#2321 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:18 AM

Hello all,
This has probably been discussed before now and this preview has probably been seen. But not by me. Great trailer or scene! I heard the movie was not even released in the U.S.. I want to see it now after watching that!! Looked good!
Freebooter
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#2322 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:03 AM

You can get the DVD by Amazon. It's worthy of our support!

#2323 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

You can get the DVD by Amazon. It's worthy of our support!

Yep, I am going to order it!! But if true, why o why was it not released in theaters here?

Kortoso, I might have asked you this before. But who holds the rights to the literary works of REH, Conan, etc.. I mean, those short stories I have written are set in Conan's era or world, and the charactor is his nephew and Conan is only mentioned here and there, but countries and cities are two. Would that be a violation of copyright laws and if so who do I get permission from. I read about a lawsuit a comic book company owner has going claiming he is sueiing the movie maker of Conan because he is sole owner of the rights. But I thought it was someone else. Thanks for any advice or info!
FB

Edited by Freebooter, 29 August 2011 - 05:23 AM.

What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#2324 norse_sage

norse_sage

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

Anyone know what is going on with SK's domestic distribution now that we know "Conan the Barbarian" (2011) bombed hardcore and poisoned the franchise?

#2325 Arcadian

Arcadian

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:08 AM

Anyone know what is going on with SK's domestic distribution now that we know "Conan the Barbarian" (2011) bombed hardcore and poisoned the franchise?

You know I happened to see a mention at a non-Howard site yesterday that SK was being released in theatres this February/March, with a link to this site. That looks to me like a movie promotion site that might have been around for over a year. I'm skeptical. Anyone else?

#2326 norse_sage

norse_sage

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

You know I happened to see a mention at a non-Howard site yesterday that SK was being released in theatres this February/March, with a link to this site. That looks to me like a movie promotion site that might have been around for over a year. I'm skeptical. Anyone else?

Looks like it refers to the mainland Europe opening of February/March 2010.

#2327 Arcadian

Arcadian

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

Looks like it refers to the mainland Europe opening of February/March 2010.

Sadly, that sounds right. I was hopin' someone might tell me otherwise.

#2328 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

watched it yesterday (torent is witchy's friend)

it has some nice fight scenes & special effects,
and the story ain't so bad

but i must admit i know next to nothing about Solomon Kane
i only read a few Dark horse comics about him
"today the blood of battle upon my weapons will never dry
many i'll send into the ground, laughing as they die"

#2329 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

Hey, witchfire. Always appreciate kind words about my favorite REH inspired film. I am thinking that with the disappointing showing of "Conan the Barbarian" at the box office, the producers of "Solomon Kane" will now take any sort of distribution deal they can get. I expect "Kane" will show up on US DVD and Netflix this fall. Good news for viewers, if not so great news for the producers. "Kane," like too many other excellent English and other foreign-made films continue to get the cold shoulder from American distributors.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#2330 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

The hope of any significant release of "Solomon Kane" remains for the time being pretty dim. Here's a recent comment from Michael J. Bassett from his blog.

"I was sent a note from someone saying that Solomon Kane is available as a download through Netflix. Sadly this does not appear to be true – at least from Netflix in Canada where I am right now. Solomon Kane remains unavailable in North America for what I now understand are stupid legal reasons that I can’t share…Maybe they’ll get sorted, maybe not. (BTW, if it is available on Neflix USA – can someone tell me.)….but this article from Salon.com feels like a small vindication."
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#2331 Aza

Aza

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:54 AM

Howdy folks I watched it in segments on You Tube the other night so that might be an option. Not bad considering this was a first attempt. But don't have your expectations too high...you might be a little disapointed.

Ciao,

#2332 icarus

icarus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

I bought the region 0 version from Amazon.com. I thought it was a good movie, though it did take some liberties as far as Solomon Kane's origin. Also, there were only a few times in the film that I really got the 'puritan' vibe. Mostly it seemed like he had more of a 'pirate' type vibe.

The quality of the copy was a little less than I expected. The picture seemed a little fuzzy in parts and was high-definition in no-way. The pacing of the fight scenes seemed too rushed, there were so many shot that lasted under 1 second that it made me kind of dizzy in parts.

Aside from these criticisms though, I enjoyed the film and highly recommend picking up a copy. I think I got mine for like $9.

#2333 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Howdy folks I watched it in segments on You Tube the other night so that might be an option. Not bad considering this was a first attempt. But don't have your expectations too high...you might be a little disapointed.

Ciao,

As a REH fan, my preference would to have everyone buy the movie if possible. The more money it makes, the more we can expect such efforts will be encouraged. :)

#2334 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

I bought the region 0 version from Amazon.com. I thought it was a good movie, though it did take some liberties as far as Solomon Kane's origin. Also, there were only a few times in the film that I really got the 'puritan' vibe. Mostly it seemed like he had more of a 'pirate' type vibe.

The quality of the copy was a little less than I expected. The picture seemed a little fuzzy in parts and was high-definition in no-way. The pacing of the fight scenes seemed too rushed, there were so many shot that lasted under 1 second that it made me kind of dizzy in parts.

Aside from these criticisms though, I enjoyed the film and highly recommend picking up a copy. I think I got mine for like $9.

What is a region 0 version? Will that play on ordinary commercial DVD players?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#2335 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

What is a region 0 version? Will that play on ordinary commercial DVD players?

It'll play on any player, regardless of region.

#2336 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thank you. I will be ordering that.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#2337 icarus

icarus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B00425R930
No special features or any bells and whistles.

#2338 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Thanks anyway.. I'll be checking back there periodically.

#2339 duaneshadow

duaneshadow

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

have a look online for dvd hack codes. you can unlock almost any dvd player to play any disc, any region,
'why does he have to be a misfit? Why can't he be handsome and kind?'

'You're still a dreamer girl'.

#2340 icarus

icarus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Thanks anyway.. I'll be checking back there periodically.

Shoot. I noticed that right after I posted the link. Just one more reason for the North American theatrical release of this movie ;)