27 replies to this topic

#21 Roquefort Raider

Roquefort Raider

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

thank you, all, also weapons im thinking sword(it been years sense read a kull book, and only one at that :( ) and for and axe ive seen picts of him with all kinds of axes but mostly double headed. the marvel comics also showed him useing an axe alot, did REH do this as well or was this another way for marvel to make dfferences between him and conan?,i mean was an axe kulls preferred weapon??? sorry if these are silly questions
in one conan story conan states he prefers lighter armor to the heavy plates( i forget witch one, i read it in another thread here), is there any reference to or from kull on armor?

From Kings of the night :

Sandals of curious make were on his feet and he wore a pliant coat of strangely meshed mail which came almost to his knees. A broad belt with a great golden buckle encircled his waist, supporting a long straight sword in a heavy leather scabbard. His hair was confined by a wide, heavy golden band about his head.

I think you're right about Marvel trying to differentiate Kull from Conan with a few details like the scar. The Severin siblings made Kull's features quite different from Conan's, but that's not something later artists adhered to. The general "look" of Valusia was also pretty well established in the first volume (and was quite distinct from Marvel's vision of the Hyborian age) but that, too, is something that was lost over time. Kull's somewhat frequent use of an axe is probably due to the power of the story "By this axe I rule", as you pointed out. That being said, in the defining first dozen issues of Kull the conqueror, the king used a sword most of the time; in fact, for a while he was using a particular sword that he had pulled out of a tree at the bottom of an enchanted lake.

For my part, I think Kull's scar is a worthy addition to the myth. Just like the phrase "Elementary, my Dear Watson" for Sherlock Holmes, the scar is not something that the character's creator came up with and so is not canonical. And yet, it is an add-on that does not contradict the creator and that fits the character well. In that regard, it is quite unlike add-ons that are widespread in pop culture but that do contradict what the character's creator established, as the "Conan was a slave as a kid" meme would be.

Cheers!

- Ben

#22 Leoghan

Leoghan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

thank you for that quote from book Roquefort Raider.
and i tend to agree with yoou about the scar not takein anything away from REH,s Kull , i just for the life of me remember if REH put it there or marvel,, :rolleyes:

#23 Ytheogan

Ytheogan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:16 AM

Kull's hair also appears to be brown in the Dark Horse comics, the top of which is confined by a band that falls at the back of his head and two additional bands on either side. It appears they were also attempting to distinguish him from Conan.

#24 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

Kull's hair also appears to be brown in the Dark Horse comics, the top of which is confined by a band that falls at the back of his head and two additional bands on either side. It appears they were also attempting to distinguish him from Conan.

I think Arvid Nelson should distinguish Kull from Conan without distinguishing HIS Kull from REH's one... <_< Marvel Comics managed it...

#25 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:48 AM

I think Arvid Nelson should distinguish Kull from Conan without distinguishing HIS Kull from REH's one... <_< Marvel Comics managed it...

A good option would be, IMO, if AD portrayed Kull with the "narrow grey eyes" he has in REH's yarns. B)

#26 finmaccool

finmaccool

Warrior

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:30 PM

Actually, in "Exile" he was total Tarzan: "black hair", "grey eyes", "hawk-like" visage and "leopard-skin loincloth".

BINGO....

Where Conan is based on a character in Irish mythology known as Conal Cearnach, Kull is based on Tarzan.

Kull was probably a bigger man than Conan, as the Cimmerian was 6'2 and 210 pounds (as was Cormac Fitzgeoffrey). Kull was probably about 6'4 and 240 pounds.

Also notice Kull is FAR stronger than Conan. Kull pulped a Cthulhu like critter in Delcardes Cat, whereas Conan nearly got beat to death by one in Slithering SHadow, I think it was.

Kull is closer to the natural barbarian thanks to his feral upbringing where Conan is far more civilized.

I like the Ploog and Severin depictions of Kull best.

As for his arms and armour, they were made of steel and it was a steel far superior than that of historical times.
In Kings of the Night, Kull fights a Viking and his sword hardly gets notched.

Howards idea was that the ancients knew secrets to steel making and metallic alloys that made them suprior to later ages.
He may not have been off there by much either. Modern scientists still don't like to talk about it or admit it, but in the ancient world metalsmiths knew ways to temper bronze that modern folks STILL have not figured out.
When eggheads can't figure a thing out, they like to make fun of it, or ignore it.
UFOs, paranormal phenomenon and where the static on your radio is being broadcast from being the most typical examples.

#27 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

there one thing i have noticed besides eye color is kull is described as having a high brow and conan is described with a low brow,

#28 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

I think Arvid Nelson should distinguish Kull from Conan without distinguishing HIS Kull from REH's one... Posted Image Marvel Comics managed it...

A good option would be, IMO, if AD portrayed Kull with the "narrow grey eyes" he has in REH's yarns. Posted Image

Sorry, I meant AN... :(