53 replies to this topic

#41 daniel

daniel

victorian raptor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:17 PM

is that woman on the horse liuba? what is she doing awake in daylight, as a vampire?

#42 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:47 PM

is that woman on the horse liuba? what is she doing awake in daylight, as a vampire?

What woman on what horse? :huh:

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#43 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:43 AM

This woman on this horse :)

Queen of the Night.

Tex
(wishing it were a bigger pic)

Edited by Tex, 15 March 2011 - 05:45 AM.

#44 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:59 AM

This woman on this horse :)

Queen of the Night.

Tex
(wishing it were a bigger pic)

That's a horse? It looked like a thoat (or something) to me, so I wasn't sure what Daniel was talking about. Some reference to QotN would've been helpful. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#45 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

That's a horse? It looked like a thoat (or something) to me, so I wasn't sure what Daniel was talking about. Some reference to QotN would've been helpful. :)

10-4 on the thoat. And it didn't help that we shifted to the third page on this topic with Daniel's post.

I'm putting the pic here for future reference.

Posted Image

Tex
(wondering what happened to the original art)

#46 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

Well, finally finished this book, and man, it was awesome! I felt it was better than Road of Kings, and I also liked it a little more than Bloodstone. I have yet to read any of the other Kane tales, but I have them, and will see how they compare.Legion is the best pastiche I've read yet. It captures some of Howard's magic, but is very much in the dark, almost Gothic style of Wagner. Because of the grim nature of the Bran tales, Wagner was no doubt the best writer around to add new tales to the collection. I really hope, somehow, that Queen of the Night exists, and will be published someday! Further, I think it would be great for other authors to try their hands at a Bran tale, or Cormac, or El Borak. There are plenty of tales just waiting to be spun around these great characters, not just about a certain Cimmerian!

#47 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

Well, finally finished this book, and man, it was awesome! I felt it was better than Road of Kings, and I also liked it a little more than Bloodstone. I have yet to read any of the other Kane tales, but I have them, and will see how they compare.

All of Wagner's Kane tales are good, and I like Bloodstone a lot, but my favorite collection is Night Winds, which has a couple unforgettable stories.
And, if you can find it without having to break into Yara's tower, Wagner's horror collection In a Lonely Place seems to me to be one of the finest collections of horror stories since the pulp era. Masterfully constructed and delivered tales that provide serious shivers down the spine.

Alas, if Queen of the Night was extant, even in a partial draft, I think we would have seen it by now.

#48 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

Well, finally finished this book, and man, it was awesome! I felt it was better than Road of Kings, and I also liked it a little more than Bloodstone. I have yet to read any of the other Kane tales, but I have them, and will see how they compare.

All of Wagner's Kane tales are good, and I like Bloodstone a lot, but my favorite collection is Night Winds, which has a couple unforgettable stories.
And, if you can find it without having to break into Yara's tower, Wagner's horror collection In a Lonely Place seems to me to be one of the finest collections of horror stories since the pulp era. Masterfully constructed and delivered tales that provide serious shivers down the spine.

Alas, if Queen of the Night was extant, even in a partial draft, I think we would have seen it by now.

I agree on about all points, Emerald. B)

RoK, while not perfect, is still better than any but (perhaps) one of the Conan novels. Wagner is missed and won't easily be replaced. What sets him apart from "modern-day" writers (I include you with Karl, John), is a knowledge/appreciation of "pulp" writing. The fast pacing, the economy. Also, Wagner, was a scholar of the "pseudo-history" to be found within Howard's (and HPL's and CAS') tales. Without such, evoking a Howardian "feel:" is almost impossible. Ask Harry Turtledove. ;)

#49 EJA

EJA

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

Found this book years ago in a second-hand bookstore, was quite surprised to see it there. Was well worth the read though.

#50 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

Karl Edward Wagner was one hell of great writer. His Kane books are still among my favorite fantasy books. I was hooked from page one. Kane was different. He was absolutely not nice fellow. Manipulative and power hungry he never let anyone or anything stand in the way of Quest for Power and Knowledge. And thats why I like him so much. After I read the last book I went on to read Bran Mak Morn Legions of The Shadow ,Conan road of Kinds , Killer and the horror anthology In a Lonely Place. All terrific reads. Then I kept hoping that he would either resume writing Kane stories or give us a sequel his Bran Mak Morn novel or wrote another Conan novel . Then in 1994 The Elric anthology Elric Tales of The White Wolf came out and in it was was the story A Gothic Touch. Kane meeting Elric of Melnibone I Had hoped that maybe Kane might get to met some of the other incarnations of the Eternal Champion. In particular Erekose.

I was so happy but it was short lived. That was the last Kane story . :(

Edited by Rockamobile, 31 January 2012 - 03:12 AM.

#51 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:16 AM

Well, finally finished this book, and man, it was awesome! I felt it was better than Road of Kings, and I also liked it a little more than Bloodstone. I have yet to read any of the other Kane tales, but I have them, and will see how they compare.Legion is the best pastiche I've read yet. It captures some of Howard's magic, but is very much in the dark, almost Gothic style of Wagner. Because of the grim nature of the Bran tales, Wagner was no doubt the best writer around to add new tales to the collection. I really hope, somehow, that Queen of the Night exists, and will be published someday! Further, I think it would be great for other authors to try their hands at a Bran tale, or Cormac, or El Borak. There are plenty of tales just waiting to be spun around these great characters, not just about a certain Cimmerian!

Your right he was the perfect choice to write Bran Mak Morn . I bet he could have have written a really good Kull Novel.

#52 TheBlueFlame

TheBlueFlame

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

I just got Legion from the Shadows from a used book store a couple of days ago and even though I've only gotten past the first chapter it already reads like some long lost Bran Mak Morn novel of Howard's. The only other thing I've read of Wagner's was that Kane short story of his in that recent Sword and Sorcery anthology. As soon as I'm done with Legion I may have to look into his Kane series.

"I am a landless man." A strange, intangible, almost mystic look flashed into his cold eyes. "I come out of the sunset and into the sunrise I go, wherever the Lord doth guide my feet. I seek... my soul's salvation, mayhap. I came, following the trail of vengeance. Now I must leave you. The dawn is not far away, and I would not have it find me idle. It may be I shall see you no more. My work here is done; the long red trail is ended. The man of blood is dead. But there be other men of blood, and other trails of revenge and retribution. I work the will of God. While evil flourishes and wrongs grow rank, while men are persecuted and women wronged, while weak things, human or animal, are maltreated, there is no rest for me beneath the skies, nor peace at any board or bed. Farewell!"

- Robert E. Howard
The Blue Flame of Vengeance

#53 Element0s

Element0s

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

Spoilers below!

I snatched up Legion from the Shadows early this year and got around to reading it over the past few weeks. I enjoyed it! I thought KEW did a fantastic job of bringing together events, characters, races  from Howard's universe, as well as a cool historical tie-in with the IXth legion. I liked the idea of pitting the untainted bloodline of Serpent Man against Bran's pure-bred Pictish line, lots of heavy stuff in there. After reading Bloodstone I expect many layers of conflict from Wagner's writing, and this was no exception. Strong, evocative writing too. Some of the gruesome parts gave me that nasty feeling in my stomach, which is always a good sign.

One thing I didn't like was how the character of Liuba was handled. I liked the idea of Bran encountering a new strain of pure-blood Picts and finding a potential love interest. Even the idea of a lost queen risen from the dead is cool with me but I just don't think it was very well executed. What little backstory she had seemed extremely rushed at the end. Aside from that complaint, I thought it was quite good. Looking forward to cracking open my copy of Road of Kings now!

Since For the Witch in the Mist was brought up, I'd like to say that I didn't enjoy that one at all. In fact, I never even bothered to finish it. The whole thing felt like a cheesy mess.

Gatekeeper

http://gatekeeper-vinland.blogspot.ca

Epic heavy metal inspired by Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, H.P. Lovecraft and much more.

#54 cromsblood

cromsblood

Blood of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

I read Legion of the Shadows earlier this year myself, and right before Worms of the Earth, and was equally impressed Element0s.  So much so that "Worms" was a bit of a letdown.  I'm not saying that KEW's offering was better, but it was THAT good.