#1 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

Ok folks..

Challenge for ya'all. I admit to knowing absolutely nothing about him, heck I aint even watched the movie so Im after assistance. Funds are short at the moment so buying the books are out of the question as is time reading them so Im taking the easy and quick way out..

I need detailed descriptions of kull..
eye colour
skin colour and description
hair colour
clothing and armour mentioned? (again colours and styles)

No great hurry but if someones up to the task I would appreciate it..

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#2 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:06 AM

From "Exile of Atlantis"
The other was was a counterpart of the speaker, except for the fact that he was slightly larger-- taller, a thought deeper of chest and broader of shoulder. He gave the impression, even more than the first youth, of dynamic speed concealed in long, smooth muscles.

Kull was tall and muscular, much like Conan. He is depicted with black hair, though right off I don't recall where that would be mentioned. He's got "narrow" grey eyes.

As far as clothing he wore the standard king stuff, but was known to strip down for action. Sorry, Budgie ol' pal, no furry underwear.

Someone else might find a better description.

The art in the new book has Kull looking different than normally depicted (a Conan look-alike), but maybe that's the hairstyle Sweet gave him.

#3 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:02 AM

Actually, in "Exile" he was total Tarzan: "black hair", "grey eyes", "hawk-like" visage and "leopard-skin loincloth".

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#4 tofu

tofu

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:38 AM

http://www.howardworks.com/kkulll.htm

Maybe this will help
Warfighting Philosophy:
Shatter the Enemys cohesion through a variety of rapid,focused,unexpected actions which create a turbulent and rapid deteriorating sitchuation in which the enemy cannot cope. Department of the Navy.

Facinated at birth with the power of a Gun, Trained as a Troop to weild one effectively, and still loveing them today.

Nothing beats a well placed sling shot to the bridge of the nose=)

#5 Brule

Brule

Spear Carrier

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:49 AM

http://www.dodgenet....lossom/kull.htm

Best pic
"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft, and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king."

--The Road of Kings

#6 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:16 AM

ah-ha!!

thanks folks.. Tofu even kindly passed on the link to the specific pic I was thinking of (Sphere edition) by Chris Achill?os
Posted Image

I take it Kulls using steel weapons and armour rather than bronze etc? how accurates would you all rate that image?

great stuff guys, keep it coming.

budgie

Edited by budgie, 10 November 2006 - 07:16 AM.

#7 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:23 AM

Never knew Achilleos did Howard. In "Kings of the Night", Kull is said to possess arms and armour far superior to the sub-Roman/Dark Age standard. Hope that helps.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#8 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:24 AM

ah-ha!!

thanks folks.. Tofu even kindly passed on the link to the specific pic I was thinking of (Sphere edition) by Chris Achill?os
Posted Image

I take it Kulls using steel weapons and armour rather than bronze etc? how accurates would you all rate that image?

great stuff guys, keep it coming.

budgie

Are you painting the model based on that painting that was put out awhile back? If so you will have to post pics!

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#9 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:45 AM

Are you painting the model based on that painting that was put out awhile back? If so you will have to post pics!

now, what on earth would make you think of something like that? :rolleyes:

You any more details about this model?

budgie

#10 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:52 AM

now, what on earth would make you think of something like that? :rolleyes:

You any more details about this model?

budgie

I saw it on ebay recently, I think it was done by a company called Ceremonial Studios and was named King Kull. I am not sure on the scale - it was larger than the scale I do so I passed it by.

EDIT: Here is a painted version, it says it was 110mm and called "The Mercenary" apparently-

King Kull model

Edited by Primeval, 10 November 2006 - 08:04 AM.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#11 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

I saw it on ebay recently, I think it was done by a company called Ceremonial Studios and was named King Kull. I am not sure on the scale - it was larger than the scale I do so I passed it by.

EDIT: Here is a painted version, it says it was 110mm and called "The Mercenary" apparently-

King Kull model

yep, you got me..

I picked one up.. just waiting on it arriving. Tjhe description on mines says its only 75mm but Im more tempted to go with the info you supplied..

Its a nice piece - huh.. looking foreward to doing this one, aint done a figure in a while.

Budgie

#12 Leoghan

Leoghan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

hello everyone, i know i dont post much :( , but im haveing trouble remembering if the scar on kulls face was in the REH stories or if only the marvel comics?
thank you

#13 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

hello everyone, i know i dont post much :( , but im haveing trouble remembering if the scar on kulls face was in the REH stories or if only the marvel comics?
thank you

Hello, Leoghan! :D

REH never mentioned any scar in Kull's face. It was idea of Marvel Comics - probably for differentiating Kull and Conan.

#14 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

thank you

Hello, Leoghan! :D

REH never mentioned any scar in Kull's face. It was idea of Marvel Comics - probably for differentiating Kull and Conan.

Yes, I believe Roy Thomas even said that was his idea. I recall reading it, probably in one of the Chronicles of Conan essays. I don't recall which volume, though.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#15 Leoghan

Leoghan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

i see ;) i could not remember if it was only the comics, thank you, im working on my own simple customs made out of the 200X line of masters of the universe :blink: :rolleyes: odd i know,,
again thank you

#16 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

thank you

Hey Leoghan! Welcome back. :) As has been said, the scar was introduced by Roy Thomas. Personally, I never had a problem with it (it's not like REH DIDN't say that Kull was "scarred"). It DID differentiate the Man From Atlantis (the original and only) from Conan, which was helpful for my nine year-old self. Also, RT made the scar very meaningful. Kull gained it from King Borna (who was wielding an axe, as I recall). However, I don't feel that the scar is necessary as a certain "Son of Tarzan" is known to have said on another forum. :rolleyes:

#17 Leoghan

Leoghan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

thank you, all, also weapons im thinking sword(it been years sense read a kull book, and only one at that :( ) and for and axe ive seen picts of him with all kinds of axes but mostly double headed. the marvel comics also showed him useing an axe alot, did REH do this as well or was this another way for marvel to make dfferences between him and conan?,i mean was an axe kulls preferred weapon??? sorry if these are silly questions :rolleyes:
in one conan story conan states he prefers lighter armor to the heavy plates( i forget witch one, i read it in another thread here), is there any reference to or from kull on armor?
again thank you

#18 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:45 AM

Hey, Leoghan! :D

As far as I know, Kull only used axe in By This Axe I Rule, a flint dagger in Exile of Atlantis and sword in other tales (i.e., other tales wich showed him fighting - The Altar and the Scorpion and The Striking of the Gong were two exceptions). But it looks pretty sure Kull knew to handle both weapons.

As for the armour's questions, sorry, but I don't know... :(

#19 Leoghan

Leoghan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:22 AM

thank you , so i assume it was marvel that made tht axe his signature weapon ,,lol

#20 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

I just realised I dont think I ever posted a pic of my finished kull kit.. its the 120mm pewter one based on the Chris Achellios cover...
My photography/photoshop skills aint that hot im afraid and he seems to have come out a little bleached out and orange in the shot as it was done under artificial light but I hope you all get the idea..

kull model

Budgie