• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:18 PM

In June 2006 I was able to visit the Robert E. Howard Museum in Cross Plains Texas for the centennial celebration of Robert's life and work known annually as REH Days. It was an incredible experience to see the house where Robert had lived, worked and created the many stories we've all come to enjoy and love. I thought it would be great to share some of the photos of Robert's house to all of the members. Enjoy.

REH House
Posted Image

REH Museum would not be possible without Project Pride
Posted Image

REH's room where he typed every story
Posted Image

Another Pic of REH Room
Posted Image

The exact style typewriter used by REH
Posted Image

Lord Durham and REH painting in hallway
Posted Image

Photo of Novalyne Price
Posted Image

Photos hanging in the main hallway
Posted Image

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#2 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

Continued

View from REH's Mothers Room into REH bedroom
Posted Image

REH's Mother Hester
Posted Image

REH, Mother and Father's Tombstone
Posted Image

Side of the Cross Plains Library
Posted Image

Sign as you enter town - just a minute from the house
Posted Image

If you ever have the chance to go to Cross Plains and visit the REH House you will not be disappointed. Project Pride has done an incredibile job of restoring the house to how it would've looked in the 1930's when Bob lived there. Please realize that it is expensive to maintain the museum and any donations to Project Pride help secure the future of this great museum and historic site.

Project Pride Website

#3 AdamJames

AdamJames

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for posting these, Strom.

Unfortunately, I'll probably never get a chance to go there because I live in England...but seeing the photo of REH's room where he typed his stories is very inspirational.

#4 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:52 PM

Very cool, Strom. Thanks for sharing those with us. I'm hoping to get over there either next year or the year after. At least I'll be able to pick LD out of the crowd now. (maybe we should all wear name tags, or shirts with our icons...)

#5 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:18 AM

Great pics, Strom, thanks. Some time I'll make it there. Think of all the worlds we've shared that came from that one humble room.
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#6 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:52 AM

Glad everyone is enjoying the pics - and never say never about visiting Cross Plains and the REH museum. There were a number of people from all over the world at Howard Days. B)

#7 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

Yes , well worth the effort to get there _wherever_you live - see you again in 5 years , so the wife says :lol:

Terry

Edited by terryallenuk, 19 September 2006 - 02:52 PM.

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#8 jak

jak

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for posting the pictures, Strom. It is an odd feeling to see the house and room. On the one hand inspirational, on the other, a bit eerie. This is where REH lived, labored, laughed, suffered. Achieved pulp sucess but without any idea of the resurgence of his works so many years down the line. A room so narrow in which to spin such "yarns."

Been to the Hemingway house in Key West. It was different because he was so famous in his own lifetime, mobile, and rich.

Guess it's the tragic aspect of REH's story that is behind the gleaming white picket fence and house.

Excellent pics.

John A. Karr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#9 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

Shining achievement and tragedy between four white walls.
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#10 Mike_The_Barbarian

Mike_The_Barbarian

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:41 PM

That really is amazing! Is that the actual type-writer!?!?!? It's so odd for me to see his room. Not to be rude, but it looks so undecorated, which I find strange. A man of such genious was such a bare room. Then again, I suppose it doesn't matter where your ass is if your heads in Hyboria. :P

I'd love to go there. Shame I live in England too, haha, I'll have to get over there some time. When's the next one? I'm right in thinking it's sort of a 'open day' or something right? I'd love to go, and I'll have to try and arrange something. I just got my new Passport too. :D

Haha, I always imagened Lord Duram too look very similar to his forum avatar...By Crom, I've been fooled by this internet demon again!

Edited by Mike_The_Barbarian, 28 September 2006 - 11:44 PM.

They are the weak and cowardly who, when the enemy is crashing through the front door, will cower in the back room, counting on better men than themselves to make and keep them free.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Pain is weakness leaving the body

#11 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:40 AM

That really is amazing! Is that the actual type-writer!?!?!?

Although not the original typewriter, it is the exact model Robert used to type his stories. According to a Project Pride volunteer they do know who has the original typewriter and hope one day to add it to the REH museum.

I'd love to go there. Shame I live in England too, haha, I'll have to get over there some time. When's the next one? I'm right in thinking it's sort of a 'open day' or something right? I'd love to go, and I'll have to try and arrange something. I just got my new Passport too. :D

To quote from the Project Pride website (linked above):

Each June, Project Pride and the City of Cross Plains sponsor Robert E. Howard Remembrance Day, during which special postal cancellations and commemorative T-shirts are offered, tours of the home are available, and the Cross Plains Library puts on display some of their holdings of REH original manuscripts. It's a great holiday for a Howard fan.

#12 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:46 AM

Haha, I always imagened Lord Duram too look very similar to his forum avatar...By Crom, I've been fooled by this internet demon again!

Do you look like your avatar? :D

Strom took tons of great pics when we attended Howard Days. He's too shy to post one of himself, but think George Clooney ;)

#13 Mike_The_Barbarian

Mike_The_Barbarian

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for that Strom.

And yes, Lord Duram, my avatar is a photo of me, so I'd guess it does look like me. :P
They are the weak and cowardly who, when the enemy is crashing through the front door, will cower in the back room, counting on better men than themselves to make and keep them free.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Pain is weakness leaving the body

#14 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

Strom took tons of great pics when we attended Howard Days. He's too shy to post one of himself, but think George Clooney ;)

Ha! Oh man, that's a good one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you liked the pics.

Mike_The_Barbarian Posted Today, 06:27 AM

Thanks for that Strom.

No problem Mike.

#15 AdamJames

AdamJames

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:58 AM

Maybe I will go there someday...if i can convince the wife.

People think I'm archaic because I use a personal word processor,and not a computer, to write. But just looking at that that typewriter makes my fingers hurt. Amazing to think Howard churned out so many stories on it (or at least that exact model). He must have had calluses on his fingers!

Edited by AdamJames, 30 September 2006 - 11:59 AM.

#16 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:15 PM

Maybe I will go there someday...if i can convince the wife.

People think I'm archaic because I use a personal word processor,and not a computer, to write. But just looking at that that typewriter makes my fingers hurt. Amazing to think Howard churned out so many stories on it (or at least that exact model). He must have had calluses on his fingers!

I agree about the calluses and I wonder how reliable it was or if he had to constantly fix it. I tried to take a really good picture of the typewriter but Robert's room is roped off which means you have to view the room from the hallway. This is probably the best close-up pic I was able to get of the typewriter:

Posted Image

#17 Bonesaw

Bonesaw

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

Very interesting pics, thanks.

But uh, there doesn't seem to be room for Conan to be standing behind Howard at his typewriter. :D
"There is always a way, if the desire be coupled with courage."

-Conan

#18 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

the place looks like a carnival to me
the American flag outside the house is ridiculous, the door also
the tabs on the pictures give me the chills
certainly nothing moves in that house

I hope you're not trying to cause trouble.

#19 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:13 AM

Since Novalyne Price decided to join the dead i believe there is no trouble adding a flag outside her house too

i hate flags man, here in Greece the army has no mercenaries
everyone has to go
and that means a year of no payment doing all the dirty cleaning and living 24hours with guys

i prefer the place as i saw it in 'the Whole Wide World'

Those Americans are a very patriotic people and fly thier flag with pride. It can seem a bit strange to some. I suppose they earned it well enough from that English bunch :P

I wish the Scots would do the same but we seem to be such a dour lot for some reason (unless theres a fight or we are visiting abroad then the flags and the kilts come out) - fly your flag with pride.

On a side note do you know you can actually be fined here in Scotland for flying the Lion Rampant (the yellow one with the red lion in my sig) unless you have something to do with the old Scots Royalty and even then when flying the St Andrews Cross you are supposed to fly the Union jack beside it.. yeah, over my cold dead body.. you wont see a jack anywhere near my house. :angry:

Budgie

(edited cos I dont proof read before posting - my spellings atroshus!!! ha- ha)

Edited by budgie, 28 October 2006 - 10:15 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#20 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

My dad's uncle was a korean war vet & whenever we went out to the cottage - he had a giant flag-pole & we had to go out every morning & raise a 12-foot Am. flag for the entire lake to see . Every evening we had to take it down at sunset ( he explained to me -that's not just ' respectable ' to the fallen dead - it's a federal law - unless you have a light on the flag all night ). On at least 2 occasions taking that monster flag down - it hit the ground , he had us respectfully fold it into the triangle & burn it - the next day he went & got a new one. ( supposedly also a federal law )

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 28 October 2006 - 11:14 PM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~