• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:15 AM

Solomon Kane will be one of the comics featured in Dark Horse's All-Howard tribute online at MySpace Dark Horse Presents #11, available to view June 1st, 2008.

June will be a huge Robert E. Howard month. We've been working with our friends at MySpace to bring Dark Horse Presents-our online monthly anthology series-to the site every month, and I've been asked to edit MySpace Dark Horse Presents #11, an all-Howard offering.

The above-mentioned Solomon Kane story will be your first chance to see what that series team will deliver. Jim and Ruth Keegan (the nicest couple in comics and illustration) are working on their contribution-a four-tier Two-Gun Bob episode, and they will be creating Two-Gun Bob strips for every issue of every REH comic book that we do from here on out! I enjoy their tasty, anecdotal, deceptively minimal strips so much, I'm eager to see what they do with the longer Two-Gun Bob episode they have planned for MDHP #11. We'll have an eight-page Conan story, written by Timothy and Ben Truman and illustrated by newcomer Marian Churchland, who we found on MySpace. Our last team is headed by writer Joe Casey, who was keen on telling a Sailor Steve Costigan story. Steve Costigan, a character Joe's been a longtime fan of, will be making his second Dark Horse Comics appearance in Joe's "New Game for Costigan" adaptation (sort of . . . see Conan #37's nod to this Howard roughneck). Dark Horse veteran Pop Mhan (SpyBoy, Blank, Batgirl) will be unleashing a new, realistic art style for this short story, with my man Jos? Villarrubia stepping in to color this punchy, humorous romp.

Here's the full articile:
From the Editor - Philip Simon

And here's the link to the Dark Horse page on MySpace:
Dark Horse Presents

B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#22 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

Check it out at
http://www.myspace.c...rkhorsepresents

I think any fear's about Allie's interpretation of REH's Solomon Kane should be put to rest by this. And it looks to be a good preview of what we can expect of the upcoming series.
scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#23 Cormac

Cormac

Heathen Jackal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:29 PM

Wow. That artwork is...ideal. I can hardly think of a more appropriate style for the grim, ghostly world of Kane. Nice short story too, very economical in the use of panels and pages. I'm sold.
"His time was past," The Gael said. Perhaps he saw that too. But we'll carry his body to his people and tell them he died a hero, surrounded by slaughtered Picts." -Tigers of the Sea, REH

#24 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

I liked it!

#25 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:38 AM

Very nice start by the Solomon Kane crew. I'm sold on the art by Mario - very solid . Allie wasn't as clear as he could've with the flow of the story but altogether it was an interesting piece. Dave Stewart just continues to blow me away with his limitless talent. Even for a free comic the guy just knows one gear - balls to the wall. What a talented artist.

I've read two stories before this by Scott Allie and both involved these last page reveals. He seems to really like that style and it reminds me of an old school approach that he makes work. I'm looking forward to Allie's effort on a longer five issues adaptation.

Very cool tribute by Dark Horse to Howard during his month! B)

#26 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

Check it out at
http://westfieldcomi...U=1214942067921

Artist Mario Guevara seems to be a real find. While the art is often rough, it also often does have good detail, world-building, and expressiveness. It evokes an atmosphere that IMO fits very well with REH's vision of SK.
scott tilson.
--------------------

#27 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the link sat. One 5 issue mini-series a year for both Kull and Solomon Kane? First I have heard about that. Hard to build a base beyond us fanatics with a schedule like that. I really want to read each issue but with a schedule like that the trade book option looks very attractive....

Then again John's covers and Jim & Ruth's Howard comic strips are huge selling points. B)

#28 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

I'm looking at probably doing one Kane mini-series and one Kull mini-series per year.

I am actually really cool with this. I don't think Kull or Solomon Kane have enough pull to warrant monthly series. But one miniseries a year is a great idea and will probably keep it around longer!

:)

Edited by Hyborian Frog, 02 July 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#29 Jason A.

Jason A.

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

I think Dark Horse has the right idea here as well. They are trying very hard to stick to the quality over quantity point of view in regards to REH's characters.

They put out the monthly Conan comic for a few years and while at the start they did put out mini's and one-shots, they spread it out more as the monthly got going. Most of what they put out was pretty good too. Especially Midnight God and Songs of the Dead (IMO).

I am anxiously awaiting the Kull and Kane mini's and hope they get around to adapting more of their stories in the future. I think Solomon Kane is a breakout character just waiting for his big chance. With the movie coming out hopefully the next few years are going to be good for him.

Kull I think will be a much tougher sell, as he's so close to Conan.

Oh and I'm glad I read this article, I visited the myspacecomics site for DarkHorse and they have an online "issue" (#11) of all Howard based comics.

Edited by Jason A., 03 July 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Pulp Crazy - http://pulpcrazy.com

#30 Guest_tbrittreid_*

Guest_tbrittreid_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

Oh and I'm glad I read this article, I visited the myspacecomics site for DarkHorse and they have an online "issue" (#11) of all Howard based comics.

Don't get ther wrong idea, people; he means that all the comic stories in that issue are Howard-based, not that all Howard-based comics are discussed, listed, whatever. Which is what I thought until I got there.

#31 Jason A.

Jason A.

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:38 PM

That's why I said "of all Howard based comics" not "on all Howard based comics"

Pulp Crazy - http://pulpcrazy.com

#32 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:07 PM

The Pulse is all over REH's characters! New interview with Scott Allie on the upcoming SK mini - with more art!

Allie Tackles Howard's Soloman Kane

B)

#33 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

Scott Allie to make special appearances in Portland and Tacoma!
Tacoma, Washington?s Comic Book Ink will host Independents Day III on Sunday, October 26th at 2:00pm!

This year?s event will feature a Q&A and Signing from:

Dark Horse Comics Editor & Author Scott Allie (Devil?s Footprints, The Fog, Solomon Kane)

Dave Stewart (The Umbrella Academy, Solomon Kane, Conan)

Todd Herman (Goon Noir, Cut, The Fog)

Darrell Riche (Harry Potter, Start Wars, Magic the Gathering, World of Warcraft)

Walter O?Neil (painter)

And Carolyn Main (independent artist).

Independents Day III is the celebration of the comic book industry?s independent creative spirit! So be sure to come by and show your support of some of the best talent in the field.

"We started Independents Day three years ago with four great creators," said store-owner, John Munn, "We expanded it to five last year, and are hoping for even more for this year! We created this event to celebrate the artists and writers who are working outside of the established realm of well known characters, like Spider-Man and Batman, in order to forge original content based on their own work or seldom used characters. This is a very special event that is close to our hearts as we are the oldest independent comic shop in Tacoma . . . and we are going to be celebrating our store's Sixth Anniversary on the same weekend!"

He'll never come to Motown. Wuss. ;) :D

#34 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:01 AM

He'll never come to Motown. Wuss. ;) :D

Yeah , none of the bigshots seem to visit the MotorCity Comic-Con , even tho it's the 3rd largest in the country ! We're no longer the 'murder capitol' , honest Injun !! Hell , me & 3 of my brothers are some of the best known bouncers & bodyguards in Detroit & all it's suburbs , so guaranteed security & safe-passage . After the convention we'd give them a warm motown welcome & 'jump-them into' the gang , after walking the gauntlet we'd drag 'em out on the town - get 'em screwed , black& blued , & tattooed , shaken , not stirred & 'med-evac-ed' out for home ! :D
Oh , it'll change the Conan comics immensely afterwards !!

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 22 October 2008 - 09:04 AM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#35 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

Just an FYI - all the Kull & Solomon Kane comics/books are part of the Dark Horse Conan Zone on Darkhorse.com:

www.darkhorse.com/Zones/Conan

Now ya know! B)

#36 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:20 AM

Thanks, Strom. Bookmarked it.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#37 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:47 AM

From the Editor
Mario Guevara, Artist
Remembering a Master
Updated: 06/04/2009

We?re handing over this month?s Robert E. Howard/Conan Zone missive to Solomon Kane artist Mario Guevara. Along with writer Scott Allie and colorist Dave Stewart, Mario helped define Solomon?s modern comic-book incarnation at Dark Horse, and Mario will be continuing to illustrate the adventures of Howard?s moody hero in our next series, Solomon Kane: Death?s Black Riders. Mario?s planning to attend this year?s San Diego Comic-Con, and while we have no announcements yet, you can be sure that he?ll be involved in something at the Dark Horse booth. Keep checking here for announcements!

When Philip Simon, editor of the Conan the Cimmerian series for Dark Horse, wrote to me after I gave my e-mail and art samples to Chris Warner [another Dark Horse editor], he told me about the possible publication of a Solomon Kane series -- another character created by Robert E. Howard -- and that he was interested in having me try out for it. I instantly thought it would be my dream project -- the chance of a lifetime! When he asked me for samples, I thought it was fantastic -- here was my chance. He sent me a short, three-page script and asked me to pencil the sequence.

I knew it would be hard to get the job, but I remembered some words that my father (who lived several years in the United States) used to say: "When someone asks you if you want to work, say yes. When someone asks you if you can do it, say yes. Even if you're not sure if you can do it, you'll figure out a way to pull it off."

I also recalled some other words -- those of the great Alfredo Alcala, who I met at the San Diego Comic-Con in 1997: "In order to work in the U.S., you have to be as honest and considerate as you can if you want to be at the same level as the best in the world, to put yourself in a parallel line with them, so they can see that you're capable of making it."

Keeping in mind that there would be a lot of us fighting for the job and that everyone was very talented, I drew the three pages of the script as fast and as good as I could in two days.

When Philip replied that I had the job, I thought: "Now I'll have to find a way to pull it off!"

It was difficult at the beginning, due to my lack of English and even the small fear of ruining those beautiful, blank art board pages that were being sent from Dark Horse for me to work on. But later, with the help of my translators, Lane and Natalia, plus our writer Scott's big support by drawing page layouts of entire issues of the Solomon comic, things started to turn out well.

Patrick Thorpe, Philip's assistant, provided essential help for me. Dave Stewart worked hard also -- nice and fast -- since we were delayed sometimes by pages having to travel from Mexico up to Milwaukie, Oregon.

All of this wouldn't have been possible without the comprehension and skills of my editor, Philip Simon. When I was working hard to finish the series and Philip sent an image of Mike Mignola's cover to our trade collection -- to summarize everything, I thought, ?Now I can peacefully die.?

My father also said that people come into the world just to accomplish three things: Plant a tree (I've done it), have a child (I've done it), and write a book (I've drawn one). Now all of it was complete . . . so I?d like to dedicate my work on our first Solomon Kane series to the memory of my father, Jose Guevara Centeno (World War II veteran).

As mentioned above, another great influence on my life and work was the singular talent of Alfredo Alcala. I was fortunate enough to meet my idol a few times. It was my third trip in a row to the San Diego Comic-Con, though, that I spoke with him for the last time. I casually walked by Phillip Yha's table, after I saw that Alfredo Alcala?s German friend (who was always with Alcala) was there, too. I walked up close and asked where the master was. The answer was a hand signal, telling me that he was asleep.

Asleep?

Suddenly, someone came out from under the table. He was sleeping right there! He recognized me even though it had been over a year since we?d seen each other, and he asked me that same old question: ?How?s Saturnino Herran?? I gave him that same old answer: ?He passed away, master.? ?What a shame.? Alcala reminded me of his time in the Philippines when they took him to all the art workshops.

I wanted to go outside and smoke a cigarette, so he came with me. He understood Spanish very well but had a bit of a hard time speaking it. ?Americans can?t pronounce my name very well,? I said. And while we were walking outside the building he replied: ?When you work in the U.S., you will have to change your name.?

?Hmmm . . . what should I call myself?? I asked.

?Well, SEATEEN sounds good,? he said -- and then he explained to me what it meant and started laughing loudly. I knew he was just kidding.

I kept smoking my cigarette, and we walked over the railroad tracks and down the street until we found a 7-Eleven type store. I told him I?d buy him something, and the only thing he wanted was a cold bun with sausages in it. I picked the same thing, and I only had money left for one soda, so we shared it. I sat down on the curb, there wasn?t sidewalk space around, but I didn?t mind. Alfredo kneeled in an unusual position that reminded me of the way my grandfather and the people at our ranch in my hometown would kneel.

We finished our snacks, and I offered him some soda. I asked him to tell me more about the Philippines, so he started talking about his childhood when he lived on an island close to Formosa and it was invaded by the Japanese.

?So you were in the war, master?? I asked.

?I was very young. I just helped a little,? he replied, ?One day an American man came up to me and asked if I wanted to help my country, and I told him I did. So when the Japanese buried land mines I would watch where they did it, remember the spots, and then run to the Americans and draw the location of each mine. I did that for a while, but one day my mom discovered what I was doing and beat me all the way into the house. I supposed that she hit me because I was putting myself in danger, but I think she only did it because she thought I was being mischievous.?

People passed by and looked at us as if we were bums. They didn?t know that I was talking with Alfredo Alcala, one of the best Filipino artists and the best inker for John Buscema?s Conan work. If they had known that, they would have probably sat down on the ground as I did to listen to what he had to say.

While Alfredo was talking, he was drawing a sketch for me. Someone approached, a very well-dressed blonde guy, and he sat by my side. After that, someone else joined us. The soda didn?t seem to finish, and I started smoking another cigarette. When I finished it I stood up, and my butt was numb. I told the master that I had to go.

I went back to the Convention Center, and as I did, I kept looking back at the people who continued sitting and queuing around him. That was the last time I saw Alfredo. He died two years later.

Not many people had that honor of listening to the master while sitting on the street and smoking a cigarette. Those are the kinds of things you never forget. I am sure that when I die, we?ll meet again. And with that smile of his, he will ask: ?How?s Saturnino Herran??

--Mario Guevara, Penjamo, Mexico

www.darkhorse.com/Zones/Conan

Very touching and inspirational message Mario! What a great opportunity you earned - and then made the most of. I enjoyed your art and it is very good to know you will continue as the Solomon Kane artist. B)

#38 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

It's great to see such respect for Alcala, one of my fav artists, who did so much amazing work on the SSOC.

Though he did some KULL work, I don't think Alfredo ever did draw Solomon Kane ... that I remember, or can find online. But the closest thing I can find is another classic adventurer:
Posted Image
More at http://www.comicartf...s...&GSub=49867
scott tilson.
--------------------

#39 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

I hope MWK is actually allowed to do some (more) REH artwork for DH. Posted Image

Maybe. The editor is trying.
From http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=15866
"John [Cassaday]'s doing the "Solomon Kane" covers, rounding out the Howard trio of books. I was in New York with him recently, and I told him I was writing the book. We were at a bar with Michael Kaluta -- who we also want to get to do some more on these books."

Has anybody heard anything more about Mike Kaluta doing some Solomon Kane art for DHC? Posted Image

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#40 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

I'll buy this when it comes out and hope it's good. Any comments? Thanks.

http://www.newsarama...t=dh_news_146b1

Posted Image
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)