• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#421 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

Sean Bean was the only thing that drew me to the tv series. Thinking he wouldnt do bad tv show. He is a quality actor known for hardcore roles. He is a respected actor

They can't give Sean Bean enough (quality) work, IMO. Been a big fan of his since Patriot Games. He deserves to be as big as [insert any big Hollywood star] and then some.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#422 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

I have such profound ambivalence about Martin's opus. I enjoy the show — it's probably the highest quality fantasy committed to film, including LOTR. On the other hand, the book series is totally out of hand and, as Deuce opined, it isn't going to be able to hold up its own weight.

The soundtrack of GoT, I must say, is wonderful. A few hints of Last of the Mohicans, elements of Loreena McKennitt — I'm totally addicted to it and listen to it while I'm writing.

I always end up thinking, damn, why doesn't somebody at HBO pick up The Religion and do a faithful miniseries with it — now THAT would kick ass.

#423 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

I always end up thinking, damn, why doesn't somebody at HBO pick up The Religion and do a faithful miniseries with it — now THAT would kick ass.

hear hear! deuce turned me onto that book and i've read it twice now. i like it almost as much as Aztec by Gary Jennings and I've always wondered why that was never turned into an HBO series.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#424 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

hear hear! deuce turned me onto that book and i've read it twice now. i like it almost as much as Aztec by Gary Jennings and I've always wondered why that was never turned into an HBO series.

...and Jim was the one who turned ME onto Willocks' masterpiece. An incredibly cinematic novel and FAR less complicated than ASoF&I. Willocks is a screenwriter and could do the script himself. Why couldn't HE have been given the Conan job?

Oh well, back on topic... Yep, I quite enjoy the GoT soundtrack myself. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#425 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

10 Fantasy Novel Series That Could Be Great TV Shows

http://screenrant.co...ampaign=scribol

Terry

Edited by terryallenuk, 13 December 2011 - 06:31 PM.

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#426 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

A second trailer has been released for the second season of HBO's Game of Thrones, which will premiere in April

http://www.icv2.com/...news/21706.html

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#427 LagomorphRex

LagomorphRex

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

10 Fantasy Novel Series That Could Be Great TV Shows

http://screenrant.co...ampaign=scribol

Terry

Several of those could indeed make for good shows. But I think its a bit tricky. Game of thrones is doing alright going into its second season, but Legend of the Seeker.. which was a decent enough adaption of some really bad books.. didn't make it to season 3, though its timeslot on Sunday afternoons could have been responsible for that more than the quality of the show itself.

I think the Shannara books would be better as a series of films. They really get too repetitive to make for good TV shows, and the casts are really tiny. I think the last attempt to adapt them probably had the right idea. Adapt Elfstones of Shannara, and reference Sword only in flashbacks. And then proceed forward rather than backwards with the less derivative novels. I think the other angle to play up with it is to emphasize its position as a post apocalyptic fantasy.. Don't feature ruined towers of stone, feature ruined skyscrapers. Make sure to film it in the Pacific North West and Hawaii where the books are set too.

Rothfuss's King Killer series would be ideal for a TV show however. Its long, lots and lots and lots of dialogue and plenty of room for re-cap episodes and showing things from different POV's but it would be best to set out with the aim of having say 45 episodes over 3-4 seasons and nothing else. Keep it small.

Riftwar would be.. enourmous.. with 30 books in the series it would be almost as difficult to adapt as Steven Erickson's books.. or Glen Cook's Black Company.. (which should have been on that list)

The Belgariad again.. Having just finished reading the 5 books in that series could easily be whittled down into 6 hours or a trilogy of films.. It could even be gotten smaller.. so much of it is just them walking places it could be compressed a lot and would be too much like Legend of the Seeker.. it would require to many filler episodes to make up for all those pages and pages of endless wandering.

The Wheel of Time (another that was surprisingly absent from that list) would be another Ideal one for TV, simply because even though there are lots of spaces where specific characters are doing nothing, chronologically there are other characters and other scenes which take place during the same time.. making them into movies would require losing all of that.

#428 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

Game Of Thrones: Season 2 - Fight Stunts:

- The illegitimate son of Crom

#429 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

the problem i see with games of throne is that the TV show
will caught up with the book so fast that Martin wont have time
to write other books in the serie
"today the blood of battle upon my weapons will never dry
many i'll send into the ground, laughing as they die"

#430 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

Maybe that will light a fire in his word processor, so he finally finishes the darn thing.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#431 Alien

Alien

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

#432 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

'Game of Thrones' official season 2 art revealed:

http://insidetv.ew.c...s-season-2-art/
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#433 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

well I'm definitely looking forward to this starting up again!
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#434 Maxmagnus

Maxmagnus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Posted Image
"There is no need to carry me to another prison. My life is already ebbing away. I suggest that you nail me to a cross and burn me alive. My flaming body will be a torch to light my people on their path to freedom."

Gavrilo Princip to the prison govenor

#435 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

ok first episode the high point for me was cerseis" power is power "scene.that kid who plays joffrey is my favorite. He makes you hate his character like i've never hated a villain in a show before, a hallmark of a convincing actor. kudos.

#436 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

dang those wolf pups sure did grew big between season 1 & 2
"today the blood of battle upon my weapons will never dry
many i'll send into the ground, laughing as they die"

#437 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Posted Image

Serious, adult fantasy, ladies and gentlemen. :lol:
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#438 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hey did the new season start already????

#439 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

yup.

#440 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

CNN is running "The Making of Game of Thrones" 2 PM ET Sunday on their "NEXT LIST".

Oh, and happy Easter.

Edited by Ironhand, 08 April 2012 - 02:30 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject