36 replies to this topic

#21 NobleSavage

NobleSavage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

i wish you best of luck in your project..and why not,maybe even an eventual commercialization of the finished work..

#22 NobleSavage

NobleSavage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

""sorry"" to bump like this BUT there is still interest in this project by many good modders

http://www.twcenter....78#post10282878

so please mr.taranaich :) do consider to maybe let someone use your work OR at least some part of it (lets say descriptions etc...who could ever do it better than you?) and bring this mod to life !!!

#23 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,027 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

""sorry"" to bump like this BUT there is still interest in this project by many good modders

http://www.twcenter....78#post10282878

so please mr.taranaich Posted Image do consider to maybe let someone use your work OR at least some part of it (lets say descriptions etc...who could ever do it better than you?) and bring this mod to life !!!

Mr. Harron did some excellent work on that mod,.Myself, I'd love to see something come of it (and NOT because I contributed, to a small extent, in an advisory capacity). However, I think Al's forthcoming Encyclopaedia Hyborica demands first priority.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#24 ollonois

ollonois

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

hey Deuce, that EH is going to be a print book? an ebook? free?
For I am the Bringer of War
I am The Bearer Of The Black Sword
and my name will be known to all
Lord Elric of the Bright Empire of Melnibone
The Dragonlord

Domine-Dragonlord

#25 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

Will the Encyclopædia be a super-elite-collector's-limited-extended edition hardback, or an affordable paperback?

Given the choice, the latter. I'd rather take after Barbara Barrett's Wordbook or Paul Herman's The Neverending Hunt than the lavish, gorgeous tomes A Means to Freedom and Collected Poetry.

More info here:
http://theblogthatti...oriana-faq.html

Edited by Croms Bones, 30 November 2011 - 06:48 PM.

The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#26 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

Will the Encyclopædia be a super-elite-collector's-limited-extended edition hardback, or an affordable paperback?

Given the choice, the latter. I'd rather take after Barbara Barrett's Wordbook or Paul Herman's The Neverending Hunt than the lavish, gorgeous tomes A Means to Freedom and Collected Poetry.

More info here:
http://theblogthatti...oriana-faq.html

The super-elite-collector's-limited-extended edition hardback only makes sense as an expensive alternate for collectors. But you must have an inexpensive mass market version to maximize exposure AND profit.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#27 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Or how about approaching Paradox and offering the book as a service, they could pay him a fair sum of money for. They could then go on and give the contents of it as a Hyboria Bible to all future licensees, a guideline to follow. I am sure many licensees would appreciate having something like that. I know that right now much of the research we do is done by our writers, who jump into the Conan stories and respected pastiche to gather the facts.
Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#28 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

"Hyboria Bible"

I see a big problem. Al's purpose is to stay true to Howard's world-building. If he approached Paradox, Al's guide would probably be edited to include made-up terms never used by REH, like the incorrect (and Paradox-copyrighted) word "Hyboria" that you just used.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#29 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:25 AM

"Hyboria Bible"

I see a big problem. Al's purpose is to stay true to Howard's world-building. If he approached Paradox, Al's guide would probably be edited to include made-up terms never used by REH, like the incorrect (and Paradox-copyrighted) word "Hyboria" that you just used.

That's earth shattering, mindblowing and would explode the whole book if ever used. Yes I totally agree, that would make it completely impossible to ever even approach Paradox and talk about publishing something as important as this. Let's rather keep it in the drawer, lest this horrible error be included and ruin every sense of the book ever existing *role eyes*

It's not the correct term to use, but it's rather understandable for Paradox to use the term, since it has been coined by 30 years of pastiches and is part of 99% of public reports. Just because Paradox has to give the "baby a name" that is useable (and "hyborian age" is not really a name for a world, it's the name for a timespan, which is the only correct term, but hard to sell to ANYONE besides Howard purists, because people wanna know the name of the world) doesn't mean they would necessarily force include it in something like the Encyclopaedia Hyborica.

#30 Axerules

Axerules

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:46 AM

Let's rather keep it in the drawer, lest this horrible error be included and ruin every sense of the book ever existing *role eyes*

You're always so nice and polite, Johannes. <_< If I wasn't a mod, I would tell you what I really think of your 'humorous' diatribes...

By the way, is Al also an obtuse, idiotic purist like me?

Why Encyclopædia Hyboriana instead of Encyclopædia Hyboria?

Hyboria is a pastiche term, and is loaded with all sorts of possible misinterpretations: the idea of the land, or even the planet, being called "Hyboria"; paramount among them. Rather than contribute to any possible misinterpretation, I decided to use a cod-Latin term with the "-a" suffix to give a general feel without using "Hyboria"

So how does it work, Johannes? Al has promised that his guide wouldn't include a single pastiche term. Written by Al, it's cool, but when I express the same opinion, I'm deadly wrong and I deserve sarcasms? :huh: Please explain, I'm probably too dumb to get your reasoning otherwise. Or... is it possible that you might have an 'axe' to grind?

(...) doesn't mean they would necessarily force include it in something like the Encyclopaedia Hyborica.

Not necessarily, but likely. It's quite clear that Paradox is using this incorrect term and wants to impose it everywhere not because the "baby" would need a name that REH forgot to write down (that's rubbish: Conan's world doesn't need a made-up name, since the Hyborian Age is a fictional era of OUR OWN EARTH) but for one single reason: "Hyboria" is a late, invented term still protected by a copyright while "Hyborian Age" or "Thurian continent" appear in PD texts. You're fooling yourself if you think there's another explanation.

I remember very well a statement from Vincent N. Darlage on the Mongoose Board a few years ago about the same issue: he explained us that the term "Hyboria" was IMPOSED in the titles of several RPG books that he authored, against his opinion, because Mongoose had instructions. So it's not like if I was only expressing an irrational purist fear, Waldgeist. Because even if you think that I'm an idiot, it happens that -sometimes- I might know something on the subject at hand. I don't think that Paradox might do it. I know that they did so in the past, so I believe that my apprehension is somewhat legitimate.

Samurai maxim

#31 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

I don't think you're an idiotic purist, I never said you're an idiot purist, I just don't agree with your take on certain topics. There is quite a difference. My sarcasm was so loaded, because I felt your point was just to show off how bad I am (which you tried in the Solomon Kane thread with your attempt to make me look like a clueless pastiche loving fool, that doesn't know his Howard), by even using that term, even though I used it loosely and usually try to use Hyborian Age, whenever possible. You keep on putting words in my mouth, that I don't like purists or think they are ridicolous for wanting to stick to Howards lore and canon. Why do you think taranaich, a fighting purist, took over the conanmovieblog?... but you keep on making your accusations... How very "moderate" of you

There is a big difference btw. in saying that using the term "Hyboria" is wrong and assuming that Paradox would poison the project Al has going, if they got their hands on it. But I see you like to pretend to know and infuse intention, opinion and other things into peoples minds, that they have never said themselves.

As long as you keep on putting words into my mouth, you'll have to live with my sarcasm.

Edited by Waldgeist, 04 December 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#32 Axerules

Axerules

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

I don't think you're an idiotic purist, I never said you're an idiot purist, I just don't agree with your take on certain topics.

Actually, you brought up my purist card on Al's FB page when you ranted about me over there.

There is quite a difference. My sarcasm was so loaded, because I felt your point was just to show off how bad I am

I've expressed an opinion, different from yours.

I don't see anything personal nor insulting in this message. If I did so inadvertedly, it wasn't my intent. But honestly, I don't see how I would have tried to make you look wrong in these lines. It might be a 'stern disagreement' if you will, but when I wrote my post, I didn't think that anyone who's able to read and understand plain English would have seen a personal, loaded attack in it. Except if you consider that contradicting your opinion is insulting in itself, Waldgeist.

(which you tried in the Solomon Kane thread with your attempt to make me look like a clueless pastiche loving fool, that doesn't know his Howard),

That's it. Finally, here we are!

You feel that you're allowed to rant about me and to be impolite because of a two-years-old debate. Wow.

As long as you keep on putting words into my mouth, you'll have to live with my sarcasm.

Putting words into someone's mouth? Apparently, you're a master at this game. A month ago or so, on Al's Facebook page you have invented a statement I've never made to criticize me. I had nothing to do with the subject in the first place -it was about Don Herron- but you felt that you had to drag my name into it, through an outright lie.
And if you really believe that you're allowed to write such nonsense here, you're dead wrong. If you had read and understood the rules -or simply, if you remembered the warning that Strom sent you in March 2010 about your snarky comments- you should already know better: I don't have to live with your sarcasms on this board.

you keep on making your accusations... How very "moderate" of you

I'm trying to avoid flame-wars on the internet whenever possible, especially here where I have some responsabilities. But you, Waldgeist, you keep on attacking me personally, through several different outlets.

Also, you brought up my Mod status: I've never asked for your banishment and I've never edited out one of your posts, despite your insinuations and sarcasms. What should I do, seriously? Because I'm a moderator, I would have to let someone mock me here without even replying to his personal attacks?

I think that my point about "Hyboria" is legitimate. I'm not the only guy on this fine forum who doesn't like the term (see Al's "Hyboria" thread). I really believe that the risk of poisoning the well exists; it happened in the past. I also think that anyone honest (and fluent in English) should see that post #28 wasn't written as an 'attack' against you.

YOU, Waldgeist, felt compelled to write an inflamatory post ONLY because the idea came from ME. It was a personal, unneeded attack. And now you're complaining?

So I'll finally use the status that you keep on bringing up: I'm now talking as a moderator. If you have a complaint, PM me or to an administrator. You know how it works. Don't reply here, any public message about it will be deleted. Any further personal attack will be dealt accordingly.

Samurai maxim

#33 NobleSavage

NobleSavage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

heys guys, ctually from post #23 and on, you're all OFF-TOPIC :P :lol:

#34 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Thank you!

A reminder to ALL who are posting here: Stay on topic, and take your personal affairs off-line.

#35 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,027 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:21 AM

To be precise, things went clearly off-topic with Post #24. I quoted you in Post#23 and gave a reason why HA:TW probably wouldn't be finished anytime soon. I answered your complaint. How is that off-topic? :P

What I did NOT do is post: "Encyclopaedia Hyborica: Discuss". I had no idea that Ollonois (as he often does) would jump in and derail the thread because of a mere mention of the EH. There is now a thread for the EH, so hopefully this won't happen again.

I occasionally do (unintentionally) derail threads, but that wasn't the case here.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#36 NobleSavage

NobleSavage

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

anyway..i said you were off topic, not that you are child-molesters :P hahah it's not that a big deal

bye guys..

ps
if that mod or another based on the Hyborian Age, ever gets started i'll let you know!

#37 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,027 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

Thought I'd bump this thread. Here's a link to Taranaich's mod:

http://forums.totalw...Conan-Total-War