2490 replies to this topic

#1001 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:27 AM

I noticed Latino Review was highlighting the events they felt were of special interest for ComicCon attendees and "Solomon Kane" made the cut.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#1002 wandering star

wandering star

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

Well spoken, WS! You and Michael J. Bassett on the same day. Our humble thread runneth over. I think you and Mr. Bassett have both made a pretty good case for your approach on the first film. What I especially like is you made your decision based on Howard source material. Not everyone who's posted on this thread would agree with your take, but no one could argue your interpretation was totally unrelated to the original stories and poems.

You noted earlier that you were (at that time) in London. So, I am assuming you won't be at ComicCon. I was curious, however, how many people it will take to man the trenches for "Solomon Kane" at ComicCon. In fact, what does it take to present at ComicCon? Do you share technical people with other Davis films making an appearance? For instance, I read that "Dr. Parnassus" will also be presented. I would hope you'll allow Bassett and Purefoy a few posters to sign. That would sure endear you to some of the forum members who plan to attend. Which reminds me, how's that trailer coming?

Posters being printed as i am posting...at least should be! Michael and James will be happy to oblige and Samuel Hadida is also expected to be coming in for the event. You will have to rely upon my postings for now as i am unable to attend. Poster looks terrific! Wish i could be there....i think a few of the fans are in for a surprise. I think its nearly 10 years since Wandering Star Books published the Limited edition Classic text of Kane and the Poems set to music. Any of you guys have a leather copy of it? We secured the film rights to Kane the same year that Tarantino won the Cannes Film Festival with Pulp Fiction! Worked our way through six African scripts and then shifted the focus to the origin approach. I am convinced it was the right way to go for the long term health of the franchise. If the Gods are with us we should be dusting down those old scripts in the Congo and Zanzibar region some time soon. Le Loup, N Longa and the gang!

#1003 thundarr

thundarr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

Posters being printed as i am posting...

Wandering Star, you are AWESOME! :D Now what is the secret password for REH forum members to skip to the head of the line to get the poster signed? :lol: Seriously, you guys are great. Michael J. Bassett stopping by here to personally address a forum member's question about the film? Talk about the star treatment. Looks like I'll be camping out in Hall H on Saturday until the Iron Man 2 panel which looks to be the Main Event of the evening. Unless of course there will be a signing by Mr. Bassett & Mr. Purefoy after the screening in a separate area. In which case, screw Iron Man. ;)

Hall H lineup for Saturday, July 25:

11:00-12:00 Lost: The Final Season Begins

12:15-1:15 Solomon Kane

1:30-2:30 Miramax: Extract? Mike Judge

2:45-3:45 Sony Pictures: Zombieland and 2012

4:00-5:00 Paramount Pictures and Marvel Entertainment: Iron Man 2

#1004 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

Okay , so how do us poor cross-eyed red-headed freckled stepchildren who aren't fortunate enough to get all the way over to SanDiego for the convention order some early posters ?

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#1005 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

Im with Painbrush! I would like a poster but I cant make it this year and its sold out anyway. :(
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#1006 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

Man, I go off to spend a little time quality time with the in-laws and WS drops by with big news. You weren't kidding about keeping us posted. Literally. What is it about film posters that cause grown men to become frenzied fanboys (I'm including myself in that category)? But I do think the posters and a signing will add a lot of luster to the presentation. I have been reading about the the excruciating rite of passage just to get into Hall H. I would hope Davis Films would set a poster or two aside for forum guys like thundarr and Puritan who have faithfully supported the film and will be braving the multitudes in San Diego.

So, Mr. Hadida is going to be there. The gods descend from the heavens. That is very cool. Exiting Paris and it isn't even August. Impressive.

I am very excited about those additional Kane scripts. Gives you a leg up on the next one. Yes, it has to be Africa IMO.

I remain optimistic that Kane is going to be a smash in Europe and shame a few U.S. distributors into hopping on the bandwagon. I also agree with thundarr that it is going to go over extremely well at ComicCon. I am hoping that will speed the distribution process along. The U.S. distributors have seriously misjudged the appeal of this film. A gritty period sword film with fantasy and horror. It is going to bring in both a young and old crowd. But first it is going to blow the lights out at ComicCon.

#1007 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:51 PM

I'll try to send my co-worker from Funcom(US Community Manager) (we are also present on Comic-Con) to run over to Hall H on Saturday, but i fear that he will be fully occupied and not able to grab a poster for me :(

It's interesting that the fact alone that the movie is being presented in Hall H at Comic-Con stirred a lot of media attention on the web already. It's a bit of a shame, that Millenium did not use that potential for doing something with the Conan promotion, because i fear that even if they do a ninja reveal they will get wave of media attention the bigger projects get once the information is rolling.

I hope that Solomon Kane will not be one of those "side-notes" after the news on the big titles, but that its a surprise attention hit! I wish you the best of success, a full hall and a madly excited crowd on Saturday Mr. Bassett and Mr. Purefoy (if he is only half as charming in real-life as he is on the screen, the ladies will throw their underpants on the stage ;) )!

Edited by Waldgeist, 21 July 2009 - 08:56 PM.

Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#1008 wandering star

wandering star

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

Man, I go off to spend a little time quality time with the in-laws and WS drops by with big news. You weren't kidding about keeping us posted. Literally. What is it about film posters that cause grown men to become frenzied fanboys (I'm including myself in that category)? But I do think the posters and a signing will add a lot of luster to the presentation. I have been reading about the the excruciating rite of passage just to get into Hall H. I would hope Davis Films would set a poster or two aside for forum guys like thundarr and Puritan who have faithfully supported the film and will be braving the multitudes in San Diego.

So, Mr. Hadida is going to be there. The gods descend from the heavens. That is very cool. Exiting Paris and it isn't even August. Impressive.

I am very excited about those additional Kane scripts. Gives you a leg up on the next one. Yes, it has to be Africa IMO.

I remain optimistic that Kane is going to be a smash in Europe and shame a few U.S. distributors into hopping on the bandwagon. I also agree with thundarr that it is going to go over extremely well at ComicCon. I am hoping that will speed the distribution process along. The U.S. distributors have seriously misjudged the appeal of this film. A gritty period sword film with fantasy and horror. It is going to bring in both a young and old crowd. But first it is going to blow the lights out at ComicCon.

Not to worry..i have requested some posters to send out to you guys.
Paul

#1009 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:56 PM

Heads up Toronto fans - SK world premiere is in Toronto at the Toronto Film Festival:

Muslims, Mormons featured in Toronto

Fest announces Real to Reel and horror sidebar titles
By Etan Vlessing
July 21, 2009, 11:29 AM ET

TORONTO -- Documentaries from Chris Smith, Marc Levin and Emmett Malloy, and others with subjects that include Islamic extremists and Mormons cleaning up Hollywood, are among the documentary titles added Tuesday to the Real to Reel sidebar at the Toronto International Film Festival.

Malloy will bring "The White Stripes Under Great White Northern Lights" to Toronto for a world premiere, as will U.S. director Don Argott with "The Art of the Steal," an art world whodunit, organizers said Tuesday.

Other politically charged documentaries at the Toronto fest, which runs Sept. 10-19, include Chris Smith's "Collapse," a portrait of radical thinker Michael Ruppert, and Marc Levin's "Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags," a look at New York's garment district slated for its own world premiere.

Andrew James and Joshua Ligairi secured a world premiere for "Cleanflix," a film about Mormons in Utah cleaning up R-rated Hollywood films, only to run into legal problems and a sex scandal of their own.

Also Toronto-bound is Jeff Stilson's "Good Hair," an investigation into African-American hair culture by comedian Chris Rock, British filmmaker Nick Stringer's "Turtle: The Incredible Journey," and the Irish doc "Colony," from Carter Gunn and Ross McDonnell.

As in past years, global issues and character studies dominate the sidebar, with Mehran Tamadon bringing "Bassidji," a portrait of extremist supporters of Iran's Islamic regime, Israeli director Zippi Brand Frank's "Google Baby," a film about a surrogate baby producer in India, and "How to Fold a Flag," a film about U.S. soldiers returning from Iraq from "Gunner Palace" directors Michael Tucker and Petra Epperlein.

Character portraits include the Daniel Ellsberg biopic "The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers," from Judith Ehrlich and Rick Goldsmith, and "Snowblind," Vikram Jayanti's portrait of a disabled athlete.

Toronto also rolled out Midnight Madness titles for its horror and gore sidebar, including world premieres for Karyn Kusama's "Jennifer's Body," the Megan Fox-starring thriller, Rick Jacobson's "Bitch Slap," "Daybreakers," the Ethan Hawke and William Dafoe-starrer from Michael Spierig and Peter Spierig, and "George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead."

Also striking Midnight in Toronto is a world premiere for Michael Bassett's "Solomon Kane," and international premieres for Sean Byrne's "The Loved Ones," and Japanese director Hitoshi Matsumoto's comedy "Symbol."

Toronto also booked a Canadian premiere for Thai Director Tony Jaa's "Ong Bak 2: The Beginning."

And the festival's Wavelengths program, which focuses on avant-garde and experimental movies, has booked Klaus Lutz's "Titan," T. Marie's "010101," Ernie Gehr's "Waterfront Follies," and Austrian director Josef Dabernig's "Hotel Roccalba."

The Toronto International Film Festival will make additional lineup announcements in the coming weeks.

www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/awards_festivals/news/e3i2771ab8de5cfc4d1b6a336f64b3e0f0

B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#1010 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

Heads up Toronto fans - SK world premiere is in Toronto at the Toronto Film Festival:
Toronto also rolled out Midnight Madness titles for its horror and gore sidebar, including world premieres for Karyn Kusama's "Jennifer's Body," the Megan Fox-starring thriller, Rick Jacobson's "Bitch Slap," "Daybreakers," the Ethan Hawke and William Dafoe-starrer from Michael Spierig and Peter Spierig, and "George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead."

Also striking Midnight in Toronto is a world premiere for Michael Bassett's "Solomon Kane," and international premieres for Sean Byrne's "The Loved Ones," and Japanese director Hitoshi Matsumoto's comedy "Symbol."

Cool news, Strom! I remember not long ago when we were talking up a Texas screening, Wandering Star said their would be a North American premier. I thought the use of "North American" meant something was coming up in Canada. Well, if the screenings in L.A. and Austin engendered a slew of reviews and web postings, the Toronto premier all create a whole lot more. Now, don't we have a few Canadian forum members? Seems to me we have a few Detroit-based members, anyway. I think Davis Films is on the right track. Nows the time to pull out the stops and put some pressure on some U.S. distributors.

And BTW, whatever happened to our Texas (Houston) screening, WS?

#1011 wandering star

wandering star

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Cool news, Strom! I remember not long ago when we were talking up a Texas screening, Wandering Star said their would be a North American premier. I thought the use of "North American" meant something was coming up in Canada. Well, if the screenings in L.A. and Austin engendered a slew of reviews and web postings, the Toronto premier all create a whole lot more. Now, don't we have a few Canadian forum members? Seems to me we have a few Detroit-based members, anyway. I think Davis Films is on the right track. Nows the time to pull out the stops and put some pressure on some U.S. distributors.

And BTW, whatever happened to our Texas (Houston) screening, WS?

Working on it!!
Paul

#1012 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

That's great! And let's not get into that Houston-Dallas debate. I am perfectly willing to compromise and hold it in the Woodlands Convention Center way north of Houston in the direction of Dallas.

#1013 Ramonon

Ramonon

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:58 PM

Wow! First Comic Con...now Toronto FF! incredible...thanks to Strom for the heads up. it was also announced by Mr. Bassett himself on his blog: http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/ As he says, the "Kane train is now rolling!" choo choo. choo choo, baby!...lol... This is all such great news. please let us know, Mr. Barrow, about obtaining posters any way we can. Thank you. Now, the time is nigh when the evil "Hollywood Promoters" and the soul-less "US Distributors" will rue the day, as they feel the cold steel of Kane's rapier, and they cannot run away! Bwah hahahaha! .....sorry, its just too cool.
Wayward and restless as the wind, he was consistent in only one respect?he was true to his ideals of justice and right. Such was Solomon Kane.?

#1014 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

Now, the time is nigh when the evil "Hollywood Promoters" and the soul-less "US Distributors" will rue the day, as they feel the cold steel of Kane's rapier, and they cannot run away! Bwah hahahaha! .....sorry, its just too cool.

Nice turn of phrase, Ramonon! Strom has created a separate thread for the Toronto premier that you might like to check out.

#1015 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

Over on AICN contributor Quint has revealed that he will be moderating the Solomon Kane panel.

"If you want to see my ugly mug live and in person, I will be moderating the SOLOMON KANE panel 12:15pm-1:15pm Saturday, Hall H. The panel will feature never before seen clips from the flick and two much more handsome men than I will be joining me on the stage: Director Michael J. Bassett and star James Purefoy. I will be trying to play it cool, but know no matter what you see I will be sh***ing my pants being up in front of so many people."

He also has a few pics of the setting up at the ComicCon last night. Here is the link.

AICN

#1016 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

Oh man! I really regret not being able to make it to Comic Con this year! Hopefully there are some youtube videos!
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#1017 Crom's bells

Crom's bells

Sinewy thews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

Dearie me, Michael J Bassett himself on the forums :). It's a pleasant surprise - although I've never read Solomon Kane before, and hence my low expectations on the movie, I think it's great that Mr Bassett himself has decided to come over to interact with the community.

The film sounds like it's gonna be great, and I really can't wait to catch the first glimpse of the trailer when it's up. You just made my day Mr Bassett, thanks so much :D

#1018 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:47 AM

I would hope Davis Films would set a poster or two aside for forum guys like thundarr and Puritan who have faithfully supported the film and will be braving the multitudes in San Diego.

Not to worry..i have requested some posters to send out to you guys.
Paul

Hey, Wandering Star! I just missed this yesterday in all the excitement. Extremely generous and considerate of you. You are the Prince of Producers.

#1019 hollycole1

hollycole1

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

WS when oh when will us poor Brits get to see this film??? The distributers seem to be sitting on it-what about the London film festival? Can't let all the Americans have the fun and us miss out.

#1020 Hipster

Hipster

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

WS when oh when will us poor Brits get to see this film??? The distributers seem to be sitting on it-what about the London film festival? Can't let all the Americans have the fun and us miss out.

I second this question; I thought that the British release had been sorted, there was a release date of 28th of October 2009 (I think that was the date) on IMDB for ages but now they've taken it down, did the distributer pull out? Will we get a theatrical release at all?