166 replies to this topic

#101 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

Very nice article and interesting to read about TE Lawrence who have become almost mythical hero after the famous film.

I wonder why this topic isnt more popular at the moment, many people in these forums read EL Borak for the first time recently with Del Rey and i thought to see what other readers of the collection thought about this great hero of REH.

Edited by Libaax, 07 June 2010 - 06:39 PM.

#102 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 15,198 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

A solid review of the Berkley Lost Valley of Iskander:

http://www.pulpandda...n/iskander.html

Some of the bibliographic stuff is weak, but Latta is a good reviewer of the yarns themselves. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#103 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,198 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

Pulp fan/scholar, Doc Hermes, reviews a big chunk of the El Borak tales here:

http://community-2.w...ward/page4.html

B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#104 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,198 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

Rick Lai takes a very in-depth look at the careers of FXG, O'Donnell and Clarney here:

http://docs.google.c...KeIkDr0SgV-fETA

#105 sonny sixshooter

sonny sixshooter

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

Rick Lai takes a very in-depth look at the careers of FXG, O'Donnell and Clarney here:

http://docs.google.c...KeIkDr0SgV-fETA

.. At a glance, I read that as 'Ricki Lake'.

#106 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,198 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Very nice article and interesting to read about TE Lawrence who have become almost mythical hero after the famous film.

I wonder why this topic isnt more popular at the moment, many people in these forums read EL Borak for the first time recently with Del Rey and i thought to see what other readers of the collection thought about this great hero of REH.

After two years of calamity/taking care of business, El Borak is ordered and should be here at the homestead on my birthday next week.

B)

#107 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:38 AM

After two years of calamity/taking care of business, El Borak is ordered and should be here at the homestead on my birthday next week.

B)

Nice i cant wait to see what you think of the stories. Get some talking about my fav REH hero.

I dont re-read but i have re-read my fav El Borak stories in the same year i read them first. I have not re-read any other REH story yet!

#108 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,198 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

B)

Nice i cant wait to see what you think of the stories. Get some talking about my fav REH hero.

I dont re-read but i have re-read my fav El Borak stories in the same year i read them first. I have not re-read any other REH story yet!

Except for the short version of "T-BD", I've read everything in the collection. My first El Borak collection was a Zebra off the "new" paperback turnstile. ;) No, I'm looking forward to the essays included, as well as reading ALL the yarns in one place, something that has NEVER been done before. You live in a "Golden Age" now, Libaax. I grew up in the Silver and Dark Ages. :P

#109 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

B)

Except for the short version of "T-BD", I've read everything in the collection. My first El Borak collection was a Zebra off the "new" paperback turnstile. ;) No, I'm looking forward to the essays included, as well as reading ALL the yarns in one place, something that has NEVER been done before. You live in a "Golden Age" now, Libaax. I grew up in the Silver and Dark Ages. :P

Still re-reading will refresh your thoughts,feeling about the stories. I have hard time remembering clearly first REH stories i read when i "discovered" his writing in 2006/2007. I have read like 100 stories of his since then. Easy to not remember all of them clearly :P

Golden Age of Del Rey, complete collections sure. But i can forget about reading the stories in all those 70s,80s paperbacks you guys read, had then. Cormac Mac Art, Black Vulmea etc I see stories mentioned in this sub forum i have never even heard of. Guns of Kourtum huh ? La Sing ?

Edited by Libaax, 20 November 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#110 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

just read "lost valley of iskander". actually it felt more like re-reading because i read the roy thomas/conan adaption in CtB years ago. It was a pretty fair adaption (other than it meant really screwed up timelines since the hyborian age pre-dates Alexander). other than changing the weapons the only big difference was i was surprised that Bardellyis was a man in the story since Roy made him a girl.

#111 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

B)

Still re-reading will refresh your thoughts,feeling about the stories. I have hard time remembering clearly first REH stories i read when i "discovered" his writing in 2006/2007. I have read like 100 stories of his since then. Easy to not remember all of them clearly :P

Golden Age of Del Rey, complete collections sure. But i can forget about reading the stories in all those 70s,80s paperbacks you guys read, had then. Cormac Mac Art, Black Vulmea etc I see stories mentioned in this sub forum i have never even heard of. Guns of Kourtum huh ? La Sing ?

you might like guns of Khartoum, Libaax. its a bit racier than the usual stories and focuses on an interesting piece of 20th century Sudanese history.

#112 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

How racy could it be?

#113 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

just read "lost valley of iskander". actually it felt more like re-reading because i read the roy thomas/conan adaption in CtB years ago. It was a pretty fair adaption (other than it meant really screwed up timelines since the hyborian age pre-dates Alexander). other than changing the weapons the only big difference was i was surprised that Bardellyis was a man in the story since Roy made him a girl.

What did you think of El Borak in the story ? I liked that fist fight, awesome. The first story in Del rey Borak collection and not the strongest but i like those lost culture adventures. There was more mystery, wonder to it than i expected.

El Borak collection is the only one i have re-read by REH and in the same year as i first read it :)

#114 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

I like el borak cause hes a little more moral than some other REH heroes (although this might make him less realistic). hes a good guy who tries to save people. i liked his rivalry with hunyadi. its clear he had a lot of respect for the hungarian.

id have liked to learn a little more about the greek culture in isolation but i guess theres not much space in a short story to explore that. the story is non-stop action.

Edited by keny from prague, 14 December 2011 - 06:41 PM.

#115 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

How racy could it be?

not very. but theres a lot of off-screen sex. moreso than other non-conan stories.

#116 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

I love the EL-Borak,maybe besides them being awesome yarns it's also because he's not physically a giant in height and being only 5'7 and a half inches tall I cna relate to him more then the other REH characters.

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#117 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

I like el borak cause hes a little more moral than some other REH heroes (although this might make him less realistic). hes a good guy who tries to save people. i liked his rivalry with hunyadi. its clear he had a lot of respect for the hungarian.

id have liked to learn a little more about the greek culture in isolation but i guess theres not much space in a short story to explore that. the story is non-stop action.

Yeah he is the most heroic of REH heroes because he is so loyal to his friends, he feels strongly about his friends. Was it in The Daugther of Erlik Khan he finds Ahmed dying and chasies those englishman through everything just to avenge a friend.

He is both grim, not afraid to get his hands dirty and he has more morals than other heroes. Why i feel strongly about his stories.

He is not some clichè adventure hero who wisecracks,laughs through danger.

Edited by Libaax, 15 December 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#118 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Just read "Daughter of EK" more good stuff. Im liking el borak more and more.

Is there any timeline of his adventures? Other than son of the white wolf which was near the end of the Great war.

#119 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,198 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

Just read "Daughter of EK" more good stuff. Im liking el borak more and more.

Is there any timeline of his adventures? Other than son of the white wolf which was near the end of the Great war.

Glad to hear you're diggin' FXG, Keny! B)

Pulp scholar/former REHupan, Rick Lai, has a write-up here that includes not just El Borak, but REH's entire constellation of "desert heroes":

http://www.pjfarmer....ewton/Borak.pdf

I don't agree with everything Rick comes up with, but it's still a solid piece of work. B) Definitely the best we've got so far.

#120 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,198 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Blood of the Gods would seem to be post-WWI, since FXG (apparently) came to Arabia BECAUSE of the Great War. That yarn also features the "big automatic" which only appears elsewhere/when in "SotWW".