58 replies to this topic

#41 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

I'll buy this when it comes out and hope it's good. Any comments? Thanks.

http://www.newsarama...t=dh_news_146b1

Posted Image

Still not getting why they're doing Skulls In The Stars in the same mini with Red Shadows, even though it seems they're not going to be mixing them together like they did with Death's Black Riders and Rattle of Bones. I think it probably would've been better to do a separate Torkertown mini with SitS and Right Hand of Doom, but do it after Red Shadows. They definitely needed to do RS to revitalize the series. We'll see soon enough how the new team does.

#42 TheLordCrom

TheLordCrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:38 AM

Posted Image

I'm loving that art right there....
The Lord Crom
Director of the Solomon Kane Fan Film "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville"
My shortfilms: http://www.mystichammer.com/
Crom's Conan Page and SSOC Cover Gallery: http://www.mystichammer.com/conan/

#43 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,255 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:01 AM

Posted Image

Better than a lot we've seen since DHC started doing the Puritan.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#44 TheLordCrom

TheLordCrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:31 AM

Posted Image

Indeed.

In fact, I was talking to the owner of the comic store today about the quality of a lot of the art we've been seeing. It's really all over the place. I've dropped alot of the books on my lists because the art has just gotten so bad. i.e. Thor's series looks like it went right from pencil to bad colorist without any finishing. There were even panels that had artist notes in areas like "add map of asgard here". Its really embarrassing for them.
The Lord Crom

#45 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

Posted Image

Indeed.

In fact, I was talking to the owner of the comic store today about the quality of a lot of the art we've been seeing. It's really all over the place. I've dropped alot of the books on my lists because the art has just gotten so bad. i.e. Thor's series looks like it went right from pencil to bad colorist without any finishing. There were even panels that had artist notes in areas like "add map of asgard here". Its really embarrassing for them.

Lord Crom: I totally agree with you. What's worse is when the cover art is by someone really good and then the artist in the comic is someone different and not at the same skill level as the cover artist. It's very true "You can't judge a book by it's cover." There are some exceptions but there are a lot of comics that aren't worth the value. What really bugs me is when there's a great writer and the artist is just average or bad. I'm like you and like to have both a good writer and good artist.

Going on a sidebar for one moment - My favorite story and artist of all time - Sojourn 1-34 by Cross Gen comics that went bankrupt in 1995 - writer is Ron Marz and artist Greg Land. If you can get ahold of these you'll be very happy! A comic store owner had some original art from Sojourn and I kept asking about it but the dude didn't want to part with it. I don't blame him.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope this Solomon Kane is going to be really good.

Thanks for listening. v/r Richard
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#46 TheLordCrom

TheLordCrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

Crap like this just makes me cringe:
Posted Image

Edited by TheLordCrom, 03 May 2011 - 06:19 PM.

The Lord Crom

#47 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,075 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

GET that guy OFF of Solomon Kane! He makes SK look like Margaret Hamilton.

I asked my comic shop to request an issue with the other cover. If DH does not comply, I will go ahead and buy the ugly one, and improve it by tearing off the execrable cover and mailing it back to DH.

Edited by Ironhand, 04 May 2011 - 07:23 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#48 TheLordCrom

TheLordCrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

GET that guy OFF of Solomon Kane! He makes SK look like Margaret Hamilton.

I asked my comic shop to request an issue with the other cover. If DH does not comply, I will go ahead and buy the ugly one, and improve it by tearing off the execrable cover and mailing it back to DH.

So which cover did you get? I have to swing by the shop tonight and see if they got me the good one like I asked.
The Lord Crom

#49 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:30 AM

Well, it looks like the whole mini series came and went without much notice. For those keeping track the last issue came out today. I have to double check and compare with the original story how it matches up, but I know for sure one thing. The last resting place of Gulka the gorilla slayer is one of the most striking images in the story. Roy & Howie got it right. Ralph and Bret got it right. Bruce and Rahsan...didn't. I don't ask for much, but if the story says the guy gets thrown through the trees before his final end, that doesn't mean you can cut right to the last part. The end notes don't mention another Kane mini (or Kull for that matter), they do mention Phoenix on the Sword. I honestly don't know what they should do next. I guess a combo of Right Hand of Doom and Blue Flame of Vengeance should be next instead of jumping right into Moon of Skulls (t's pretty clear he's leaving Africa at the end of this one, so it'd be odd to put him right back there). The question is are they going to do anything at all?

#50 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

Posted Image

I agree. The new interior artist is pretty darn good and would draw a really great cover. I don't understand why DH would allow a below average artist do the cover and a really good artist to the interiors. It usually works the other way around. When this guy was doing both the cover and interiors it was really difficult for me to stay with the series but I did because of Two Gun Bob and Jim & Ruth.

The guy must be related to someone at DH.
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#51 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:19 AM

Posted Image

I agree. The new interior artist is pretty darn good and would draw a really great cover. I don't understand why DH would allow a below average artist do the cover and a really good artist to the interiors. It usually works the other way around. When this guy was doing both the cover and interiors it was really difficult for me to stay with the series but I did because of Two Gun Bob and Jim & Ruth.

The guy must be related to someone at DH.

The only full story Guy Davis did was that one from the online series that ended up being shoehorned into the Death's Black Riders trade. He and Mario Guevara do have similarities in their styles though and he did design the monsters for all three minis. Ekedal's work was OK and far less stylized than Guevara or Davis, he had a more traditional look that I tend to like more than the others. I don't think the muted coloring helped it in the Red Shadows issues, it was fine in the first issue because it fit that story.

Speaking of TGB, did the last Kull mini have any in them? I passed on it since it had nothing to do with any Howard story.

#52 PFunkJAzz

PFunkJAzz

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:37 AM

Well, it looks like the whole mini series came and went without much notice. For those keeping track the last issue came out today. I have to double check and compare with the original story how it matches up, but I know for sure one thing. The last resting place of Gulka the gorilla slayer is one of the most striking images in the story. Roy & Howie got it right. Ralph and Bret got it right. Bruce and Rahsan...didn't. I don't ask for much, but if the story says the guy gets thrown through the trees before his final end, that doesn't mean you can cut right to the last part. The end notes don't mention another Kane mini (or Kull for that matter), they do mention Phoenix on the Sword. I honestly don't know what they should do next. I guess a combo of Right Hand of Doom and Blue Flame of Vengeance should be next instead of jumping right into Moon of Skulls (t's pretty clear he's leaving Africa at the end of this one, so it'd be odd to put him right back there). The question is are they going to do anything at all?

DH totally mishandled this arc. There were some really great Gregory Manchess covers,
Posted Image
Posted Image

but those were variant covers that reatilers had to mark-up. :unsure: Instead they gave us those Guy Davis covers at regular prices and I just lost interest in the whole damn thing! :(

Edited by PFunkJAzz, 08 July 2011 - 03:37 AM.

#53 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,075 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

I told my comic dealer that I would not accept a SK with a cover by Davis. If I had to take one, I promised I would tear the cover off (thus improving the comic) and send it back to DH. >:P

I would like to incite everyone who bought a Davis cover to do the same.

Edited by Ironhand, 08 July 2011 - 07:58 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#54 TheLordCrom

TheLordCrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

I told my comic dealer that I would not accept a SK with a cover by Davis. If I had to take one, I promised I would tear the cover off (thus improving the comic) and send it back to DH. >:P

The Gregory Manchess covers are works of art IMHO.

But I doubt I will defile any comic by tearing off the cover. Hell, as a kid I never clipped those coupons out either. I just hated destroying my collection.

However, 30 years later, I really need to eliminate some of my long boxes... Anyone want to by some circa 70-80 long boxes of canon heroes? lol
The Lord Crom

#55 PFunkJAzz

PFunkJAzz

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

I've worked on political campaigns where we've received lots of hate mail and disapproval. I can certify such symbolic gestures do absolutely nothing to explain the point you're trying to make. :unsure:

Matter-of-fact, if it doesn't get circular-filed it goes into the "Contact Authoritiies" pile. :o

I'd encourage direct correspondence with the editors and tone down the self-righteous indignation and state your objections in precise, yet eloquent, terms. You stand a better chance of making your point and someone will actually hear you. B)

#56 RahsanEkedal

RahsanEkedal

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hi guys, I came across this forum the other day, and thought I'd pop on to let everyone know that I'm running a sale for another week on my pencil pages from Red Shadows #1-4. Despite the imperfections of that series, I really enjoyed drawing Kane as a character - I've been a fan since childhood of REH's brilliant work, and adapting Skulls in the Stars and Red Shadows was thrilling to say the least. I hope to get another crack at drawing the Puritan soon, and hopefully Conan and Bran Mak Morn at some point, as well.

In any case, I'd be happy if you took a moment to check out my original pencils from the series. They have a very different feel than the finished colored artwork, and there are some pages (and particularly some pinups of Kane) that I think are worth your time.

Everything is posted over at theinteriorpages.com...

Thanks!
Rahsan

#57 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,255 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hi guys, I came across this forum the other day, and thought I'd pop on to let everyone know that I'm running a sale for another week on my pencil pages from Red Shadows #1-4. Despite the imperfections of that series, I really enjoyed drawing Kane as a character - I've been a fan since childhood of REH's brilliant work, and adapting Skulls in the Stars and Red Shadows was thrilling to say the least. I hope to get another crack at drawing the Puritan soon, and hopefully Conan and Bran Mak Morn at some point, as well.

In any case, I'd be happy if you took a moment to check out my original pencils from the series. They have a very different feel than the finished colored artwork, and there are some pages (and particularly some pinups of Kane) that I think are worth your time.

Thanks!
Rahsan

Welcome to the forum, Rahsan! Always good to hear from another long-time REH fan.

I've never seen your artwork. Good stuff on that link. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#58 RahsanEkedal

RahsanEkedal

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thanks, Deuce! Glad to be a new member.

#59 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thanks!
Rahsan

Hi Rahsan, welcome! Inside baseball type question here: in issue #4, was the death of Gulka scripted the way it was presented? Howard's description of his death is particularly memorable and I was disappointed it wasn't depicted closer to the events in the story, up through the trees and all (the end result was the same). Just curious, thanks.