356 replies to this topic

#21 War Song

War Song

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

Also, on Age of Conan: what other guilds are there that cater for the Old Guard, apart from the Canach Clan? Canach looks great for Cimmerians, but is there an equivalent for Stygians and Aquilonians?

The Free City of Lochlainn and the Skullsplitters are good, "light role-playing" guilds which are open to Stygian and Aquilonian players.

The other two notable RP guilds are The Hand of Set (Stygians) and the Leopards of Poitain (Aquilonians), but they contain a few members (SteppinRazor, Enarion, etc.) who vehemently bash R.E. Howard as "a nazi" on the AoC forums, as well as ranting about how bad Conan lore in general. So... although they claim to be Hyborian role-playing guilds... some of their members take every opportunity to rip on the lore. Most of them are Anarchy Online fans who, understandably, would have preferred Funcom to make Anarchy Online 2 instead of Age of Conan.

Edited by War Song, 22 June 2007 - 05:28 AM.

#22 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:58 AM

It amazes me that there's legions of people starting guilds already for a game that isn't even released yet ! Kind of intimidating to a newb too . I hope the Howard basher guilds get their as5e5 handed to them when it is finally released though . Is this game even in beta-testing or anything that anyones even got to see yet ?

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#23 War Song

War Song

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:10 PM

Is this game even in beta-testing or anything that anyones even got to see yet?

Currently, Age of Conan is undergoing internal beta testing and there are half a dozen or so candid videos featuring in-game footage. Might want to check out the Media section of ByMitra.com.

#24 Sturmrabe

Sturmrabe

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:51 AM

Also, on Age of Conan: what other guilds are there that cater for the Old Guard, apart from the Canach Clan? Canach looks great for Cimmerians, but is there an equivalent for Stygians and Aquilonians?

The Free City of Lochlainn and the Skullsplitters are good, "light role-playing" guilds which are open to Stygian and Aquilonian players.

The other two notable RP guilds are The Hand of Set (Stygians) and the Leopards of Poitain (Aquilonians) which contain a few members who vehemently bash R.E. Howard as "a lil' nazi" and "a racist" on the AoC forums, as well as ranting about how bad Conan lore in general. So... although they claim to be Hyborian role-playing guilds... some of their members (SteppinRazor, Enarion, etc.) take every opportunity to rip on the lore. Most of them are Anarchy Online fans who, understandably, would have preferred Funcom to make Anarchy Online 2 instead of Age of Conan.

Dont' forget us :P

And we have actually absorbed a guy that was starting an any-race any-class Clan of mercs that we plan on having as a subguild so we can have alts of all the races and classes, cause I know I want to play a Stygian Demonologist too...
The Snowhawk Clan are traitorous dogs, who play AoC for epeen and leetboi status, and have lost all pretense of roleplay and adherence to lore...

One should die proudly
when it is no longer possible to live proudly.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

#25 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

The other two notable RP guilds are The Hand of Set (Stygians) and the Leopards of Poitain (Aquilonians) which contain a few members who vehemently bash R.E. Howard as "a lil' nazi" and "a racist" on the AoC forums, as well as ranting about how bad Conan lore in general. So... although they claim to be Hyborian role-playing guilds... some of their members (SteppinRazor, Enarion, etc.) take every opportunity to rip on the lore.

Oooooh... Not cool.

Oh well, at least we Howard fans have a true enemies to rally against! On to battle! :D

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#26 Mike_The_Barbarian

Mike_The_Barbarian

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:02 PM

It would be very cool if we could get everyone from this forum and create a guild and all go around together. Although, it may be a bit hard as people hear are from different parts of the world. :( Maybe we could work something out.

I've had some reservations on if I should play this or not. I've never really been too much of a fan of playing the human characters in fantasy games, but I suppose this is different.

Just hearing about those guilds that insult Robert E.Howard and his creation has intimidated me alot too. If I played a game such as this, it'd have to be perfect in my eyes, and if there's people running around saying silly things like that it will very muchy ruin my experience.

Are you sure these Howard haters are actually going to set up a guild? And that the guild isn't just going to lose momentum before the games release? I think I speak for all of us when I ask why people who dislike Howard and his works would buy a game based around his most famous time era...

To be honest, hearing about those guilds has pretty much just put me off something I was really looking forward too. :(
They are the weak and cowardly who, when the enemy is crashing through the front door, will cower in the back room, counting on better men than themselves to make and keep them free.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Pain is weakness leaving the body

#27 War Song

War Song

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

Just hearing about those guilds that insult Robert E. Howard and his creation has intimidated me alot too. If I played a game such as this, it'd have to be perfect in my eyes, and if there's people running around saying silly things like that it will very muchy ruin my experience.

[...] I think I speak for all of us when I ask why people who dislike Howard and his works would buy a game based around his most famous time era...

The average person attracted to Age of Conan has never heard of Conan the Cimmerian or Robert E. Howard prior to stumbling upon the game. You have a very broad demographic of "gamers" who are merely attracted to the title because of its unique MMO features and beautiful graphics. They soon purchase Howard's books to learn about the "setting of the game" and that is typically where the trouble begins. Understandably, Howard -- like many authors -- is not meant for general consumption by the 14 year old kid who thinks World of Warcraft is l337. As a result, you have frequent posts like this and this. Of course, the most annoying posts are the one asking for flying dragons as mounts and demanding elves as a playable Hyborian race. :)

Edited by War Song, 28 September 2006 - 11:42 PM.

#28 Mike_The_Barbarian

Mike_The_Barbarian

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:36 PM

Hmm, seems like this is going to cause a bit of a discord, it may perhaps even make trouble around here.

But I suppose with every person who doesn't like it, there'll be someone who does...

That's one of the things I hate about the internet though, the way it's all anonomous (spelt right?). It allows for such stupid things. :(

Strange though, how that person in the link you provided has a sig from the Conan film...

I noticed from the videos that all the people are pale! There's not a hint of a tan there, unless I missed something. They're just too white for me, haha. Get some sun tan lotion, it's Stygian, the best! :P
They are the weak and cowardly who, when the enemy is crashing through the front door, will cower in the back room, counting on better men than themselves to make and keep them free.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Pain is weakness leaving the body

#29 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:02 AM

Reading posts like those 2 you linked above Warsong , would make me want to get this game just to become a major P.K.'er so I could spend all my gaming hours hunting them down & smushing 'em ! - I'd feel kind of bummed if someone who's I.Q. was larger than their hat-size made a serious claim that they thought Howard was a racist any more so than just about all of white 1930's Americans - but a mildly retarded aquacephalic like that chick who quite evidently has never even read a single Howard book basing her 'opinion' because she thinks that Howards portrayal of 'Africans' as Picts (( W.T.F. ??!!!)) is bad - it's so pathetically lame that I wouldn't even bother to flame her for it . I hope she spends her hard-earned money on the game & then hates it enough to 'not' bother Howard & Conan fan gamers & stays offline . Same for the brainiac who wants re-spawning rideable dragons , he needs to go back to Warcraft or Pokemon or whatever , the nerfball !! Ay ?

" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "

#30 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:02 AM

Just hearing about those guilds that insult Robert E. Howard and his creation has intimidated me alot too. If I played a game such as this, it'd have to be perfect in my eyes, and if there's people running around saying silly things like that it will very muchy ruin my experience.

[...] I think I speak for all of us when I ask why people who dislike Howard and his works would buy a game based around his most famous time era...

The average person attracted to Age of Conan has never heard of Conan the Cimmerian or Robert E. Howard prior to stumbling upon the game. You have a very broad demographic of "gamers" who are merely attracted to the title because of its unique MMO features and beautiful graphics. They soon purchase Howard's books to learn about the "setting of the game" and that is typically where the trouble begins. Understandably, Howard -- like many authors -- is not meant for general consumption by the 14 year old kid who thinks World of Warcraft is l337. As a result, you have frequent posts like this and this. Of course, the most annoying posts are the one asking for flying dragons as mounts and demanding elves as a playable Hyborian race. :)

i'd be willing to bet a lot of them have heard of conan via the movies. i'd say a small percentage actually read the books though.

#31 War Song

War Song

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:12 AM

Reading posts like those 2 you linked above Warsong , would make me want to get this game just to become a major P.K.'er so I could spend all my gaming hours hunting them down & smushing 'em ! - I'd feel kind of bummed if someone who's I.Q. was larger than their hat-size made a serious claim that they thought Howard was a racist any more so than just about all of white 1930's Americans - but a mildly retarded aquacephalic like that chick who quite evidently has never even read a single Howard book basing her 'opinion' because she thinks that Howards portrayal of 'Africans' as Picts (( W.T.F. ??!!!)) is bad - it's so pathetically lame that I wouldn't even bother to flame her for it . I hope she spends her hard-earned money on the game & then hates it enough to 'not' bother Howard & Conan fan gamers & stays offline . Same for the brainiac who wants re-spawning rideable dragons , he needs to go back to Warcraft or Pokemon or whatever , the nerfball !! Ay ?

Just to be fair, the entire Age of Conan community isn't bad. ;) There are some very nice Age of Conan guilds like the Skullsplitters, The Free City of Lochlainn, the Snowhawk Clan, etc. Of course, you have the World of Warcraft crossover-guilds spamming the forums with ads that they are "planning to play the game."

i'd be willing to bet a lot of them have heard of conan via the movies. i'd say a small percentage actually read the books though.

You are correct. Quite a few have seen Conan the Barbarian (1982). :) There is one particular individual on the Age of Conan forums who deemed herself a "lore master" just because she was one of the few posters who had viewed Conan the Destroyer (1984). :wacko:

Edited by War Song, 29 September 2006 - 04:14 AM.

#32 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:57 PM

I hope nobody nicks Taranaich as a user name. There can be only one!

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#33 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:13 PM

Just to be fair, the entire Age of Conan community isn't bad. ;) There are some very nice Age of Conan guilds like the Skullsplitters, The Free City of Lochlainn, the Snowhawk Clan, etc. Of course, you have the World of Warcraft crossover-guilds spamming the forums with ads that they are "planning to play the game."

Yeah I know that , I even signed my name up on the Snowhawk site & at least one other I can't remember offhand - just to see what's new with this game & with the folks who want to play it . A few of the 'lore-mongers' - seem even more obsessive than some of us on this board - imagine that hahaha .

You are correct. Quite a few have seen Conan the Barbarian (1982). :) There is one particular individual on the Age of Conan forums who deemed herself a "lore master" just because she was one of the few posters who had viewed Conan the Destroyer

Well everyone knows you can learn all you need to know about Hyboria & Conan from 'the Destroyer ' !!! May her character slip off an oxcart & get a slivver in her butt , which festers & gives birth to a mildly retarded orc !!

#34 Warduke

Warduke

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:40 PM

I would like to play, I've been wanting to play a good Conan based game for some time now. I would love to especially tear these little 13 yo smart mouthed brat kids a new one. But in reality it would probably be me. The most online game I ever played was Unreal Tournament. And that was only on a local (lan) server because my buddy and I kept on getting are asses handed to us on public servers. And then just a few months ago I played Diablo2 online. It was pretty cool, way better then playing solo. I eventually got my Barbarian up to 25 level I think but even then the lower level barbs would seem to have better equipment and fighting tactics then me. And then some butthead would turn hostile and kill me. I cried for 2 weeks straight after that incident :P

But yeah sounds pretty cool, I'm sure some of you more experienced online gamers wouldn't mind carrying around some dead weight, just long enough till I can get into a fight and last longer then 5 seconds :)
Posted ImageCivilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

Posted Image

#35 Sturmrabe

Sturmrabe

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

LOL, Our Clan consists of a LOT of long time REH fans that have never played an MMO in their life... so I'm sure they can feel your pain!
The Snowhawk Clan are traitorous dogs, who play AoC for epeen and leetboi status, and have lost all pretense of roleplay and adherence to lore...

One should die proudly

-Friedrich Nietzsche

#36 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:39 AM

Anyone know if the Age of Conan MMORPG will be Mac OS 10 compatible?

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#37 Michael Miko

Michael Miko

Mercenary Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:20 AM

Not sure Strom. But we can try to find out for you and let you know something.

Warduke, if you have the time, check out the Snowhawk Clan for Age of Conan. I am a member and it kicks ass. I think you would find a home there amongst us because we are all lovers of REH and want to stay true to the REH's lore of Conan.

Here is the link: Snowhawk Clan?

Mikos
MikO
Heroic Design
Facebook
Twitter
Email: michael_mikos@yahoo.com

#38 Sturmrabe

Sturmrabe

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

Not sure Strom. But we can try to find out for you and let you know something.

Warduke, if you have the time, check out the Snowhawk Clan for Age of Conan. I am a member and it kicks ass. I think you would find a home there amongst us because we are all lovers of REH and want to stay true to the REH's lore of Conan.

Here is the link: Snowhawk Clan?

Mikos

Its good that you linked directly to the forums, we are revising the main guild page so its down ATM

One should die proudly

-Friedrich Nietzsche

#39 Irvius

Irvius

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

I think there should be two main AoC guilds or groups of guilds coming from this forum: an american one and an european one. This because the different time zones will suggest players to open accounts on the american server or the european one, according to their homeplace.
However, let the presence of REH enthusiasts be high on this MMORPG, we have an unique opportunity to see Hyboria 3d alive and, even if there will be some people just playing for fun or because the graphic engine, they'll surely abandon the game for a next one, leaving Conan fans living a real Hyborian experience.
;)
His true name was Conan
And now he rose in hauberk of black mail.
A sinewy, grim, giant
against the broad silk sail.
That shimmered above his plumed
Corsairs pressed against the rail

#40 Firderis

Firderis

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

I think there should be two main AoC guilds or groups of guilds coming from this forum: an american one and an european one. This because the different time zones will suggest players to open accounts on the american server or the european one, according to their homeplace.

Here I see a little problem. Europe doesn't mean everybody speaks english, but i wanna speak with others in my motherlanguage. So europe-guilds should also split in french, german (and so on) speaking guilds.

With regards, Firderis

PS: yes, i'm allready in a guild, thanks