#2361 Gulbrand

Gulbrand

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

From Basset's blog on Feb 2nd:

And, talking of release dates, I’ve actually SEEN a contract for the US release of Solomon Kane. Admittedly, I haven’t seen a signed contract as lawyers are still playing tennis with it but it exists and, with a decent following wind, will get signed sometime before I retire. The date I saw on the contract definitely had a ’2012′ on it – so maybe, just maybe we’re making some progress. Gotta keep the faith…

So there is still hope for this one! Ridiculously late as this release might be, who knows? A US release would make the sequel chances jump considerably from their admittedly low current level.

#2362 Jessie

Jessie

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

http://www.indiewire...lm-solomon-kane

Opening Action Fest!!

#2363 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

http://www.indiewire...lm-solomon-kane

Opening Action Fest!!

Would this be only like the third major screening of the film in the US? I still don't think it's been shown in NY at all.

#2364 Jessie

Jessie

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

The only other screening I know of was at the Alamo Draft House. What was the other?

#2365 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

The only other screening I know of was at the Alamo Draft House. What was the other?

I thought LA, but now that I think about it, didn't that one get cancelled because of the volcano trapping Bassett in Europe? Then this might be just the second.

#2366 Jessie

Jessie

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

That sounds familiar. I am sure someone more informed that me will confirm or correct the statement.

#2367 Kaziglu Bey

Kaziglu Bey

Grown Axe Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

It was supposed to be shown as part of the Newport Beach Film Festival last year but, yeah, the volcano eruption in Iceland prevented the print from making it out of Europe. I didn't find out 'til I was at the theater the day of the (supposed) showing, ticket in hand. <_<

Edited by Kaziglu Bey, 12 March 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#2368 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Michael Bassett has mentioned on his blog that there should be news of a wider release confirmed during the festival.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#2369 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Finally. I just want a BluRay already! (no my player wont play the UK one...)
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#2370 Jessie

Jessie

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

I am really looking forward to a Blu ray of this. I have seen it several times and am willing ot see it in a theater also just to support the film.

#2371 Gulbrand

Gulbrand

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Good news, everyone! (And not in the Futurama sense). Looks like we might get that Kane film we wanted still!

Paradox Entertainment and Davis Films sign Solomon Kane film/TV license

Stockholm, 2012-04-25 01:13 CEST (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Davis Films and Solomon Kane Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary to Paradox Entertainment Inc., have signed a license agreement for film and TV rights to cutlass-wielding Puritan Solomon Kane, created by Robert E. Howard.

The minimum guarantee for the five-year term generates a positive cash flow in the second quarter of at least 3 MSEK. Paradox retains all license and merchandise rights.

Davis Films, headed by producer Samuel Hadida, previously held the film and TV rights together with Wandering Star. Together they released the first Solomon Kane film in 2009 featuring, among others, James Purefoy, Max von Sydow, and Rachel Hurd-Wood.

“We’re very happy to expand our relationship with Davis Films and Samuel Hadida as they have great experience in building successful, international franchises,“ said Fredrik Malmberg, President of Paradox Entertainment.

#2372 stonecold-mike

stonecold-mike

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Excellent news!! Hopefully James Purefoy will reprise the role.

#2373 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

YES :D

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#2374 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

I wonder if this means that the first film will find distribution in the US.

#2375 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

That's what I was thinking. Any talk of another film is probably premature until the first film gets some kind of US release. The fact another deal got signed means they do intend to do something with the character, but the first part has to be to get the movie in front of American eyes. I was also wondering since they specifically included TV rights, does that mean the TV rights for the first movie, or are they thinking about a series after all?

#2376 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

That's what I was thinking. Any talk of another film is probably premature until the first film gets some kind of US release. The fact another deal got signed means they do intend to do something with the character, but the first part has to be to get the movie in front of American eyes. I was also wondering since they specifically included TV rights, does that mean the TV rights for the first movie, or are they thinking about a series after all?

I'm hoping that they intend to put a series together. Movies always seem to take years to produce, and they never end up as good as they could be or that you hope they'll be (John Carter being the one exception). A series would allow them to finally adapt some genuine Howard stories.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#2377 Gulbrand

Gulbrand

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

I think that's almost certain at this point. For one thing, I don't think WS and Hadida would excercise the option if they hadn't secured the release, but more importantly, Bassett himself has more than hinted that it is going to happen. Latest on April 19th on his blog:

And there’s news about Solomon Kane coming too but again, the deal still isn’t done so I’m duty bound to silence. I’ve given lots of hints and I think we’re all safe in saying that my Puritan adventurer will make it across the Atlantic quite soon. But things have gone wrong in the past, so better not to speak out of place.

The bigger question is what form of release it will be. With the film having been available in DVD stores in Europe for ages, a theatrical release is bound to be pretty limited in my opinion. But I'm there are quite a few fans over there that have been dying to see it on the big screen. Correct? :)

#2378 Kahn

Kahn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm not sure how to feel about this bearing in mind Paradox were one of the production companies that worked on Conan 2011.
Is this a good thing or should I be worried?

#2379 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

I'm not sure how to feel about this bearing in mind Paradox were one of the production companies that worked on Conan 2011.

If a new Solomon Kane film is even remotely similar to the original Howard stories, it will be because Paradox pushed for it.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#2380 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

If a new Solomon Kane film is even remotely similar to the original Howard stories, it will be because Paradox pushed for it.

Why didn't they release this film in the theater in the Us When It first came out and why won't they release it to DVD? What is the deal?