515 replies to this topic

#361 cromsguts

cromsguts

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Somebody should produce a "Barbie the Barbarian" figure. Just take a Barbie doll and strip her and dress her in furs and leather. :lol:

They did that back in the 70's. It's called Mego Conan. That hair---yikes!

Great collection Warduke!

I had that. Gave it to my kids to play with.
Regret not keeping it now.
"There's nothing in the universe cold steel won't cut," answered
Conan. "I threw my ax at the demon, and he took no hurt, but I might
have missed in the dusk, or a branch deflected its flight. I'm not
going out of my way looking for devils; but I wouldn't step out of my
path to let one go by."

#362 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Nothing like a deep orange cover...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#363 Aza9

Aza9

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

Somebody should produce a "Barbie the Barbarian" figure. Just take a Barbie doll and strip her and dress her in furs and leather. :lol:

GRRRRR!

Posted Image
I woulda kept Thothmekri for awhile. He could come in handy.

#364 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Nothing like a deep orange cover...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Beautiful! No spine fading at all.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#365 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

GRRRRR!

Posted Image

:lol: Awesome!

#366 doomflower

doomflower

Unconventional Conventionist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

Thank you to everyone who has shared their collections. It's interesting to see what treasures are around.

I don't have much, but here goes:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Fan my Facebook page, sweeties!~ Synthetic Soul

#367 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

Picked this up two days ago:

Posted Image

Haven't been able to find one with the fold-out poster still included...until now!
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#368 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

Very nice find Taran! And doomflower, great collection you have there! :D

#369 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

This one really has me hooked.

Posted Image

#370 Dan N.

Dan N.

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

Here's my own collection, missing only #0 from the Dark Horse comics, which I loaned to a friend a few days ago. Shortly after taking this picture, I took A Means to Freedom back down to keep reading (you can see my bookmark!).

Posted Image

#371 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:34 AM

Very nice Dan. Are you enjoying A Means to Freedom? I've been rereading some of the early letters in the exchange this past week as I'm starting to work on a Children of the Night/Worms of the Earth article.

#372 Dan N.

Dan N.

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

I go back and forth on whether I can say I'm enjoying A Means to Freedom, though I do find the letters enormously fascinating and insightful. On the one hand, I truly enjoy reading two of my favorite writers talking about everything from Irish history, to local legends in New England and the Southwest, to their respective family histories. But I would like to read more about how they write. So far, at least, the most mention there has been of the actual craft of writing is them (usually Lovecraft) saying, "You could get a great weird story out of that."

The thing I'm most uncomfortable with is the discussion of race, such as when they're talking about immigrants ruining the country. I was particularly stung when Howard wrote that he would ban all immigrants who weren't "Britons...higher class Scandinavians and French." This comes a little after he praised the Germans for starting such orderly and prosperous towns, so I do take it with a grain of salt. Howard, of course, is the younger writer trying to go by what Lovecraft wrote to him, since he has such respect and admiration for Lovecraft. But I know I'm rehashing old arguments, and I know racism in these writings is a powderkeg topic, so I'll say no more on that.

In more practical terms, I'm sorry such a large part of Lovecraft's letters were lost, but I find what we have of these letters fascinating. I'm drawn in by some of the stories they tell each other, which are as interesting as the stories that appeared in publication. And although I find some of the pseudo-history a little boring from a modern perspective, it's also interesting to see them trying to piece together the history of different races from what they knew (and also more than a little wishful thinking and guesswork on their part). I'm impressed by the depth of their knowledge and detailed curiosity. I also have to admit that I get a little jealous, wishing that I could write and receive such long and interesting letters on such a variety of topics, instead of living in the vapid world of Twitter and Facebook. But then I remember they wrote about one or two letters a month to each other, and we're used to much briefer, quicker correspondence.

But I don't want to hijack the thread talking about one book (or two books, technically). I might post some more detailed thoughts about the letters later on. Either way, thanks for the heads up about the books on sale on eBay. They're the best purchase I've made in a while!

#373 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

I go back and forth on whether I can say I'm enjoying A Means to Freedom, though I do find the letters enormously fascinating and insightful. On the one hand, I truly enjoy reading two of my favorite writers talking about everything from Irish history, to local legends in New England and the Southwest, to their respective family histories. But I would like to read more about how they write. So far, at least, the most mention there has been of the actual craft of writing is them (usually Lovecraft) saying, "You could get a great weird story out of that."

The thing I'm most uncomfortable with is the discussion of race, such as when they're talking about immigrants ruining the country. I was particularly stung when Howard wrote that he would ban all immigrants who weren't "Britons...higher class Scandinavians and French." This comes a little after he praised the Germans for starting such orderly and prosperous towns, so I do take it with a grain of salt. Howard, of course, is the younger writer trying to go by what Lovecraft wrote to him, since he has such respect and admiration for Lovecraft. But I know I'm rehashing old arguments, and I know racism in these writings is a powderkeg topic, so I'll say no more on that.

In more practical terms, I'm sorry such a large part of Lovecraft's letters were lost, but I find what we have of these letters fascinating. I'm drawn in by some of the stories they tell each other, which are as interesting as the stories that appeared in publication. And although I find some of the pseudo-history a little boring from a modern perspective, it's also interesting to see them trying to piece together the history of different races from what they knew (and also more than a little wishful thinking and guesswork on their part). I'm impressed by the depth of their knowledge and detailed curiosity. I also have to admit that I get a little jealous, wishing that I could write and receive such long and interesting letters on such a variety of topics, instead of living in the vapid world of Twitter and Facebook. But then I remember they wrote about one or two letters a month to each other, and we're used to much briefer, quicker correspondence.

But I don't want to hijack the thread talking about one book (or two books, technically). I might post some more detailed thoughts about the letters later on. Either way, thanks for the heads up about the books on sale on eBay. They're the best purchase I've made in a while!

I think you are echoing how I felt the first time I read them---cringing at the racist comments, frustration at the missing HPL letters, etc. But what I love is seeing the bits of conversation that would turn into the germs of future stories. Its also interesting to so see how REH evolves from fanboy to confident equal in their interaction over the years. Sometimes the sausage-making isn't pretty, but it's intergral to a contextual understanding of his post-1930 work. I would love to hear your thoughts as you work through them, but as you say this isn't the place. Here's the appropriate thread:

http://www.conan.com...+means +freedom

Edit: In fact if there is mod reading this, maybe they can move these last couple of post over there.

Edited by theagenes, 13 May 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#374 cromsguts

cromsguts

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Patrice that copy looks like it just came out of the bindery! Amazingly good shape. The copy I had looked like someone ate lunch while reading it every day for a year. Your dust jacket is as close to perfect as I've ever seen.

Congrats.
"There's nothing in the universe cold steel won't cut," answered
Conan. "I threw my ax at the demon, and he took no hurt, but I might
have missed in the dusk, or a branch deflected its flight. I'm not
going out of my way looking for devils; but I wouldn't step out of my
path to let one go by."

#375 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

Patrice that copy looks like it just came out of the bindery! Amazingly good shape. The copy I had looked like someone ate lunch while reading it every day for a year. Your dust jacket is as close to perfect as I've ever seen.

Congrats.

It's a flawless copy indeed. Orange vs. sunlight is usually a lost battle; this copy was always stored in the dark.

#376 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

How cool is this? Cuentos de Abuelito no. 58 from 1953. One of the first Conan comic books and rare as hen's teeth.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#377 alfredbonnabel

alfredbonnabel

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:11 AM

Wow Jeff, that really is a great find. Do we have any idea how many copies were ever produced?

#378 alfredbonnabel

alfredbonnabel

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

Got a couple of items for the collection in the mail today myself.

Coven13 - January 1970

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction - August 1966

Posted Image

Posted Image

#379 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

Wow Jeff, that really is a great find. Do we have any idea how many copies were ever produced?

No idea, but they certainly don't turn up very often. Not a whole lot is known about these Mexican Conan comics from the 50's snd 60's but more and more info is beginning to come to light in recent years thanks to the internet.

And nice pick-ups, yourself, Alfred!

#380 alfredbonnabel

alfredbonnabel

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

Got another surprise in the mail today. My very first Weird Tales. Cover is a little rough but the interior is holding up well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conan, books, comics, toys, statues, figures, colectiables