#41 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:19 PM

Thanks, Wiggy.

Arrr.. warn't Long John Silver a Dorst man, eh? Or was that one of the actors who portrayed him?

#42 PEGWiggy

PEGWiggy

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:07 AM

Thanks, Wiggy.

Arrr.. warn't Long John Silver a Dorst man, eh? Or was that one of the actors who portrayed him?

I believe so, but I wouldn't swear to it. Blackbeard came from Bristol (heavy West Country accent that lot).

Wiggy

#43 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:52 AM

Good to know us 'Merckans aren't the only folks who make fun of each others accents ! ( & English accents too .)

It's an English pasttime :) If you go 50 miles in any direction over here you find at least one regional accent totally different to your own. For a small country, we seem to have a huge number of regional accents. Then again, maybe its subjective because I was born here and notice them. I can recognize only a few US accents, but maybe you guys have the same situation. (Do we Brits sound all alike to our former colonies?)

Wiggy

Which US accents can you pick out?

#44 PEGWiggy

PEGWiggy

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:10 AM

Good to know us 'Merckans aren't the only folks who make fun of each others accents ! ( & English accents too .)

It's an English pasttime :) If you go 50 miles in any direction over here you find at least one regional accent totally different to your own. For a small country, we seem to have a huge number of regional accents. Then again, maybe its subjective because I was born here and notice them. I can recognize only a few US accents, but maybe you guys have the same situation. (Do we Brits sound all alike to our former colonies?)

Wiggy

Which US accents can you pick out?

Southern (anything south of Virginia counts) and Brooklyn :) The rest all sound pretty much the same to my foreign ears.

Wiggy

#45 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:37 PM

'Solomon Kane' Movie to Start Production In May

February 05, 2007

Davis Films will start production on Solomon Kane, based on the Robert E. Howard character, in May according to the Hollywood Reporter. Michael Bassett (Wilderness, Deathwatch) will direct.

Solomon Kane is the story of a driven 16th century English Puritan who travels the world fighting evil. Paradox Entertainment picked up the rights to the property, along with the rest of Howard's work (in addition to Conan, which it already owned), early last year (see "Paradox Picks Up Kull & Co.").

www.icv2.com/articles/news/10026.html

Looks like everything is still intact and will finally start rolling. :)

Edited by Strom, 29 August 2007 - 03:36 AM.
Changed Title to reflect the new pre-production date

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#46 Mike_The_Barbarian

Mike_The_Barbarian

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:37 AM

This is great news!!! To be honest, I never thought Conan would get another movie, but to find out that a lesser known character gets to hit the big screen is just fantastic! I'm not sure who I like more out of Conan and Kane...But I can't wait to see it.

I wonder if they'll be doing my most loved yarn... :rolleyes:

Thanks Strom!
They are the weak and cowardly who, when the enemy is crashing through the front door, will cower in the back room, counting on better men than themselves to make and keep them free.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Pain is weakness leaving the body

#47 Solomon_skin

Solomon_skin

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

I want to see more of the background story before I start cheering.

#48 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

For those not in the know the director Michael Bassett did post on this forum about the script:

www.conan.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=3345

With production set to start I would imagine the cast is either finalized or very close to being finalized. B)

#49 Nevermore

Nevermore

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

Thats awesome!! I hope they dont use too many CG in the movie. I feel like in many movies where they go overboard with CG any form of realism goes down the drain and the movie starts to be uberetarded. Van helsing and underworld are prime examples of this.

#50 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:40 PM

Ive just started reading the first few Solomon Kane stories in the Weird Works of REH Vol 1 and I must say I like the character and stories.. pity they wernt longer though..

I wouldnt mind seeing a movie adaptation too..
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#51 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

Ive just started reading the first few Solomon Kane stories in the Weird Works of REH Vol 1 and I must say I like the character and stories.. pity they wernt longer though..

Pick up the Del Rey Solomon Kane .

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#52 monolith

monolith

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:46 AM

Solomon Kane movie complete and looking for a distributor at the Berlin Film Festival.
Solomon Kane

#53 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

Solomon Kane movie complete and looking for a distributor at the Berlin Film Festival.
Solomon Kane

I don't think it's complete. Maybe they are just offering release rights. On Basset's "blog" for 12/06, he is discussing doing storyboards and a letter he sent to a actor to convince him to play Kane. :blink:

#54 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

Pick up the Del Rey Solomon Kane .

Terry

Terry,
Currently buying and working my way through the Weird Works of Robert E howard series of books, I presume all the titles will be in there already, are they?

Budgie

#55 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

Currently buying and working my way through the Weird Works of Robert E howard series of books, I presume all the titles will be in there already, are they?

The Wildside books contain only the material from pulps that are now public domain (or *thought* to be public domain). As that includes the most important Solomon Kane tales, you're probably okay reading them there (as much as I would like to have you buy the Del Rey). "The Right Hand of Doom" and "The Blue Flame of Vengeance" were not published during Howard's lifetime and won't be included in the Weird Works. Neither will the poems "The One Black Stain" and "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville." Not sure what they'll do about "Solomon Kane's Homecoming." The DR also includes some fragments that won't be in the Weird Works, but those are mainly for completists, really, though they fill in some intriguing bits on Kane's life story.

Rusty

#56 TheLordCrom

TheLordCrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:07 AM

Can't wait to see the product. I'm certain it will be a great film. Bassett is a fan of Howard's work, so I hope the core of the character comes through....

Can't wait to see him battling the flying harpies!!!
The Lord Crom
Director of the Solomon Kane Fan Film "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville"
My shortfilms: http://www.mystichammer.com/
Crom's Conan Page and SSOC Cover Gallery: http://www.mystichammer.com/conan/

#57 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

The Wildside books contain only the material from pulps that are now public domain (or *thought* to be public domain). As that includes the most important Solomon Kane tales, you're probably okay reading them there (as much as I would like to have you buy the Del Rey). "The Right Hand of Doom" and "The Blue Flame of Vengeance" were not published during Howard's lifetime and won't be included in the Weird Works. Neither will the poems "The One Black Stain" and "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville." Not sure what they'll do about "Solomon Kane's Homecoming." The DR also includes some fragments that won't be in the Weird Works, but those are mainly for completists, really, though they fill in some intriguing bits on Kane's life story.

Rusty

Thanks for that Rusty, I presumed they would all have been in the Weird Works editions, hadnt considered post REH..

looks like I might have to pick up the del Rey one too then.. you could always bribe me with a signed copy you know.. you did the foreward, right? :rolleyes:

Budgie

#58 RafaelKayanan

RafaelKayanan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

February 05, 2007

Davis Films will start production on Solomon Kane, based on the Robert E. Howard character, in May according to the Hollywood Reporter. Michael Bassett (Wilderness, Deathwatch) will direct.

Solomon Kane is the story of a driven 16th century English Puritan who travels the world fighting evil. Paradox Entertainment picked up the rights to the property, along with the rest of Howard's work (in addition to Conan, which it already owned), early last year (see "Paradox Picks Up Kull & Co.").

I wish this production the best - perhaps they will require someone who knows the ways of the blade/fight choreography/storyboarding/REH characters/film?

#59 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

February 05, 2007

I wish this production the best - perhaps they will require someone who knows the ways of the blade/fight choreography/storyboarding/REH characters/film?

Get on it, RK. :D

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#60 RafaelKayanan

RafaelKayanan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:07 PM

Here's a sampling of some my choreography:

http://rafaelkayanan...OGRAPHY.html#TP