532 replies to this topic

#1 Vulmea

Vulmea

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:00 PM

With many different editions of REH's material about, and with people collecting his writings in different ways, I thought it might be interesting to post pics of our REH collections, or a word or two about whether we collect the paperbacks, or newer compilations, or the original pulps.

My own collection is a mixture of old paperbacks and compilations. Here it is.......

Posted Image

#2 grim cimmerian

grim cimmerian

Saturnine Slayer, Crag Climber, Marauder of the Mountains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:31 PM

Very nice collection there. I have a great deal of books but would necessarily need to borrow my brother's digital or scan real photos. I have been meaning to do a cover gallery for some time now but have been pretty busy.
"WOE UNTO MY FOEMEN, PITY THEIR WIDOWS AND KIN."
All flatlanders are soft and frail, I enjoy those qualities in their women.
"By CROM if you so much as touch your hilt I'll split you from crown to crotch and see if your guts are as yellow as I think they are!"

#3 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:37 AM

Here's a couple pics of just my 'upstairs' reading collection on the desk next to me , the piles are about 90% Howard , didn't want to dig through them to remove the pastiche & the other stuff. I have at least as many more collectors editions & other stuff on shelves in the basement & in boxes unpacked in my garage
If you can't make out any titles in this pic. let me know & I can list 'em
Posted Image
In that pile , in no specific order ( I'm digging through them all the time) are the Ace dozen Conans , the full Bantam series , the full Marvel 6 vols reprinting the Barry W. Smith Conan comics ,& I think just about all of the Berkely , Centaur Press & Zebra Howard editions & a handful of the Tor stuff .
Posted Image
titles from the top down
Well o/the Unicorn p.b.- Fletcher Pratt
Well o/t Unic. original hardcover - George U. Fletcher (Pratt psuedonym)from 1940-something
Trail of tears
one of the flashing swords series h.c. #2
Conan &/t Sorceror - Offutt
all 5 of the Delrey Howard books
Attila king of the Huns - Howarth
The Purple Quest - F.G. Slaughter
Dunsany -Gods Men & Ghosts
tales of Ed. A. Poe
The Dark Barbarian - Herron
Black Vulmeas Vengeance
The Devil in Iron
History of Hell
The Last Celt
upright books - Folio society editions ;
Legends o/t Rings
Barbarian Invasions o/t Roman Empire
Byzantium 3 vols.

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 12 October 2006 - 01:52 AM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#4 Borumas

Borumas

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:40 AM

Nice collection there Painbrush, here's a pic of my small collection, I am trying to add more all the time when I can find some nice old books around town:
Posted Image
In 334BC Alexander met with Celtic warriors on the banks of the Danube and asked them what they feared most, expecting a reply that they feared him. Instead they stated "We fear only that the skies will fall on our heads."
The Celts regarded the Romans as barbarians due to their practice of murdering prisoners or selling prisoners, including women and children, into slavery.

#5 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:15 PM

Have to say that I am impressed by the photos here.
If I can get a hold of a digital camera, and then figure out how to post the photos, I'll be sending some shots of my collection.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#6 Pontifex

Pontifex

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:32 AM

Here's a couple pics of just my 'upstairs' reading collection on the desk next to me , the piles are about 90% Howard , didn't want to dig through them to remove the pastiche & the other stuff. I have at least as many more collectors editions & other stuff on shelves in the basement & in boxes unpacked in my garage
If you can't make out any titles in this pic. let me know & I can list 'em
Posted Image
In that pile , in no specific order ( I'm digging through them all the time) are the Ace dozen Conans , the full Bantam series , the full Marvel 6 vols reprinting the Barry W. Smith Conan comics ,& I think just about all of the Berkely , Centaur Press & Zebra Howard editions & a handful of the Tor stuff .
Posted Image
titles from the top down
Well o/the Unicorn p.b.- Fletcher Pratt
Well o/t Unic. original hardcover - George U. Fletcher (Pratt psuedonym)from 1940-something
Trail of tears
one of the flashing swords series h.c. #2
Conan &/t Sorceror - Offutt
all 5 of the Delrey Howard books
Attila king of the Huns - Howarth
The Purple Quest - F.G. Slaughter
Dunsany -Gods Men & Ghosts
tales of Ed. A. Poe
The Dark Barbarian - Herron
Black Vulmeas Vengeance
The Devil in Iron
History of Hell
The Last Celt
upright books - Folio society editions ;
Legends o/t Rings
Barbarian Invasions o/t Roman Empire
Byzantium 3 vols.

HAHA! that 1st pic looks like my pile of books, except i think mine's worse. I've totally run out of space for everything and its all just piled up wherever i can find space.

#7 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

I just bought my FOURTH glass-fronted bookcase for my REH collection. Not sure I could get it all in one picture . . .

#8 Borumas

Borumas

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:47 AM

I just added 2 more books to the collection I posted, they look like they have some stories I haven't read yet as I have mostly just read Conan, Bran Mak Morn, and Cormac's stories. Here's a pic of the new ones:
Posted Image
In 334BC Alexander met with Celtic warriors on the banks of the Danube and asked them what they feared most, expecting a reply that they feared him. Instead they stated "We fear only that the skies will fall on our heads."
The Celts regarded the Romans as barbarians due to their practice of murdering prisoners or selling prisoners, including women and children, into slavery.

#9 Vulmea

Vulmea

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

My latest REH-related acquisition...the six issue Solomon Kane comic series. Stories include Red Shadows, Hills of the Dead, and Wings in the Night.

Posted Image

Edited by Vulmea, 23 October 2006 - 09:00 PM.

#10 Borumas

Borumas

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

My latest REH-related acquisition...the six issue Solomon Kane comic series. Stories include Red Shadows, Hills of the Dead, and Wings in the Night.

Posted Image

What year did those run, they look nice and I wouldn't ming picking them up if I could somewhere.

#11 Vulmea

Vulmea

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:38 PM

Borumas,

They ran in 1985. I got them off E-Bay.

#12 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:20 PM

I was digging thru some books the other day & this one fell out from between 2 other books , I thought I still had all my collectible Howard stuff packed away in boxes - guess I missed this one . It's just a small press indy type booklet with ;
intro

A touch of Color

The Loser

A Horror in the Night

Nerve

The Sophisticate

The Block

The Nut's Shell

& of course Pay Day .
Posted Image
It was from 'Cryptic Publications' in North Carolina from the mid-'80's . At the time it was printed , only Horror i/t/Night & The Loser had ever been published before in small-press pub.s Cross Plains & Robert E. Howard - Lone Star Fictioneer the other 6 stories were unpublished . Robert M. Price was the editor .

-e) forgot to mention , that's a Steve Fabian cover - some of you fans probably would have deduced that from the sign in the pic. - but it has no other illos. that's not a yellowed cover either - it's printed on a beige-yellow heavy paper stock for the cover . Copy that cover for future ref. any serious Howard collectors - it's a rare one - you may never see another copy again .

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 27 October 2006 - 01:29 PM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#13 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,067 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:05 AM

Too cool, PB. I hafta say though, that you got the "runt of the litter", IMO. The other 3, as I recall, were 2 volumes of juvie El Borak/Lal Singh tales and a spicy collection. THOSE were the Cryptics I asked you about way back when. The Gordon yarns contained REH's first mention of Valusia ("Valooze"). I found out about 'em a yr too late to snag one. Bob Price should get a round of applause for gettin' 'em out there, even on such a limited basis. Did y'all know that Price had a Conan pastiche on-deck when Tor folded the line? It was called "Conan Against the Gods". Considering Price's encyclopaedic knowledge about Howard and world religions of every kind, I'll bet it would have been plenty interesting and damn accurate. That's not something that can be said about too many of the Tors.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#14 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

Following Strom's encouragement, here is the top shelf of my REH library, with my Conan movie swords as decorations.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#15 Evil Thoth-Amon

Evil Thoth-Amon

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

Following Strom's encouragement, here is the top shelf of my REH library, with my Conan movie swords as decorations.

The sword of the father, from CTB!!! What about your hate with the Millius movie?
The natural state of mankind is slavery. The only question is who commands and who obeys...

#16 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

The sword of the father, from CTB!!! What about your hate with the Millius movie?

You should go back and read my comments more closely I think.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#17 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Since i have only 4-5 REH collections so far im far too much of a newbie to post any pictures.

Not among fans who have hole shelf's of REH ;)

#18 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Well, I've been a lurker on these boards for several years and have enjoyed reading all the posts from such a knowledgable group of REH fans. I thought it's about time I introduced myself and showing off a few of my favorite REH items seemed like a fun way to start. :)

I got into REH in the same way that many of you probably did, through the Ace/Lancer paprerbacks when I was a kid, as well as the Marvel comics. The release of the WS editions a few years ago and the new DH comics reinvigorated my interest in Howard (and led me to this forum). The last few years I've been focusing on collecting the original pulps and early books. I thought I'd share some of them with you guys.

To start things off, here's a pic of me with a couple of my favorites:

Posted Image
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#19 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

Here's a group shot I took of some of my favorite pulps a while back, with four Conan WTs in the front row.

Posted Image
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#20 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

Posted Image

I am envious beyond words. No matter what faults that movie had, that sword is arguably the most awesome movie weapon ever... :blink:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conan, books, comics, toys, statues, figures, colectiables