You know that was a movie set, and this is the real thing. :blink:

#22 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

Those Americans are a very patriotic people and fly thier flag with pride. It can seem a bit strange to some. I suppose they earned it well enough from that English bunch :P

That's true, last time I was in the UK I didn't see folks flying the Union Jack from their front porches, but they did represent their footy teams with the same vehemence as we Yanks do our stars and stripes. Maybe if soccer finally catches on, you'll see less jingoism here. ;)

#23 Carlos

Carlos

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:42 PM

The American Flag is to be displayed at all National Register of Historic Places. It is considered part of the National Park Service system. The house may be privately owned and operated but it's considered a public place under federal protection. I haven't been there yet but I'm sure there is also a Texas State Historical Marker on or near the home as well. I'm very glad that REH has been so honored by our nation.
We live so other may die. UnOfficial Motto of the USAF AMMO Troops

#24 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:45 PM

The American Flag is to be displayed at all National Register of Historic Places. It is considered part of the National Park Service system. The house may be privately owned and operated but it's considered a public place under federal protection. I haven't been there yet but I'm sure there is also a Texas State Historical Marker on or near the home as well. I'm very glad that REH has been so honored by our nation.

Your right - you can see the historical marker just to the left in this picture:

REH House
Posted Image

Here's a closeup of the historical marker:

Posted Image

I took a ton of pics of just about everything Howard - it was a wonderful trip. And since Robert E. Howard is a great American writer from Texas, I'm also glad he's been honored by our nation for his literary achievements. Well said, Carlos!

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#25 mckennal

mckennal

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

You go, Carlos!
"'Cept for being wanted for murder and shootin' up a lot of townsfolks, life was a little boring anyway." - Jonah Hex

#26 mckennal

mckennal

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

Not to be rude, but it looks so undecorated, which I find strange. A man of such genious was such a bare room. Then again, I suppose it doesn't matter where your ass is if your heads in Hyboria. :P

I know you're joking, but you're all too right. Many writers have lived in extremely dire straits and turned out awe-inspiring work. (Hell, Ezra Pound lived in a cage for a while! Imagine being transported from Italy to America by boat in a cage, for god's sake! And then going to jail and being released to an insane asylum! Poor Ezra.) Imagination is often the only thing that can liberate us. Unfortunately, it's sometimes not enough.

Here's a neat story about the influence and inspiration writer's homes can have:

Cormac McCarthy found out the city of Knoxville (I think that's right) were going to demolish James Agee's birthplace. Mr. McCarthy went to the construction site, collected all the bricks from the demolished building that he could, and took them home and built a fireplace with them. Imagine being warmed by that fire . . .

Edited by mckennal, 05 November 2006 - 03:45 PM.

"'Cept for being wanted for murder and shootin' up a lot of townsfolks, life was a little boring anyway." - Jonah Hex

#27 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:58 AM

Howard's room was obviously a converted porch. I used to see these often in old houses when I was a boy in south Texas. Houses were just added to as children came along or finances allowed. They often had those windows just left there, which always looked odd. There was one like that in my great aunt's house in Kenedy, Texas. It came in handy during my great uncle's last, invalid years when it was used as his bedroom. She could keep an eye on him as she went about her daily housework. I would hope Robert had some way to cover that window. Another feature of such houses (I don't know if it is true of the Howard house, never been there) is that often every room has a door to the outside. That was so everyone could get out quick if there was a fire.

#28 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:32 AM

Those Americans are a very patriotic people and fly thier flag with pride. It can seem a bit strange to some. I suppose they earned it well enough from that English bunch :P

That's true, last time I was in the UK I didn't see folks flying the Union Jack from their front porches, but they did represent their footy teams with the same vehemence as we Yanks do our stars and stripes. Maybe if soccer finally catches on, you'll see less jingoism here. ;)

I was driving around Worcestershire and Warwickshire on Armistice Day (I think it was) in early November 2002. Not many Jacks out, but you wouldn't believe the number of English flags (St. George's Cross, blue n' white) waving in the English breeze. There was one flying from the little Anglican church where John Bonham's buried.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#29 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

lately an idea got stuck with me about the movie 'the whole wide world'
in the last talk of Howard with Novalyne Price Howard used the word spitfire for N.P. which was real strange for me since i know this word only because of the WWII airplane and i never heard it before used differently...

The term "spitfire" was used long before (1600) the advent of that aircraft. Of course, once that airplane was named, it only meant one thing. :)

#30 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:50 AM

The 16th century Spanish galleon Cacafuego was politely translated by the English as "Spitfire." Actually, it meant "****fire."

#31 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:11 PM

I was driving around Worcestershire and Warwickshire on Armistice Day (I think it was) in early November 2002. Not many Jacks out, but you wouldn't believe the number of English flags (St. George's Cross, blue n' white) waving in the English breeze. There was one flying from the little Anglican church where John Bonham's buried.

Duece,
The St George Cross is red and white.. blue and whites the Scots one (St Andrew).. It was the same during the football world cup, they were even flying little versions of them from cars.

budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#32 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:07 PM

The term "spitfire" was used long before (1600) the advent of that aircraft. Of course, once that airplane was named, it only meant one thing. :)

Incidentally, there's a character called "Spitfire" in E. R. Eddison's great fantasy epic The Worm Ouroboros (1922). There's a strong Elizabethan influence in Eddison.

Edited by Mikey_C, 10 December 2006 - 09:09 PM.

Visit my blog: Necronomania

#33 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:53 AM

The 16th century Spanish galleon Cacafuego was politely translated by the English as "Spitfire." Actually, it meant "****fire."

Hahahhaa , if Howard had called Novalynne a '$hitfire' rather than a 'spitfire' it would have added a different tone to the movie !

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#34 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

Duece,
The St George Cross is red and white.. blue and whites the Scots one (St Andrew).. It was the same during the football world cup, they were even flying little versions of them from cars.

budgie

Sorry 'bout that, Budgie. Bad recollection. :rolleyes:

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#35 coyotejohn

coyotejohn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

I started typing on a very similar machine at a very young age. My sister collects these ancient dinosaurs, still! I believe in Iowa there is a museum dedicated to the old typewriters of yore. I don't recall getting any calluses from our old typewriter but it did spur me into buying a really good portable electric one as soon as I could save some money.

Maybe I will go there someday...if i can convince the wife.

People think I'm archaic because I use a personal word processor,and not a computer, to write. But just looking at that that typewriter makes my fingers hurt. Amazing to think Howard churned out so many stories on it (or at least that exact model). He must have had calluses on his fingers!

I agree about the calluses and I wonder how reliable it was or if he had to constantly fix it. I tried to take a really good picture of the typewriter but Robert's room is roped off which means you have to view the room from the hallway. This is probably the best close-up pic I was able to get of the typewriter:

Posted Image

#36 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:27 AM

Hey Strom,
Great pics. I love them! I too want to go there one day. I might try to make it next year, you never know.
Freebooter
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#37 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

Hey Strom,
Great pics. I love them! I too want to go there one day. I might try to make it next year, you never know.
Freebooter

Thanks FB -That's why I posted them - for those fans who haven't been able to get there. If you can do it, the experience is truly a once in a lifetime experience. B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#38 little david

little david

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:39 AM

thats so cool! not quite how i imagined it, his rooms smaller than i imagined it to be (then again you nver imagine thing anywhere near like what it really is do ya ;) ) although what year did his dad die? just missed it on the headstone :rolleyes:
crom, will you get on your side of the bed!

#39 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:24 AM

Speaking of his little room, I can just picture him living in it, laying there at night imagining things to put in his stories, jumpiing up at times, at all hours, to type or jot down some idea or action that had just entered his mind.
FB
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#40 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

what year did his dad die? just missed it on the headstone :rolleyes:

November 1944

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup