• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#1 ugs

ugs

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 12:13 PM

As often as possible we will submit your questions to the CEO of CPI.

Any answers we receive will be put in this thread.

If you have any specific questions that you would like answered then please post in this thread.

Please do not use this thread for discussion. Do that in other threads and keep this one clear for Questions and Answers.

Thank you :)

EDIT ---> Added by MrT

Please note, of course, that this does not necessarily mean that he will answer all of the questions posed here since there may be disclosure or other issues involved.

#2 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 03:05 PM

Does CPI and/or the mass market publisher of Wandering Star's collections of Howard's original tales intend any publicity or promotion for them?

Does CPI intend to publish new pastiche novels?

If so, which authors would they use and how soon would we see their work?

There are already a few rumors as to who will be writing the new Conan comic. Has this decision been made?

#3 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 11:05 PM

Would CPI consider opening up Howard's Hyborian Age setting as a background for new stories, and novels, that do not involve Conan?

Would they consider allowing new material to be written, dealing with minor characters and villains, based off of the orginal Howard stories?
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#4 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 09:39 PM

With Mongoose Publishing comming out with an offical Conan RPG in 2004, has any thought been given to an offical line of 25 milimeter miniatures, to go along with both the Conan game, and for roleplayers in general?

#5 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 10:30 PM

Where, and to whom, and in what sort of physical format, might I send some scripts for Conan screenplays? They have received compliments from a number of readers, and they are in my best attempt at standard screenplay format. I also have the first four synopsized in treatment form.

These scripts could probably also form the basis for comic book episodes.

And if the answer is "Warner Bros.", please be more specific in terms of an actual person or office to send to.

Thanks.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#6 wanderer

wanderer

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 11:06 PM

Is anyone else going to be licensed to make the Conan the Barbarian movie swords besides filmswords.com?

It would be nice if someone could sell them for less than $3000...

#7 DeathAdder

DeathAdder

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 05:11 AM

My questions for CPI:

Is CPI going to take a more serious approach to keeping Conan more faithful to the original Robert E. Howard character?

and

Does CPI want to make Conan a dominant figure in digital/electronic entertainment, in other words videogames?

#8 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 12:02 PM

My question really is one for CPI to ask Howard Properties if that's at all possible ?

What's the licencing situation with Howard's other characters ? I know Wandering Star have the book rights but Cross Plains Comics published some comics a few years back . Is there any likelihood of Dark Horse , or someone else , picking them up ?

Cheers

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#9 MrT

MrT

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:33 AM

Here we go folks. Official answers to your questions - and straight from the top no less!
  • Does CPI and/or the mass market publisher of Wandering Star's collections of Howard's original tales intend any publicity or promotion for them?

[Theo Bergquist] Yes we/they will. Exactly how we don?t know yet.

• Does CPI intend to publish new pastiche novels? If so, which authors would they use and how soon would we see their work?

[Theo Bergquist] We have not decided that yet but as it looks now we thinking of doing a "super trilogy" rather than a novel. That trilogy will be the cornerstone of all future pastiches.

• There are already a few rumors as to who will be writing the new Conan comic. Has this decision been made?

[Theo Bergquist] Yes, Dark Horse has decided to work with the acclaimed writer Kurt Buisek, read more about that at conan.com

• Would CPI consider opening up Howard's Hyborian Age setting as a background for new stories, and novels, that do not involve Conan?

[Theo Bergquist] Definitely, we have big plans for that.

• Would they consider allowing new material to be written, dealing with minor characters and villains, based off of the original Howard stories?

[Theo Bergquist] absolutely

• With Mongoose Publishing coming out with an official Conan RPG in 2004, has any thought been given to an official line of 25 millimetre miniatures, to go along with both the Conan game, and for roleplayers in general?

[Theo Bergquist] we have plans for that. Exactly when is not decided though.

• Where, and to whom, and in what sort of physical format, might I send some scripts for Conan screenplays? They have received compliments from a number of readers, and they are in my best attempt at standard screenplay format. I also have the first four synopsized in treatment form. These scripts could probably also form the basis for comic book episodes. And if the answer is "Warner Bros.", please be more specific in terms of an actual person or office to send to.

[Theo Bergquist] Very few companies accept to receive a script or other creative material in any form, for copyright issues. It is Warner that should have the script but without an agent we doubt that they will even look at it.

• Is anyone else going to be licensed to make the Conan the Barbarian movie swords besides filmswords.com? It would be nice if someone could sell them for less than $3000...

[Theo Bergquist] Yes, in fact Marto Spain is the head licensee of the swords. Right now they develop a "not-that-expensive" line of swords, helmets, axes etc from the first movie.

• Is CPI going to take a more serious approach to keeping Conan more faithful to the original Robert E. Howard character?

[Theo Bergquist] As much as we can, yes.

• Does CPI want to make Conan a dominant figure in digital/electronic entertainment, in other words videogames?

[Theo Bergquist] Absolutely, we want all the young fans out there be able to see how cool Conan really is. Videogames is a good platform to present this scull crushing hero.

• My question really is one for CPI to ask Howard Properties if that's at all possible ? What's the licencing situation with Howard's other characters? I know Wandering Star have the book rights but Cross Plains Comics published some comics a few years back . Is there any likelihood of Dark Horse , or someone else , picking them up ?

[Theo Bergquist] Really don?t know, you have to talk to Howard Properties.

parcere spam? et caveat troll?...

#10 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:48 AM

[*]Where, and to whom, and in what sort of physical format, might I send some scripts for Conan screenplays? They have received compliments from a number of readers, and they are in my best attempt at standard screenplay format. I also have the first four synopsized in treatment form. These scripts could probably also form the basis for comic book episodes. And if the answer is "Warner Bros.", please be more specific in terms of an actual person or office to send to.

[Theo Bergquist] Very few companies accept to receive a script or other creative material in any form, for copyright issues. It is Warner that should have the script but without an agent we doubt that they will even look at it.

So how does an ignoramus like me find that kind of agent?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#11 MrT

MrT

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 03:51 PM

[*]Where, and to whom, and in what sort of physical format, might I send some scripts for Conan screenplays? They have received compliments from a number of readers, and they are in my best attempt at standard screenplay format. I also have the first four synopsized in treatment form. These scripts could probably also form the basis for comic book episodes. And if the answer is "Warner Bros.", please be more specific in terms of an actual person or office to send to.

[Theo Bergquist] Very few companies accept to receive a script or other creative material in any form, for copyright issues. It is Warner that should have the script but without an agent we doubt that they will even look at it.? 

So how does an ignoramus like me find that kind of agent?

Now there I don't think he'll be able to help you. :rolleyes:

I did a quick Google search for "literary agents" and came up with several hundred thousand matches (and some sites that offer good advice about getting work published as well). I guess that would be as good a place to start...
parcere spam? et caveat troll?...

#12 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 06:16 PM

Mr. Berquist: "... we thinking of doing a "super trilogy" rather than a novel. That trilogy will be the cornerstone of all future pastiches. "

This sounds fascinating, but I'm unclear on what it entails.
Would the trilogy be a single, huge adventure by a single author?

Do we have any sense of who might be writing it?

The comic seems to be coming along with some speed; do we have an idea of when we might see new pastiche?

#13 Thuriansuz

Thuriansuz

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:10 PM

Do the Roleplaying game plans include the creation of solo modules like Steve Jackson Games did for their Conan sourcebook?

#14 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 11:23 PM

Mongoose has stated that they fully intend to support the game once it is released. Among the material that will be comming out for it include; Books detailing the various nations, a book detailing the different forms of magic used in the setting and, both single and multi-part adventures.

#15 Archangel

Archangel

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 01:58 PM

When can we expect to see Martos version of the Atlantean sword? I'd like to see what they have to offer before I go ahead an purchase on from Albion

[*]Is anyone else going to be licensed to make the Conan the Barbarian movie swords besides filmswords.com? It would be nice if someone could sell them for less than $3000...

[Theo Bergquist] Yes, in fact Marto Spain is the head licensee of the swords. Right now they develop a "not-that-expensive" line of swords, helmets, axes etc from the first movie. 

When can we expect to see their version of the Atlantean sword? I'd like to see what they have to offer before I go ahead an purchase on from Albion

#16 Archangel

Archangel

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 02:08 AM

Hi Theo,
Marto currently sells swords from the TV show, not the first Conan film.
Can you confirm that Marto will release their versions of the Atlantean and elk skull swords from the first film?

Is anyone else going to be licensed to make the Conan the Barbarian movie swords besides filmswords.com? It would be nice if someone could sell them for less than $3000...

[Theo Bergquist] Yes, in fact Marto Spain is the head licensee of the swords. Right now they develop a "not-that-expensive" line of swords, helmets, axes etc from the first movie.?

Exactly what I'd like to know, the response:

"[Theo Bergquist] Yes, in fact Marto Spain is the head licensee of the swords. Right now they develop a "not-that-expensive" line of swords, helmets, axes etc from the first movie."

I've only seen the TV show recreation, and theres no way to ask Marto...

Thanks

#17 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 01:43 PM

Has any progress been made on allowing a writers thread where we can create or own Hyborian Age stories?

#18 wanderer

wanderer

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 09:54 PM

Marto doesn't make the swords from the first Conan film, period.

Marto will probably NOT make the movie swords within the next 20 years. There's no logic in filmswords.com buying the sublicense to make the movie swords only to have Marto immediately undercut their business with cheaper versions of the same thing.

#19 skeletorjr

skeletorjr

Overlord of the Undercooked

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 06:09 PM

I'm a newbie as of last night, so I apologize if this question has been addressed. As a toy fanatic, I'm curious when/if there will be any announcement about Conan toys/action figures. I would love to see a line from McFarlane or Art Asylum, maybe a mix of two or three Conans in different outfits from different parts of his career, I'd love to see a Belit figure, maybe a Thoth Amon,
possibly some of the more memorable creatures from the Howard stories? Any progress there? Thanks! I really appreciate that the company running the show takes the time to listen to us. :)

#20 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 10:15 PM

Has any progress been made on allowing a writers thread where we can create or own Hyborian Age stories?

I wish I could say yes, but unfortunately it's something we're still pushing for.