470 replies to this topic

#421 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

I prefer REH's original texts, of course. However, if there are a large number of readers who want to read the LSdC/LC stories from the old Lancer paperbacks, why not? But each book should come with a label similar to the warning they put on packages of cigarettes: Warning! The following collection of stories contains revisions and additions to the original Robert E. Howard text. These alterations may have the effect of obscuring or altering the author's original intent and artistry and could result in the reader incurring significant losses in intelligence and self-esteem.

ROFLMAO I agree

#422 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:30 AM

Hey Jay - on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being a rowdy "Hell yes!" - give us an idea of the possibility of Dark Horse Conan being released digitally on itunes through Dark Horse in the very near future? And are we talking new stories or reprinted ones?

Thanks Jay! B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#423 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

Hey Jay - on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being a rowdy "Hell yes!" - give us an idea of the possibility of Dark Horse Conan being released digitally on itunes through Dark Horse in the very near future? And are we talking new stories or reprinted ones?

I assume you're referring to the new iPhone app that Dark Horse launched only a few days ago. They've released four archival issues of Terminator so far and I assume they're going to monitor how it fares before launching a massive digicomic publishing plan. Including Conan has not been discussed yet so I'll make it a middle-of-the-road 3, meaning "Time will tell".

#424 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

Thanks Jay! We will keep our eyes open for some news. :)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#425 matsellah

matsellah

Viceroy of Kambuja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:34 AM

Thanks Jay! We will keep our eyes open for some news. :)

Especially regarding the film. Far too many rumors out there for something that hasn't started up yet.

And I don't wanna hear anything about werewolves. I'm not alone with that.
"Their present king is the most renowned warrior among the western nations. He is an outlander, an adventurer who seized the crown by force during a time of civil strife, strangling King Namedides with his own hands, upon the very throne. His name is Conan, and no man can stand before him in battle." ~ Orastes, 'The Hour Of The Dragon'

"Damned degenerates!" ~ Conan 'Xuthal Of The Dusk'

#426 TortolaBVI

TortolaBVI

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

If the Conan film is due out late next year, is THQ working on a new Conan video game to co-incide with the film?

#427 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

If the Conan film is due out late next year, is THQ working on a new Conan video game to co-incide with the film?

THQ has an option for the movie game but it is not yet executed.

#428 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:16 PM

What's the deal with Dynamite and Thulsa Doom? I thought that CPI had exclusive rights to all of REH's characters besides Red Sonja. Why is Dynamite being allowed to delute, defame, and run roughshot over REH's Skull Faced character, while balantatly lying that their made up story comes from "the pages of REH"? Why aren't they being sued? :blink:
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#429 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

Let me ask the same question albeit rephrased:

Are they being sued?

:blink:

#430 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

What's the deal with Dynamite and Thulsa Doom? I thought that CPI had exclusive rights to all of REH's characters besides Red Sonja.

Red Sonja is not a REH character, Red Sonya is. Re Thulsa Doom, Dynamite has a sublicense to use TD and his environs but no other characters from either the original Kull mythos or the 1982 movie-based Conan mythos.

#431 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:10 AM

So I went to a local bookstore that carries sci-fi and fantasy books in English. They had the two first Del-Rey Conans but the third I was told was out of print. What the.. Come again? :huh: Will it come into print again? How come it's out of print to begin with? Are people only buying the first two and then go "Nah, I won't bother getting the third and final one"? Because the first two were apparently not out of print. Clear this up for me, please. Thanks in advance.

#432 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:32 AM

They had the two first Del-Rey Conans but the third I was told was out of print.

Do not believe for a second that Del Rey are keeping these books out-of-print. We get notifications from DR that such and such book has gone into second, third, fourth printing and I would say especially the Conan books would never be allowed to be out-of-print. Perhaps out-of-stock at one of the points inbetween Del Rey and the store in Sweden, perhaps at the Swedish importer/distributor. Not sure how book ordering and distribution works. But out-of-print, baaaaaaah!

#433 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:20 AM

They had the two first Del-Rey Conans but the third I was told was out of print.

Do not believe for a second that Del Rey are keeping these books out-of-print. We get notifications from DR that such and such book has gone into second, third, fourth printing and I would say especially the Conan books would never be allowed to be out-of-print. Perhaps out-of-stock at one of the points inbetween Del Rey and the store in Sweden, perhaps at the Swedish importer/distributor. Not sure how book ordering and distribution works. But out-of-print, baaaaaaah!

Thank you.

#434 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:28 AM

Red Sonja is not a REH character, Red Sonya is.

Somebody must have forgot to mention that fact to RSI and Dynamite, because they consistently put "based on the heroine created by REH" on her comics. Seems to me that someone wants to have it both ways.

Re Thulsa Doom, Dynamite has a sublicense to use TD and his environs but no other characters from either the original Kull mythos or the 1982 movie-based Conan mythos.

IMO, that was a bad idea on Paradox's part. Dynamite is even more brazen in their claims, saying their Thulsa Doom character is "from the pages of REH." And since Arvid Nelson is penning bothe Kull and Thulsa Doom, where does that leave the DH Kull comic? Isn't this a conflict on interests on Nelson's part? Is DH going to use Doom in future Kull issues? Which Doom are we going to get, the real Skull faced sorceror, or the James Earl Jones wannabe?
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#435 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

IMO, that was a bad idea on Paradox's part.

REH Properties made the deal with Thulsa Doom nine years ago, six years before Paradox acquired REHP. As the property owner we support all our licensees, but we have no input on who is writing Thulsa Doom.

#436 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:12 AM

IMO, that was a bad idea on Paradox's part.

The deal with Thulsa Doom was made nine years ago, six years before Paradox acquired REH Properties. As the property owner we support all our licensees, but we have no input on who is writing Thulsa Doom.

Do you mean REH Properties made the deal before being acquired by Paradox, so that Paradox inherited the deal willy-nilly? So now you're simply stuck with it, like an inoperable tumor.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#437 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

I see that Dynamite are promoting their Thulsa Doom series as "Robert E Howard Presents...." . I presume , sadly , they _are_able to say this ?

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#438 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

No word back from Jay on Fan Films? I have cameras and computers just itching to put some stuff out. ;)

I'm bugging Legal about it. It's a matter of formulating a final, all-encompassing answer which is not as easy as it sounds. Perhaps threatening to unleash Acheronian armies will do the trick. Or simply grab a Marto sword from the wall and swing it around.

Jay, I was just curious since it is taking a bit to answer about fanfilms, Would it be ok we could make some until CPI comes to a decision? I mean if we promise not to make it better (or at least try) than the actual movie.

We want to tell the stories, not to make money from it. It could only bring more people to the real Conan. Indie fanfilms have the freedom of sticking to the actual stories and this is what we would like to do. This would be like free advertising for you guys at our expense because we have to eat the budget ourselves and we would be happy to do this to bring the character to life.

You guys are making it really hard for me to keep my promise

#439 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

No word back from Jay on Fan Films? I have cameras and computers just itching to put some stuff out. ;)

I'm bugging Legal about it. It's a matter of formulating a final, all-encompassing answer which is not as easy as it sounds. Perhaps threatening to unleash Acheronian armies will do the trick. Or simply grab a Marto sword from the wall and swing it around.

Jay, I was just curious since it is taking a bit to answer about fanfilms, Would it be ok we could make some until CPI comes to a decision? I mean if we promise not to make it better (or at least try) than the actual movie.

We want to tell the stories, not to make money from it. It could only bring more people to the real Conan. Indie fanfilms have the freedom of sticking to the actual stories and this is what we would like to do. This would be like free advertising for you guys at our expense because we have to eat the budget ourselves and we would be happy to do this to bring the character to life.

You guys are making it really hard for me to keep my promise

We posted the official notice about fan films in April 2009: Copyrights, Trademarks And Fan Creations.

#440 Michael Miko

Michael Miko

Mercenary Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

Its simple.... CPI... Just stay with Howard. Its not that hard. I spoke to Dan Rosenfelt at REH Day in 2008. He agreed. Stay with Howard and its simple. I don't care if its comics, video games or a movie. Don't pretend you know whats best for REH's material. Bob knew what was best. He wrote it in words that are now immortal.

Please don't disappoint us fans... If you don't... I can swear by whatever gods you want... That your bottom line will far exceed what you have projected.

My opinion.

Edited by Michael Miko, 12 March 2010 - 08:17 AM.

MikO
Heroic Design
Facebook
Twitter
Email: michael_mikos@yahoo.com