68 replies to this topic

#61 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

Interesting that Bran has only revulsion for the subterraneans. No pity, or thought of how they might have developed into normal humans had the Picts not forced them underground.

#62 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Two lines from this story are a complete give away that the man who wrote Conan, wrote this story. I laughed myself silly when I read them the first time many years ago, and again the other night when I started reading the Del-Rey collection:

'His fingers closed in her tangled locks and he shook her viciously.
"Ask me but once more if I dare," he grated, "and your head and shoulders part company! Lead on."'

Both men have such short tempers and are so volatile, but they make fascinating characters to follow thanks to Howard's skills as a writer, who even makes them both likeable. (And short tempered, violent people are generally not likeable, based on personal experience!)

One thing I was wracking my brains over, Conan himself shakes a women out of frustration but I can't think who it was. It wasn't Muriela in Jewels of Gwalhur maybe, does anyone know?
"You might offer me a glass of that wine you're swigging"

#63 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:11 AM

One thing I was wracking my brains over, Conan himself shakes a women out of frustration but I can't think who it was. It wasn't Muriela in Jewels of Gwalhur maybe, does anyone know?

I'm thinking Octavia in "The Devil in Iron":

A wind blowing across the green floor would have made more noise than Conan?s slinking feet. Eyes glued on the sleeping reptile he reached the dais and mounted the glass steps. The snake had not moved. He was reaching for the door?.

The bolt on the bronze portal clanged and Conan stifled an awful oath as he saw Octavia come into the room. She stared about, uncertain in the deeper gloom, and he stood frozen, not daring to shout a warning. Then she saw his shadowy figure and ran toward the dais, crying: ?I want to go with you! I?m afraid to stay alone ? oh!? She threw up her hands with a terrible scream as for the first time she saw the occupant of the throne. The wedge-shaped head had lifted from its coils and thrust out toward her on a yard of shining neck.

*after Conan kills the snake, with much effort and likely a few broken bones and bruised internals*

He was sick and dizzy, and blood oozed from his nose. Groping in a dark mist he clutched Octavia and shook her until she gasped for breath.

?Next time I tell you to stay somewhere,? he gasped, ?you stay!?

To be frank, if I told someone to stay somewhere, only for them to wake up a giant snake I made great pains to tiptoe past... I'd probably do the same, man or woman. Stupid idiot. :P

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#64 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

I'm thinking Octavia in "The Devil in Iron":

To be frank, if I told someone to stay somewhere, only for them to wake up a giant snake I made great pains to tiptoe past... I'd probably do the same, man or woman. Stupid idiot. :P

Yes, that's it I'm sure! Understandable reaction by him too :lol:
"You might offer me a glass of that wine you're swigging"

#65 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:14 AM

Brian Murphy penned an excellent blog post on WotE; it's on Black Gate, here's a link: http://www.blackgate...rds-of-sorcery/
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#66 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

Worms of the Earth is my favorite Howard story ever. Is there a current comic book featuring Bran Mak Morn?

No, not yet.

Terry

Terry :) I agree. Maybe Dark Horse or Boom comics will take this on? I hope so.

I did go to mycomicshop.com and typed in Bran Mak Morn and found some sketches but it's out of stock and will be expensive if found.

Posted Image

Gary Gianni SB Robert E. Howard's Bran Mak Morn (2000) #1Published July 2000 Add to cartAdd to want listAdd to comics I ownThis item is not in stock. If you use the "Add to want list" tab to add this issue to your want list, we will email you when it becomes available.

Introduction by Al Williamson. 16 pages of black and white sketches by Gary Gianni that were later used in the Wandering Star Press edition of Robert E. Howard's Bran Mak Morn. Annotated with Howard text. 8.5" X 5.5", 16 pages, black and white Cover price $10.00
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#67 svent13

svent13

Prairie Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Great story.  I'm not sure it would be my favorite REH story, but it would definitely be in the top 5 at least.  The image of Bran Mak Morn riding as hard as he can with the hellish laughter of Atla ringing in his ears is one of the most powerful scenes of any REH tale, in my opinion.

Every day brings something new!

www.ackans.com

#68 Element0s

Element0s

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

Excellent story, one of Howard's best in my opinion! I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

Gatekeeper

http://gatekeeper-vinland.blogspot.ca

Epic heavy metal inspired by Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, H.P. Lovecraft and much more.

#69 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,051 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

Worms of the Earth creature, rough sketch

WotE_small_zpsad3424e1.jpg

More excellent work, Zarono.  B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.