37 replies to this topic

#21 Black Indy

Black Indy

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:16 PM

This is my imagined answer when someone asks Ah-nold What Is Best in Life?

"To marree Mahreeha Schri-ver, to bechome dee Governhor of Kali-fornia, and to heer dee lamentations of the Kennedys!"

Black Indy

#22 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

I like the variation in my signature, courtesy of science-fiction writer John Ringo. :D
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#23 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:13 AM

I personally enjoy a bottle of merlot, a thick rug, a roaring fireplace,
an opened first edition of period poetry, and romantic female
companionship on a cold winter night. But hey, that's just me.
What can I say? ;)

To be cheesy for a moment, I suppose whats best in life is firstly (like Swiftsteel mentioned) finding someone that loves you as much as you love them and secondly, accomplishing something meaningful that will last beyond your death.

That's a pretty giood paraphrase iof what REH told Novalyne.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#24 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

What can I say? ;)

To be cheesy for a moment, I suppose whats best in life is firstly (like Swiftsteel mentioned) finding someone that loves you as much as you love them and secondly, accomplishing something meaningful that will last beyond your death.

What exactly did he say to her that you are refering to ?

#25 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

What can I say? ;)

Something to the effect of: "Life isn't worth living without a great cause or a great love." There's a thread about it on the "REH" board.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#26 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:34 AM

For some reason the Sailor Moon costume seems to be a popular choice for Rubenesque women who are into cosplay :)

Posted Image

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#27 Rossdude

Rossdude

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:27 AM

Sailor moon... Conan... what's the connection? I sense a cross-over fan fiction on the horizon. Somehow, Sailor Moon and the girls find themselves in a pickle and who to the rescue? None other than Conan! And when the monster is slay and good and buried in the earth Conan sleeps with the girls... All of them... ;)

I guess that is best in life! Five girls! :P

One a serious note, though I wish I were battle hardened and thought things like war and fighting were best in life, I am actually a slow moving gutless civilized bred swine that likes nothing more than relaxing. To wake up in the tropic weather of Florida, and slowly eat breakfast on a patio while listening to the ocean waves crash over the beach is what I think is best in life. I am only a barbarian in my fantasies...
"Lead me into a trap and I'll pile the heads of your kinsmen at your feet! Hide from me and I'll tear apart the mountains to find you! I'll follow you to hell!"
-Conan from "The Frost Giant's Daughter"

#28 Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl

MOAR KOFFEE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

What Is Best In Life?

Watching My Little Pony reruns on YouTube. And not the crappy original ones, either, the newer ones that are awesome!

Edited by Dragon Girl, 25 April 2011 - 05:11 AM.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying." ~ Woody Allen

#29 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:18 AM

One a serious note, though I wish I were battle hardened and thought things like war and fighting were best in life, I am actually a slow moving gutless civilized bred swine that likes nothing more than relaxing. To wake up in the tropic weather of Florida, and slowly eat breakfast on a patio while listening to the ocean waves crash over the beach is what I think is best in life. I am only a barbarian in my fantasies...

REH's Conan never said that "best in life" crap in the first place. The quote from QotBC is similar in some ways, but distinctly different. Howard's Conan wasn't Jenghiz Khan nor a disciple of Nietsche.

I like your "best in life" example. :)

Al Harron puts a subtle twist on the whole CTB "best in life" meme here:

http://theblogthatti...roll-quote.html

#30 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:44 AM

What Is Best In Life?

Watching My Little Pony reruns on YouTube. And not the crappy original ones, either, the newer ones that are awesome!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Welcome back, DG.

#31 Rossdude

Rossdude

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

Yeah, REH's Conan wouldn't say such a thing! if someone asked him what was best in life, he'd probably just punch them in the face. REH's Conan was no tamed slave to answer questions at his master's whims!

Actually when I was in bootcamp, my Drill Instructor used to say, "What's best in life 3035?!" And we'd have to respond at the top of our lungs: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." That's where I first heard it! I had not seen the film at that time. His favorite movie was CTB.

Thanks for liking my example!
"Lead me into a trap and I'll pile the heads of your kinsmen at your feet! Hide from me and I'll tear apart the mountains to find you! I'll follow you to hell!"

#32 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:01 AM

What Is Best In Life?

Welcome back DG! When I saw your avatar, I almost mistook you for Waldgeist. Good "quote!"
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#33 daniel

daniel

victorian raptor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

you know it's the end of the world, soon to be devoured by tentacular monstrosities from the pulpy gulfes of abaddon, when the little pony is mentioned on reh.com.
brrrr....

what is best in life:
rum marzipan,
cheddar cheese,
the works of:
edgar rice burroughs,
henry rider haggard,
jules verne,
h.g.wells,
arthur conan doyle,
redheads,
dinosaurs,
did i mention redheads?

a film about a certain ape from 1933,

not so much as having your enemies crushed as absorbing their vital energies. waste not and all that...

#34 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

I think we already know what Howard's Conan thinks is best in life:

"Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."

Al Harron puts a subtle twist on the whole CTB "best in life" meme here:

http://theblogthatti...roll-quote.html

Probably a little too subtle, come to think of it!

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#35 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

What can I say? ;)

Something to the effect of: "Life isn't worth living without a great cause or a great love." There's a thread about it on the "REH" board.

"To make life worth living a man or woman has to have a great love or a great cause... I have neither."
Here's the thread: http://www.conan.com...=1

The line appears in Novalyne Price's book One Who Walks Alone and also in the movie The Whole Wide World.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#36 Guest_CurtisPKinkaid_*

Guest_CurtisPKinkaid_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:33 AM

Any kind of meat, cooked over an open fire on the bone, Plenty of drink to make the night alittle longer, and a fine woman to make a cold night seem alittle warmer!

#37 Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl

MOAR KOFFEE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:49 AM

Thanks, Deuce and Ironhand! Haven't been around in a long time and thought I'd check back and see what's happening. B)
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying." ~ Woody Allen

#38 Rossdude

Rossdude

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Any kind of meat, cooked over an open fire on the bone, Plenty of drink to make the night alittle longer, and a fine woman to make a cold night seem alittle warmer!

I like this!!! If what I said is what's best in life for me, this is also a good replacement!!! Life can so good!