Photo

Looking For the Original Howard Conan Stories.

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 VIKINGBLADE

VIKINGBLADE

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:30 AM

hey gang. ive read all the conan stuff, good and bad. now im interested in reading just the original unedited REH Conan stories. With all the new books coming out, its tough to tell what is what. Is there currently a book or series of books that offers these. Im aware of the two volume - The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan of Cimmeria, Book 1 and 2) but this doesnt seem like all of the original REH's. are the coming out with a 3rd volume. Anyone who can point me to a list of all the REH Conan stories, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

#2 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:15 AM

I don't have a complete list of all the Conan stories on hand, so you'll have to wait on that one. The two books you mention are just the 1st and 2nd of what will be a three volume set.
They are the best for getting the complete unedited Howard.
The third volume will be released in tradepaper either late November or early December of this year.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#3 alex

alex

Barbarian by birth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

The Robert E. Howard Stories

Published in Weird Tales
1. The Phoenix on the Sword (Dec 1932)
2. The Scarlet Citadel (Jan 1933)
3. The Tower of the Elephant (Mar 1933)
4. Black Colossus (Jun 1933)
5. The Slithering Shadow (Sep 1933)
6. The Pool of the Black One (Oct 1933)
7. Rogues in the House (Jan 1934)
8. Shadows in the Moonlight (Apr 1934)
9. Queen of the Black Coast (May 1934)
10. The Devil in Iron (Aug 1934)
11. The People of the Black Circle (Sep/Oct/Nov 1934)
12. A Witch Shall be Born (Dec 1934)
13. Jewels of Gwahlur (Mar 1935)
14. Beyond the Black River (May/Jun 1935)
15. Shadows in Zamboula (Nov 1935)
16. The Hour of the Dragon (Dec 35/Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr 1936)
17. Red Nails (Jul/Aug/Sep 1936)

Howard completed four Conan stories not published in his lifetime:
18. The Frost Giant's Daughter Originally a Conan story, but after being rejected, Howard revised it, retitled as "The Gods of the North", the main character's name changed to "Amra of Akbitana".
19. The God in the Bowl
20. The Vale of Lost Women
21. The Black Stranger Rewritten by L. Sprague de Camp as "The Treasure of Tranicos"; Howard's version published in 1987 in Echoes of Valor.

Four other Conan stories were begun by Howard but unfinished:
22. The Snout in the Dark fragment
23. Drums of Tombalku fragment
24. The Hall of the Dead synopsis only
25. The Hand of Nergal fragment

Wolves Beyond the Border
A non-Conan story set in Conan's world fragment.

(BTW, the board's new look is nice)
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king.

- "The Road of Kings"

#4 VIKINGBLADE

VIKINGBLADE

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:39 PM

Thanks guys. :)

#5 SkiSwope

SkiSwope

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:29 AM

The info that Alex posted is from the Dark Storm Chronology / Hyborian Resources site and is incredibly helpful, but it leaves me with a few questions.

Del Rey's Volume 3 is slated to include:
  • Man-Eaters of Zamboula
  • Beyond the Black River
  • Black Stranger
  • Red Nails
  • Teeth of Gwahlur
Once published, will those three Del Rey volumes include ALL of Howard's completed Conan stories?

I've seen mention of The Slithering Shadow and Shadows in the Moonlight, which I assume are simply alternate titles for Xuthal of the Dusk and Iron Shadows in the Moon, respectively, but I'm not certain.

Also, anyone know why Man-Eaters of Zamboula and Teeth of Gwahlur were renamed from Shadows of Zamboula and Jewels of Gwahlur, respectively?

Ski :)
Matthew "Ski" Swope

The scent of the rose lingers on the hand that gives it.

#6 Bear

Bear

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:00 AM

Some that Alex listed unfinished were finished by L.Sprague De Camp. I found 3 books with these along with original finished stories in a yard sale. Never pass up yard sales or used bookstores.

#7 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:47 PM

You can try http://www.rehoward.com/ or http://www.amrathelion.com
I hope that can give you some direction on your journey across the Steppes.
"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
REH-A Witch Shall Be Born - Amra The Lion.com

#8 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:46 PM

The info that Alex posted is from the Dark Storm Chronology / Hyborian Resources site and is incredibly helpful, but it leaves me with a few questions.

Del Rey's Volume 3 is slated to include:

• Man-Eaters of Zamboula
  • Beyond the Black River
  • Black Stranger
  • Red Nails
  • Teeth of Gwahlur
Once published, will those three Del Rey volumes include ALL of Howard's completed Conan stories?

I've seen mention of The Slithering Shadow and Shadows in the Moonlight, which I assume are simply alternate titles for Xuthal of the Dusk and Iron Shadows in the Moon, respectively, but I'm not certain.

Also, anyone know why Man-Eaters of Zamboula and Teeth of Gwahlur were renamed from Shadows of Zamboula and Jewels of Gwahlur, respectively?

Ski  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Del Rey's include ALL the stories , drafts , fragments .

Jewels of Gwahlur was the published title of the story . Teeth appeared on a listing of stories sold to Weird Tales.

I'll ask about the Zamboula title and get back to you

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#9 Skel1977

Skel1977

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

Been reading a lot lately. I read through a few books you all probably have never heard of..mostly politcal books and such but anyhow was thinking of picking up a fantasy/sci fi book or 2 just for a change. I was browsing amazon.com and there is just so much to pick from that Im kind of lost. I was thinking of

1) Forgotten realms Drizzt series and 2) conan because I remember these from a long time ago.

anyhow Im trying to figure out where to start from. There are so many books for both that its kind of confusing especially if you know very little about both. I was hoping someone could help.

I think I would like to start from the beginning for both but you guys would probably know better than I. Can anyone help me?

#10 VincentDarlage

VincentDarlage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

Try The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E. Howard.

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian

I don't know much about Drizzt, but I know I did not care for R.A. Salvatore's writing style for Star Wars Episode II: The Attack of the Clones, so I cannot help there. I don't think much of the Forgotten Realms novels (in general, not specific to Salvatore) either, but I only read a couple when I was a teenager(twenty some odd years ago), so my opinion is not that informed. Hopefully they are better now.

Edited by VincentDarlage, 22 December 2005 - 06:40 PM.

#11 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:06 PM

I think, too, The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian would be a good starting place. And if you can afford it on Amazon the buy The Coming of... and The Bloody Crown of... sounds like a great deal. :)
Crom!

#12 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:15 PM

Been reading a lot lately.  I read through a few books you all probably have never heard of..mostly politcal books and such but anyhow was thinking of picking up a fantasy/sci fi book or 2 just for a change. I was browsing amazon.com and there is just so much to pick from that Im kind of lost.  I was thinking of

1) Forgotten realms Drizzt series and 2) conan because I remember these from a long time ago.

anyhow Im trying to figure out where to start from.  There are so many books for both that its kind of confusing especially if you know very little about both.  I was hoping someone could help.

I think I would like to start from the beginning for both but you guys would probably know better than I.  Can anyone help me?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For Drizzt, swing over to www.rasalvatore.com

(the first novel was The Crystal Shard, though prequels concerning Drizzt were written after that)

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#13 Skel1977

Skel1977

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:19 PM

Been reading a lot lately.? I read through a few books you all probably have never heard of..mostly politcal books and such but anyhow was thinking of picking up a fantasy/sci fi book or 2 just for a change. I was browsing amazon.com and there is just so much to pick from that Im kind of lost.? I was thinking of

anyhow Im trying to figure out where to start from.? There are so many books for both that its kind of confusing especially if you know very little about both.? I was hoping someone could help.

I think I would like to start from the beginning for both but you guys would probably know better than I.? Can anyone help me?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For Drizzt, swing over to www.rasalvatore.com

(the first novel was The Crystal Shard, though prequels concerning Drizzt were written after that)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks everyone. Going to take your suggestions.

#14 Darkmage

Darkmage

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:34 PM

Hello friends,
I was hoping someone here might be able to help. I am looking for the original Conan stories written by Howard himself. Like The Tower of the Elephant, The Devil in Iron, and the Frost Giants Daughter.
Problem is there are so many different editions and versions of Conan out I dont know which ones contain which stories.

I was wondering if anyone here knew where I could find the original stories?

#15 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

Welcome Darkmage, and thank you for your question. This gets asked so often, I'd think the answer would be easier to find. Del Rey recently started with reprints of all the original, unsullied, straight-no-chaser REH Conan stories. They are printed in three volumes.
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian
The Bloody Crown of Conan
The Conquering Sword of Conan

#16 Mike_The_Barbarian

Mike_The_Barbarian

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

Hello everyone,

Right, here's the deal. I've been looking everywhere for a book, or perhaps a series of books containg all the Conan stories by Robert E.Howard - unedited.

There's also one story I can't find anywhere. I only heard reference to it once, so maybe it's not even in print, but I need to know. It's called something like 'The Lair of the Frostworm' I'm not sure if it's spelt Worm or Wyrm either.

I've searched all over the place, and I've found lots of books saying this is a complete collection of the Conan tales, and find stories missing from it! Posted Image

I just have loads of trouble finding all this stuff. Posted Image

Any help will be greatly apreciated and if it leads to me getting the book/s I desire you get a free night of pleasure with me, haha. Posted Image Or I can just buy you a drink, hahaha.

Thanks.
They are the weak and cowardly who, when the enemy is crashing through the front door, will cower in the back room, counting on better men than themselves to make and keep them free.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Pain is weakness leaving the body

#17 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm not really a big fan of starting new topics - haha, mostly because they get ignored or make me look even more stupid :P

Right, here's the deal. I've been looking everywhere for a book, or perhaps a series of books containg all the Conan stories by Robert E.Howard - unedited.

There's also one story I can't find anywhere. I only heard reference to it once, so maybe it's not even in print, but I need to know. It's called something like 'The Lair of the Frostworm' I'm not sure if it's spelt Worm or Wyrm either.

I've searched all over the place, and I've found lots of books saying this is a complete collection of the Conan tales, and find stories missing from it! :huh:

I just have loads of trouble finding all this stuff. :unsure:

Any help will be greatly apreciated and if it leads to me getting the book/s I desire you get a free night of pleasure with me, haha. :P Or I can just buy you a drink, hahaha.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the ice worm story wasn't Robert E. Howard. That was a pastiche. It was Carter and DeCamp.

http://www.dodgenet....m/Hysources.htm

The three recent Del Rey collections of Conan are the complete unedited original Conan stories by Howard.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#18 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

Please look here for the Conan stories:
http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=3555

The story you're thinking of is The Lair of the Ice Worm, isn't it? that is, I believe, a pastiche story, not an original.

#19 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:23 AM

So now that you guys helped him out , are you gonna take the drinks , - or the night of pleasure with Mike ??!! eeeeeeww

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#20 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:31 PM

Greetings!
'The Lair of the Ice Worm' is a deCamp/Carter patch,it was first published in 1969.

Tu