356 replies to this topic

#1 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

I had this idea in another thread and thought I would post it here and maybe have an admin/mod pin it for future reference.

Most of us know that a MMORPG called Age of Conan is in development. I thought it might be cool if the people who are planning on playing it could post here and then once the game is released, we could create a Conan forum guild or whatever they have in the game and play together.

I'm planning on at least trying it out. Whether its good or I like it will be a different story though.

Even if we don't make Conan.com Forum guild, this will be a good list of the people who may be playing the game. Once the game comes out and if you do play, let me know your character names and servers.

I'll try to keep this thread updated. If you see me slacking on the job, send me a pm or something.

14 potential players so far:

Pontifex
Croms Bones
Tofu
Budgie
Michael Miko
Taranaich
BronzeWarrior
Senta
FiendLurking
Kane
Argrath
War Song
Painbrush
Warduke

Edited by Pontifex, 01 October 2006 - 03:24 PM.

#2 Michael Miko

Michael Miko

Mercenary Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

I am planning on trying it out once it is released. And if I do like it. A guild would be a good idea. Let me know what the guild will be and how it will be structured.

Mikos
MikO
Heroic Design
Facebook
Twitter
Email: michael_mikos@yahoo.com

#3 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:52 PM

Well, I don't know even know when the game is to be released and I'm not sure I'd want to necessarily be the leader of it either, i just thought it would be cool to all play together if we get a bunch of people from here.

#4 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

Im tempted to try it myself.. depends om cost etc though, hopefully there will be a demo first to try.

budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#5 tofu

tofu

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:45 PM

Yeah, as budgie said I am still interested but will see who joins from here, cost etc....
Warfighting Philosophy:
Shatter the Enemys cohesion through a variety of rapid,focused,unexpected actions which create a turbulent and rapid deteriorating sitchuation in which the enemy cannot cope. Department of the Navy.

Facinated at birth with the power of a Gun, Trained as a Troop to weild one effectively, and still loveing them today.

Nothing beats a well placed sling shot to the bridge of the nose=)

#6 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:54 AM

I'm in for the try... content will need to be there to keep me playing.
The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#7 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:32 AM

I *might* get it if I get a regular internet connection at home, and if the price is right. One of the reasons I don't generally play MMOGs is because I can't really afford to pay monthly/yearly updates. I might make an exception for Age of Conan. Also, I'd be interested in a Purism Guild for all the anal pedants who hate mages and crusaders and stuff, if only to sooth my concience.

I think most of my gaming time will be made up for making The Hyborian Age: Total War mod. :ph34r:

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#8 BronzeWarrior

BronzeWarrior

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

I plan on getting the game and giving it a serious try. Count me in on a forum guild if it is formed!
BronzeWarrior

also known as

Kashgar of the Snowhawk Clan

Click here to check out SNOWHAWK CLAN an Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures gaming guild
The ONLY guild where reading Robert E. Howard is a requirement!

#9 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:50 AM

I have a question for any of you hardcore gamers - I've always been a gaming nut - since pong , but i guess I'm anti-social or something because i've never once played even any of my favorites online against anybody - even my brother who is as much of a command & conquer fanatic as I am , & even though I have a few or 3 dozen different comp. games - just never played online . The question is this - are there any mmorpg's that 'might' be similar to what's coming in the Conan game - so I can get my feet wet with orpg's & see if I even want to invest in the Conan game - but maybe a mmorpg that won't break the bank logging on ? - maybe 'free' even - tho I know that's probably hoping for too much . If I can handle probably getting my head chopped off every time I try to play by the p.k.ers - & I do get into the online games - I'd definitely like to join up with all you barbarians - if only to have comrades to keep me from getting snuffed by some pimple-faced brat with quick fingers . Don't laugh too hard - but the last rpg I've even played was Diablo II - never tried Everquest/Neverwinter etc.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#10 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:44 PM

I have a question for any of you hardcore gamers - I've always been a gaming nut - since pong , but i guess I'm anti-social or something because i've never once played even any of my favorites online against anybody - even my brother who is as much of a command & conquer fanatic as I am , & even though I have a few or 3 dozen different comp. games - just never played online . The question is this - are there any mmorpg's that 'might' be similar to what's coming in the Conan game - so I can get my feet wet with orpg's & see if I even want to invest in the Conan game - but maybe a mmorpg that won't break the bank logging on ? - maybe 'free' even - tho I know that's probably hoping for too much . If I can handle probably getting my head chopped off every time I try to play by the p.k.ers - & I do get into the online games - I'd definitely like to join up with all you barbarians - if only to have comrades to keep me from getting snuffed by some pimple-faced brat with quick fingers . Don't laugh too hard - but the last rpg I've even played was Diablo II - never tried Everquest/Neverwinter etc.

Several of the games offer free trials, for like a week or so. The question is finding one that is most like Age of Conan. I din't think there is one thats even close to what I'm hearing about Conan. Its supposed to be really different from most other mmorpgs and thats part of what all the interest is about.

World of Warcraft is fun (up to a point) and easy to get into. I think fileplanet still has the trial avaliable.
Also, a lot of games offer PVE and PVP servers. PVP is player vs. player where other players can kill you. PVE is player vs. environment where you mostly play against the computer controlled monsters. PVE usually has specified areas where you can PVP or you may consent to PVP battles when you choose to.

#11 Senta

Senta

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:03 AM

i will most definitely play Age of Conan... i've played different MMORPGs over last years, starting with Dark Age of Camelot...

#12 Michael Miko

Michael Miko

Mercenary Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:12 AM

I have just applied to the Snowhawk Clan for the Age of Conan MMO. I think it would be worth any of your time to check it out. There are some in the Clan that post here and have a thorough knowlege of the Hyborian world.

Here is the link: Snowhawk Clan

I wish you well,

Miko
MikO
Heroic Design
Facebook
Twitter
Email: michael_mikos@yahoo.com

#13 Guest_fiendlurking_*

Guest_fiendlurking_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

i am seriously considering playing it...but im not much of a pc game junkie, as a matter of fact i still play Diablo 1 pretty seriously...if that keys you in to my desire to play games?...lol however ive been planning on buying a new PC for sometime due to mine being old and outdated (it does play diablo just fine tho...lol)...so basically it'll come down to new pc or not?!

#14 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:39 AM

I've been following the development of this game since I first heard of it almost two years ago.
While never interested in online games this one has caught me just because of the setting and source material.
I do plan on playing when it finally ghets up and operating.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#15 War Song

War Song

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

I have just applied to the Snowhawk Clan for the Age of Conan MMO. I think it would be worth any of your time to check it out. There are some in the Clan that post here and have a thorough knowlege of the Hyborian world.

Here is the link: Snowhawk Clan

I wish you well,

Miko

Thanks for the link, Miko. B) I'll probably be joining the Snowhawk Clan too once I upgrade my computer. Seems to be where all the REH fans are congregating.

Edited by War Song, 25 September 2006 - 11:18 AM.

#16 Borumas

Borumas

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:39 PM

Well if you want to get the feel of playing online and in the sword and sorcery genre you can try Guild Wars, it doesn't have a monthly fee like many other online games and has a interesting story line. I played it till I got to level 14 on my character and just could not complete a mission, then after frustration set in I stopped playing and went back into Day of Defeat Source (I just love busting Nazi heads with the Tommy gun or my fist, lol).
In 334BC Alexander met with Celtic warriors on the banks of the Danube and asked them what they feared most, expecting a reply that they feared him. Instead they stated "We fear only that the skies will fall on our heads."
The Celts regarded the Romans as barbarians due to their practice of murdering prisoners or selling prisoners, including women and children, into slavery.

#17 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

...I think most of my gaming time will be made up for making The Hyborian Age: Total War mod. :ph34r:

I tried a demo of Total War this weekend and really liked it - are you really doing a Hyborian mod for it?

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#18 Argrath Dragonspear

Argrath Dragonspear

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

I'll give it a try, but I hope its not just a hack fest affair!

#19 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the info Borumas - I heard that was a pretty good game , I'll probably get it soon .

Man , if the other 'Total War' games are as hard as 'T.War-'Shogun' - you guys are monster gamers !! I couldn't even get my archers to EVER win that 'first' beginners level against the yari spear-wimps !! - But I bet I could spank most veterans at any of the Command & Conquer wargames at least .

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#20 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

I tried a demo of Total War this weekend and really liked it - are you really doing a Hyborian mod for it?

Sure am. :D It'll probably take a while as I don't have a team, but it seems a relatively small amount of changes since the Hyborian and Hyrkanian nations are already pretty much in it, only Stygia, Cimmeria, the Picts, the Kush ites and the Nordheimir will require totally new units and stuff.

Man , if the other 'Total War' games are as hard as 'T.War-'Shogun' - you guys are monster gamers !! I couldn't even get my archers to EVER win that 'first' beginners level against the yari spear-wimps !! - But I bet I could spank most veterans at any of the Command & Conquer wargames at least .

Hah, Shogun was pretty tough, but the original Medieval was insanity. Even if you crushed one faction, there was a chance they could return with forces 10 times as powerful as their original armies!

Also, on Age of Conan: what other guilds are there that cater for the Old Guard, apart from the Canach Clan? Canach looks great for Cimmerians, but is there an equivalent for Stygians and Aquilonians?

Edited by Taranaich, 26 September 2006 - 04:40 PM.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!