#1 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:02 PM

I really, really like El Borak!

Not only is he strong but he is really smart. He tries to use strategy and cunning before brute force, but will and can do it if he has to.

Did I read that there was a movie in the works about him? I hope so, and I hope its good because those stories would make awesome movies!

#2 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

He is pretty cool... I went through a phase with him back as a college freshman when I read a copy of the Zebra paperback and it had illustrations by Kaluta that were killer, something rare in a paperback book.. I think they even turned one of his, Three Bladed Doom, into an official Conan epic, didn't they? That says something right there. :)

#3 Zippo

Zippo

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:06 PM

El Borak adventures never came to Greece...I wan't to read them but...
Holy be the throne - The glory and the power
Our sovereing regale - The keeper of the crown
The victor to the throne - Till the final hour
In heaven and in hell below - Let thy will be done

#4 RichardS

RichardS

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:15 PM

He is pretty cool... I went through a phase with him back as a college freshman when I read a copy of the Zebra paperback and it had illustrations by Kaluta that were killer, something rare in a paperback book.. I think they even turned one of his, Three Bladed Doom, into an official Conan epic, didn't they? That says something right there. :)

LSDC rewrote "Three Bladed Doom" into the the Conan story "The Flame Knife" for the 1955 book "The Tales of Conan" by the Gnome Press. I'd hardly call it an "official" Conan epic, but there we go, water under the bridge.

I agree about El Borak, there's some cracking stories about him.

Richard

#5 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:31 AM

El Borak is probably my favorite REH character. There's just something about that combination of gunslinger/swordsman that appeals. And the stories are set in a region we're up to our asses in today, so that adds some spice.

#6 Majere

Majere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:34 AM

Is there, or has there ever been, a book collecting all of REH's El Borak tales? I've done a little searching, but haven't come up with anything as of yet. I figured I'd ask some of the REH experts here who have been collecting for a long time now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-M-
"The Perfect Blossom is a rare thing. A man could spend his entire life searching for one, and it would not be a wasted life."

#7 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:15 AM

Hey Majere! Sorry bud, Mr. Gordon's adventures are spread out all over hell and half of Georgia. You'd have to buy at least three paperbacks, plus two chapbooks. The chapbooks, put out by Robert M. Price's Cryptic Publications in the 80s, collect REH's early "juvenile" tales of Gordon. They're going for $50 and up. Hope that helps. :)

Oh yeah, you might check out the bibliography on howardworks.com.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#8 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:14 AM

There isn't a complete one yet. It appears that Del Rey is doing one though, like the Conan books they put out.

Girasol Collectibles has a book called Blood of the Gods that has about 5 El Borak stories in it. They were only doing 1000 of them though, so I don't know if any are available still.
El Borak is probably my favorite REH character and I getting all the stories is a pain because some are in really rare books. I know there are 2 books that have stories I haven't read yet and they sell for about $150 a piece.

#9 Majere

Majere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:41 AM

Hey Majere! Sorry bud, Mr. Gordon's adventures are spread out all over hell and half of Georgia. You'd have to buy at least three paperbacks, plus two chapbooks. The chapbooks, put out by Robert M. Price's Cryptic Publications in the 80s, collect REH's early "juvenile" tales of Gordon. They're going for $50 and up. Hope that helps. :)

Oh yeah, you might check out the bibliography on howardworks.com.

Hey Deuce! How've you been? Thanks for the reply, and thanks too for the link to Howardworks.com, I appreciate that. I guess maybe I'll go for The Lost Valley of Iskander and Son of the White Wolf, and work my way from there.

Take care,
-M-
"The Perfect Blossom is a rare thing. A man could spend his entire life searching for one, and it would not be a wasted life."

#10 Majere

Majere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:48 AM

There isn't a complete one yet. It appears that Del Rey is doing one though, like the Conan books they put out.

Girasol Collectibles has a book called Blood of the Gods that has about 5 El Borak stories in it. They were only doing 1000 of them though, so I don't know if any are available still.
El Borak is probably my favorite REH character and I getting all the stories is a pain because some are in really rare books. I know there are 2 books that have stories I haven't read yet and they sell for about $150 a piece.

Thanks Pontifex. Is it official that Del Rey will be doing a book on El Borak, or just strong speculation? The last I heard was Del Rey putting out the 2 "Best Of" books, but nothing beyond that. I truly hope El Borak makes it into print, as I love the way Del Rey puts their collections together. There is certainly enough material available, and if Bran Mak Morn with only 2 true stories to his credit can make it into print, then I see no reason as to why El borak cannot. On a semi-related note, I really think REH's arabian-style, mid-east tales are some of his best work, so I am doubly anticipating this possible release.

#11 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:06 AM

Thanks Pontifex. Is it official that Del Rey will be doing a book on El Borak, or just strong speculation? The last I heard was Del Rey putting out the 2 "Best Of" books, but nothing beyond that. I truly hope El Borak makes it into print, as I love the way Del Rey puts their collections together. There is certainly enough material available, and if Bran Mak Morn with only 2 true stories to his credit can make it into print, then I see no reason as to why El borak cannot. On a semi-related note, I really think REH's arabian-style, mid-east tales are some of his best work, so I am doubly anticipating this possible release.

I don't know for sure, but this page sure has my hopes up! Apparently it's Wandering Star, not Del Rey like I thought.

#12 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:47 AM

Hey Pontifex! That WS page has been up forever. Most of those were "planned" projects. From what I understand, WS is in a holding pattern, if not in the tank. Rusty would be the man to talk to,

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#13 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

Rusty has already stated in one of his posts that WS have given up on publishing. Note that Kull is a Del Rey original.

Edited by Mikey_C, 21 January 2007 - 01:36 PM.

Visit my blog: Necronomania

#14 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hopefully the REH Foundation project will pick up the unpublished WS books and get 'em done.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#15 Majere

Majere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:45 AM

Hopefully the REH Foundation project will pick up the unpublished WS books and get 'em done.

Terry

How have sales been for Del Rey's REH collections? Seemingly they were good enough early on to warrant further collections, but apparantley not what Del Rey was hoping for, I'm assuming. I hope I'm wrong, as I would dearly love to see these collections continue. Del Rey has gotten it right so far, putting together cohesive, attractive projects while being as faithful to REH's original vision as possible.

Is there anyone here in the know that can substantiate whether or not Del Rey is pleased with the REH books released thus far, and what exactly long term plans are? If, indeed, there even is any.

Take care,
-M-

#16 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:18 PM

El Borak is definitely on the radar. It has not been determined yet who the publisher will be. Just from what I have seen in the bookstore, Del Rey should be pleased with how the books have done, they are getting a lot of shelf space, and have been for quite a while now. I would hope there would be something decided before the summer, we'll see. But definitely high on the upcoming projects list.

#17 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

Del Rey has gotten it right so far, putting together cohesive, attractive projects while being as faithful to REH's original vision as possible.

Is there anyone here in the know that can substantiate whether or not Del Rey is pleased with the REH books released thus far, and what exactly long term plans are? If, indeed, there even is any.

Not to take anything away from Del Rey, who have been a real pleasure to work with, but it was the Wandering Star group that put the books together, and continues through the two "Best Of REH" collections. The vision that created this "Robert E. Howard Library of Classics" was Marcelo Anciano's. Without his vision, and his splendid art direction, these would have been very different books. By the time Del Rey picked up the contract to publish the books in paperback, we'd already done four books and established the template for the series. To their great credit, Del Rey have always been supportive and have not asked for any changes in the format. Like I say, they're great folks to work with. But the credit for "putting together cohesive, attractive projects while being as faithful to REH's original vision as possible" should go to Marcelo Anciano.

Del Rey do seem to be very pleased so far. We are in the middle of a four-book contract. (The first five books: Kane, Bran, and the three Conans) were the first contract. The current contract was for Kull, two "Best of REH" collections (the first of which is to be published in the summer), and a selection of REH's horror stories. Negotiations will soon get underway for a new contract (i.e., more books), but don't expect anyone to talk about what will be involved until everything is signed. Too many things that can change during negotiations.

Rusty

#18 Majere

Majere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:41 PM

Del Rey has gotten it right so far, putting together cohesive, attractive projects while being as faithful to REH's original vision as possible.

Not to take anything away from Del Rey, who have been a real pleasure to work with, but it was the Wandering Star group that put the books together, and continues through the two "Best Of REH" collections. The vision that created this "Robert E. Howard Library of Classics" was Marcelo Anciano's. Without his vision, and his splendid art direction, these would have been very different books. By the time Del Rey picked up the contract to publish the books in paperback, we'd already done four books and established the template for the series. To their great credit, Del Rey have always been supportive and have not asked for any changes in the format. Like I say, they're great folks to work with. But the credit for "putting together cohesive, attractive projects while being as faithful to REH's original vision as possible" should go to Marcelo Anciano.

Del Rey do seem to be very pleased so far. We are in the middle of a four-book contract. (The first five books: Kane, Bran, and the three Conans) were the first contract. The current contract was for Kull, two "Best of REH" collections (the first of which is to be published in the summer), and a selection of REH's horror stories. Negotiations will soon get underway for a new contract (i.e., more books), but don't expect anyone to talk about what will be involved until everything is signed. Too many things that can change during negotiations.

Rusty

Awesome. Thanks for the reply, and the background information too. So without further ado, many thanks to Marcelo Anciano and everyone else at Wandering Star for putting this spectacular collection of books together. And thanks to Del Rey, for staying faithful to the work done by the aforementioned group, and for delivering the product to an even wider audience. I sincerely hope these projects continue, because they are indeed quite impressive and most appreciated.

Take care everybody,
-M-

#19 Cimmerian Wanderer

Cimmerian Wanderer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

Well whomever gets the contract for El Borak I hope they reprint all the stories, fragments, untitleds, everything ala
Wandering Star! :D

CW
The hounds are coming...I'll be going now.
Posted Image -- Thanks to my son

#20 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

Well whomever gets the contract for El Borak I hope they reprint all the stories, fragments, untitleds, everything ala
Wandering Star! :D

CW

Well as the same guys should still be putting the books together everyting should be OK !

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup