470 replies to this topic

#441 Rock

Rock

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

Hi,Jay!I have a question.I'm from Russia.There is a publishing house "Северо-Запад пресс"(North West press in translation).So,they are dishonouring Howard's name and Conan's name.There are many dwarfs and elfs,the gods of sh*t,Conan f**king with animals and with men,portals to the Middle Earth in Hyboria.Have they any rights to publish books like this or any rights to publish books about Conan,Kull,Red Sonja in common?On this moment here is about 200 volumes of this crap.

Edited by Rock, 27 March 2010 - 09:55 AM.

#442 Bill Hollweg

Bill Hollweg

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

No word back from Jay on Fan Films? I have cameras and computers just itching to put some stuff out. ;)

I'm bugging Legal about it. It's a matter of formulating a final, all-encompassing answer which is not as easy as it sounds. Perhaps threatening to unleash Acheronian armies will do the trick. Or simply grab a Marto sword from the wall and swing it around.

Jay, I was just curious since it is taking a bit to answer about fanfilms, Would it be ok we could make some until CPI comes to a decision? I mean if we promise not to make it better (or at least try) than the actual movie.

We want to tell the stories, not to make money from it. It could only bring more people to the real Conan. Indie fanfilms have the freedom of sticking to the actual stories and this is what we would like to do. This would be like free advertising for you guys at our expense because we have to eat the budget ourselves and we would be happy to do this to bring the character to life.

You guys are making it really hard for me to keep my promise

We posted the official notice about fan films in April 2009: Copyrights, Trademarks And Fan Creations.

So why did you C&D BrokenSea when they not a dime- offered everything for free-- and simply wanted to get Conan out to the masses and actually received the audio essential award from SFFaudio for Audio Drama? We even recieved an email asking us for a general copyright from Paradox-and were all ready to start touting the new books et all coming out and spreading the REH love for CPI and it's products-when out of the blue all that changed. So we pulled our audio drama. Thus ends my sermon.

Edited by Bill Hollweg, 27 April 2010 - 08:15 PM.

Bill Hollweg
Have Sword...
Will Slay...
Barbarian in need of Ale...

BrokenSea Audio Productions

The Saga of the Grog and Gryphon <Fantasy Audio Drama>

Planet of the Apes <Audio Drama>

Ulysses-Galactic Guides & Bounty Hunting <Dark Sci-Fi Comedy Audio Drama>

CONAN the Audio Book and Audio Drama

Battlestar Galactica <Audio Drama- coming soon>

#443 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:20 AM

Will there be a new video game tied to the Conan movie? Action figures? Comic book movie adaptation?

When do you forsee the Conan RPG situation resolved? Early 2011? Mid? Late?

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#444 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Hi,Jay!I have a question.I'm from Russia.There is a publishing house "Северо-Запад пресс"(North West press in translation).So,they are dishonouring Howard's name and Conan's name.There are many dwarfs and elfs,the gods of sh*t,Conan f**king with animals and with men,portals to the Middle Earth in Hyboria.Have they any rights to publish books like this or any rights to publish books about Conan,Kull,Red Sonja in common?On this moment here is about 200 volumes of this crap.

Russian publisher Eksmo has the right to publish the Del Rey editions. There is no other license in Russian and the vast number of so-called Conan stories are from before Paradox acquired Conan Properties International. While books already in circulation in the marketplace cannot be stopped, no new books can be written, no books can be reprinted and no books can be sold from distributors to bookstores.

#445 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

Will there be a new video game tied to the Conan movie? Action figures? Comic book movie adaptation?

When do you forsee the Conan RPG situation resolved? Early 2011? Mid? Late?

Movie-based licensing is one of our present priorities. Upcoming tradeshows and conventions like Licensing Show, Comic-Con and Gen-Con are some of our most important venues to meet prospective new licensees and to get face time with many of our existing ones. We're also taking a look at the possibilities for Conan in RPG.

#446 Crastos

Crastos

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

Dear Jay/CPI,

I've got a question pertaining the copyrights. In Germany Howard's works are (at least for the most part) published by the Heyne publishing house. However, I very dislike some of the translations from Heyne because they lack the rhythm and the power of Howard's originals. So I'd like to translate some of Howard's stories by myself and share these with German-speaking Howard readers non-commercially.
On account of my poor knowledge of copyrights I ask you:
On what terms am I allowed to translate Robert E. Howard's works into German language and publish these translations non-commercially (as described above)?

Concretely this question pertains the Kull-story "The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune" for now, which is available on wikisource.org: http://en.wikisource..._of_Tuzun_Thune

I'd be grateful for a clarifying answer.

Greetings from Germany

#447 Bill Hollweg

Bill Hollweg

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Dear Jay/CPI,

I've got a question pertaining the copyrights. In Germany Howard's works are (at least for the most part) published by the Heyne publishing house. However, I very dislike some of the translations from Heyne because they lack the rhythm and the power of Howard's originals. So I'd like to translate some of Howard's stories by myself and share these with German-speaking Howard readers non-commercially.
On account of my poor knowledge of copyrights I ask you:
On what terms am I allowed to translate Robert E. Howard's works into German language and publish these translations non-commercially (as described above)?

Concretely this question pertains the Kull-story "The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune" for now, which is available on wikisource.org: http://en.wikisource..._of_Tuzun_Thune

I'd be grateful for a clarifying answer.

Greetings from Germany

From what I have read all of Howard's Weird Tales short stories (or the vast majority) are PD- though I could be wrong on that.
Bill Hollweg
Have Sword...
Will Slay...
Barbarian in need of Ale...

BrokenSea Audio Productions

The Saga of the Grog and Gryphon <Fantasy Audio Drama>

Planet of the Apes <Audio Drama>

Ulysses-Galactic Guides & Bounty Hunting <Dark Sci-Fi Comedy Audio Drama>

CONAN the Audio Book and Audio Drama

Battlestar Galactica <Audio Drama- coming soon>

#448 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

Here is a question. Why does it read "Spear Carrier" under my avatar? I can't figure out how to fix that. I know Spear Carrier is another user. Sorry if this isn't the correct thread. Thanks.

Read the section under Custom Titles in the Forum Rules & Guidelines: Read Before Posting thread.

#449 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

I have a question pertaining to fan films. I have started a fan-film project and I was thinking of doing some festivals for the actors to get recognition for their work. This is not a commercial release but hopefully they may get awarded. is this allowed? Everything is original including the score but I will have to pay a lot of the crew for their services and I am assuming that since I am the organizer that you mean I can not make money from the movie but I can pay others for their services. Do I understand correctly?

#450 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

Hey Jay! What's the deal with Aquilonians looking like Romans? This subject has been raging in the fan community lately, and I'm curious to know whether Paradox has an official position. I know that Frederick is not only the CEO of CPI, but a bon-fide Howard fan as well. Does he feel that such depictions are consitent with a faithfulness to the source material? Are such depictions dictated, encouraged, or looked down upon but tolerated by CPI? Or are artists simply given free artistic license and just happen to draw them like that after reading the scripts?

Edited by amster, 27 February 2012 - 01:09 AM.

Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#451 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

The forum has at times over the last few weeks seemed extremely sluggish and/or unstable. If I step outside the forum momentarily, the rest of the internet seems to be working just fine. This problem seems to concentrate on logging in or staying logged in, or posting to the forum. ;Tonight, as you see, I can post, but the "quote" function doesn't seem to be working, nor can I copy/paste into a post, either using my own computer functions or using any of the three paste icons in the reply window. And there is a message at the top of the page that tells me I can't start a new topic even though I am logged in.
:blink: :huh:
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#452 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

The forum has at times over the last few weeks seemed extremely sluggish and/or unstable. If I step outside the forum momentarily, the rest of the internet seems to be working just fine. This problem seems to concentrate on logging in or staying logged in, or posting to the forum. ;Tonight, as you see, I can post, but the "quote" function doesn't seem to be working, nor can I copy/paste into a post, either using my own computer functions or using any of the three paste icons in the reply window. And there is a message at the top of the page that tells me I can't start a new topic even though I am logged in.
:blink: :huh:

The forum software relies heavily on Javascript. Can you make sure it's enabled and that it's up to date? I checked your settings and found nothing out of the ordinary. I've noticed the forums sluggish at times, too. Usually it happens when a 'spiderbot' decides to troll the pages to update a search engine.

#453 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Hey Jay! What's the deal with Aquilonians looking like Romans? This subject has been raging in the fan community lately, and I'm curious to know whether Paradox has an official position. I know that Frederick is not only the CEO of CPI, but a bon-fide Howard fan as well. Does he feel that such depictions are consitent with a faithfulness to the source material? Are such depictions dictated, encouraged, or looked down upon but tolerated by CPI? Or are artists simply given free artistic license and just happen to draw them like that after reading the scripts?

Hey Amster! Overseeing the development of most licensed products, all the different comic series being a rather big part of it, I see my role as being a guide. Too strict rules would kill the creative process. I give the creators artistic freedom, to a point, to put their look and feel on it within a flexible set of guidelines. Some things are clearly defined in REH's writings or through earlier use that they are automatically kept consistent without me having to point them out. Others are more flowy and open for interpretation. Aquilonia may be depicted as more Roman by one artist team (some writers give very detailed instructions for the artist, some give the artist free rein), and more medieval in the next. Neither is something I've decreed is or isn't the definitive truth and canon as the Nemedian Chronicles, while written in the period (by a Scribe from the Order according to the King Conan series), nevertheless are interpretations in themselves...

#454 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for the reply, Jay! I'm going to repost it on the appropriate thread (where the debate is raging).
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#455 TheDarkslayer

TheDarkslayer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Who has the rights to publishing Conan stories? I am talking new stories with new authors, not reprints?

On another note, I am having trouble changing my profile pic. It's a jpeg, 800kb, 330kb and 132kb and none will load.

Thanks,
Craig Halloran
author of The Darkslayer

Check out my books and blog!

http://www.thedarkslayer.com

Favorite Conan Stories: The Black Stranger, Queen of the Black Coast ... (i'm going back and re-reading REH Conan) It's long over due.
Favorite Conan Artist: Ernie Chan

#456 TheDarkslayer

TheDarkslayer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

I read about Paradox Entertainment yesterday and I want to say thanks! I think it's great that this company has taken the task of preserving Conan. I hope this is a very profitable, because if it is, that must means more Conan stuff to come. I also like the other shows on Starz, Camelot and Spartacus. If you can do that, then certainly you could do Conan series on Starz!
Craig Halloran
author of The Darkslayer

Check out my books and blog!

http://www.thedarkslayer.com

Favorite Conan Stories: The Black Stranger, Queen of the Black Coast ... (i'm going back and re-reading REH Conan) It's long over due.
Favorite Conan Artist: Ernie Chan

#457 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Who has the rights to publishing Conan stories? I am talking new stories with new authors, not reprints?

Hi Darkslayer,
At the moment there are two publishers of non-Howard Conan stories. TOR Books has a license for stories written by authors such as Robert Jordan and Karl Edward Wagner. ACE/Penguin has a license to publish the Age of Conan MMO tie-in series written by Loren Coleman, Richard Knaak, Jeff Mariotte and Stephen York. Penguin has also published the Conan the Barbarian movie novelization, written by Michael Stackpole. There are presently no other licensees/publishers for new Conan stories.

#458 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

Has there been a subtle change in the way this forum loads and logs in?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#459 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Ironhand, I didn't hear anything from Jay, but I am seeing some minor visual changes, too. Must have been an update.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#460 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

Like.