471 replies to this topic

#341 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

Regarding my previous Red Sonja/Sonya question , with Shadow of the Vulture for all intents and purposes seemingly the only thing Paradox held onto in the settlement , will DH still be able to do an adaptation of that story in the anthology title that was mentioned some time back ? Or would that come under Red Sonja Corps. ownership ?

Cheers

Terry

Edited by terryallenuk, 07 February 2008 - 11:31 AM.

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#342 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

No word back from Jay on Fan Films? I have cameras and computers just itching to put some stuff out. ;)

I'm bugging Legal about it. It's a matter of formulating a final, all-encompassing answer which is not as easy as it sounds. Perhaps threatening to unleash Acheronian armies will do the trick. Or simply grab a Marto sword from the wall and swing it around.

Thanks Jay. I will try both later on tonight :unsure:

#343 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:32 AM

Age of Conan. Will it hit PS3?

Funcom should consider it because MMOs need as many subscribers as they can get. PS3 has an open network architecture unlike 360 so they could connect directly to Funcom's servers. All PS3s have a hard-drive also.

#344 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:09 AM

Just wondering if there was any liklihood of seeing the Conan Newspaper strip collected?

We're looking into it. My quest right now is to find originals of high enough quality.
/ Jay

#345 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

Age of Conan. Will it hit PS3? Funcom should consider it because MMOs need as many subscribers as they can get. PS3 has an open network architecture unlike 360 so they could connect directly to Funcom's servers. All PS3s have a hard-drive also.

Answer from Funcom:
?At the moment we do not have any plans to develop a PS3 version of Age of Conan. The primary goal is to deliver a stable, fun and great PC game in May, and then an Xbox 360 version afterwards. We won?t rule out any PS3 version in the future, but at the moment it is not a focus for us.?

#346 Head-On-A-Pike

Head-On-A-Pike

bleeder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:31 AM

Hey Jay,

After the WGA strike ended, I had kind of hoped -- as I'm sure many here had -- that we might start seeing something more than rumors on the new Conan movie.

I was thinking about that today, in fact, and it occurred to me that the impending SAG negotiations and possible strike may be what's keeping things from moving forward at the moment. I'm just guessing here, and really don't know how this works. Maybe it's not a factor at all, considering that the movie apparently isn't supposed to go into production until the fall.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to ask is: will the SAG situation have any bearing on the production at this point, or is it something that you don't foresee affecting Conan's production schedule or casting plans?

Is there more going on behind the scenes than you guys are letting on? Are you guys just waiting for us to work up a frenzy of anticipation before dropping some tasty news?

Just curious, and -- I guess -- a little impatient. It's been so many years coming.

Thanks,

H-O-A-P

#347 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:42 AM

No word back from Jay on Fan Films? I have cameras and computers just itching to put some stuff out. ;)

I'm bugging Legal about it. It's a matter of formulating a final, all-encompassing answer which is not as easy as it sounds. Perhaps threatening to unleash Acheronian armies will do the trick. Or simply grab a Marto sword from the wall and swing it around.

You don't want us to make a Red Sonja fan-film do you? Maybe that's what you're trying to tell us....
;)
Marvel won't mind the free publicity... :)

#348 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:45 AM

You don't want us to make a Red Sonja fan-film do you? Maybe that's what you're trying to tell us....
;)
Marvel won't mind the free publicity... :)

Should I start on her chainmail outfit? ;)

#349 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

First you have to take measurements. :rolleyes:
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#350 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:32 AM

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to ask is: will the SAG situation have any bearing on the production at this point, or is it something that you don't foresee affecting Conan's production schedule or casting plans?

All of Hollywood would be affected by a SAG strike, therefore also the Conan production. But even if there is a strike we'll be in development at the time and can continue to work in other areas as we did during the writer strike.

Is there more going on behind the scenes than you guys are letting on? Are you guys just waiting for us to work up a frenzy of anticipation before dropping some tasty news?

Fortunately, silence does not mean lack of action. Before you can start the actual production there is an immense lot of work already to make in development. I could write a book about the Conan dev process (after first getting a license from CPI of course, to avoid infringement). When the writer strike now is over the writers are in full speed which will make other parts go forward.

That you are eager to hear everything I can understand, but it's for your own good that you get to hear stuph from us when we have something to announce. Leave it to us to have high hopes and expectations and grind our teeth and tear our hair out to reach them. You need your teeth to eat popcorn at the premiere. I'll take mine intravenously.

#351 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:06 AM

Two more questions down, still a few to go...

Would the now settled dispute regarding Sonja/Sonja help with us seeing a collection, as well as the missing stories from the DH Chronicles books?

Issues 64, 78 and 87 of Conan the Barbarian were originally published in Savage Tales or Savage Sword of Conan and are now reprinted in the recent SSOC collection. Issues 66-68 could be included in future volumes of Chronicles of Conan, planning permitting.

With Shadow of the Vulture for all intents and purposes seemingly the only thing Paradox held onto in the settlement, will DH still be able to do an adaptation of that story in the anthology title that was mentioned some time back?

Paradox might reprint the original story "Shadow of the Vulture", but don?t look for a Dark Horse adaptation.

/ Jay

#352 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

Jay, I was just curious since it is taking a bit to answer about fanfilms, Would it be ok we could make some until CPI comes to a decision? I mean if we promise not to make it better (or at least try) than the actual movie.

We want to tell the stories, not to make money from it. It could only bring more people to the real Conan. Indie fanfilms have the freedom of sticking to the actual stories and this is what we would like to do. This would be like free advertising for you guys at our expense because we have to eat the budget ourselves and we would be happy to do this to bring the character to life.

#353 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:32 PM

Since CPI's connection to this material is through trademark, rather than copyright, probably (although I am no lawyer) this would allow non-profit fan activities. Does anyone know?

#354 matsellah

matsellah

Viceroy of Kambuja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:53 AM

I'm basically forwarding a question for CPI/Paradox that was posed in another COF thread.

Recently, I pasted an interview with Fredrik Malmberg, where he discusses the progression of the film; http://www.redeye.se/vdintervju/21328 as well as a translation HERE.

A subsequent post asked the question:

"Interesting to note that he said that they just got the first version of the script and that they are trying to stay true to Howard's version of Conan. Should we take that as this movie is going to be an actual story, "The Hour of the Dragon," "The Tower of the Elephant," etc.? OR Should we assume that they are coming up with their own unique script that is true to the spirit of Howard's Conan?"

So my question is... can any light be shed on this?
"Their present king is the most renowned warrior among the western nations. He is an outlander, an adventurer who seized the crown by force during a time of civil strife, strangling King Namedides with his own hands, upon the very throne. His name is Conan, and no man can stand before him in battle." ~ Orastes, 'The Hour Of The Dragon'

"Damned degenerates!" ~ Conan 'Xuthal Of The Dusk'

#355 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:53 AM

"Interesting to note that he said that they just got the first version of the script and that they are trying to stay true to Howard's version of Conan. Should we take that as this movie is going to be an actual story, "The Hour of the Dragon," "The Tower of the Elephant," etc.? OR Should we assume that they are coming up with their own unique script that is true to the spirit of Howard's Conan?"

So my question is... can any light be shed on this?

Nothing should be assumed at this early stage. Whether any original Howard stories will be worked into the script in full, in part, or not at all, we're working to make the movie true to Howard's Conan.

#356 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

Over here , in the UK , the only Howard books you'll find in normal bookshops are the Gollancz Conan collections . Any chance that someday soon Paradox , Del Rey and Gollancz can come to an agreement to get Howard's other books available here ?

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

#357 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:47 PM

Over here , in the UK , the only Howard books you'll find in normal bookshops are the Gollancz Conan collections . Any chance that someday soon Paradox , Del Rey and Gollancz can come to an agreement to get Howard's other books available here ?

Due to different territorial rights in the publishing contracts, Del Rey and Gollancz publish some of the Howard material in their respective territories. For instance the Conan material is published by Gollancz in the Commonwealth, and by Del Rey in the rest of the world. Kull, the three volumes of Best of REH and the two upcoming books are worldwide Del Rey so they should be available in the UK, or rather, Del Rey has the right to sell them there. If your local book store does not have them, bug them about it! :)

#358 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:12 AM

I noticed that on the IMDB, the title of the upcoming Conan film has been changed from "Conan the Barbarian" to simply "Conan". Can we assume from this that this is going to be the official title of the new film?
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#359 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:22 AM

Greetings!

Due to different territorial rights in the publishing contracts, Del Rey and Gollancz publish some of the Howard material in their respective territories. For instance the Conan material is published by Gollancz in the Commonwealth, and by Del Rey in the rest of the world. Kull, the three volumes of Best of REH and the two upcoming books are worldwide Del Rey so they should be available in the UK, or rather, Del Rey has the right to sell them there. If your local book store does not have them, bug them about it! :)

I for one, never had to,both Barnes&Noble and Borders had them on the shelves,...and if you spend a rainy afternoon at a used bookstore,ye never know what ye can find.
Jay, a question,which I do not know if you can answer or even want to answer,or maybe some else can; why this and that at least a publishing goes?Who has rights?Legal ---er,stuff?Is everything so complex it would go over my head anyway? ;)
On a different note,......hope things are going smoothly as far as the up coming Conan film,yeah right,you got 20-30 people in a room or on a call and 2,000 different opinions and that in the first 10 minutes1 :P
The writers and maybe the SAG strike will buy you some time,maybe,you can bring some of the other issues(production,location,logistics) under your belts,...

Tu

#360 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

As I mentioned in another thread , no problem for me as I ordered them on-line , but I was thinking of the casual browser in the bookshops . I've never seen them in any over here . Do you know , or could you ask Del Rey , if they do market them over here ? I doubt if readers don't see them/know they exist , they won't try to order.

In the Howard boom in the late 70's/80's there were dozens "on the shelf"

Terry