Photo

Cold Hyrkanian Steel: Show Us Your Babies!

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#481 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

To revive my personal favorite thread a pic of a nice looking sword:

Posted Image

Bumping PB's thread...

That's a great blade from Lundemo (he needs to stop by again). VERY "Hyborian". B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#482 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:15 AM

Posted Image

Bumping PB's thread...

That's a great blade from Lundemo (he needs to stop by again). VERY "Hyborian". B)

Looks like a REAL sword.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#483 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

is that an assegai FB?

"Assegai" is a Portuguese word that got used for the short Zulu stabbing spear. MRL chose to go with "Ixwla,"(there are many spellings), the Zulu word for it. Interestingly, it is believed to be an onomotopaic word imitating the sound of the broad blade as it is withdrawn from the enemy's viscera. Beat that for a weapon name!

The Portuguese word azagaia, as well as the French sagaie (Old French: harsegaye / azagaie / azagaye) come from the Arabic az-zagaya, based on the Berber word: zagaya.

The Berbers NEVER get enough credit.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#484 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

Posted Image

Bumping PB's thread...

Looks like a REAL sword.

No, no, no. Real swords have serrated blades, spiky crosspieces and ruby-eyed skull pommels. :rolleyes:
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#485 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Considering sending my sword blade in for cryogenic treatment:
http://www.angelswor...heat_treats.php
Now THAT'S cold Hyrkanian steel! :)

#486 knifemaker

knifemaker

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

Je

Considering sending my sword blade in for cryogenic treatment:
http://www.angelswor...heat_treats.php
Now THAT'S cold Hyrkanian steel! :)

I can't believe at one time I defended this guy. Angel swords and their process is very controversial. I would really research this company before I would send them anything. Cryogenic freezing does help certain steels. Stainless steel being a steel that benefits the most. Tool steel and carbon steels do not hardly receive any benefit from the process unless the initial heat treatment was not very good or because the person heat treating the blade does not have the money to buy a setup that can do the job in one shot. Richtig is in the guiness book of world records for building common knives that could cut through railroad spikes up to 8 times. He did this using the salt pot method back in the 1920's before cryo was around.

#487 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:29 AM

Barbara Barrett posts an exhaustive look at REH's blade collection here:

http://www.blackgate...ion/#more-35969

#488 knifemaker

knifemaker

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

I recently saw this, and thought it was pretty good. I wish they would have shown Kevin Cashen and Rick Furrer more on how they made the steel. Both are great minds in modern bladesmithing. This is about a rare viking sword that used crucible steel and goes into making the sword.

http://www.pbs.org/w...king-sword.html

#489 Sharn

Sharn

Hyborian Blue Iron Swordmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Here's my latest sword project I finished. Based on Irish swords from the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD.

2161.jpg

- A long bow and a strong bow, and let the sky grow dark!
The cord to the nock, the shaft to the ear, and the king of
Koth for a mark -
- I remember, The dark woods, masking slopes of sombre
hills;
The grey clouds' leaden everlasting arch;
The dusky streams that flowed without a sound,
And the lone winds that whispered down the passes. -
(Cimmeria, REH)
- Every hour harms, it's the last one that kills -

#490 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Here's my latest sword project I finished. Based on Irish swords from the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD.

2161.jpg

Bad-a$$, Sharn.   B)

Yeah, I've seen one example at the Irish Museum in Dublin and seen plenty of drawings. One could perhaps see a bit of heritage from (some of) the La Tene swords and also see how that might have morphed into blades like the "Baliol sword" and the sgein dubh.

Perhaps Cormac na Connacht (of the BMM yarns, not the reiver of the 5th century) wielded something similar, though maybe more formidable and suited to cavalry (sort of a Gaelic spatha)?

BTW, good to see ya back and re-upping PB's thread.   :D

#491 cromsblood

cromsblood

Blood of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

2161.jpg

That's a beautiful piece of handiwork there Sharn, nice job!

#492 Sharn

Sharn

Hyborian Blue Iron Swordmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:20 AM

Thank you for the kind words. This is the first of four initial projects I have planned. All are more or less insular Celtic inspired swords. I also have some Hyborian inspired stuff for the future. My hope is to start producing some regular items as well as some one-offs like the above piece. It is actually more of a prototype just to get the creative bug awake.
- A long bow and a strong bow, and let the sky grow dark!
The cord to the nock, the shaft to the ear, and the king of
Koth for a mark -
- I remember, The dark woods, masking slopes of sombre
hills;
The grey clouds' leaden everlasting arch;
The dusky streams that flowed without a sound,
And the lone winds that whispered down the passes. -
(Cimmeria, REH)
- Every hour harms, it's the last one that kills -

#493 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Posted a piece on master bladesmith Daniel Winkler on www.frontierpartisans.com.

Winkler made his reputation on period-correct knives and tomahawks — eastern frontier mainly, also some fur trade-era stuff. Since 9-11 he's also been making custom blades for special operators. Navy SEAL "Mark Owen" carried one of his knives on the bin Laden Raid.

Some day...

#494 Char-Vell

Char-Vell

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

I have no swords just one of these:

400578.jpg

and one of these:

CTK410-14HC-condor-golok-icon.jpg

#495 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Never underestimate the value of a good machete. :)

#496 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

A while back I read a report that claimed the weapon that performed the greatest amount of killing worldwide is not the AK47, the M16, the handgun or any other firearm. It is the machete. Think Rwanda. About half a million people were massacred in that civil war, most of them by machete. It's just that almost all the killing takes place in sub-Saharan Africa, south Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and other third-world venues that don't have any oil and are therefore of little interest to the Western world. In a sense, we are now living in the golden age of the sword.

#497 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:50 AM

A while back I read a report that claimed the weapon that performed the greatest amount of killing worldwide is not the AK47, the M16, the handgun or any other firearm. It is the machete. Think Rwanda. About half a million people were massacred in that civil war, most of them by machete. It's just that almost all the killing takes place in sub-Saharan Africa, south Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and other third-world venues that don't have any oil and are therefore of little interest to the Western world. In a sense, we are now living in the golden age of the sword.

So what you're saying is...

la-deuxieme-volet-machete-kills.jpg

#498 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:20 AM

So what you're saying is...

la-deuxieme-volet-machete-kills.jpg

Exactly, Fierro.  B) 

I'd read the same thing in several different venues, JMR.  Makes sense.  As I told one buddy who owned numerous guns (I own a couple myself) and who sneered at edged weapons: "They never jam or need reloading. You buy one and you're done." A machete is a damn sight cheaper to buy and keep operational than a gun.  

Also, it's hard (and expensive) to dismember a corpse and toss it in an alkaline strip-pit using only a firearm.  :)

#499 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

I have no swords just one of these:

400578.jpg

and one of these:

CTK410-14HC-condor-golok-icon.jpg

Cool, Char-vell!  B)

Sold most of my swords (and guns) a few years ago. However, I retained by qama:

img0003rk.jpg

Not a pic of my personal weapon (I have no photos of it), but nearly identical. Just a classic design and still carried/used in the Caucasus and points east.

Oh yeah, and I still have my machete I've owned (found it in an outbuilding) since I was 13.   :)

#500 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:02 AM

On top of everything else, there's no way to ban machetes or confiscate them. They're absolutely essential agricultural tools in all of the places I mentioned above. Without machetes, the harvest doesn't get brought in, everybody starves and, more importantly, they can't pay taxes, which is what keeps the government (assuming there is one) afloat.