65 replies to this topic

#61 doomflower

doomflower

Unconventional Conventionist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

I wonder if any psychics have ever visited that house and did any "readings", etc.. it would be something if they came away saying REH's ghost was hanging around the place. FB

I was wondering this very same thing the other day. Although I suspect REH wouldn't want to remain on this plane after he died. Even in life I don't think he was really of this world. The man was something else, judging by most accounts, and it's crystal clear in his writing.

Looking forward to the day I get to visit the house in person. Eventually! It's a long way from Australia, so these great pics will have to suffice for now. Thanks, Strom!

Edited by doomflower, 04 February 2013 - 10:59 PM.

Fan my Facebook page, sweeties!~ Synthetic Soul

#62 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Here's a picture from rehtwogunraconteur by Patrice;

Text on the back of the pic reads: “Mrs. I.M. Howard / Mother of Robert E / Author of Conan / novels, Cross Plains / Tex, with dog “Patch” / accross [sic] front grandad’s house / around 1923-24″
As synchronicity would have it, it is a perfect transition from my series of posts on Hester Jane to those on Isaac Howard, beginning in a day or two.
Posted Image

Edited by THE KID, 05 February 2013 - 12:54 AM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#63 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

Posted Image

CLICK HERE FOR AN INTERACTIVE TOUR OF THE HOWARD HOME
http://www.rehupa.co.../house_tour.htm

The house where Howard lived and wrote has been restored by Project Pride, a local community organization dedicated to helping Cross Plains remain a vibrant and growing community. It is located at 625 W. 4th Street (AKA Highway 36) in the city of Cross Plains, Texas and is open for visitors every Friday from 2-5 pm and by appointment. There are many items of interest for the Howard fan, and it is well worth the trip to visit.
To make an appointment, write to:

Project Pride
P.O. Box 534
Cross Plains, TX 76443
or telephone (new numbers as of July 17, 2006. Update your records):
(254)725-6562
(254)725-6498
(254)725-4993
or
(254)725-7478

The house can be seen via satellite, too.

I wanted to go last year a heck of a lot! All the authors of Dreams in a Fire and fans of REH all in one location is a dream come true! Maybe one day I'll get my wish.

Edited by THE KID, 05 February 2013 - 01:01 AM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#64 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

Hey Doomflower,
Yes, I live in Alabama and while not as far away as Austrailia, I am still like 1500-2000 miles from it. And you mentioned getting from his writings what sort of person and mind he was, try his poetry. Him and Edgar Allen Poe remind me of one another. Most of it is very dark, morose, poetry.
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#65 doomflower

doomflower

Unconventional Conventionist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Sydney to Dallas is the longest 747 flight in the world at 8578 miles, and then I suppose there'd be another flight to get to Cross Plains, so I shall continue to envy your 'proximity', Freebooter!
I've been enjoying BarB's word of the week featuring REH's poems and seeking his poetry online and I agree with you. It's magnificent stuff.

@The Kid, I've lost count of how many times I've done the interactive tour, googled and watched some of the fine footage folk on this forum have uploaded of the house.
I'd have to visit his grave, too, and read him some Cormac McArthy or Tanith Lee to see if that will entice his spirit back to earth for a while ;)

Edited by doomflower, 09 February 2013 - 10:55 PM.

Fan my Facebook page, sweeties!~ Synthetic Soul

#66 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

Hi doomflower :) You can also see REH's house via satellite!

http://earthstreetvi...f-my-house.html

Address is located at 625 W. 4th Street (AKA Highway 36) in the city of Cross Plains, Texas