the tip. And anyone is welcom to Ben Morgh. I don't own any part of the shared Hyborian world, even the ones I thought up.

#53 grim cimmerian

grim cimmerian

Saturnine Slayer, Crag Climber, Marauder of the Mountains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

oh Exalted One,
It is indeed a pleasure to exchange a few words with you.
I am a JMR Conan fan rivaled only perhaps by the Buxom one (as I esteem you greatly, but she being female could possibly add feelings above and beyond what I am capable of, which we won't discuss)

You are above and beyond my favorite writer of Conan material since Howard. I would even say that Conan the Valorous IS my favorite Conan story above all others including Howard's work (I freely admit that, although it will cast me as a pariah with the purists on this site)

I have literally read my copy of Valorous to shreds (incidently I need a new one, my copy is dubiously held together with tape after so many lunchbox readings)
I have all of the TOR Conan series except two. 43 original titles I believe, excluding the reprinting of the de camp books like the spider god that I recently discovered.

The young Cimmerian scaling the black monolith to gaze out on the approaching Cimmerian army (I love the mental image that invoked) is in my opinion the best page of Conan related material ever written! followed closely by Conan and Chulain (forgive if I mispelled your character's name, I don't have my treasured copy at hand to reference), hacking their way through the Vanir at the mouth of the cave. Pure poetry of words to my soul.

Thank you so much for fleshing out Cimmeria with Ben Morgh, tribal names and interesting things like Galla with topknots and clubs. You are the MAN! I loved your descriptions of Cimmeria in both Valorous and Bold. Wonderful. I don't think others realize how much you gave us (and perhaps you don't realize how far your inspiration has gone) with novels like the age of Conan Kern series, and games like gurps Conan and Mongoose Conan using your concepts heavily. Every map of Conan's world now includes Ben Morgh!

I really loved the small adventure within an adventure in the border kingdom involving the bull on his way to Cimmeria that could have been expanded as a novel or short story by itself!

You had Chulthu like monsters of the deep, warring sorcerers, Bloody battles between Aesir and Van, Conan in a loin cloth and sandals destitute in some shoddy tavern, Conan at the sword and horse markets showing his expertise, etc. etc. You single handedly summed up Conan's world and captured his character exactly in a single novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I plan to write great reviews of all of your Conan books on this site (I have dedicated myself to reviewing every Conan story but have been neglecting my thread of late)

Q-- Has Tor approached you on doing a hardback collection of your titles in reprint similar to what they did with the Jordan books? I would readily purchase such volumes. I enjoyed your stories much more than his.
Q-- even though Bold is considered non cannon (by those who actually attempt to fit all Conan tales into a timeline) did you envision this as how Conan came into the Hyborian kingdoms?
Q-- Do you actually consider The Frost giant's Daughter to come later in Conan's career as was insinuated in Valorous or were you pressured to conform to the DeCamp/Jordan timeline?
Q-- are you currently involved in any Conan project? would you consider it? I would love to have a new pastiche or age of Conan series from you.
Q-- Why does the Champion mention on the cover that it occurs in Brythunia when it is at the Vilayet sea?

Well I must cut short if I have any hope of you reading my ramblings, but know this, I bow low to you noble sir!
"WOE UNTO MY FOEMEN, PITY THEIR WIDOWS AND KIN."
All flatlanders are soft and frail, I enjoy those qualities in their women.
"By CROM if you so much as touch your hilt I'll split you from crown to crotch and see if your guts are as yellow as I think they are!"

#54 grim cimmerian

grim cimmerian

Saturnine Slayer, Crag Climber, Marauder of the Mountains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

Darius:
I wouldn't mind writing further Conan books, but the curent owner of Conan Properties is not someone I can work with.

I don't mean to pry but would you care to elaborate? could something concievably be worked out?
"WOE UNTO MY FOEMEN, PITY THEIR WIDOWS AND KIN."
All flatlanders are soft and frail, I enjoy those qualities in their women.
"By CROM if you so much as touch your hilt I'll split you from crown to crotch and see if your guts are as yellow as I think they are!"

#55 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:53 AM

Grim:
Thank you for your very flattering post. Personally I like flattery. Can't get enough of it, in fact. I'll try to answer your questions tomorrow when I'm rested and sober. I'm less fun sober, but a bit more concise.
As to more Conan books: that would hinge upon a rather serious legal question which I really can't get into here.
John

#56 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:45 AM

grim cimmerian writes- You are above and beyond my favorite writer of Conan material since Howard. I would even say that Conan the Valorous IS my favorite Conan story above all others including Howard's work (I freely admit that, although it will cast me as a pariah with the purists on this site)

Yeah...man, you are such a pariah! :rolleyes:

#57 theGrayMan

theGrayMan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:30 PM

grim cimmerian writes- You are above and beyond my favorite writer of Conan material since Howard. I would even say that Conan the Valorous IS my favorite Conan story above all others including Howard's work (I freely admit that, although it will cast me as a pariah with the purists on this site)

Yeah...man, you are such a pariah!  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Korak is in heaven here. They talk about the swords, they talk about the movies, they argue deep argues about Conan's body building program.

I do own Conan the Valorous. If your dear ones figure out that this weird name "Conan" keeps showing up on your shelf, lately, and they can't (and why should they) figure out the deal about genuineness, one of these Christmas mornings you will end up owning some Tor. And I certainly thanked 'em for trying.

When I got around to reading it, which took a while, it did me some good, too. Without irony or sly smile intended whatsoever, it helped me a whole lot at figuring out what Howard was really doing on the page and what it was that I admired about his work. It did this mostly by making me say "no, no," over and over. "No, no," ls different than "Ugh, ugh!" they tell me. They also tell me that "Ugh, ugh!" is supposed to be Steve Perry's floor, but I've only been down to Roland Green, which is sort of "Geez, Louise!!".

Probably you know better than most that there's not even another Cimmerian in the stories -- golly, I hope that's right, now that I've said it--as well as any Cimmeria. If he had let himself live longer that might have changed, like secondary characters showed up as the main focus of a single novel in he Mars and the Tarzan series as the series concepts lost their newness but showed steady fans. It would have had to change more and farther than Mars and Tarzan, though, as the existing Howard stories are even short on survivors, let alone repeating characters.

Well, to wind it up here, I think that Howard didn't touch Cimmeria again because he was then in the business of slipping by reader objections and questions to and about Conan's achievements and limitations, things that would slow the pace and let the reader drift in focus or even fight back against the flow of the story, by having Conan appear full grown and overtowering out of an unknown dangerous nowhere, not exactly 100% human. That is, just as Roddenbury was once in the business of slipping punches about why Spock always seemed to have just what it took to edge the Enterprise over the top in her problems, by making the Vulcan have a mysterious, distant, half-human origin, at least until Roddenberry was sure the character had enough personal popularity to take some profit out of (with origin stories).

Done, and not too long getting done, I hope. In any case its nice of you to drop by and been nice to talk to somebody who has probably, possibly, given the thing some thought before.

Wonder if Howard would have solved the problem of jumping to novel length while keeping the same level of intensity as the hottest of the short stories?

#58 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

Almost everyone wishes Howard had given us more about Conan, more Conan stories, maybe some novel-length work. The fact is, Conan was a figure in a handful of stories Howard wrote for Wierd Tales, out of hundreds he wrote for a huge variety of pulps. He had a lot more on his mind and you had to write a lot, fast, to make a living in the pulps. He had no way of knowing that, the better part of a century after his death, this one creation of his would be so hugely popular.

#59 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:30 PM

I would even say that Conan the Valorous IS my favorite Conan story above all others including Howard's work (I freely admit that, although it will cast me as a pariah with the purists on this site)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PARIAH ?!?! - HAH !! - OUTLAW !! BRIGAND !! JACK-KNAVE !! TAFFER !!

GUARDS !! - SEIZE HIM !! - TO THE CITY GATES - PUT A WEASEL IN HIS BREECHES & BURY HIM TO HIS WAIST & STONE HIM - UPSIDE DOWN !! We can't have dissenters & rabble-rousers stirring up the populace like that . hahaha - Have to admit tho I haven't read J.M.R.'s Conans yet (or actually any pastiche authors in a few years) - from all you guys have said & what you've posted here Mr. R. - I'm definitely going to get your books - even if it's some dog-eared copies off ebay .

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 30 March 2006 - 08:31 PM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#60 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:25 PM

from all you guys have said & what you've posted here Mr. R. - I'm definitely going to get your books - even if it's some dog-eared copies off ebay .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HEY NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING DOG-EARED COPIES.. IT SAVBES YOUR GOOD 'UNS FROM GETTING WRECKED (OOPS, sorry, CAPS was on and I aint retyping :o )

been a while since I read any of JMR's books but from what I remeber they wernt bad at all.

Nice to see you dropping in and giving us feedback Mr Roberts, we appreciate it.

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!