75 replies to this topic

#41 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

I would add, some of the most disturbing REH moments in the movie were just made up by the director, Michael Meyer. So, "Momma the car won't start!", or his stomping out into the corn with his sword whacking away and then going to his knees, all made up, never in the book, conduct never seen by REH. Michael explained that he wanted to portray REH a certain way, with a certain amount of weakness, and so he just made up some stuff to show it. It certainly makes the story more sympathetic, but not more accurate.

These insertions are easy to spot. If Novalyne isn't there, then she couldn't have seen it and have written about it. Duh.

#42 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

I would add, some of the most disturbing REH moments in the movie were just made up by the director, Michael Meyer. So, "Momma the car won't start!", or his stomping out into the corn with his sword whacking away and then going to his knees, all made up, never in the book, conduct never seen by REH. Michael explained that he wanted to portray REH a certain way, with a certain amount of weakness, and so he just made up some stuff to show it. It certainly makes the story more sympathetic, but not more accurate.

These insertions are easy to spot. If Novalyne isn't there, then she couldn't have seen it and have written about it. Duh.

Hey Paul! I was just having to explain all of that Friday night to my girlfriend while we watched "TWWW". The movie has its flaws, but REH fans are still very lucky it was ever made, IMO.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#43 Carcosa

Carcosa

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

Yes, and the movie is...a movie, not a documentary or even a docu-drama. But I think they captured the spirit well. Great film...and very moving.

#44 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:20 PM

I would add, some of the most disturbing REH moments in the movie were just made up by the director, Michael Meyer.

Little correction: Michael Scott Myers was the screenwriter and a co-producer; Dan Ireland directed.

Rusty

#45 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:34 AM

Rusty Burke wrote, 'Like quite a lot of artists, he had his quirks, foibles, and occasional outbursts of looniness.' I understand what Rusty means by that, yet I add that people in ALL lines of professional endeavor are much the same. Plumbers, attorneys, janitors, nurses, whatever, they have quirks and foibles and outbursts. Such are not limited to ?creative types,? they are simply noticed more often when those creative types achieve a level of notoriety not echoed by plumbers, nurses, whatever. Artists can be crazy or not...when they are, they certainly get more attention. ;)

Having never met Mrs. Price-Ellis, my impression of her is a product of my respect for Rusty?s (and others) experience with her combined with my appreciation of her book. She was certainly not a ?fame groupie.? (It?s horrible to watch all of the sharks and guppies and minnows and bottom dwellers fighting over bits and pieces of Michael Jackson?s notoriety.) I believe it was very brave of her to publish a journal she had written in her twenties (that ?period of transition? for most of us.) She didn?t seek publication of the memoir to ride whatever coattails Bob?s posthumous fame provided; her career as a teacher was rewarding enough. She simply wanted his memory to be treated with not only affection, but accuracy. She did a wonderful thing.

Regarding the ?Momma, the car won?t start? scene in TWWW, I think it?s an effective addition to the cinematic telling of the story. Especially the way that Dan Ireland (as Rusty indicated, not Meyer, who wrote the screenplay?and who was a student of Mrs. Price-Ellis,) filmed it, with the Zimmer/Gregson-Williams score, portrayed a troubled man with an active imagination. IMO, portraying Bob Howard as a troubled man with an active imagination is much, much more honest (and, again, accurate) than claiming he had psychoses as the ?de Camp-followers :blink: ? have done.

Mrs. Novalyn Price-Ellis was a class act, deserving of the deepest tilt of the mead horn I can offer.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#46 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:47 AM

Just happened to notice that the "wiki" entry is VERY short (sorry, no link).

The "Whole Wide World" entry ain't much better: http://en.wikipedia....hole_Wide_World

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#47 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

Some have tried to say (including Steve Allsup) that Novalyne could've somehow prevented REH's suicide, or that she was a gold-digger. The late, great Steve Tompkins weighs in on that topic here:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=150

#48 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

I know there are several members of this forum whom I respect very much who have met Novalyne Price-Ellis personally. I haven?t heard any negative statements from them about her that I remember. I too do not believe she pulled the trigger or put the bullet in the gun nor do I believe she was a gold-digger. However, after reading her book as well as seeing the movie (which introduced me to REH), I firmly agree with Leo Grin's opinion of her as stated in his TC article "In Defense of Hester Ervin Howard."

Here is the link: http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=2143
BB

#49 Andradir

Andradir

The Mad Batter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

Some have tried to say .. that Novalyne could've somehow prevented REH's suicide...

As could his father, as could his friends, as could (insert any name of s.o. living near REH that time).
For the day.
One of the following attempts would work. You cannot prevent someone from committing suicide.

#50 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

I'm sure this is already a topic, but I couldn't find it, so...

I've read numerous short biographies of Robert E. Howard in forwards to books, about half of Dark Valley Destiny years ago, finding the style something to trudge through, and read Blood & Thunder, finding it quite enlightening, and just finished One Who Walked Alone. Of the three, I intend one day to finish Dark Valley Destiny with a different train of thought and I highly recommend Blood & Thunder as it covers his full life well, but I do believe if you really want to understand Robert E. Howard in his final years, One Who Walked Alone is a must. I am thankful both that Novalyne published it and that I was able to read it.

We who admire Robert E. Howard should be thankful Novalyne kept a diary or journal of her time with "Bob Howard," and that she was in fact such a good writer. With her journey with Robert E. Howard, her insights to all that was going on, I feel I know -- understand more than ever the tragic life of my favorite writer. My views of him, his relationship with his mother have been altered forever.

At the same time, I must thank Mark Finn for his strong contribution to my desire to learn about Robert E. Howard. Both books should be read togeher, I think.
Crom!

#51 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

Timed it. I found it in 27 seconds. :)

http://www.conan.com...h=1

#52 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

Thanks, Deuce.

Merged.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#53 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, Deuce.

Merged.

Yes, thanks Deuce.

And thanks for merging.

In 27 seconds, eh. I looked three pages in and missed it, sorry. For some reason when I go serching it's like everything gets mixed up and it takes me several times to find it. Weird.
Crom!

#54 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

In 27 seconds, eh. I looked three pages in and missed it, sorry. For some reason when I go serching it's like everything gets mixed up and it takes me several times to find it. Weird.

Are you "eyeballing" manually or using the Search function?

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#55 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

I eyeballed it. I didn't try the Search function as I haven't had much luck with it in the past. I'll try it again next time.
Crom!

#56 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

I eyeballed it. I didn't try the Search function as I haven't had much luck with it in the past. I'll try it again next time.

Click on the "Advanced Search" button. Put "walked" in the box. Click "Titles only". Hit "Search" at the bottom. The "Advanced Search" function works really well. You just need to enter keywords that are unique to the topic title.

#57 duaneshadow

duaneshadow

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:13 PM

birthday approaching and a copy of TWWW and Blood and Thunder are the only things on my list.
'why does he have to be a misfit? Why can't he be handsome and kind?'

'You're still a dreamer girl'.

#58 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

birthday approaching and a copy of TWWW and Blood and Thunder are the only things on my list.

Right on! B)

#59 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:07 AM

Rob Roehm has posted two informative blogs about Novalyne Price Ellis on Two-Gun-Raconteur:

http://rehtwogunraconteur.com/?p=648

http://rehtwogunraconteur.com/?p=6742
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#60 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:03 AM

Some have tried to say .. that Novalyne could've somehow prevented REH's suicide...

As could his father, as could his friends, as could (insert any name of s.o. living near REH that time).
For the day.
One of the following attempts would work. You cannot prevent someone from committing suicide.

REH had been contemplating suicide for a LONG time. Any "blame" rests squarely on his shoulders. Still, I think it possible he could've grown beyond that.