106 replies to this topic

#1 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:15 AM

I just saw an ad for this on the cartoon network. Looks violent, looks funny. It's supposed to be a Conan parody, but the futuristic setting reminds me of Thundarr as well. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Korgoth wikipedia article

Summary From the Adult Swim website: "In a dark future wasteland, the cities have fallen, primordial beasts have reclaimed the globe and thieves and savages populate sparse, dirty towns. Korgoth emerges from the frozen north, and his merciless savagery may be his only key to survival. Korgoth of Barbaria is an animated fantasy-action-adventure-comedy from Aaron Springer. "
"His time was past," The Gael said. Perhaps he saw that too. But we'll carry his body to his people and tell them he died a hero, surrounded by slaughtered Picts." -Tigers of the Sea, REH

#2 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

Cartoon Network

Adult Swim

Korgoth of Barbaria: In a dark future wasteland, the cities have fallen, primordial beasts have reclaimed the globe and thieves and savages populate sparse, dirty towns. Korgoth emerges from the frozen north, and his merciless savagery may be his only key to survival. Korgoth of Barbaria is an animated fantasy-action-adventure-comedy from Aaron Springer. The half-hour pilot episode will air in September.

====================================================

I saw a brief ad last night. It does look funny. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#3 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:00 PM

Sounds highly reminiscent of Thundarr. But if it's by Aaron Springer, writer of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, then it will at least be very interesting

Springer's a big fan of Lovecraft, so it's possible he likes Howard too. Hell, he included CTHULHU in one of the episodes (Prank Call of Cthulhu, I believe), along with countless other wierd fiction tropes. Although I've never had the pleasure of seeing an episode, it looks really fun.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#4 Glstar6

Glstar6

Sword and Sorcery Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:50 AM

Sounds very interesting. I will most definitely have to check this one out September,2006. Comedy and action , two of my favourite tv show genres in one show what could be better ? You know it is going to be funny since it was created by one of the crew of Spongebob Squarepants ( Aaron Springer).The world sort of does sound like the world which Thundarr was based in.

#5 dr Bo

dr Bo

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:00 PM

The world sort of does sound like the world which Thundarr was based in.

Indeed, thanks for pointing this one out Cormac.
I will probably miss it on TV (as ever), but if the buzz is good I'll look for it in DVD.

Animation is so far one of the best way to render these savage lands of barbarians horde to the screen, as budget don't restrain the visual as much as it do on live version were sets and elaborate special effects have to be made.
Fire and Ice (just to name it) still is, live or animated, one of the best looking Sword and Sorcery film to date, and will continue to be thanks to the strong art direction and stunning visuals.

Edited by dr Bo, 19 April 2006 - 03:01 PM.

#6 Xaltotun

Xaltotun

Undead Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:54 PM

I just saw Korgoth last night at 12.30. A bit late, but I stayed awake to watch it. Absolutely hilarious!
The similarities to Conan are many and undeniable. And yes, it was hyperbolically violent....but the Bad Guys always deserve it, don't they? B) A couple of hot, curvy vixens, too, one of whom Korgoth took behind a shrub and gave some vigorous loving. There's even an early scene where the Bad Guys roll polyhedral dice to determine what poor SOB has the fateful task of approaching the drinking barbarian (an obvious reference to RPGers). I look forward to other eps.

EDIT: It will be on again at 10.30 Eastern US Time/9.30 Central.

Edited by Xaltotun, 04 June 2006 - 04:24 PM.

#7 Lionmane

Lionmane

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:44 AM

I saw Korgoth last night, and I thought it was hilarious! Very violent and goofy. I think it not only spoofed Conan and Thundarr, but I'd throw in Wizards as well(anyone remember that one?)for its post-apocalyptic setting.
Of course, Oliver Stone would've set Conan in the post-apocalyptic future,too, so maybe this is what his version would've been...except that Korgoth is intentionally funny. ;)
"There They Wait In Fear, With Swords In Feeble Hands,
With Dreams To Be A King, First One Should Be A Man"

- MANOWAR

#8 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

Darn ! I forgot all about this one & missed it the other day . I saw a commercial for it a couple weeks ago where some gigantic hyperbolic overbearing villian is standing in front of the Korgoth guy looking down at him & going into a long James-Earl-Jones-Thulsa-Doom-Diatribe about all the horrible things about to befall Korgoth who is leaning back against a bar or something just listening , & after a minute or so of that - he just leans forward & grabs the villians top-knot -ponytail & rips down , skinning the bad-guy from the top of his head down to his feet , hilarious !! Anybody know when they might be replaying that first episode ?

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#9 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:00 PM

Darn ! I forgot all about this one & missed it the other day . I saw a commercial for it a couple weeks ago where some gigantic hyperbolic overbearing villian is standing in front of the Korgoth guy looking down at him & going into a long James-Earl-Jones-Thulsa-Doom-Diatribe about all the horrible things about to befall Korgoth who is leaning back against a bar or something just listening , & after a minute or so of that - he just leans forward & grabs the villians top-knot -ponytail & rips down , skinning the bad-guy from the top of his head down to his feet , hilarious !! Anybody know when they might be replaying that first episode ?

That scene had me on the floor. He does even more stuff to the guy *after* the top knot yank...

It wasn't some unknowledgable oaf making fun of 'Conan', it was more like someone who knew S&S and thought, "Hey, what if we just do Conan as an over-the-top comedy?"

I thought it was fun. The Itchy & Scratchy (Simpsons) level of violence was hilarious.

I don't know when/if they will re-air this pilot. Do you have any peer-to-peer filesharing program? I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up out there soon, if it hasn't already.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#10 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:46 PM

I just found out about this yesterday from someone on another board, and I'd love to see it. I'm hoping for a replay...
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#11 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

For those that don't get the channel the KORGOTH OF BARBARIA is on -- such as myself :( -- I see there are a few trailers on YouTube:

It looks like the whole Episode 01 is there, in 3 parts.

As a CONAN fan, maybe I shouldn't find it funny. There's been way too much debasement of REH's great Conan work, whether it be in parodies, hack ripoffs, or ignorant adaptions.

But ... KORGOTH is so over the top, I busted a gut several times, especially watching the Episode 01 parts. B) :lol:
scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#12 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

I wouldn't compare it at all to THUNDARR, which tried to be serious but still tame for the kiddies.
KORGOTH is pure shock comedy CONAN parody, IMO.

For those that don't get the channel the KORGOTH OF BARBARIA is on -- such as myself :( -- I see there are a few trailers on YouTube:

As a CONAN fan, maybe I shouldn't find it funny. There's been way too much debasement of REH's great Conan work, whether it be in parodies, hack ripoffs, or ignorant adaptions.

But ... KORGOTH is so over the top, I busted a gut several times, especially watching the Episode 01 parts. B) :lol:
scott tilson.
--------------------

#13 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

Merged redundant threads.

#14 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

Very entertaining. I don't think it does a disservice to Conan and Howard in the slightest, it only slightly shanges the standard Howardian sword-and-sorcery yarn into a base comedy.

The bit where the guy in the topknot does a big spiel about how Korgoth will experience pain (like a RAINBOW! :D ) and Korgoth shuts him up had me laughing like a drain.

Korgoth is actually a more accurate protrayal of Conan than any other TV/Film incarnation so far, apart from the fact he has no sense of humour. I liked the semi-Howardian dialogue too: "Loot what you will, but do not tarry: even in death, a wizard is not to be trusted." The humour seems quite Howardian too, quite self-depracating. Apart from the modern stuff like spectacles and bubblegun, which I felt could have been done without, it almost felt like a Howard tale. One of Howard's off tales, certainly, but it had a bit of that grimness that you get with Howard.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#15 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

Just downloaded and watched it myself (emule).. damn funny.. I like it and gonna try and catch more.

budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#16 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

aargh ! I do have the cartoon network on cable t.v. & still haven't been able to find it on replays , from all you guys have said I have got to get this damn cartoon ! - I'm still on a dial-up modem so downloading huge files or movies is usually out the window - unless I wanna tie up my phone for like 16 to 18 hours !! I don't think this show is any kind of blow against sword & sorcery or Howard , or any kind of debasement ( or de-attic )....., - if anything the little bit i've seen seems like it's just some of us S.&S.-nuts that have made a parody of all the bad mass-media attempts to portray stereotypical clueless S.&S. & just took it over the top . & it seems like it comes from someplace intelligent besides funny . - Dollars to donuts it blows up big-time like Simpsons or Beavis & Butthead did !!

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#17 tofu

tofu

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:47 PM

Mongoose sight has a link with episode 1-3

here I will add the link.

http://www.fidnet.co...vb/korgoth.html

straight from Mongoose sight.

Edited by tofu, 09 June 2006 - 11:51 PM.

Warfighting Philosophy:
Shatter the Enemys cohesion through a variety of rapid,focused,unexpected actions which create a turbulent and rapid deteriorating sitchuation in which the enemy cannot cope. Department of the Navy.

Facinated at birth with the power of a Gun, Trained as a Troop to weild one effectively, and still loveing them today.

Nothing beats a well placed sling shot to the bridge of the nose=)

#18 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

Thats the first episode in 3 parts..

budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#19 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:58 PM

More info from a KORGOTH artist from
http://www.tcj.com/m...TML/011654.html

I'm going to break my usual (arbitrary) self- imposed no animation talk on my blog to promote a new pilot I painted the backgrounds last year. It's coming out on Adult Swim on Saturday night at midnight. I want people to watch it so I have something fun to work on again. It a Barbarian show done right with loads of violence, sex and lenghy urination. It's directed, written and designed by a funny cartoonist friend of mine you may have heard of by the name of Aaron Springer. The backgrounds were layed out by one of the best young background artists out there right now Justin Thompson. I did some final paintings and some rough keys, on the blog is a selection along with a fake title card. The big bar pan was cut for time so that will be the only place you will see it.

William Wray

and more urgently:

It's just a pilot. It's 22 minutes, its good, but Aaron needs a pick up and to get a show before the DVD. I think if it gets a strong response it will go... But they may be reluctant to take chances with it as it has a budget and full animation. A first for Adult Swim. The cute junk they usually do is no risk as it costs so very little thus it doesn't need ratings.

Support quality adult animation. It can be done.

... Tell cartoon Network how much you love it and maybe they will.

If you liked KORGOTH OF BARBARIA, tell the Cartoon Network at

http://www.cartoonne...back/index.html

and spread the word to everyone you can to go to that feedback site and send in their support for a KORGOTH series!
scott tilson.
--------------------

#20 Xaltotun

Xaltotun

Undead Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

That's my page. I thought I'd embed the code on my website, less the visual clutter.
I wrote Cartoon Network praising the show. Let's hope some of the stuffed suits (i.e. executives) actually heed the advise of fans. Since we're on the subject of cartoon barbies, I'd love to see a straight, dramatic cartoon series of Conan. I am really looking forward to RED NAILS! (*drool*)