31 replies to this topic

#1 Gregzilla

Gregzilla

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 11:19 PM

Does anyone know if a downloadable version of the font used in the opening credits of Conan the Barbarian is available? Or one similar to the one used for the title of this website even (which I think is very close - if not the same)?

Thanks,
Gregzilla

#2 realwecan

realwecan

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:27 PM

Does anyone know if a downloadable version of the font used in the opening credits of Conan the Barbarian is available? Or one similar to the one used for the title of this website even (which I think is very close - if not the same)?

Thanks,
Gregzilla

What is the "Conan the Barbarian"?

#3 Gregzilla

Gregzilla

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:51 PM

"Conan the Barbarian", the first movie. The opening credits used a really cool type-face. I was wondering if there was a similar PC font.

-Gregzilla

#4 BlackThorne

BlackThorne

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 02:45 PM

Does anybody know where i can download the fonts that where used for the movie title?

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 05:09 AM

You can do a search for TTF files or fonts.

I recommend:

: Hebrew

You could also check http://hyboria.xoth.net/resources/

Enjoy!

Jay

#6 Bri

Bri

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 04:43 AM

Speaking of Conan and fonts, I really like that CPI is having everyone who licenses Conan use the same Conan title font. Whether it's the Dark Horse comic, the Robert E. Howard books (Wandering Star and Ballantine), the McFarlane Toys, or even this web page, everyone is using the same font to say CONAN. I think it's a great idea; it drives product recognition, and ties all the Conan merchandise and the franchise together.

-Bri

#7 Patric

Patric

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 08:41 PM

Speaking of Conan and fonts, I really like that CPI is having everyone who licenses Conan use the same Conan title font.  Whether it's the Dark Horse comic, the Robert E. Howard books (Wandering Star and Ballantine), the McFarlane Toys, or even this web page, everyone is using the same font to say CONAN.  I think it's a great idea; it drives product recognition, and ties all the Conan merchandise and the franchise together.

-Bri

That is the purpose of it ;)

Patric
CPI

#8 Irskuld

Irskuld

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:21 AM

When? oh! when somebody are goin' to make the font from the blade of the "Father's Sword" from Conan The Barbarian movie?

So many thousands of font types on the internet for free and none are even close to the "Cimmerian runes" from the blade of that fantastic sword!

Pity... :(

#9 Guest_Croms Bones_*

Guest_Croms Bones_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:05 AM

When? oh! when somebody are goin' to make the font from the blade of the "Father's Sword" from Conan The Barbarian movie?

So many thousands of font types on the internet for free and none are even close to the "Cimmerian runes" from the blade of that fantastic sword!

You might try uploading a picture of the font to whatthefont.com. That's a nifty little tool that can pick out fonts based on a graphic quite frequently.

#10 DeathTyrant

DeathTyrant

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

See what you make of these.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

#11 Irskuld

Irskuld

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

You might try uploading a picture of the font to whatthefont.com. That's a nifty little tool that can pick out fonts based on a graphic quite frequently.

I'm one step ahead of you...

I already did that in whatthefont.com with no results <_<

That's why I'm here with the Conan "experts" :rolleyes:

Maybe someone should contact one of those "font designers" and give him the idea of making a font based on the cimmerian runes. I don't think those are trademark...yet.

Edited by Irskuld, 24 January 2007 - 10:16 PM.

#12 Xaltotun

Xaltotun

Undead Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

That would be a sweeeet font to have, for sure! ;)
The only two Conan-like fonts I've used are Desperado (vaguely suitable), and the font Ronan ($22 ain't cheap, but its VERY similar--almost exact). I also use Gaze Normal, which is seen in the Conan RPG books by Mongoose in quote-blocks from the stories and novels. If it were available for $20 or less, I'd certainly snatch it up!

Edited by Xaltotun, 24 January 2007 - 11:48 PM.

#13 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:03 AM

The "font" was probably a "one-off" created only for the sword.
If you're really driven, get a hold of FontCreator and make it yourself.

#14 Odoakris

Odoakris

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

Does anybody know who actually created the Conan font ? Was it Ron Cobb or William Stout or someone else ? I think the very first time we ever saw this font was at the start of Conan The Barbarian...

#15 Odoakris

Odoakris

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:28 AM

I'm still wondering who created the font... nobody seems to know. After watching CTB again, it struck me how great the letters look in the title sequence. For a movie of that time, they look awesome. They didn't have computer effects, so I'm wondering if the silver effect is painted, or if those letters were actually crafted in metal.

It just looks like somebody spent a whole lot of work on that font; it's so good that they still use it today for the comics and almost everything else. So it would be great to know who was the artist...

#16 ZAMORANO

ZAMORANO

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:17 PM

HOLA A TODOS ESCRIBO EN ESPA?OL PORQUE SE MUY POCO INGLES, NO TENDREIS PROBLEMAS PARA TRADUCIR ESTO AL INGLES CON EL DICCIONARIO DE GOOGLE
HE VISTO QUE ESTAIS BUSCANDO LA TIPOGRAFIA DE LAS RUNAS DE LA ESPADA DEL PADRE DE CONAN.
ES VERDAD QUE NO EXISTE EN LAS PAGINAS DE DESCARGA DE FUENTES ,
YO LA HE BUSCADO INTENSAMENTE NO LA ENCONTRE ASI QUE LA HE CREADO BASANDOME EN LAS RUNAS DE LA ESPADA, ( LAS RUNAS QUE FALTABAN PARA COMPLETAR EL ALFABETO LAS HE DISE?ADO YO)

LA PONGO A DISPOSICION DE QUIEN LA QUIERA ,SIEMPRE QUE NO SEA PARA USO COMERCIAL
ESTOY REGISTRADO COMO MIEMBRO EN EL OFFICIAL ROBERT E. HOWARD FORUM, MI NICK ES ZAMORANO DEJADME UN MENSAJE LOS INTERESADOS Y NOS PONDREMOS EN CONTACTO :lol:

------- :lol: CIMMERIAN RUNES FONT FOR WINDOWS- :lol: --FREE---SWORD RUNES-----READ THIS--

--NEED TRANSLATE TO ENGLISH,SORRY-----
re:runes font, please mail to: carlosfsanabria@hotmail.com

#17 ZAMORANO

ZAMORANO

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:40 PM

runes of the sword of Conan's father are in my uploads to my website
Runes cimmerian true type
my signature is the link
re:runes font, please mail to: carlosfsanabria@hotmail.com

#18 Hosetlh

Hosetlh

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

runes of the sword of Conan's father are in my uploads to my website
Runes cimmerian true type
my signature is the link

Sorry, can't read Spanish. Can you provide a direct link?

#19 Xaltotun

Xaltotun

Undead Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

I looked around on his site and could find no reference to a font. It's most likely spam. :angry:

#20 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

If you can get your hands on top-down higher res shots of whats written on the sword i think it will not be hard to trace those shapes in FontForge. The spanish guy has written something about having to register to his forums and in the VIP section there the TTF can be downloaded, but i wasn't able to register its so chaotic and.... spanish ;)

Edited by Waldgeist, 08 November 2008 - 08:03 PM.

Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!