264 replies to this topic

#21 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Right now I'm listening to my Playlist.com playlist "Epic Music". It has pieces from movies like 300, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, CtB, Starship Troopers, etc. I noticed today I have a large number of Basil Poledouris titles on there. The man was very prolific.

#22 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

I have a Pandora station that goes 180 degrees from acoustic blues to hard rock. It's a really great balance and Pandora is getting better - it seems that new songs crop up on the channel everyday.

In the car, I'm playing a pile of CDs I bought recently. Started with Corey Harris 'Downhome Sophisticate' today.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#23 The Adventurer

The Adventurer

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

Right now I'm listening to my Playlist.com playlist "Epic Music". It has pieces from movies like 300, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, CtB, Starship Troopers, etc. I noticed today I have a large number of Basil Poledouris titles on there. The man was very prolific.

Hey Reaver, I have a very similair MP3 playlist myself...it's called "Epic OST", and is full of good soundtracks like Gadiator, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy, Conan, King Arthur, 300, The Mission, The Bounty and loads of other goodies...I find it to be the perfect companion when reading fantasy/S&S books.

I also find the Battlestar Galactica soundtracks (mini series and seasons 1-3) by Richard Gibbs & Bear McCreary are excellent non-intrusive (but inspirational) music.

TA

#24 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:01 PM

I've been listening to the new Star Trek soundtrack, but recently switched to Sibilius and Borodin.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#25 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

KMFDM, Revolting ***** and Lacuna Coil for the most part - new albums from each band.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#26 sheets75

sheets75

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

Arch Enemy - My Apocalypse

I'm not much of a death metal fan but I kind of enjoy this song. Say what you will about Cookie Monster singing, Angela Gossow's growling is impressive :)

#27 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hey Reaver, I have a very similair MP3 playlist myself...it's called "Epic OST", and is full of good soundtracks like Gadiator, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy, Conan, King Arthur, 300, The Mission, The Bounty and loads of other goodies...I find it to be the perfect companion when reading fantasy/S&S books.

I also find the Battlestar Galactica soundtracks (mini series and seasons 1-3) by Richard Gibbs & Bear McCreary are excellent non-intrusive (but inspirational) music.

TA

Good call on King Arthur and Battlestar Galactica. :) I also have the theme to Rambo: First Blood Part II by Jerry Goldsmith on mine. That score kicks some ass!

#28 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

I've been listening to the new Star Trek soundtrack, but recently switched to Sibilius and Borodin.

Yay! They're great aren't they? Jan Sibelius' En Saga tells a S&S yarn as a "tone poem". You expect Conan too loom out of the Cimmerian mists in that one. Borodin's Polovetsian Dances evokes very violent images from me.

Right now, a track from Qntal (Abaelard) just ended, followed by The Great River from LOTR. We have other Qntal fans on this board; they are a German band led by a brilliant soprano. Normally Qntal finds medieval or renaissance poems or songs and bring in some German techno synthesizers. Early on, they had a heavy dark techno sound, but now it's a lot lighter in tone, with medieval instruments. They're very original and enjoyable.

#29 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:42 AM

The Best of Eddie Harris

#30 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:11 AM

Some old Clutch, the new Texas Hippie Coalition and The Old Plank Road from the Chieftains. I was listening to jazz in the car earlier. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#31 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:21 AM

Hey CK! I don't have any Harris at all, but I'm now listening to the Chet Baker/Pieranunzi album, ever hear that? It fits a REALLY rainy Florida evening nicely.

Is anyone familiar with Ralph Vaughan Williams? Amazing English classical composer, incorporated a lot of traditional folk melodies and did some of those 'tone poems' you mentioned, Kortoso. Great stuff.

Earlier it was the Pogues, Rick Derringer and Rush's 'Moving Pictures.' I tend to get a little eclectic on 'chore days.'

Last night, before the front came in off the gulf, I took my telescope to the beach to check out July constellations and listened, appropriately, to Holst's 'The Planets.' (John Williams ripped off the 'Mars' movement for Darth Vader's theme.)

Edited by timeless, 02 July 2009 - 03:21 AM.

All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#32 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:55 AM

Last night, before the front came in off the gulf, I took my telescope to the beach to check out July constellations and listened, appropriately, to Holst's 'The Planets.' (John Williams ripped off the 'Mars' movement for Darth Vader's theme.)

Holst's "Mars" got ripped off blatantly for the "Gladiator" movie, and more subtly for "Pirates of the Caribbean".
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#33 BizarroFett

BizarroFett

Ser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:30 AM

i'm listening to some Dead Kennedy's and reading some old 80's Red Sonja...

#34 BizarroFett

BizarroFett

Ser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:31 AM

KMFDM, Revolting ***** and Lacuna Coil for the most part - new albums from each band.

god i miss the good ol days of some Wax Trax industrial music...

#35 Amaron

Amaron

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:04 AM

I've only got one Rev-Co album but KMFDM and Lacuna Coil are a couple of my absolute standards.
?Customs differ in various countries, but if a man is strong enough, he can enforce a few of his native customs anywhere."
--Robert E. Howard, "The Vale of Lost Women"--

http://www.david-j-west.blogspot.com

#36 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:35 AM

Hey CK! I don't have any Harris at all, but I'm now listening to the Chet Baker/Pieranunzi album, ever hear that? It fits a REALLY rainy Florida evening nicely.

Is anyone familiar with Ralph Vaughan Williams? Amazing English classical composer, incorporated a lot of traditional folk melodies and did some of those 'tone poems' you mentioned, Kortoso. Great stuff.

Earlier it was the Pogues, Rick Derringer and Rush's 'Moving Pictures.' I tend to get a little eclectic on 'chore days.'

Not familar with that Chet Baker album though I'm sure I would like it. Haven't heard anything by him I've disliked. Harris is cool. Highly underrated because he was into fusion but could play straight ahead jazz and bebop with the best of them. Love "The Planets" I have a recording of that as well and have actually played in a wind symphony that performed the Jupiter and Mars movements. Some of it is kind of difficult. 10-4 on the John Williams rip off. I like Rush too although I haven't listened to a lot. I work with a salesman out of my company's corp office who is friends with those guys (lives in KC area). Is that where they're from?

#37 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,136 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

Not familar with that Chet Baker album though I'm sure I would like it. Haven't heard anything by him I've disliked. Harris is cool. Highly underrated because he was into fusion but could play straight ahead jazz and bebop with the best of them. Love "The Planets" I have a recording of that as well and have actually played in a wind symphony that performed the Jupiter and Mars movements. Some of it is kind of difficult. 10-4 on the John Williams rip off. I like Rush too although I haven't listened to a lot. I work with a salesman out of my company's corp office who is friends with those guys (lives in KC area). Is that where they're from?

Rush is from Canada, Cap'n. ;)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#38 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

Been from one end of the universe to the other today musically . From Government Mules 1st disc to some Ozric Tentacles , to Nashville P*$$y , to Mudhoney , to Big Sugar , to Kings of Leon , to the Ventures , to Muddy & the Wolf , to Johnny Winters , to Urge Overkill , to right now Steve Winwood .

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#39 BizarroFett

BizarroFett

Ser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:44 AM

I've only got one Rev-Co album but KMFDM and Lacuna Coil are a couple of my absolute standards.

i'm a huge Al Jorgonsen fan, so i LOVE RevCo, have all their albums, but Ministry is where it's at. haven't listened to KMFDM in some years, it just doesnt feen the same without EnEsch (or however you spell his name) backin up Captain K!

#40 Landsknecht

Landsknecht

Raconteur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:17 PM

Cimmerian rock?

Posted Image

Actually my wife just installed Sirius radio so we are exploring stations.

More Cultus Ferox: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by Landsknecht, 02 July 2009 - 07:08 PM.

-Karl
www.Earngyld.org, http://www.reenactor...hp?action=forum, armourarchive.org