2490 replies to this topic

#2301 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

That would be a consummation devoutly to be wished, NS. I will join you in keeping hope alive. A little faith never hurt anyone.

Especially not in the case of Solomon Kane. :)
Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#2302 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

I took this from Taranaich's Conan webstie in which he participated in a round table discussion in Cross Plains with Parradox chief Fredrik Malmberg. Here is the quote:

"When asked about Solomon Kane’s US release, Fredrik reiterated that while they had many offers for a DVD release, they wanted to get a theatrical one. They’re hopeful that Conan might muster more enthusiasm for that, and it looks like they might be close to finalizing a release date. "

Could be Wandering Star would like to hold the film from theatrical distribution in hope that a "Conan the Barbarian" success would gin up some interest in another REH project. Not a bad idea if the existing DVD's on the market don't gum up the works.

As I noted on it's own thread, I picked up a copy of the novelization at Barnes and Noble today in the new release section. Thinking that they might be leftover copies imported to the US to clear inventories, I checked the inside flap, where it says "1st edition June 2011", which means that it's a new printing specifically aimed at the U.S. market. Looks like there's a good chance that a U.S. theatrical realease is forthcoming.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#2303 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:55 AM

One would wonder why almost a year after the film's release in Europe, a novelization of that film would show up in the States with such a recent a publication date. Interesting.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#2304 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:27 AM

I think it's all going to depend on Conan's success at the box office. If it's a hit, expect a Solomon Kane theatrical release to quickly follow on it's hills to fully capitalize off it's sucess. If Conan is a flop, not so much, but either way I'd predict a US blu-ray/dvd by Christmas.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.

#2305 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

*pressing thumbs* :)

The words "from the creator of Conan" is definitely going to be a bigger pusher once Conan The Barbarian 2011 has been a success, that much is for sure. I also would say Kane is the perfect autumn movie, with it's gloominess and dark atmosphere. Maybe Lionsgate will pick it up and give it a broad release? That would bring in the money within mere two weeks on that huge market.

Well... one can dream.
Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#2306 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:59 AM

If I was a Lionsgate honcho, I could see some practical plusses here. (This is all dependent on "Conan" becoming a huge hit, of course. All bets are off if it tanks.) That late in August, of course, I don't think "Conan" is going to do "Captain America" numbers, but let's say it does really well. As far as we know, "Kane" does not have an American distributorship, yet, so they could probably pick it up at a very reasonable price that would guarantee a profit even if it only does so so. It already has an 84% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so they don't have to worry about it undercutting whatever critical praise "Conan" may receive (not much from the mainstream critics, I am thinking). The theater chains are usually hurting for promising product in the fall leading up to the big Christmas releases, and there are very often some holes in the release schedule that a film billed as "From the Creator of Conan" could fill. The sooner they get it into the theaters after CtB the better. Yea, it's a stretch. Hey, I can dream, too.

#2307 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:15 AM

Hmm, looks like Solomon Kane finally picked up a U.S. distributor. I wonder how much the impending release of Conan the Barbarian had to do with one finally showing some interest?

a lot no doubt

#2308 ghost of '82

ghost of '82

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:09 PM

I hope it's not all too late though. What's the chances of any sequel keeping the same creative team as the first movie so long after the film originally came out? Isn't there a danger everyone has moved on to better things?
Tempus Fugit!

#2309 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:01 AM

Good question. In this case, I think that if by some miracle a "Kane" sequel became a possibility, the creative team is very much still available. Michael Bassett has said he would be thrilled to do another film. I would bet Paul Berrow, who loves the character, would be more than willing to produce again. James Purefoy's works steady, but has said he would certainly be back if there was the opportunity to continue the character. The thing is, even if "Kane" were to get an American distribution due to "Conan" doing "Captain America" numbers, "Kane" would have to rack up a huge box office to earn this very different sort of genre flick a second shot. Perhaps if we all wish on a Wandering Star.

#2310 ghost of '82

ghost of '82

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

I find it very frustrating how the film industry seems to work these days. It's not as if a Kane sequel would need to have a very large budget, and in these days of ancillary markets like PPV, DVD/Bluray retail/rental, cable/satellite movie channels as well as the bog-standard theatrical release... I'd have thought it would be a no-brainer. It's not as if theatrical is the only revenue stream- compared to the film industry pre-home video, you'd think it would be easier than ever these days. Instead we get formulaic star-driven drivel and $200 million+ 3D junk. Its truly bizarre how it all seems to work. Pity the success of stuff like Game of Thrones on HBO couldn't get interest in continuing Kane as a prestige 10-part mini series like that. That might work better than an actual movie, as it could source a few REH stories in one go.

Edited by ghost of '82, 30 July 2011 - 12:30 PM.

Tempus Fugit!

#2311 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

Well, ghost, I have expressed very similar views in some of the earlier discussions. Might as well express them again. I was driving past the old Blockbuster video store from which I used to rent at least a couple of films a week. Empty and deserted now that Blockbuster has gone bankrupt. Couldn't compete with Netflix and those little Red Box video dispensers. That empty store just emphasized to me how quickly and how much the film distribution patterns have changed in the States. "Solomon Kane" probably would have made a modest profit ten years ago, but it was completed at the very time the studios and theater chains in America had decided to get out of the independent film business. Almost all the major studios have eliminated their small production companies that had previously specialized in making the modest, classy films like those Merchant-Ivory costume dramas or importing overseas hits like the recent "13 Assassins." Instead of marketing foreign films like "Let the Right One In" or "Oldboy," American companies feel they have to re-make them with American actors and locations to get the teenagers into the theaters. And that's really what its all about. Giving the kids what they want.

A big problem for "Solomon Kane" was that it was set in a historical period (although it was certainly an unrealistic interpretation of Elizabethan England). The chance of an independently produced European historical epic or a fantasy film set within a historical time period getting a wide theater release in the States is almost non-existent these days. Films like "Centurion," "The Black Death," "The Eagle," and "Ironclad" all got the bum's rush from the American distributors. If "Solomon Kane" ever sees the dark of an American theater, it will owe it's good fortune to the "Conan" flick, not to its own excellence.

The question is why have the studios given up on smaller action and adventure films with fantasy or historical theme? Simple. The kids won't go see them. We can beat our breasts and point out proudly how our own kids go see them, but forum members do not represent the larger bulk of the American public or their ever-narrowing interests. American teens have been raised on MTV, the Cartoon Network, and video games. They like action flicks, but action flicks with contemporary themes that they relate to and feel comfortable with because they have seen them on the TV. They watch the same formulaic slasher flicks and superhero films over and over again because they understand them and they reflect their very narrow areas of interest.

There is a reason fantasy films have very young leads, feature contemporary sounding dialog, modern hair styles and New Age musical scores. The average age of an American theater goer is now 15. American teens annually list history as their least favorite subject. Studies have shown that most of them could not find Europe on a map or identify which countries Americans fought in World War II. Producers are not going to make films with themes that the kids don't like. They are the ticket buyers. Ironically, the advantage of a totally invented fantasy world like the Hyborian age is that film makers can re-imagine it to suit today's audiences without having to worry about all those politically-incorrect realities faced by a fantasy film set in a historical period.

Now one can argue whether this is the chicken or the egg. Hollywood doesn't make quality historically-based films because no one wants to see them. Or, audiences don't develop an interest in historically set films because Hollywood won't make them. I hate to admit it, but the studio honchos have the better argument. Steven Spielberg is probably going to turn out a great film about Abraham Lincoln, but the teens are going to avoid it like the plague or, dare I say it, "The Black Death."

#2312 ghost of '82

ghost of '82

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

Now you've got me depressed! No wonder I don't go to the cinema anymore. It's a terrible state for the industry to be in. Sounds like Conan is doomed no matter how good/bad it might be, and Kane therefore doomed to obscurity over there in the US.

I had to search high and low to see Mallick's Tree Of Life over here in the UK a few weeks ago so the problems aren't just with the American market. Multiplexes here are happy to utilise four screens showing rubbish like Transformers in 3D rather than show more different movies.

It's a great pity that foreign markets/territories cannot be sufficient to make films like Kane more viable (or maybe they are, it just seems that any Kane sequel seems to have hinged on money from the American market). I'm counfounded by all this. Really, with digital film making and cgi being ever more affordable (genre tv shows have outstripped cinema material for years now so budgets shouldn't really be as limiting a factor as it may once have been) we should be seeing many low-budget but interesting movies now, but obviously it isn't working out that way. Why does everything have to be $200 million+ budgets and zero intelligence? Why so many superhero and videogame capers? There's a film based on the Battleships boardgame out now for goodness sake. The world's gone mad! Inception made a lot of money so surely there's a proven market for intelligent stuff.

I'd love to see someone like Ridley Scott shoot a movie of Worms Of The Earth fairly low-budget with an aim to scare people shitless as he did with Alien and intends his upcoming Prometheus. It really needs someone to create a stir with something like that rather than crank out another Sword & Sorcery romp like Conan. Really give REH a push in the cinema. God knows many Philip K Dick-based movies have been poor but at least they keep on getting made, and after Avatar I'd have thought Almuric would have been a no-brainer. Agh it's so depressing. At least with the efforts of Del Rey and the REHFP we have the books in print.
Tempus Fugit!

#2313 norse_sage

norse_sage

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, it is a sorry state of things indeed.

The future of Solomon Kane rides on the success of Conan, which is far from given.
I was searching around the internet to see if I could find some tracking numbers or early indication of how it might fare.

The estimate I found pegged it at flopping hard with a 55 mill domestic gross at the low end, and modest hit with Expendables like numbers at the high end.
Captain America numbers aren't on the table, sorry about that.

If the movie is even going to achieve those Expendables numbers, LGF needs to step up their game. A new 2.30 min theatrical trailer might be an idea.

If Conan tanks, and it might very well do that, not only can we kiss Conan 2 goodbye, but also any more Solomon Kane movies, let alone any other REH properties.

#2314 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

I noticed that Thor has moved towards a half billion dollars gross worldwide...not bad

There is a tremendous market for film these days. A quality film like Solomon Kane is certainly a wonderful asset to hold for any company...so take heart!!

Edited by TheMIrrorThief, 03 August 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#2315 Crawley

Crawley

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

Yeah, it is a sorry state of things indeed.

The future of Solomon Kane rides on the success of Conan, which is far from given.
I was searching around the internet to see if I could find some tracking numbers or early indication of how it might fare.

The estimate I found pegged it at flopping hard with a 55 mill domestic gross at the low end, and modest hit with Expendables like numbers at the high end.
Captain America numbers aren't on the table, sorry about that.

If the movie is even going to achieve those Expendables numbers, LGF needs to step up their game. A new 2.30 min theatrical trailer might be an idea.

If Conan tanks, and it might very well do that, not only can we kiss Conan 2 goodbye, but also any more Solomon Kane movies, let alone any other REH properties.

Would be nice to see REH's properties in public domain where people who actually cared and read REH's work would be given the chance to produce an honest and true version. Lovecraft's works are public, granted you get some poor stuff I'm not going to deny that as you do with any type of genre or icon be it Cthulhu or zombies, but when people are producing material based on their respect for that particular writer instead of profit I have no problem I don't have to read it if I don't want to. Also Lovecraft and Howard and the other Weird Tales writers all encouraged one another and also those aspiring writers who were following in their footsteps to "borrow" from each other and they did this out of their love of their craft not so they could make millions off some new action figure.

Edited by Crawley, 04 August 2011 - 06:33 AM.

Ookla...he's like a Wookie on too much black lotus!

#2316 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:03 AM

I appreciate your interest and comments, gentlemen. Got to keep hope alive. I have been championing "Solomon Kane" for about two years now. Like you, I still haven't given up, though I have gained some real insights into what Jim Bowie might have said to Davy Crockett at the Alamo to keep up his morale. I still search the net on a nightly basis (well, almost nightly) looking for any rays of sunshine that might seep through the floorboards. As I said earlier, all the original participants are still around and have retained their fondness for the film, so I believe they would jump at a chance to take another shot at it. If that chance was to miraculously occur.

Cruising the net, I quite often run across comments on some of the fansites in which the posters express some confusion as to the status of this film. Very often they have heard of it, and have an idea it had an European distribution, but wonder why it never hit the States. Our old friend Wandering Star could probably provide an update, but he has been riding this roller coaster for so long, he probably doesn't want to discuss another ticket purchase until the ride actually starts up the tracks.

All I can say is I was lucky enough to get a DVD of the film and have enjoyed it a number of times. I think it is the best S&S film made since the original "Conan." Notice I said S&S and not the broader fantasy category. As you have pointed out, a massive success by the "Conan" film might trigger a Stateside distribution, but even that eventuality may come too late. Well, we'll always have the stories.

Edited by crossplain pilgrim, 08 August 2011 - 12:41 AM.

#2317 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Would be nice to see REH's properties in public domain where people who actually cared and read REH's work would be given the chance to produce an honest and true version. Lovecraft's works are public, granted you get some poor stuff I'm not going to deny that as you do with any type of genre or icon be it Cthulhu or zombies, but when people are producing material based on their respect for that particular writer instead of profit I have no problem I don't have to read it if I don't want to. Also Lovecraft and Howard and the other Weird Tales writers all encouraged one another and also those aspiring writers who were following in their footsteps to "borrow" from each other and they did this out of their love of their craft not so they could make millions off some new action figure.

...because just the fact that the work is "public domain" doesn't mean that making a film is easy. Even low budget films like "Re-Animator" and "Dagon" cost millions to produce. Millions. And unless you have that kind of disposal income to throw towards your dream REH project, you have to get investers...investers who will insist on having a say in what goes into the film so that they'll have a return on their investment. That's why just about every decent Lovecraft film nevertheless contains a lurid sex scene even though I can't think of a single HPL story that contains one. It's funny how when people talk about the Solomon Kane or new Conan film they accuse the filmakers of "selling out" and "not caring" about REH, as if they were given a blank check and told to do whatever they like with it. If anyone can cite even one institution where investments work that way, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by amsterdamaged, 04 August 2011 - 12:14 PM.

Posted Image

#2318 ThuleanWarrior

ThuleanWarrior

Wasteland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

I haven't seen the second HPL Historical Society film yet but the first one was awesome. REH adaptions along those lines would be nice to have.

#2319 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

Wow.

I still can't believe this has not been officially released in the US. The creator was a US Citizen! Crazy.

I will fully support it once it does/if ever make it here.

I have watched the film several times and really enjoy it.
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#2320 Crawley

Crawley

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

...because just the fact that the work is "public domain" doesn't mean that making a film is easy. Even low budget films like "Re-Animator" and "Dagon" cost millions to produce. Millions. And unless you have that kind of disposal income to throw towards your dream REH project, you have to get investers...investers who will insist on having a say in what goes into the film so that they'll have a return on their investment. That's why just about every decent Lovecraft film nevertheless contains a lurid sex scene even though I can't think of a single HPL story that contains one. It's funny how when people talk about the Solomon Kane or new Conan film they accuse the filmakers of "selling out" and "not caring" about REH, as if they were given a blank check and told to do whatever they like with it. If anyone can cite even one institution where investments work that way, I'd love to hear it.

The HPL Historical Society did Cthulhu without it containing sex and gore and made it faithful on a low budget. If you look at Stuart Gordon's films, even the ones that are not based on HPL they all pretty much contain over the top gore and sex, I think it's more his style than to do with budget especially when you consider how much he spent on bloody special effects which weren't even in the books. But he did give us Jeffrey Combs so God Bless Him! Actually Re-animator cost only 1 mill to make, not millions. If I recall didn't Kevin Smith blow off studio execs when they wanted him to direct a Superman film because the execs wanted him to somehow write in a giant spider attacking the fortress of solitude or something along those lines?
Ookla...he's like a Wookie on too much black lotus!