144 replies to this topic

#101 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Just read "Daughter of EK" more good stuff. Im liking el borak more and more.

Is there any timeline of his adventures? Other than son of the white wolf which was near the end of the Great war.

#102 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

Just read "Daughter of EK" more good stuff. Im liking el borak more and more.

Is there any timeline of his adventures? Other than son of the white wolf which was near the end of the Great war.

Glad to hear you're diggin' FXG, Keny! B)

Pulp scholar/former REHupan, Rick Lai, has a write-up here that includes not just El Borak, but REH's entire constellation of "desert heroes":

http://www.pjfarmer....ewton/Borak.pdf

I don't agree with everything Rick comes up with, but it's still a solid piece of work. B) Definitely the best we've got so far.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#103 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Blood of the Gods would seem to be post-WWI, since FXG (apparently) came to Arabia BECAUSE of the Great War. That yarn also features the "big automatic" which only appears elsewhere/when in "SotWW".

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#104 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Blood of the Gods would seem to be post-WWI, since FXG (apparently) came to Arabia BECAUSE of the Great War. That yarn also features the "big automatic" which only appears elsewhere/when in "SotWW".

Reading the stories it feels they are between 1918-1930s. He has been in the same lands over a decade atleast. Its the british, the russians that struggle against each other. I would say the latest stories are in 1920s.

The thing is the timeline doesnt matter. The harsh lands of Afghanistan, central Asia looks the same if its in 1910s or 1930s.

#105 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Watched an old (1954) movie called "Khyber Patrol" on Wednesday. Put me in mind of Francis X. Wrote on it at www.frontierpartisans.com.

#106 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

HAs anyone done any pastiche of El Borak, I just watched Lawrence of Arabia today and man I would have loved to see a big epic of El Borak on the screen too! :)
---Dave the Rage

Award-winning author (and great guy), James Reasoner wrote an FXG story for the Cross Plains Universe anthology.

#107 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Can you get anthology as second hand or was it a rare one off thing ?

#108 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Can you get anthology as second hand or was it a rare one off thing ?

You can find used copies on Amazon or Abebooks. http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/1932265228

http://www.abebooks....lains-universe/
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#109 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

El Borak is a jewel in the crown indeed, great stories by Howard.

Watched Lawrence of Arabia and thought, man that would be epic for El Borak but who could act him in a big epic? Dwayne Johnson (AKA The Rock) could pull it off, but he is far too big though, but his skin and hair colour would do the parts well where El Borak joins tha tribes as a cut throat infiltrate the assassins guild. Maybe Jack Palance in the old days would have made a good Borak. Hmm had a crazy thought, would Keanu Reeves fit the bill? :)
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#110 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

The Rock to replace Peter O'Toole? :blink:

#111 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

On that very concept .....I PROTEST!!!!

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#112 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

No the Rock to do El Borak, as he has the skin tone and hair, but he is too big in size.

Was using the example of LoArabia as a great vehicle to drive a film based on Francis Gordan for a big epic on him. It be wonderful if a company could do the likes of a big budget on El Borak indeed.

Edited by Dave the Rage, 16 April 2012 - 10:11 PM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#113 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

No the Rock to do El Borak, as he has the skin tone and hair, but he is too big in size.

Was using the example of LoArabia as a great vehicle to drive a film based on Francis Gordan for a big epic on him. It be wonderful if a company could do the likes of a big budget on El Borak indeed.

You saw my reply to your (off-topic) "El Borak Pastiche?" question you posted on another thread, right?

#114 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

HAs anyone done any pastiche of El Borak, I just watched Lawrence of Arabia today and man I would have loved to see a big epic of El Borak on the screen too! :)
---Dave the Rage

Award-winning author (and great guy), James Reasoner wrote an FXG story for the Cross Plains Universe anthology.

I missed this Deuce sry, have you any links?

Chrs for pointing this out, without a doubt he is my 2nd fav hero of Howards works. Brilliant well wrote escapades that would make great films or tv spots. Fast paced, actioned packed and stabbing in the back, the way any good Arabian tale should be. :)

#115 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

You saw my reply to your (off-topic) "El Borak Pastiche?" question you posted on another thread, right?

I dont seem to get all my replies for some reason, must check my settings?

#116 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Steranko's illo of El Borak...

http://www.google.co...29,r:0,s:0,i:69

...which got him the "conceptual art" gig for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

B)

#117 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

Awsome b&W's, simple and detailed. Nice.

Did he do the internals of the complete El Borak? I loved his afghans and kurds.....good work.

#118 Kev

Kev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

B)

Deuce when I visuallized El Borak I "saw" Mark Valley playing him. http://www.flickr.co...tvf/2876180364/

El Borak was a great read, and a very pleasant surprise when I came across the book last year. I think I enjoyed REH's stories in EB more than Solomon Kane.
Kev
"Poets always hate those in power. To them perfection is always just behind the last corner, or beyond the next."
The Phoenix on the Sword

#119 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

B)

Deuce when I visuallized El Borak I "saw" Mark Valley playing him. http://www.flickr.co...tvf/2876180364/

El Borak was a great read, and a very pleasant surprise when I came across the book last year. I think I enjoyed REH's stories in EB more than Solomon Kane.
Kev

He looks like a good choice, but looking like a Kurd with darkened skin and mustache hhmmm. :)

#120 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

:mellow: Maybe i'm a purist,but I think if a character is white,find a white actor to play him,just as if a chactor is black or asian are what ever get a actor of the appropriate race to play him! To me it distracts from the movie somehwat when I know the race of the charactor in the book it's based on!

For example I wold not want to watch a version of Fist of Fury in which the Character of Chen Chen (played by Bruce Lee) was playe by a white guy or a black guy etc etc when I know the chracter is not only asian but Chinese!

As I said maybe i'm just too much of a purist!

Edited by Konorg, 29 August 2012 - 07:57 PM.

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."