203 replies to this topic

#81 berserkmax

berserkmax

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:38 AM

I just started a new sword and sorcery novel: "Godsdoom" by Nick . . . I'm not sure of his last name--a Russian name.

So far so good!
"Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priest and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content" (Howard--Queen of the Black Coast).

#82 Sermon Bath

Sermon Bath

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

John Norman. The Gor novels are some of my all time favorites....

I'm glad to read this. So I'm not alone.
"Nomads of Gor" is probably my favorite non-Howard Fantasy novel.

well there is no denying that those books could keep one tied up for hours!!
I don't worry...I have to much on my mind

#83 Zula

Zula

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

I love those Gor books, especially the first few....great storytelling, and great cover art on some of them too!
If Woody had gone straight to the Snowhawk Clan, this would never have happened.

#84 Zula

Zula

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

I've also read the Malazan Books of the Fallen, by Stephen Erickson, and the Darkness that Comes Before by R Scott Bakker. Most stuf by China Mieville is good, such as Perdido Street Station, Iron COuncil, or the Scar. Great stuff....I alos like Neil Gaiman's work.
If Woody had gone straight to the Snowhawk Clan, this would never have happened.

#85 Yigenek

Yigenek

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

All books by

Michael Moorcok
Clark Ashton Smith
Ursula K. LeGuin
Roger Zelazny
H. P. Lovecraft
Terry Pratchett
R.E. Howard

I can't think any fantasy Literature without them.

#86 Skarthi

Skarthi

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:55 PM

This has just been released in the UK and i have just ordered a copy from Amazon-

http://www.amazon.co...C...1281&sr=1-1

Any good ?

#87 Rabensblut

Rabensblut

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

Andrzej Sapkowski - Wiedzmin (the Witcher) is great.

But do not forget.

Tale of Igor's Campaign - old eastern Slavic literature (Russian)
The old Irish legend about Cuchulaine (The book I have is called Nine waves The Irish legends - that is sword and sorcery at its best)
The tales about Ragnarok and old legend about Siegfried (Rheingold).

I think that the original fantasy are the Myths and then You just have copies. But that is my humble oppinion.

Best Conan besides REH is Poul Anderson, Conan The Rebel

Edited by Rabensblut, 13 June 2008 - 09:03 AM.

#88 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

This has just been released in the UK and i have just ordered a copy from Amazon-

http://www.amazon.co...C...1281&sr=1-1

Any good ?

BUY IT NOW!! DO NOT PASS GO AND DO NOT COLLECT $200!!!! DON'T DO ANYTHING BUT BUY THAT BOOK!!

It's wonderful!!!. I can't describe it at all! It's real, gritty, noir to the max, funny, sad, exciting , first person narrative, good is bad, bad is good ect.
I've never read anything like that trilogy before. I've already ordered the 2nd omnibus.
You won't be sorry. It's kinda like a down and dirty LOTR, but with a cast of real people set in a real world.
Words fail me!!

Take care.
Doug

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed a while, Then I'll rise and fight with you again

http://uncledougsbunkerofhorror.blogspot.de/

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/about/

#89 gabusan

gabusan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

I would like to recommend the Gor series by John Norman.

http://www.amazon.co...amp;*entries*=0

#90 Skarthi

Skarthi

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

BUY IT NOW!! DO NOT PASS GO AND DO NOT COLLECT $200!!!! DON'T DO ANYTHING BUT BUY THAT BOOK!!

It's wonderful!!!. I can't describe it at all! It's real, gritty, noir to the max, funny, sad, exciting , first person narrative, good is bad, bad is good ect.
I've never read anything like that trilogy before. I've already ordered the 2nd omnibus.
You won't be sorry. It's kinda like a down and dirty LOTR, but with a cast of real people set in a real world.
Words fail me!!

Take care.
Doug
[/quote]

Your right...i have just finished it and it was ****ing ace...just ordered the 'BOOKS OF THE SOUTH' chronicle...cant ****ing wait :P

#91 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:02 PM

Your right...i have just finished it and it was ****ing ace...just ordered the 'BOOKS OF THE SOUTH' chronicle...cant ****ing wait :P

I'm about 2/3s of the way through the first part of the "Books of the South". I got really jumpy waiting these past 6 months for it's release. I read through the "Books of the North" in a week back in January and almost went nuts when I found out the next omnibus was 6 months down the road.
I was happy when that big envelope came 2 weeks ago!! :P

Take care.
Doug

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed a while, Then I'll rise and fight with you again

#92 Skarthi

Skarthi

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

I'm about 2/3s of the way through the first part of the "Books of the South". I got really jumpy waiting these past 6 months for it's release. I read through the "Books of the North" in a week back in January and almost went nuts when I found out the next omnibus was 6 months down the road.

Take care.
Doug

Ha ! nice one...do you know if they are gonna release the rest of the books in a third compilation ?
Cheers
WW1919

#93 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

Take care.
Doug

Ha ! nice one...do you know if they are gonna release the rest of the books in a third compilation ?
Cheers
WW1919

Hi,
It doesn't look like it. :(
Here's the Tor books link...
Glen Cook at Tor
Tor even has a UK site!

Night Shade Books has the first 3 "Dread Empire" books in an omnibus edition. They are good, but not as good as the Black company.
Here's the Night Shade link...

Glen Cook at Night Shade

Take care.
Doug

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

#94 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:47 AM

Currently enjoying a Weird Tales collection I found at my local library. Published in 1988 by Bonanza Books. Among the offerings:

?Isle of the Torturers? ? CAS
?Shadow Kingdom? ? REH
?Dust of the Gods? ? C.L. Moore
?The Automatic Pistol? ? F. Leiber
?Black Barter? ? Robert Bloch
?The Case of Charles Dexter Ward? ? HPL
?The Peeper? ? Frank Belknap Long
?Let?s Play Poison? ? a Ray Bradbury one I?ve never read (and I?ve read a LOT of Bradbury)
?The Professor?s Teddy Bear? ? Theodore Sturgeon
?Something from Out There? ? my first (I know, it?s embarrassing) exposure to Derleth
?Slaughter House? ? R. Matheson

A few others, working my way slowly through them. Nice introduction by Bloch.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#95 MeatHead

MeatHead

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

Did I miss anyone mentioning The Death Dealer series by James Silke (you know, based on Frazetta's painting)? These are out of print and hard to get now, but well worth reading.

I also reccomend reading Imaro. I just finished volume 2, and am hoping beyond hope that he will finish the epic story he started.

#96 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:32 PM

Talbot Mundy's Jim Grimm are very engaging middl east adventures.

any idea where i might find these books without spending a fortune on them?

#97 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

Welcome Cap'n Kidd! I always start by looking in my local library, then used book shops.

#98 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

You're right...i have just finished it and it was ****ing ace...just ordered the 'BOOKS OF THE SOUTH' chronicle...cant ****ing wait :P

"****ing ace"

I like that description.

Black Company is great stuff. :)

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#99 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:56 PM

"Glory Road" by Robert A Heinlein. This is a fantasy not really Sci Fi and my favorite Heinlein book

"The Amber Chronicles" by Roger Zelazny

"The Empire of the East" by Fred Saberhagen

#100 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

Going back to the Warhammer books, I just got a hold of Liar's Peak, featuring a character named Angelika Fleischer, by Robin D. Laws. Anyone read this? Is it any good?