#541 VonKalmbach

VonKalmbach

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:28 AM

Superb! Thanks Patrice!

“Do you try to write like the guys who write for the magazines you write for?” Clyde asked. “Hell, no,” Bob was emphatic about that. “I let them try to write like me.” - From One Who Walked Alone by Novalyne Price Ellis

“I'm learning all I can about the technique. There's where the true pleasure comes in, in any profession, learning the basic rules, the conventions, the technique... Some people are interested only in the finshed article. Not me. When I am interested in anything I want to see it in its crudest state and watch it evolve.”

"I want to know where I came from and why and what relation I hold to the rest of the universe."

Robert E Howard

Try my Conan and Steve Costigan fanfics, if so ye dare...

#542 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:12 AM

Thank you a lot!

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#543 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:31 PM

Barb,

found those on Ebay, dirt cheap. Numbering of pages is carried from one issue to the next, 56 pages. All poetry save for a few very short pieces on poetry and writing poetry at the end.

I knew these were rare, but apparenly they are even rarer than that. At least I haven't heard of any other collector owning one the REH issues. Talk about elusive.

#544 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

Patrice,

Thanks….what an exciting find! Congratulations. When you posted these, I remembered that REH mentioned The Poet's Scroll in the Collected Letters so I researched it (you know me!). Apparently REH had submitted other poems that weren't accepted. When he and Clyde were going to publish their own poetry book, REH wanted to send a copy to this editor.

I hope we can get out our verse in book form. I want to send a copy, for one thing, to the editor of the Poet’s Scroll, who used to reject my verse because he said it was not rhythmic, whereas he didn’t have the guts to admit the real reason — which was that it was entirely too brutal for him and his pink tea laureates. 

So I did a cursory search online about the other two *pink tea laureates* mentioned on the pages: Lulu Brunt Dawson and Robert Seymour Trulock. She edited a poetry book about Arizona Women in Poetry in 1939 but nothing since and nothing at all about Trulock. I wonder how many of their poems the editor chose.

Thanks Patrice for posting this. They are two more pieces of REH history. Fun!

BarB

#545 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:01 AM

There were five poems published in The Poets' Scroll, but of the lot of 4 I managed to snatch, only 2 had REH contents. Maybe I'll try to take pics of the entire TOC for Bill Thom, but it's not that easy to do that without damaging the mags, and you know how obsessive I am abt condition. I noticed a few of the poets were from Texas.

Edited by Patrice Louinet, 06 February 2015 - 12:01 AM.

#546 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:20 AM

Very glad these gems are in your worthy hands and appreciate you sharing. Keep looking and good luck in finding more REH stuff. Thanks Barb for some history and information on these gems.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#547 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:33 AM

Patrice,

Any idea of what the other three poems are? Both "Flaming Marble" and “Dreaming on Downs” are in the Collected Poetry. "Flaming" was included in a letter to Clyde Smith in late 1928 so I know it came from Smith's letters but how did the copy of "Dreaming on Downs" surface? Did Glenn have copies of The Poet's Scroll? Are there typescripts? Were these part of the microfiche that Barlow made and were sent to Glenn?

Barb

#548 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:49 AM

The Poets' Scroll

jan 29 "Flaming Marble"

feb 29 "Rebellion"

apr 29 "Dreaming on Downs"

jun 29 "Empire's Destiny"

aug 29 "Shadow of Dreams"

Some we had drafts of. The existence of the REH poems in TPS became known in the 1980s, when Glenn got photocopies of the TCS letters.

Edited by Patrice Louinet, 06 February 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#549 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:39 AM

Thanks Patrice for the list of poems TPS published. I didn't know there were so many. .

BarB

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conan, books, comics, toys, statues, figures, colectiables