#401 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

Jay, you do realize that this is a short drive for Kortoso? :ph34r:
Is the parking better on La Cienaga or Hamilton? :)

#402 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

Jay, you do realize that this is a short drive for Kortoso? :ph34r:
Is the parking better on La Cienaga or Hamilton? :)

Either or. I'll let Larry in Security know a ninja is coming. Larry is twice the size of Zula (as in the comic, not the movie).

#403 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

Ninjas don't use the front entrance. :ph34r: ;)

Edited by ?sir, 27 February 2009 - 05:26 PM.

#404 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

It's easy, my assistant offers Larry a foot massage, slips something interesting into his coffee, and while he's enjoying the hallucinations, I slowly walk in the front door, backwards, laughing. Works every time I've tried it. :ph34r:

Okay, back to the interrogation. :)

#405 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:51 AM

Hi all,

I'm afraid we cannot comment on the authenticity of the supposed script and the review of it.
/ Jay

And I can tell you why.If it was authentic then to comment would void a contract and a possible lawsuit.If it was bogus there would not be any legal repercussion to deny it.Correct?

Tu

#406 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

Your pretty smart Tu.

#407 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

Hi all,

Your pretty smart Tu.

K,I am not 'pretty',nor smart.Now your smart,along with a host of others my pretties ,......egad! :P :lol:

Tu(more to follow) ;)

#408 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

Tu(more to follow) ;)

Don't be too sure.

#409 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hi K,all,

Tu(more to follow) ;)

Don't be too sure.

I am not talking about them.

Tu

#410 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

No word back from Jay on Fan Films? I have cameras and computers just itching to put some stuff out. ;)

I'm bugging Legal about it. It's a matter of formulating a final, all-encompassing answer which is not as easy as it sounds. Perhaps threatening to unleash Acheronian armies will do the trick. Or simply grab a Marto sword from the wall and swing it around.

Jay, any word back from legal yet??? I don't want to force CPI into a position of suing her own fans.

I shall have to take the lack of response in this regard as a "NO" and I am forced to take down my fanfilm "Cimmeria" as an act of self-protection. Sorry, guys.

#411 Gary

Gary

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

Everybody here probably owns a set of the 12 volume Lancer/Ace Conan series. These are pretty old books now. The Lancer glue was terrible. Pages are falling out of even some of the best kept editions. My own set got water damaged this weekend. And so ... here is a question:

Is there any possible chance of some publisher re-issuing these books? I would very much like a new crisp mint set of these books in a format that resembles the original editions as much as possible.

#412 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

Everybody here probably owns a set of the 12 volume Lancer/Ace Conan series. [...] Is there any possible chance of some publisher re-issuing these books? I would very much like a new crisp mint set of these books in a format that resembles the original editions as much as possible.

The Lancer/Ace series will likely not be reprinted as they were, though I understand that the books are special for many Conan fans. All the Howard stories are now available in the Del Rey series, as true to Howard's own writing as possible, not edited, rewritten or completed by others. There are presently no plans to reprint the de Camp, Carter and Nyberg stories, though it is not ruled out if there's enough fan and publisher interest in them.

#413 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

Forget the books, just publish the Frazetta covers.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#414 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

Forget the books, just publish the Frazetta covers.

http://www.frankfrazetta.com/

#415 Gary

Gary

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Everybody here probably owns a set of the 12 volume Lancer/Ace Conan series. [...] Is there any possible chance of some publisher re-issuing these books? I would very much like a new crisp mint set of these books in a format that resembles the original editions as much as possible.

The Lancer/Ace series will likely not be reprinted as they were, though I understand that the books are special for many Conan fans. All the Howard stories are now available in the Del Rey series, as true to Howard's own writing as possible, not edited, rewritten or completed by others. There are presently no plans to reprint the de Camp, Carter and Nyberg stories, though it is not ruled out if there's enough fan and publisher interest in them.

If a Conan movie is ever done (and is highly sucessful) I could see some possible re-interest from publishers for the "original" paperback series. They sold in the millions in their hey-day. Even a 10th of that is a best seller these days.

#416 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

If a Conan movie is ever done (and is highly sucessful) I could see some possible re-interest from publishers for the "original" paperback series. They sold in the millions in their hey-day. Even a 10th of that is a best seller these days.

Yes, because fans didn't know better. Now that we have access to the full, unedited works is there a reason to go back to something "lesser"?

#417 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

Whether you like LSD or not, some of his Conan pastiches were pretty good. I'd like to see a volume or two of just his stories. With a forward by one of our scholars explaining what they are, where they came from, and how they are not "original" stories.

#418 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

Gary, I don't want to start (again) a LSdC controversy, but I'm among those who are totally opposed to your idea.
Please CPI, don't forget Rusty's An REH Purist's Manifesto. It IS still very relevant, IMO.

I hope I will NEVER see Gary's beloved Lancers published again.

Now if LSdC's (and others) pastiches were reprinted separately from REH's texts (minus the 'completions', rewritten stories, etc...), I would have NO problem with that. Let LSdC's "Conan" work stands on its own, as far as possible from anything written by REH.

Edited by Axerules, 06 June 2009 - 05:05 AM.

Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#419 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:22 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with the LSdC/LC stories all being published in seperate volumes, as long as they leave out The Treasure of Tranicos and all of the other posthumous collaborations and rewrites. Being the completist that I am, I'd probably even buy them...as long as Morgan Holmes does the introductions. ;)

Used copies or the Lancers/Ace editions, even ones in mint or near mint condition, are readily available on Amazon or Alibris, but collecting a uniform matching set would probably be a challenge. Of course, the Lancers folded before Conan of Aquilonia was even published . And the original Lancers don't hold up that well. I have 3 or 4 of them, and I've had to re-glue the pages to the cover.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#420 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:25 AM

I prefer REH's original texts, of course. However, if there are a large number of readers who want to read the LSdC/LC stories from the old Lancer paperbacks, why not? But each book should come with a label similar to the warning they put on packages of cigarettes: Warning! The following collection of stories contains revisions and additions to the original Robert E. Howard text. These alterations may have the effect of obscuring or altering the author's original intent and artistry and could result in the reader incurring significant losses in intelligence and self-esteem.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"