Photo

Age Of Conan Fantasy Battle Game - Miniatures!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,556 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:26 AM

The cat is out of the bag over at Mongoose Publishing as head honcho Matt Sprange has delivered the news all miniature gaming and Conan fans have waited for:

Hi guys,

Yes, it is indeed Age of Conan that will be coming next year.

Now, we were going to have the big presentation thing going on, with previews of minis, peeks at the rules set, and so on. However, development spiraled on this game, and some new and very funky ideas have been thrown into the mix - some of which you may have heard about during our Kublacon presentation.

We are currently waiting to hear what is and is not possible from a technology perspective, so stay tuned and we'll have some news fairly soon!

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com

Aquilonia vs. Nemedia! Cimmerians vs. Aquilonians! Picts vs. Everyone!

B) B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#2 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

Man, I really hope the miniatures actually follow the stories as opposed to the comics, but judging by the good stuff we've had already from Mongoose it shouldn't be a worry.

As long as the Hyborians are clad in full plate mail (NOT lorica segmentia) I'll be happy!

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#3 wulfhere

wulfhere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

some new and very funky ideas have been thrown into the mix

This could be a very bad thing. We'll just have to wait and see.

#4 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:35 PM

Sounds great to me! I hope the miniatures aren't pre-painted, but I understand the appeal of prepainted to those who wish to game without painting tons of figures.

Hopefully it will be a skirmish level game, and not 15mm like the Mighty Armies game.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#5 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:44 PM

Hopefully it will be a skirmish level game, and not 15mm like the Mighty Armies game.

15mm!?!? How can you paint such tiny dudes?

#6 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

Exactly why I don't want them that small :D

Plus the level of detail on the smaller scales leaves alot to be desired. Only advantage I can see is getting more figures on a table for large battles.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#7 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

I have enough trouble painting 75mm stuff.. 15mm aint a figure, its a blob of pewter..

Heres hoping theyre a bit more realistically proportioned on hands, weapons etc.. no more people sized blades please.

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#8 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:02 PM

Hey guys,

I'm not catching on I think; are these minis for the rpg or is this something different, like that Marvel's Heroclix thing, where you pit a mini against another or something?

#9 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

I have enough trouble painting 75mm stuff.. 15mm aint a figure, its a blob of pewter..

Heres hoping theyre a bit more realistically proportioned on hands, weapons etc.. no more people sized blades please.

Budgie

Sorry to disagree with a fellow modeller, Budgie - but I go for the oversized stuff - so lets see some 2 people sized blades! :P

#10 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,556 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 04:45 AM

Hey guys,

I'm not catching on I think; are these minis for the rpg or is this something different, like that Marvel's Heroclix thing, where you pit a mini against another or something?

It's hasn't been announced yet if this will be a skirmisher game (Like Mordheim) or a mass combat game (like Warhammer Fantasy Battles(WHFB)) or both. But it will be a game separate from the RPG in that you will not need the RPG to play but I'm sure many will incorporate the game into their campaigns. There will be similarities to the current miniatures games out now but quality wise and rules wise I would imagine the closest game of comparison would be WHFB

wulfhere Posted Jun 1 2006, 08:47 AM

This could be a very bad thing. We'll just have to wait and see

This could mean pre-painted miniatures or maybe a different scale along the lines of Warmaster. I for one would like the pre-painted as I just do not have the time to paint a army but if the price isn't right then pre-painted will not be worth it. It's a thin line Mongoose has to walk between quality, price and scale.

#11 wulfhere

wulfhere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:00 AM

wulfhere Posted Jun 1 2006, 08:47 AM

This could be a very bad thing. We'll just have to wait and see

This could mean pre-painted miniatures or maybe a different scale along the lines of Warmaster. I for one would like the pre-painted as I just do not have the time to paint a army but if the price isn't right then pre-painted will not be worth it. It's a thin line Mongoose has to walk between quality, price and scale.

As long as it's just a matter of scale or miniatures I won't be concerned, but if these "new and very funky ideas" are modifications to the Hyborian world and how it is presented then I will be concerned. Every deviation or dilution that bears CPIs stamp of approval makes it easier for the next thing to take even bigger liberties with Conan & his world.

#12 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:29 AM

If their coming pre-painted I don't see how the can be 15mm unless Mongoose has an excellent system set up for painting them. Otherwise all we would end up buying are tiny lumps of painted palastic or metal.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#13 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:17 AM

I'd quite like a Conan-style D&D boardgame, like Heroquest or something. :D

I've always really wanted to get into Warhammer, but they don't really cater for proper barbarians. There are the Chaos Marauders, but I don't want a barbarian army worshipping amoral demons of the warp! I planned on buying and converting a couple of chaos units, but removing all chaos elements, thus making them rebels against Law and Chaos, but that kind of fizzled out.

Wonder if they'll be including giant beasties like Sons of Set and grey apes...

#14 jackx

jackx

fvror tevtonicvs!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:51 PM

Marauder armies are light cavalry armies anyways... but their background is really more diverse than just being one-dimensional Chaos worshippers. Orcs would be the ideal "barbarian" army, if they weren't full of "funny" and "joke" units, and if the actual hulking greenskinned brutes packed slightly more punch, instead of being one of the weakest infantry forces in the game. :/

I'm curious as to what exactly this game turns out to be, but I'd definitely not want pre-painted miniatures, as, as I have stated before, there really is no lack of both good (and sometimes also free) skirmish and large battle rules, so unless this is somehow the single best set of rules to ever be created, the rules won't be of much importance with regard to whether I'll buy it or not.
Posted Image
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace
no peace!

#15 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

I'd quite like a Conan-style D&D boardgame, like Heroquest or something. :D

I've always really wanted to get into Warhammer, but they don't really cater for proper barbarians. There are the Chaos Marauders, but I don't want a barbarian army worshipping amoral demons of the warp! I planned on buying and converting a couple of chaos units, but removing all chaos elements, thus making them rebels against Law and Chaos, but that kind of fizzled out.

Wonder if they'll be including giant beasties like Sons of Set and grey apes...

I have been hoping for a game I could get into myself. Warhammer has too much goofy crap and includes guns and cannons (just doesn't fit into my own personal connotations of heroic fantasy). Reaper has a skirmish game called Warlord that I have played a few times and is alot of fun, but they also have guns and there is no barbarian faction.

#16 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,556 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

Some more news from Mongoose on the new Age of Conan miniatures game:

Hi guys,

Okay, we had The Grand Plan already laid out for the Age of Conan miniatures game - and then some new technology/techniques hoved into view and set things back somewhat. . .

We do have a working set of rules for the game, and they have officially been deemed Most Excellent

As to whether it will be a Skirmish or Battle game, this lies on whether we do traditional plastic/metal miniatures or pre-painted, respectively. In the fullness of time, however, one will not necessarily preclude the other.

Our factories are currently mocking up some prototypes using the new techniques I have been hinting about. If they look good, you may see some previews very soon. They may also change the way we approach miniatures games completely. If not, you'll never see them, and it will be back to our original plans

That said, if everything works out as we expect (hope), you are going to be blown away

As for factions, Cimmerians, Stygians, Aquilonians and Turhanians have been mooted as possible starting points. However, this is by no means set in stone.

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com

Sounds damn good! B)

#17 mcrow24

mcrow24

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:05 PM

Sounds damn good! B)

Now if only I had the money to keep buying all the cool Conan stuff Mongoose keeps publishing. :angry:

Edited by mcrow24, 12 June 2006 - 11:05 PM.

#18 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:24 PM

A few posts today on the Mongoose boards, by people involved in developing the game, have confirmed the miniatures will be pre-painted. Although I prefer painting my own, realistically I am so slow at it I would never get around to actually playing the game :D I can always repaint the ones that I really want to.

#19 jackx

jackx

fvror tevtonicvs!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

Good to know, even if it's bad news for me.
But then, I have lots of 40k stuff to paint and convert anyways...
Posted Image
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace
no peace!

#20 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,556 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

A few posts today on the Mongoose boards, by people involved in developing the game, have confirmed the miniatures will be pre-painted. Although I prefer painting my own, realistically I am so slow at it I would never get around to actually playing the game :D I can always repaint the ones that I really want to.

I've checked everywhere on the 'Goose site and there has yet to be any confirmation that the miniatures will be pre-painted. Can you give us a link, Primeval?