75 replies to this topic

#1 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:06 PM

Just found this info on one of the pulp sites that I frequent. thought that a few here would like to know about it.

One Who Walked Alone: Robert E. Howard - The Final Years by Novalyne P. Ellis
Donald Grant has issued a fourth printing of One Who Walked Alone: Robert E. Howard - The Final Years by Novalyne P. Ellis. Novalyne Price, the one girl Robert E. Howard dated, kept journals, diaries, and wrote short story-like essays of the conversations she had with Howard and other members of the Cross Plains community. After Howard killed himself on June 11, 1936 she held onto the old journals, thinking that someday she would write about him. One Who Walked Alone is the culmination of that dream. Here is an astounding and remarkable link with the past! Novalyne Price Ellis has written of Robert E. Howard as she knew him. This is not a second hand account. With photographs from Mrs. Ellis's collection. This is a 176 page hardcover edition. The retail price is $30 plus shipping. You can order from the Donald Grant website at http://www.grantbooks.com/
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#2 Lionmane

Lionmane

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 03:45 AM

This is a great book and I highly reccommend it to any REH fan. I bought a copy last year during Howard Days at the Cross Plains Public Library.
The movie based on it, "The Whole Wide World", is good, too.
"There They Wait In Fear, With Swords In Feeble Hands,
With Dreams To Be A King, First One Should Be A Man"

- MANOWAR

#3 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:31 PM

I saw the movie. Very moving. I need to get this book. :)

#4 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:57 AM

Just found this info on one of the pulp sites that I frequent. thought that a few here would like to know about it.

One Who Walked Alone: Robert E. Howard - The Final Years by Novalyne P. Ellis 
Donald Grant has issued a fourth printing of One Who Walked Alone: Robert E. Howard - The Final Years by Novalyne P. Ellis.  Novalyne Price, the one girl Robert E. Howard dated, kept journals, diaries, and wrote short story-like essays of the conversations she had with Howard and other members of the Cross Plains community.  After Howard killed himself on June 11, 1936 she held onto the old journals, thinking that someday she would write about him. One Who Walked Alone is the culmination of that dream.  Here is an astounding and remarkable link with the past! Novalyne Price Ellis has written of Robert E. Howard as she knew him.  This is not a second hand account.  With photographs from Mrs. Ellis's collection. This is a 176 page hardcover edition.  The retail price is $30 plus shipping.  You can order from the Donald Grant website at http://www.grantbooks.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey does anyone know if Novalyne Ellis Price is still alive?

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#5 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

One Who Walked Alone: Robert E. Howard - The Final Years by Novalyne P. Ellis?
Donald Grant has issued a fourth printing of One Who Walked Alone: Robert E. Howard - The Final Years by Novalyne P. Ellis.? Novalyne Price, the one girl Robert E. Howard dated, kept journals, diaries, and wrote short story-like essays of the conversations she had with Howard and other members of the Cross Plains community.? After Howard killed himself on June 11, 1936 she held onto the old journals, thinking that someday she would write about him. One Who Walked Alone is the culmination of that dream.? Here is an astounding and remarkable link with the past! Novalyne Price Ellis has written of Robert E. Howard as she knew him.? This is not a second hand account.? With photographs from Mrs. Ellis's collection. This is a 176 page hardcover edition.? The retail price is $30 plus shipping.? You can order from the Donald Grant website at http://www.grantbooks.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey does anyone know if Novalyne Ellis Price is still alive?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No , IIRC she died late 90's.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group
http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

Contribute to the Cross Plains Fire Relief Fund . Further details at http://www.rehupa.com

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#6 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:45 PM

Yeah, great book. I devoured it in one sitting. And of course, there's alot more in it than the movie could show.

Wish they would reprint Post Oaks and Sand Roughs, Howard's fictional boi.

#7 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

I'm currently reading One Who Walked Alone. I've already seen The Whole Wide World.

Anyway, I know Novalyne would write down conversations she had and keep a journal, but how did she remember everything REH said? I can't remember what I said earlier in the day. Did she have like a photographic memory type thing going on or what?

Also, I love reading about the racial memory thing. I think its extremely fascinating and would explain a lot of things.

#8 Borumas

Borumas

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

Good movie, lol, some people can remember conversations and if she normally kept a journal and wrote that kind of stuff down odds are she had become good at it herself. I had heard she wrote the book after being very tired of idiots saying Howard was a crazy guy or paranoied schitzo, she wanted the world to know that while he had some quirks, he was just a very passionate person and a man with a great immagination.
In 334BC Alexander met with Celtic warriors on the banks of the Danube and asked them what they feared most, expecting a reply that they feared him. Instead they stated "We fear only that the skies will fall on our heads."
The Celts regarded the Romans as barbarians due to their practice of murdering prisoners or selling prisoners, including women and children, into slavery.

#9 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:21 PM

I'm currently reading One Who Walked Alone. I've already seen The Whole Wide World.

Anyway, I know Novalyne would write down conversations she had and keep a journal, but how did she remember everything REH said? I can't remember what I said earlier in the day. Did she have like a photographic memory type thing going on or what?

Also, I love reading about the racial memory thing. I think its extremely fascinating and would explain a lot of things.

Different people have different types (and qualities) of memory/mnemonic strategies. Howard (and Winston Churchill) could read a long poem and then recite it from memory. Personally, I can remember everything about the summer evening (at age two and a half) when my mom took me out into the yard on the day of the Moon landing; conversation, lunar position, clothes, everything. Novalyne was really INTO Howard, which doesn't hurt.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#10 jak

jak

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

Novalyne was really INTO Howard, which doesn't hurt.

Haven't read the book yet. Let us know if it provides a bunch more insights than the film.

Can't help but think REH would have lived a lot longer if he and Novalyne really made a go of it. But then, she had her family with the other fella.

John A. Karr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#11 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

A great book that provides some terrific insights to REH.
The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#12 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

Haven't read the book yet. Let us know if it provides a bunch more insights than the film.

Can't help but think REH would have lived a lot longer if he and Novalyne really made a go of it. But then, she had her family with the other fella.

there's a lot more insight on Novalyne's thoughts and how she felt about stuff. There's a few more insights about REH in the book, than in the movie, especially about his beliefs.

Every time I read something about REH, I feel connected to him somehow. I feel that I am like him in a lot of ways. I don't have the writing ability (though I really wish I did), and there a few differences, but for the most part, i could really identify with REH.

also, the more I read the more disappointed I am that I can't make it to REH Days this year.

*****SPOILER ALERT******

There was one thing that was in the movie that i didn't understand that wasn't in the book (and it may not even be of any special significance).

In the movie, Bob took Novalyne out for a picnic (for lack of better term). it was where they were up high and they could see out over the river and stuff. Novalyne is walking and all of a sudden she runs across a wolf. they just look at each other for awhile and it walks away. Bob is nowhere to be seen and she calls to him but he doesn't answer.

I saw nothing of that scene in the book and I was wondering ever since I saw the movie if it had some sort of meaning or not?

#13 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:13 AM

there's a lot more insight on Novalyne's thoughts and how she felt about stuff. There's a few more insights about REH in the book, than in the movie, especially about his beliefs.

Every time I read something about REH, I feel connected to him somehow. I feel that I am like him in a lot of ways. I don't have the writing ability (though I really wish I did), and there a few differences, but for the most part, i could really identify with REH.

also, the more I read the more disappointed I am that I can't make it to REH Days this year.

*****SPOILER ALERT******

There was one thing that was in the movie that i didn't understand that wasn't in the book (and it may not even be of any special significance).

In the movie, Bob took Novalyne out for a picnic (for lack of better term). it was where they were up high and they could see out over the river and stuff. Novalyne is walking and all of a sudden she runs across a wolf. they just look at each other for awhile and it walks away. Bob is nowhere to be seen and she calls to him but he doesn't answer.

I saw nothing of that scene in the book and I was wondering ever since I saw the movie if it had some sort of meaning or not?

It has a meaning, but I can't remember exactly what. James van Hise, editor of Sword & Fantasy, interviewed the director (who was a student of Novalyne's) right after the movie came out. It was published in van Hise's Fantastic Worlds of Robert E. Howard. Not sure where it's stashed right now. I'll fill you in when I find it.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#14 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:06 AM

*****SPOILER ALERT******

It has a meaning, but I can't remember exactly what. James van Hise, editor of Sword & Fantasy, interviewed the director (who was a student of Novalyne's) right after the movie came out. It was published in van Hise's Fantastic Worlds of Robert E. Howard. Not sure where it's stashed right now. I'll fill you in when I find it.

thanks, i would appreciate that.

#15 Adam

Adam

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:52 PM

What do you think about her? :)

I don't know much about her and would like to know more - especially from seasoned REH fans :)

#16 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:14 PM

I don't know much about her and would like to know more - especially from seasoned REH fans :)

I thought her memoirs of Howard were exceptional.

She seemed like a first class lady to me.
The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#17 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:45 PM

I've seen the movie a couple of times, but I haven't read her book yet. She seems to have done REH proud. I wonder if she felt guilty about leaving him to go off to college before he killed himself. I can understand why she did it - she was an independent lady and REH was clear about being "one who walked alone". But maybe he was also crying out for help. Suicide has a bad effect on everyone. I gather she was pretty old when she wrote the book, so the memories must have stayed with her vividly.
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#18 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

Warlord of the Southwestern Shield Wall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:12 AM

Novalyne was overall a good thing for REH. She was a good friend, even if she didn't believe it at the time. You must read the book, One Who Walked Alone. It's been reissued by Grant, it's still a hardcover, it's still $30, but you will be glad you bought it. It will become one of your favorite books in your REH collection.
Mark Finn
Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
Second Edition now available from the Robert E. Howard Foundation Press

Finn's Home Away From Home, REDUX!

#19 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:19 PM

Novalyne was overall a good thing for REH. She was a good friend, even if she didn't believe it at the time. You must read the book, One Who Walked Alone. It's been reissued by Grant, it's still a hardcover, it's still $30, but you will be glad you bought it. It will become one of your favorite books in your REH collection.

And you can purchase new copies for $30 directly from the Cross Plains Public Library...

http://www.crossplai...ms for sale.htm

:)

#20 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:34 AM

Novalyne seems to have written her book to refute the many accounts she had read of Howard being a reclusive, paranoid, mother-obsessed nutcase. That was not the Bobby Howard she knew and she wanted to make it plain. I think we should take her at her word. After all, she was closer to Howard than almost anybody and all the other accounts were written by people who never met him.