Photo

Cold Hyrkanian Steel: Show Us Your Babies!

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#1 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:02 AM

Steel worthy of a Cimmerian mercenary ? Let's see some of our members weapons .
C',mon dogs show the ladies yer tools !! This pic is of my baby , my masterpiece , & my bane as she ain't quite done yet & she's high maintenance . I just pulled her outta my basement which I just found out is kinda humid & she got some slight surface rust so I been polishin' her butt all day . She'll be on the great-room wall (yeah right , my living-room wall) . I got some more engraving & gold inlaying to do on 'er hilt & more leatherwork obviously . I can't even tell you how long I spent carving that hickory handle & sewing the calfskin over it , but it took longer than it did to forge that damn blade . Ya can't see it too good in this pic but the cross-guard is octagonal in cross section (I mean hexagonal) & has a spiral twist to it & slightly tapers in at the handle , & is slightly flattened at the ends I don't like to brag but that took some serious mojo to pull off & that damned little octagonal (hex also) ring-guard was hell to hammer-weld onto the cross !

Posted Image
Oh yeah she's a five-footer & despite her size , she's a lady at less than 4 lbs & shes balanced so sweetly at the hilt you could swing her easily one-handed , but if you ever put yer paws on milady knaves it'll go hard with ye . Man am I having fun learning all this H.T.M.L. code crap !

Edited by Kortoso, 18 May 2006 - 04:55 PM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#2 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:26 AM

Here's some detail on the engraving. She will have some more leatherwork when she's done too , a nicer hanging rain-guard than this short practice one worked around the cross & ring & a sleeve betwween it & the engraved area on the lugs .
Posted Image

Damn do I have to get a decent digital camera . I used to have a fancy $1200 mavica with 30 times zoom & all kinda goodies , & got spoiled , now I'm using a buck-fifty cheapo & I can't get any kind of decent shots at all . You can barely see the color I got in the steel of the hilt . I used a couple diff. chemicals & played a torch on it to get the black/blueing which fades to a red in the middle then deep purple where it meets the blade , had no idea what I was doing but it turned out beautiful .

Besides one or two in my books I saw a couple of these mercenary swords in person at the museum downtown Chicago years ago when I was younger , they were almost hidden in a case in a dark corner which bugged me as they have the richest history of most all swords . I & fell in love with the story of them , the design of them & the use of them , as most any doppelsoldern & landesknechts who ever wielded one in war rarely lived to get payed ,to inherit their promised land or use their hands ever again . These ladies were almost always widows . But even most of the ones I have seen in museums have really ugly wroughtiron-railing looks to them , much less the only 1 or 2 'replicas' I've ever seen in catalogs . So realising I would never get a real one , no matter how ugly & not wanting an ugly one especially if it was only a replica , I decided I could only get a beautiful one if I made it myself & the designs are historically accurate & have much significance to me I'd never get elsewhere . Don't think I'll ever cheat on milady & set my hand to another one again tho .

Back to edit again,...I been playing around with this photopaint/draw program trying to learn how to do digital art & tweak crappy photos . Since I can't yet take decent pics w/my cheapo camera I tried to edit a photo to enhance some o' the details . Still looks like phllpphhh . I scribbled out some shadows & smudged a few lines to try & enhance . I can draw paint & airbrush my heiny off , but trying to draw or paint with a damn mouse & cursor just feels like bad sorcery & I need lotsa practice . You can kinda see the twist in the hilt a bit better.
Posted Image
Oh yeah , here's something some might find interesting .The blade is a nice quality carbon spring steel , & wanting to use a similar steel rather than cast some cheapo brass or bronze for the hilt etc. & having a definite design in mind to match the design for my handle , I wanted exactly the design you see above . If I got a slab of flat steel for it to start with I would've hammered on it for weeks ,grinded on it for weeks more & maybe still never got it as nice as above . I found the highest quality ,expensive tool steel , tempered 3 foot long hex shaped breaker-bar & hammered , twisted , drilled , filed & ground it to the shape I needed . It's now 18 inch across. The ring-guard I then hammerwelded onto the cross was also a high-quality tool-steel hex-key I slowly hammered into a perfect circle & then hammerwelded it to the cross .
Posted Image

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 10 August 2005 - 07:27 AM.

" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "

#3 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:27 AM

I no longer have any weapons; used to have a huge two-handed bearded axe that I made the handle for, complete with faux leopard fur grip :) Wish I still had it to hang on the wall.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#4 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:38 AM

I ' lost' a couple weapons over the years too & gave some to friends/family . I broke my heart last week, I was in my garage & something (?) duh... made me take my mace & wanna stick the spiky wings into this gnarly weathered old post , I thought it would look aesthetic sitting there I guess ,or for a photo . & I baby-tapped it against the wood , the steel thunked nicely & stuck deep in the old wood & at the same time cracked apart at the weld so i ruined a nice historically authentic 'looking' but I guess cheaply made mace . Paperweight now .

Posted Image

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 11 August 2005 - 08:01 AM.

#5 Jason

Jason

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:03 AM

WOW Painbrush! :o Nice work! Very impressive.

Sadly I have no weapons ... except my wit!

:blink:

#6 loonatik

loonatik

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

Nice!!

Borrow a good camera and put up a better photo. :)
All fled--all done, so lift me on the pyre--
The Feast is over, and the lamps expire.

Robert E. Howard's last words

Look upon my Works,Ye Mighty,and Despair! - Ozymandias

#7 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

I have a nice Del Tin 2070 - that's the one you see on my shoulder - and I'm expecting an Angus Trim in the mail any day now...

Here's the DT:
Posted Image

Edited by Kortoso, 09 August 2005 - 05:15 PM.

#8 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:55 AM

That's a nice one, DelTin arm. makes some nice stuff . I can't believe I never heard of Angus Trim before now , those are some of the most beautiful repro's i've laid eyes on & I've always loved longsword styles & bastardswords (everyday warriors & soldiers weapons) rather than the fancy rapiers & court-swords that most people like . When I was a kid I loved all sorts of fantasy-based blades with flamy blades & spiky angly hilts , now I can't stand that stuff & I'm a geek for the historically accurate & the simple but beautiful styles that are based on their real functions rather than than fashion . Even saying that , I have to say that those beautiful perfect simple hilts scream out for some oak-leaf or thistle engravings .They're a little pricy but when I decide which bastardsword I'm definitely gonna buy one when I can spare some reales . I've had my eye on this pricy damascus-bladed viking sword for a while but I think I'll get one of those Angus ones first , besides I already have one of those fancy-shmancy Marto viking swords they had years ago based on a real historical museum piece . thanks for that link Kortoso !
Posted Image

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 11 August 2005 - 08:08 AM.

#9 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:18 AM

link?
Oh, LINK!

Angus Trim swords
Nope they ain't sposed to be purty, they're fer hackin folks heads off, they are (hypothetically)...

#10 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,971 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:48 AM

Beautiful, PB, beautiful. 5' long and 4 1/2 lb, eh? An admirable killing tool.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#11 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:51 AM

Beautiful, PB, beautiful.? ? 5' long and 4 1/2 lb, eh??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks ! she's closer to 4 lbs. Don't sound much, but I'm sure you know the difference if you've ever hefted a blade at arms length . She's balanced middle just slightly past the cross & slightly down the ricasso so nicely you could fence with her one-handed if you had to .

An admirable killing tool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Milady is still a virgin ! l.o.l.

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 10 August 2005 - 07:02 AM.

#12 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

Lovely piece of work!
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#13 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:15 AM

Here's a cool site I found today , they have a lot of steel from dif. companies & their prices are better than 'some' other sites I've looked at .
http://www.thesteels...dievalmarto.htm
That Marto 543 Viking sword near the bottom o/t page is similar to the one in my crappy pic. above , except mine was some kind of pricier limited ed. (somebody bought it for me, I ain't nuts!) - with a silver hilt instead of that brass one , it has a celtic knotwork design of intertwined dragons half down the blade & I took my hilt apart to add a few more ounces of weight at the handle to counterbalance the heavy blade & customized the handle to red , so phlllppphhh , you can't have one just like mine l.o.l.

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 11 August 2005 - 08:34 AM.

#14 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:46 PM

Painbrush, there's a story behind that reconstruction. What you have is truly based on an actual archaeological find.

Some swords have a metal piece at the mouth of the scabbard called a "locket" (sometimes incorrectly called a "chape" which is really at the other end). When a sword sits in the earth for a long time the metal corrodes, and sometimes when two pieces of metal corrode when in contact with each other (say the crossguard and the locket), they fuse.

The original of the sword you have was conserved or reconstructed in the museum incorrectly. You can see it shown like your sword in several older books on Viking swords.

Later, detailed analysis (including X-rays) changed their interpretation. Basically the lower part of your sword's crossguard, the hollow part, would have been the locket on the scabbard. The braidlike border on the guard would have been the top of the scabbard. The top of the leaflike design in the center would have also been at the top of the locket.

Sorry, I'm a sword geek. ;)

Don't let these facts stop you from enjoying your sword, though. :)

#15 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:41 PM

Painbrush, there's a story behind that reconstruction. What you have is truly based on an actual archaeological find.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lready have one of those fancy-shmancy Marto viking swords they had years ago based on a real historical museum piece .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I'm a sword geek. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You def. know your stuff . I knew about that cross/scabbard lock deal from some pictures I have in a book of that exact sword-hilt remnant , tho I can't rememb. offhand what museum or collection it's in . That's the reason I took the hilt apart in the first place to see if I could seperate them , but the brainsurgeons at Marto molded it all one piece , not realising it was supposed to be seperate decoration , even tho they did a beatiful job of copying it for the mold . The way they cast the piece made it so that I didn't want to try to cut it or grind it off . It still looks okay tho & has some quirky back-story to it too . When I told my significant other the humorous story behind that sword in an old marto catalog , she had no clue what I was talking about haha , but since I showed it to her in the catalog & it was I guess the only one I commented on I guess for my birthday she thought it would be a good gift !
The sculptors did a good job of re-creating the hilt as the original has 'some' parts of the detail eroded off with age (as you obviously have seen before too )& they had to 'fill-in-the-blanks . You would 'think' such skilled sword sculptors would be privy to that knowledge ! Cool info like that is part of the reason why I wanted to start this topic thread , 'cause I'm a sword geek too . I wanna see some weapons made by other geeks too because I've seen that history buffs & re-enactors are some of the most particular to details people you'll ever meet & are just as likely to forge their own as buy an inferior replica .

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 11 August 2005 - 07:43 PM.

#16 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:12 PM

Hey Kortoso ,(or anybody f.t.matter) before I actually finish my two-hander I posted in my first couple posts above (if I ever get around to it) -give me an honest critique of what you think ,if it's lacking at all . Don't pull any punches , I posted the pics so I could maybe get feedback on the design . I didn't copy it from any one antique in particular but 'derived' the design from a couple diff. swords that were similar in shape . The handle is all mine though . I've been trying to get a set of "A record of European Arms & armour Through 7 centuries" (the bible of arms & armor!) - the huge 5 volume set by Sir Guy Laking Towr/Londn Armories curator (I know you must know him already, he makes even Oakeshott look like a punk hahah ), it's not his other 3 volume set . It's the set from I believe 1929 , it's been out of print for years & is 'supposed' to be re-printed later this year or next at about $250 in the U.K. ( prob. closer to 300 by the time it gets imported here to the colonies ).

Been trying to find it for a decade , there 'used' to be a full set at the downtown Detroit main library branch . You used to have to literally request in writing the name for someone to go 3 floors down in the basement archives to dig them out & bring 'em up , needless to say they weren't 'take-home' volumes but somebody did just that years ago & they're history . Last time I got to flip through them about 8 years ago I based a couple quick sketches for my design above on some of the pictures of swords in it never before published , some never displayed to the public before that book or since . Since all I had were my few quick design sketches , I've never been able to compare my sword above & it's general 'shape' or outline I guess to any of the historical ones I got the ideas from out of that book .

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 11 August 2005 - 08:37 PM.

#17 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:59 PM

Meant to comment on the two-hander. Ironhand is right, four pounds is very light for a sword that size - in a good way. You probably know to taper the thickness of the blade down to the point ("distal tapering"). That's something they don't do at Marto, last time I checked.

The work you've done on the sword is very good. Let me know when you're ready to cut something with it.

In The Hour of the Dragon, there's at least one two-handed greatsword (actually two not that I think about it) used by Conan. He uses one from horseback, which is not how they did it in the middle ages, but hey the Hyborian Age was different.

#18 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:35 AM

Meant to comment on the two-hander. Ironhand is right, four pounds is very light for a sword that size - in a good way. You probably know to taper the thickness of the blade down to the point ("distal tapering"). That's something they don't do at Marto, last time I checked.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Xactomundo , I forged an even taper all the way down the design from 2" at the ricasso down to about slightly more than an inch wide right before the tip , which I pointed like an estoc rather than the blunt tips I always see on the museum swords of sim. design . I don't credit that to their original design so much as to years of erosion & folks using them as crutches & sticking 'em in the ground & leaning on 'em like Frazettas Conan haha . Then I 'hollow ground it' I guess you'd say for the shape & that distal taper , more like to say that I just sanded my ass off for weeks haha. A big guy could fence with it , or use it as a club, spear, for loppin off spear tips or legging horses , whatever required . A lot of thought went into lighteneing the blade while not weakening it , keeping it aesthetically decent & 'trying' to stay hist. accurate . Honestly can't tell ya the rockwell hardness of the blade or anything too in depth 'cause I'm just a back-yard smithy haha . i knew I'd never prob. find a real one available f/sale/auction much less afford a real hist. one so I had to make it miself , I ainta gonna shill out $500 to $600 Thalers for an ugly innacurate replica w/ cheapo brittle cast/wrought iron hilt , so why not do the best job & make it to it's fullest design potential ?! A LOT a hard work & even more homework . If I do get a decent camera soon , I'll bump those crap pics above & maybe just put 1 good one that shows the details & whole shape of it .

& I agree about marto leaving much to be desired , that's all just mass-market eye-candy . I would rather buy Museum Replicas , DelTin or other quality hist. accurate stuff like those AngusTrims , even if you end up having to repeatedly polish the steel . But if somebody buys ya one of course you'd keep it , & so I ashamedly admit I have one of those Gladius brand 18 Kt. gold-plated 'Excaliburs' too(Gladius & Marto are almost Identical in their stuff) Would 've been cool if they really did have 20 or 40 series stainless blades in the middle ages , we'd have a lot more in circulation now & they'd be cheaper !!

Let me know when you're ready to cut something with it .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey , I said my baby was a virgin , I gotta keep 'er that way ! haha, I just rememberd a few years ago I had this really nice chef's French-knife . Not one of those late-night commercial ones , a real honest to goodness over $100 bucks or more one I was given 'years' ago when I was a failed sous-chef . - ( Okay I may have lifted it hehheh ), -but I did ask the head chef first if I could keep one as we had a dozen , he said we'll see . That means 'YEAH' right ?haha , actually the place went outta business so we 'all' liquidated the kitchen . Anyhow it was a beautiful tempered heavy razor-sharp cleaver of a knife, & the coconut was so light , see where this is going ?ha . I figured being razor sharp & heavy as hell & tempered beautifully it would slice the coconut like butter . & It did , but chinked the blade edge bad enough that years later of re-sharpening it's still notched . I wanna swing that sword in a really big way at a hanging hogs'leg & earn my proof-mark but if I chinked the blade I'd prob. cry ! haha

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 12 August 2005 - 07:44 AM.

#19 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,971 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

The way you describe the"really nice chef's French-knife", it sounds like it could be mistaken for a Medieval (or later) hunter's falchion(?). Those were not used so much for fighting or killing as for carving up prey or dressing game.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#20 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

Yeah, by distal taper I was referring to tapering the thickness of the blade as well as the width. But whatever works, especially if it gets the point of balance closer to the cross.

Chef's knives are for fine truffles and foi gras, machetes are for coconuts. :)

Check out swordforum.com if you ahven't already. Good place, as good as this.