• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 10:37 AM

'Conan and the EMERALD LOTUS' -
- is a great Conan ( co ) adventure by -
JOHN C. HOCKING ( jh ).
-
jh gives us a great NEW, powerful + amazing 'branch' of dark, twisted, EMERALD magic !
-
the book is packed with action -
exciting, gory fights, + a very special variety of powerful, new 'monsters'.
+ plenty of amazing + spectacular magic from several mighty wizards !
-
jh's great respect for co + his creator R E HOWARD (reh) shines through .
he dedicates the book to reh, + cleverly links this book into following 'the snout in the dark' - by refering to it in the story ( on p 8 ).
-
jh writes very good suspense, horror, + exciting, bloody action fights.
he builds the tale to a great + satisfying climax !
but i enjoyed the story + characters so much that i didn't want it to end !
can't wait for his 2nd co book ! (which he completed years ago + is still waiting for cpi to stop dithering !? - madness ?! )
-
jh's writing is so accomplished that he compares very well with most other good co authors. + it's hard to believe that this was his 1st book.
-
this book is as stimulating + addictive as the most potent potion of EMERALD magic !
so if u've not read it yet - then give your barbarian brain a treat ! ( i got it from amazon )
-
JOHN HOCKING - i thank u sincerely ! - :D
+ best wishes to u all ! bs * * *
-
i rate this 9 out of 10 !
-
( + thanks to all of u who have already commented on lots of co books in this forum ! cheers )

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#2 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 03:56 PM

Hey Buxom Sorceress,

Thanks for the review.

...Emerald Lotus is one of those books that are still on my "to buy" list. Looks like it mighjt be worth getting then.
Unfortunately being a typical Scotsman I tend to get most of my books through second hand stores but I find the TOR ones are particularly hard to get in the UK.. sure I can pay full whack from Amazon but I grudge it :rolleyes: .. when funds allow I usually have two copies of every book, a reading one and a nicer one for the bookshelf.. sad, huh!! :huh:

still, xmas is coming.. maybe time to drop some hints to relatives

Budgie (WellOfWyrd)
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#3 Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl

MOAR KOFFEE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 05:29 PM

Hey, Sorceress, it's about time you got here! :D The Emerald Lotus sounds like one of the better books and I definitely want to get it. Like Budgie, though, I tend to try and find used books, first, rather than pay full price for a new one.

Btw, Budgie, sometimes Amazon.com lists both new and used books of the same title. Does Amazon.co.uk do the same? I ordered a bunch of books and ended up paying more for the postage and handling than I did for the actual books! :blink:

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying." ~ Woody Allen

#4 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 07:43 PM

Hey, Sorceress, it's about time you got here!  :D  The Emerald Lotus sounds like one of the better books and I definitely want to get it.  Like Budgie, though, I tend to try and find used books, first, rather than pay full price for a new one.

Btw, Budgie, sometimes Amazon.com lists both new and used books of the same title.  Does Amazon.co.uk do the same?  I ordered a bunch of books and ended up paying more for the postage and handling than I did for the actual books!  :blink: 

Dg,
Yep, Amazon.co.uk does the same on cd's and books but like you say you can end up paying more for postage.. more added costs, huh..

I use ebay as well (.co.uk) but again the TOR stuff doesnt come up that often.. plenty of the pshere ones though.. some folks cant seem to give those away!!

Budgie

#5 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 08:08 AM

thanks everybody for your kind words !
-
here's some VERY USEFUL info on finding + buying new + 2nd h conan books - in uk. (+ usa below )
-
i've found amazon uk to be great + reliable -
many of the later tor books can be got new for under ?4 each BUT MAKE SURE that u make an order of ?25+ so u qualify for NO DELIVERY CHARGES ! GREAT VALUE !
NB when u go to the order list wi the price details ENSURE that u click on 'deliver entire order together' + update the list so it shows u the total without del charges.
it may take 2-4 weeks to come this way but its best value!
-
NB any thing u order from the 2nd h marketplace cannot qualify for a free del cause its not coming from amaz.
but the marketplace works great + i've already got several bks from dif rent sellers for under ?6 each inc p+p! + most del in 3 days !
-
zardoz books uk have a big range of 2h co bks, + ive got several fine copies from them for ?6 or less inc p+p !
they del fast in 3 days.
-
fetchbook.info is a wonderful search tool for finding + comparing prices of all new + 2h bks in the western world + usa, etc. !
ITS FANTASTIC ! + i will be using this to eventually buy all the rarer co bks from the usa (where they are in abundance )
ive just ordered 1 bk from usa to see how long it takes, cause at ?5-80 total its whoopee bargain time !?
-
so collecting old co books from your armchair is much easier than u think - eh !
i'd prefer to manually thumb thru dusty bookstores but i just aint got the time these days.
-
good luck + best wishes with all your collecting !
-
world-wide kisses from a buxom book hunter * * *

#6 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:18 PM

Hy, BP, yr lst pst ws so fl of abrvtns I cdnt mk hd nor tls of it.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#7 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 07:06 AM

nice 1 ironhand ! :D
-
sorry, but i was so tired + in a rush -
i musta lapsed into my own 'note taking mode' ?!
-
i'm not a great typist + i like to keep in low-case to make it quicker + easier for me .
-
so please all forgive my 'moron' typing style -
its the thought + content that counts - eh ?!
( if u like my thoughts, then i'll be content !? )
-
cheers ! * * *
c u

#8 CeltIberian

CeltIberian

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 06:47 AM

Cool I will for sure check this book out. You seem to have good taste Box Sorce.

And to keep it with the REH, I will be impressed.
Thanks for the heads up. ;)

#9 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 05:25 AM

hi celt- !
-
+ checkout the reviews section at -
www.conan.no
-
there is another good review of 'lotus' by brule !
-
u said - ' You seem to have good taste Box Sorce.'
-
cheeky - - -
how do u know what my 'box sorce' tastes like - eh ?!?
:lol:
-
+ i ask all of u literate barbarians to post more reviews of any conan books or products (old or new ) at this site + at conan.no site , or at both, PLEASE ?
+ rate em out of 10 please.
-
i luv reading reviews of what real hyborians like or dislike !?
+ they are very helpfull indeed !
-
so come on all u shy slayers ?
just give us 1 paragraph, at least, of your valued opinions ! - please ?
-
big kisses from 'she who needs advice' * * * :)

#10 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:44 AM

Ehm.. thought I had been doing that already :rolleyes: .. :)

Unfortunately not reading any new ones at the mo (although I have some coming from Amazon).
Back re-reading one of my pastiche faves currently - Conan: Road of Kings by K E Wagner.. Attempted Communism in Conans time.. :blink:

Budgie

#11 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 01:58 PM

+ i ask all of u literate barbarians to post more reviews of any conan books or products (old or new ) at this site + at conan.no site , or at both, PLEASE ?
+ rate em out of 10 please.

I need to second this request. there are a lot of pastiches currently on the market, some good, others not so good. As a site dedicated to Conan of Cimmeria, I feel that we owe it to each other to keep everyone informed as to which books we feel are worth the time and money to invest in and which ones can be given a pass.

One thing that I ask, if you like or dislike a particular novel, tell us. Each one here as their own personal veiw of what makes a good novel, and a good Conan story. to just dismiss a pastiches out of hand does not help anyone else decide if the book is worth reading or not.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#12 Ring-Haunter

Ring-Haunter

Thoth-amon's Press Agent

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:11 AM

I think more reviews of the pastiches would be incredibly helpful. Yes, REH Conan is the best, but some of the pastiches are actually good -- I particularly liked "Conan: The Road of Kings" (totally agree with budgie on that) and Poul Anderson's "Conan the Rebel" (but I am a huge Anderson fan -- I miss him a lot). I even liked some of the Tor books, and based on what I've heard here, I will definitely go seek out "Emerald Lotus." :)

I love REH, but I also like fantasy literature in general, and it would be wonderful if I had some guide through the many pastiches available to know what might be worth my time. I would especially like to know if what people think of Tor's most recent, "Conan of Venarium." A big name author, an intriguing period in Conan's life, but is it any good? Anyone have an opionon, please tell me!

I have some reviews I wrote for myself a few years ago that I think I'll post them over at conan.no next week.

--Ryan
Haunter of the Ring
Ryan: The Haunter of the Ring, Reviewer at Large, The Swing Dancin? Stygian

Visit my promotional website!
Associate Editor at Sword and Sorcery

#13 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 02:16 AM

thanks for your comments ryan !
-
road of kings is great, as is most stuff written by k e wagner.
-
posting reviews at conan.no -
please post em into the main forum + i will copy em into the reviews section for u . [u need permission from stale to directly post + edit reviews ]
+ please give your reviews a rating from 1 to 5 !
-
i am posting my reviews here + at stales + at amazon uk.
-
venarium book -
check varied reviews at amazon.
must read the forum threads on it at conan.no !
-
it seems to be an inconsistant mess ?
but i dont care cause i'm not interested in a teen conan -
i like a fully developed real man !
-
lotus kisses from a buxom dreamer * * * :)

#14 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:31 AM

Just picked up my copy of Emerald Lotus..

I decided this was gonna be my next read due to this thread..

You beter be right about it Buxom or Im gonna have to send a raiding party south :o :lol: .. The Reivers may ride again!!! B)

Budgie

#15 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 11:17 AM

:) hey budgie -
dinna threeten me laddie !
ach ! you'll never make it past hadrians wall carryin all those crates o' whisky + irn bru + tossin yer big caber every 10 yards ! ? :lol:
-
i hope u can join me in a toast to john hocking when u have experienced the power of his emerald brew.
-
enjoy draining every last drop !
-
u will never regard plants in the same way again - - -
;)

#16 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 02:17 AM

You beter be right about it Buxom or Im gonna have to send a raiding party south

Nay Budgie!
If you are unhappy with EMERALD LOTUS, harm not a hair of the Princess's glossy head!
It will be all my fault and I'll shoulder all the blame.

Hey thanks, B.P.
If you're half as beautiful as you are sweet, you must be as fine as the morning sun.

#17 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 03:22 AM

YOU are very welcome emerald ! ;)
-
+ thanks for your nice words.
-
your fine book is like a big bright shining Emerald in the 'dusty crown' of conan pastiches !
-
my sincere thanks for entertaining me so well with all your hard work !
-
+ good luck + best wishes in all u do.
-
i hope cpi will let us enjoy your 2nd book soon. [the buxom sorceress has to 'bite her tongue' + calmly put down her fully charged 'lightning wand' - - - ]
-
warm sunny kisses from your buxom admirer * * * :D

#18 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:55 PM

You beter be right about it Buxom or Im gonna have to send a raiding party south

Nay Budgie!
If you are unhappy with EMERALD LOTUS, harm not a hair of the Princess's glossy head!
It will be all my fault and I'll shoulder all the blame.

Hey thanks, B.P.
If you're half as beautiful as you are sweet, you must be as fine as the morning sun.

Emerald..

Do you realise how much work it is getting together a pack of Border reivers to do a little tour of England.. it aint cheap....And I aint looking at returning with stolen sheep either :o :P

I m looking forward to getting a chance to sit down with the book, I didnt realise I was in such famous company B)

My times been taken up with the new PC build.. its finished now and awaiting the Conan game.. drool factor switched on and functioning.. :lol:

Cheers for now

To quote Conan.. " I'll be ba.." oops!! wrong character :P

Budgie

#19 red nails

red nails

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 05:38 PM

Hi all, i agree that Emerald is a great read, but so is Conan the Great where he is Emperor, great stuff, if i remember rightly, not many of the pastiche novels deal with this later period.

Now a plea for help!, i recently bought a Bran Mak Morn Novel called the Witch of the Mists by David C Smith & Richard Tierney, published by Zebra in 1978, it is volume 3. Does anybody know what vols 1 & 2 were, and where i can find them, and if any subsequent vols were printed?

cheers

Red Nails

#20 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 06:14 PM

I recently bought a Bran Mak Morn Novel called the Witch of the Mists by David C Smith & Richard Tierney, published by Zebra in 1978, it is volume 3. Does anybody know what vols 1 & 2 were, and where i can find them, and if any subsequent vols were printed?

Well, number one has to be Zebra's WORMS OF THE EARTH, their collection of the original REH Bran Mak Morn tales.

And I reckon number two is Karl Edward Wagner's LEGION FROM THE SHADOWS.

Wagner's book is pretty good; worth seeking out if you like Bran (and who here does not?).

There were no further books in the series.

But there were pervasive rumors of a completed second Bran Mak Morn pastiche by Wagner, even extending to suggestions that it was to be released packaged with LEGION in a special trade paperback collection in the UK.
Since Wagner has passed on and this has never surfaced, I guess it was all just moonshine.
Anybody else ever hear of this?