• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:49 PM

"CoC" was a quality publication in general, IMO.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#22 Guest_tbrittreid_*

Guest_tbrittreid_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

mckennal: "...the 1985 comic series." In fact Marvel had started doing Kane-based comics a good decade before that, almost all of it in their non-Code b/w line. Along with several straight REH adaptations (including all six--seven, counting the poem "...Homecoming"--adapted in the 1985 Code-approved mini), they created a number of new stories, with Kane encountering Dracula (twice) and an ancestor of Mary Shelley's Dr. Frankenstein, among other adventures. There was, for example, a werewolf story, although I find Ralph Macchio's 1985 alternative superior (his other original story there, in which Kane meets a Moslem potentate, was also very interesting). After the departure of Marvel's Howard editor/frequent writer/guiding force Roy Thomas, they apparently intended a Kane-in-the-Orient series, judging from the Jo Duffy-scripted "Red Seas" (Savage Sword of Conan #83) and its leaving Kane stuck on a ship bound for the Far East, but there were no follow-ups. Finally, near the mid 1990s end of Marvel's relstionship with the Howard estate, SSOC published a Kane/Conan team-up using the very brief Kane fragment "Death's Dark Riders" as a springboard. The fiftieth issue of their b/w reprint title, Conan Saga had included a previously unpublished Kane story in the back (it was identified on the inside-front-cover contents page as "new"), but it had presumably been sitting on the shelf for a while, as a Kane biographical article accompanying the Conan team-up had a sidebar about the comics in which the editor, noting the several 70s Kane comic adventures which had been reprinted in Saga, stated that nobody there could remember where that one had been originally published! Dark Horse Comics has been reprinting Marvel's Conan comic stories. If DHC does the same with their Kane material, I recommend it (allowing that I am unaware of the technical quality of the DHC reprints, or if any alterations have been made to the material).

#23 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:46 AM

Paul di Fillipo wrote a great story from the point of view of a young Cotton Mather and how he met Solomon Kane. The name of the story escapes me, but it was collected in "Conqueror Fantastic." Less a pastiche and more an exercise in di Fillipo trying to write a Howardian story, and succeeding.

There is at least one Solomon Kane-inspired story coming up in the Robert E. Howard commemorative book that will be given away at World Fantasy this year.

The story's title is Observable Things. It can also be found in a book collecting several short stories by P. Di Filippo titled The Emperor of Gondwanaland and Other Stories. I haven't read (nor do I own) it.
FYI.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#24 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

Apparently, there's an SK pastiche in this anthology:

http://www.blackcoat...shadowmen04.htm

The story is entitled "The Anti-Pope of Avignon".

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#25 daniel

daniel

victorian raptor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

Paul di Fillipo wrote a great story from the point of view of a young Cotton Mather and how he met Solomon Kane. The name of the story escapes me, but it was collected in "Conqueror Fantastic." Less a pastiche and more an exercise in di Fillipo trying to write a Howardian story, and succeeding.

There is at least one Solomon Kane-inspired story coming up in the Robert E. Howard commemorative book that will be given away at World Fantasy this year.

The story's title is Observable Things. It can also be found in a book collecting several short stories by P. Di Filippo titled The Emperor of Gondwanaland and Other Stories. I haven't read (nor do I own) it.
FYI.

you can read it through google books. i've read it and it's quite good.

#26 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:08 AM

FYI.

you can read it through google books. i've read it and it's quite good.

Thanks!
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#27 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:13 AM

Apparently, there's an SK pastiche in this anthology:

http://www.blackcoat...shadowmen04.htm

The story is entitled "The Anti-Pope of Avignon".

Xavier Maum?jean: A Wooster Xmas starring Hercule Poirot, Bertie Wooster.
John Peel: Twenty Thousand Years Under the Sea starring Captain Nemo, Cthulhu.
John Shirley: Cyrano and the Two Plumes starring Cyrano de Bergerac, d'Artagnan.

I have to find this anthology.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#28 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

I haven't had time to read it yet, but the latest issue of Paperback Fanatic has a piece by Ramsey Campbell about his SK pastiches. Unfortunately this fine publication is printed in very small numbers and is only available if pre-orderd by subscribers at present. I'll email the editor and see if he minds me sharing some scans.
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#29 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

I haven't had time to read it yet, but the latest issue of Paperback Fanatic has a piece by Ramsey Campbell about his SK pastiches. Unfortunately this fine publication is printed in very small numbers and is only available if pre-orderd by subscribers at present. I'll email the editor and see if he minds me sharing some scans.

Hry Mikey! Any word?

#30 sonny sixshooter

sonny sixshooter

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hry Mikey! Any word?

I popped them an email, and arranged to buy a subscription starting from no. 18, so I would get the SK issue. No problem at all. It has an interesting piece about the different paperback versions of the SK stories, leaving out, however, the Del Rey version, which puzzles me. Ramsay Campbell's piece is not groundbreaking, but it OK for on-the-john-reading.

#31 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

Michael Moorcock

#32 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

What would everyone think about Jim Butcher writing Solomon Kane?
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#33 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

What would everyone think about Jim Butcher writing Solomon Kane?

He's a an excellent choice . :)

#34 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

Just watched this animation of a Blade type character and thought, they ripped Sol Kane off bigtime!

It has his essence, man of few words hunting the evil that man does to the end, and not letting go until the job is done. SK's essence (and REH),

Enjoy :)

Edited by Dave the Rage, 06 April 2012 - 01:25 AM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#35 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

Er, I'm pretty sure there's some rule against posting an entire non-public-domain film up here.

But Vampire Hunter D is indeed very Solomon Kane-y.
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#36 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Woops I thought when you tube displayed it, they checked the copyright? Strange they do for songs etc.

The guy that did Final Fantasy had a hand in this, obviously has been touched with gothic european horror as the style of buildings and dress is quite retro Gothic.

Heres a trailer instead: link

Edited by Dave the Rage, 06 April 2012 - 01:55 PM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#37 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Given his work on both the Jonah Hex, and Lone Ranger comics, not to mention his Tarzan pastiche, I've always thought that Joe Landsdale could write a SK pastiche.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#38 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

That Gideon Cain thing from Airship 21 Productions counts as pastiche. As in, I don't even know why they changed the bloody name.
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#39 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

I've read the Gideon Cain anthology. in all fairness I beieve that there is enough difference that it should be judged on it's own merits. Yes, it was influenced by Howard's Solomon Kane. There is absolutely no point in trying to deny that. But, imo, they took their character in a direction different enough that it becomes it's own creation and character.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#40 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

I've read the Gideon Cain anthology. in all fairness I beieve that there is enough difference that it should be judged on it's own merits. Yes, it was influenced by Howard's Solomon Kane. There is absolutely no point in trying to deny that. But, imo, they took their character in a direction different enough that it becomes it's own creation and character.

Did they give REH any kudos within the pages of the anthology, if so I will invest some cash and time into it for my collection.

HAs anyone done any pastiche of El Borak, I just watched Lawrence of Arabia today and man I would have loved to see a big epic of El Borak on the screen too! :)