Photo

Solomon Kane's Costume

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

I really enjoy this thread, that hat with the big buckle could be used to beat the hell out of somebody
The pic of the pistol is awesome but I have a reference book that says miquelets were around as early as 1550,
don't know how accurate that is though. As for the sash, wasn't Solomon Kane's (REH version) sash a bright
green?

#102 Landsknecht

Landsknecht

Raconteur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

I don't have a green sash, the one I have I just threw in the cart because an online store screwed up an order, and I had the money already paid. It's boring red silk, and I'm looking for one with more of a texture to it.

Yeah, the boots are workable, but like you mentioned, good ones (and affordable) are tough to find. I've seen literally every style and price in my search, but it seems nigh-impossible to find black bucket-cuff boots that look like they are actually old.

Cloaks, I'm looking into a wool one, and to be screen-accurate, It'd need to have a collar, but no hood, and a leather belt-style clasp. Also, the one I have is about knee-length, rather than floor-length, so I want one that's longer.

As for my pistols, I'm obviously not bringing a real flintlock into a convention hall, that just seems like a bad idea. All mine are much later, around Civil War era and a little before, probably all American-made, so not decorated and fancy, and quite heavy most.

This is pretty much the costume I'm putting together, with some tweaks for cost. I realize it's a bit different than most book and comic depictions, and not period-exact, but it's a fair enough reference to keep me on track.

Some firelock merchants like http://www.loyalista.../mainpage.html# will sell guns without the touch hole drilled which makes them pretty much impossible to fire. You might be able to find some of those old plastic pistol models on Ebay or http://www.sears.com...5_SPM173705147P

Your red sash represents the norm for officers from the 17th-19th century. I suspect that REH was making a point with the bright green sash but never got around to publishing the story(?) Many of the real red silk officers sashes were quite expensive and elaborate. They were strong woven silk that could be used as a hammock or stretcher. Useless trivia for the day.

I work hard to keep my boots looking new and shiny. Just take a short hike through tall wet grass for starters. A little horseback riding, spelunking, and fencing should give them the right worn look.

I have never dealt with these folks but take a look at their wool cloaks: http://www.knownworl...m/clothing.html

TheMirrorThief - I have not seen a definite origin for miquelets cited like for flintlocks but 1550 doesn't sound overly early. Most European ones that I have seen were dated to about 1580 and they were popular in the middle east through the 19th century. I picked up a "fake" miquelet lock ages ago but have never used it. It is a little large, made about 100 years ago, and is "fake" because the main spring is internal but it copies the distinct miquelet square lines. These folks sometimes have them in stock too: http://therifleshoppe.com/
-Karl
www.Earngyld.org, http://www.reenactor...hp?action=forum, armourarchive.org

#103 Askren

Askren

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

Good info. I'll keep my eye out for a green one, but like I said, I want it to have some texture to it rather than flat silk, so it'll really depend what I find.

My troubles right now are specifically with the suede shirt. Not much luck finding one remotely close enough to merit ordering so I can slice it up and lace it back together.

After that, the chest-harness thing, since the one I bought is cheap and ugly.

Oh, and just because you asked: 2 of my 3 blades for the costume. Hand made, wood. They also look to be quite the finishing touch once I can get my hands on them and weather them up properly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#104 Kahn

Kahn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

I've been to two conventions dressed as Solomon Kane now. Only a few people actually recognised me straight off. I've been mistaken from Bruce Wayne to Oliver Cromwell, but obviously the most common guess I get is Hugh Jackman's Van Helsing.
I went for the more classic Kane with a rapier/ main gauche combo and two flintlock pistols. A long coat rather than cloak and I do have a bright green sash which was just some fabric bought from ebay doubled over and sewn into place.
If I can remember which photo-sharing site I opened an account with (years ago) I'll post a pic sometime.

I'm working on a juju staff atm too. I sculpted a reasonable facsimile of Bast's head and just need a good staff shaft for it.

Edited by Kahn, 08 October 2011 - 11:44 AM.

#105 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

I've been to two conventions dressed as Solomon Kane now. Only a few people actually recognised me straight off. I've been mistaken from Bruce Wayne to Oliver Cromwell, but obviously the most common guess I get is Hugh Jackman's Van Helsing.
I went for the more classic Kane with a rapier/ main gauche combo and two flintlock pistols. A long coat rather than cloak and I do have a bright green sash which was just some fabric bought from ebay doubled over and sewn into place.
If I can remember which photo-sharing site I opened an account with (years ago) I'll post a pic sometime.

I'm working on a juju staff atm too. I sculpted a reasonable facsimile of Bast's head and just need a good staff shaft for it.

Cool on you, Kahn. B) However, SK doesn't seem to have been much of a main gauche dude. Stick as close as you can to REH's descriptions. Lord knows others have strayed FAR from that Puritan's progress. ;)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#106 Kahn

Kahn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

Well a main gauche is basically a companion dagger to a rapier. I know some of them look a bit unusual with sail guards and extended trident style quillons etc, but the prop I have is based on a Gustav style dagger and quite similar to the one Askren posted a picture of.

The rapier was modeled on the Pappenheimer sword, which is probably a little later than SK's time, but had the right sort of design with a long double edged blade for cut as well as thrust.

#107 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

9781848547568.jpgA little SK influence perhaps?

#108 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

As far as I am concerned, I don't see problems with any period representation of SK. Plans for my new SK-costume are just in their very first days - as my SK-page is.
But when I have a look at pics of puritans I don't see any problems why SK should look different (okay, he's wearing all black, but that's no problem) => http://www.hyborianworld.com/kane/

Let us know when you get your website up and rolling, Andrarir!

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.