• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

My pastiche got a nice write-up on the blog of mystery/historical author Evan Lewis.

http://davycrockettsalmanack.blogspot.com/2013/08/forgotten-books-conan-and-emerald-lotus.html

This is an uncommon situation, as not only is Conan & the Emerald Lotus getting a review 18 years after publication, but it’s being reviewed on a forum that not devoted to REH, Conan or Sword & Sorcery.

The comments are pretty amusing too, as conversation veers from literature with a capital “L” (Tolstoy & Hemingway) to Conan pastiche. 

The internet is weird.

I notice that James Reasoner will review it as well.  Right on!  B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#122 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Good to see attention given to your work! I still wish that sequel would somehow get published...

The latest installment of the Dragon's Spine area in AOC was just recently released - I haven't been able to get into the area much as it is not something that can be done solo but I have not seen any references to your book in it thus far. I am sure when they release the Palace of Cetriss area though there will be.

EDIT: OK, not sure how this person got access to this area, but here is a photo gallery of the outside area for Palace Of Cetriss:

http://imgur.com/a/6O9LP#30

Some nice interesting images in that gallery.
Thanks very much. :)

I am  currently working on getting in there - apparently I can leap in from a mountain I finally got to the top of - just have to figure out where, and I will post some screen shots so all can see the Palace brought to life :)

Like Buxie said, some interesting stuff. Some spots look a little too "straight Egyptian" for my taste. That Ra/Horus statue especially. Would rather have seen them try doing Derketo or a Stygian "ape-god". Looking forward to their rendition of Nyarlathotep/the Faceless God.

Deuce, I think he might be part of the raid instance that this will be - he is part of a quest line already, in human form.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#123 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

James Reasoner offers a review of Conan & the Emerald Lotus.

http://jamesreasoner...rald-lotus.html

Reasoner is a pulp fiction authority, a former member of REHupa, and the accomplished author of dozens of mystery, western and historical novels. 

The guy seems to me to be one of the very few modern authors who would have been at home writing during the golden age of the pulp magazines. 

He noticed the pulp roots of my little pastiche, which pretty much made my day.    

#124 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

Nice to see your work still getting attention after all these years, John. You deserve it. B)

"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#125 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:15 AM

I know you have mentioned this before John, but what happened to that second novel? Or even the part of the third you had started?

Based on the sad state of new content being put out I don't see this happening, but if you were approached to pick up where you left off - would you?

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#126 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

magic signs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Reasoner is a pulp fiction authority, a former member of REHupa, and the accomplished author of dozens of mystery, western and historical novels. 

The guy seems to me to be one of the very few modern authors who would have been at home writing during the golden age of the pulp magazines. 

That is a fine review by James Reasoner. [ thankyou James ]

Rock on 'Emerald Lotus' into 2014 and beyond. :)
----

TO all :
in that review page, read the 3rd comment down for John s old plans for 6 pastiches with Tor: by Crom ! talk about 'lost treasures', indeed.
I will never forgive the 'then next new cpi' for abandoning the best hot Tor writers like John.

#127 cromsblood

cromsblood

Blood of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

Well Emerald, being relatively new around here I didn't realize who you were (green gemstone aside).  I read the review, and since I haven't read your novel yet it immediately moved to the top of my reading list (I just happened to have a near mint condition copy of it sitting around the house).  Looking forward to breaking that spine!

Edited by cromsblood, 01 September 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#128 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

Wow. Good review (as I expected). Wish it'd been longer, though.

Mr. Reasoner is the real deal. A pulp throwback. He mentions his own El Borak pastiche, "Wolves of the Hills", which I thought was cool. Like many REH fans (whether they know it or not), he's a "Burkean Purist".

http://www.rehupa.co...e_manifesto.htm

http://www.conan.com...02&hl=manifesto

In other words, REH pastiches are fine, just keep them in line with Howardian lore and spirit (and don't put them on the same "canonical" level as REH's own yarns). Oh yeah, and they should be well-written.

"Lotus" succeeds on all counts, IMO.   B)

I was surprised by the commentors who didn't know about/hadn't read "Lotus" or who didn't know that Conan had been considered a "hardboiled" character for several decades.   :rolleyes:

Actually, I shouldn't have been. Despite the easy access to knowledge nowadays, many seem to remain willfully ignorant.

Cool to see the "Lotus Renaissance" rollin'!   B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#129 darthgall

darthgall

Storm Wolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Another good one from Howard Andrew Jones, one of the guys leading the "S&S rennaissance" charge:

http://www.howardand...e-emerald-lotus

And, for bonus points, his post about other Conan pastiches:

http://www.howardand...writers-of-doom

I'd also like to throw my voice behind those desiring to see the unpublished sequel... any chance of using "find and replace" to release a novel featuring a dark-haired, northern barbarian named "Nonac"?

Mick.

Darth Gall

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - Henry Louis Mencken

#130 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Howard Andrew Jones added this in the comments section of that first link...

"I feel very fortunate to have read Living Plague. I learned in discussion with Hocking that he might still have the first third of the third Conan novel on an old Apple in his basement and I was trying all of my persuasive techniques to get him to fire it up so I could read what he had."

I think I speak for all of us - I hope that work can be accessed and perhaps glimpsed by those of us who are clamoring for the rest of John's Conan!

#131 Guest_boye_*

Guest_boye_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

I liked Emeralds' novel a lot and I enjoyed his stuff posted online too.  His Conan was a breath of fresh air

after I'd just read another not so good Conan pastiche.  I felt sorry for Conan when he got burned tho.

Poor guy.

#132 cromsblood

cromsblood

Blood of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

Finally read it, loved it, and emptied a sack o' words about it out on Crom's table! 

#133 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

magic signs

• Members
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

Finally read it, loved it, and emptied a sack o' words about it out on Crom's table! 

Well done.
Your review page is a comprehensive and fine promotion of John's classic Conan book.
:)

#134 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Many thanks for the kind words, Cromsblood.  Glad you got a kick out of my pastiche.

It's strange.  Conan & the Emerald Lotus has had more written about it in the last month than it has in the 18 years since it was first published.

I really have no idea why this would happen now, as opposed to three years ago, next month, or fifty years after I’m in the grave, but it’s gratifying to see.

#135 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

It's very interesting how some pastiche is received by fandom - some discrepancies are accepted while similar situations are flat out rejected. It's a phenomenon that only occurs with pastiche - it's very subjective . With all due respect to Mr. Hocking (as we have already discussed earlier in this very topic) there are quite a few instances and situations in Conan and the Emerald Lotus that one could question as not Conanesque - as many pastiche authors have been similarly questioned throughout Conan's amazing career, even to this day. For example (and there are others)

1). Conan is knocked out twice within the first twenty pages

2). Conan doesn't fight anyone until the Stygian guards well into the book - where is the action?

3). Conan works for a wizard and even pleads with him

4 ) Conan does exactly what he is told by his employer wizard

5) Conan gives a massive amount of the most powerful lotus to a wizard after he just witnessed what a small amount of the lotus could do

6). Conan never takes advantage of the situation to his advantage - he just completes the mission.

Nitpicky? Well, that is the interesting debate about pastiche. The similar examples in a Turtledoce or Wood pastiche would be and are lambasted as unHowardian - yet Lotus escapes unscathed. Lotus is a wonderfully written book but the above examples do happen and for some reason they are okay within the pastiche of Lotus but not okay within similar well written pastiches. Very interesting - and I have nothing but respect for Mr. Hocking and his membership and contribution to this site. I congratulate him on this renewed interest in his wonderful Conan story - I just have to comment on the interesting similarities between different pastiche authors.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#136 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

I like what emerald has done with Conan, NOT trying to be Howard, and giving the character his own spin.The same with JMR. He still captured most of the big Cimmerian's essence, and also provided a bit of that old time Weird Tales vibe. I for one would welcome some more Howard pastiche, including some of his other characters. I hope this renewed interest in Conan and the Emerald Lotus helps to get emerald's second, and maybe third Conan tale into print. Whada ya say, Mr Hocking?

#137 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

I know Mr. Hocking has given his reasons why he's reluctant to publish Conan and the Living Plague with new names . . . but I'll add my voice to those who would be very, very happy if he chose to do it. The first Conan story was a rewrite of an unpublished Kull story, after all . . .

Edited by Almuric, 25 September 2013 - 03:35 AM.

"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#138 cromsblood

cromsblood

Blood of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:48 AM

Many thanks for the kind words, Cromsblood.  Glad you got a kick out of my pastiche.

It's strange.  Conan & the Emerald Lotus has had more written about it in the last month than it has in the 18 years since it was first published.

I really have no idea why this would happen now, as opposed to three years ago, next month, or fifty years after I’m in the grave, but it’s gratifying to see.

My pleasure Emerald, it was the least I could do to repay you for the wild ride. Thanks back at ya!

I tend to buy more books than I can keep up with, so I'm also thankful that your novel has been getting some (well deserved) attention of late, that's what got it from my bookcase to my nightstand. 

#139 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

magic signs

• Members
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

...I tend to buy more books than I can keep up with, so I'm also thankful that your novel has been getting some (well deserved) attention of late, that's what got it from my bookcase to my nightstand.

well if you late readers had believed my very enthusiastic review [ in post #1 ]
then you could have been enjoying this classic book 10 years ago.
;)
[ it was my 1st ever internet review, and typing was a bit messy. but my delighted enthusiasm shouts out loud and clear. ]

I even sent 2 emails to cpi: asking them to publish more Hocking Conan, but they never sent a reply.

[ just imagine how much money cpi could have made over the years
if they had published 3 [ or all 6 ] quality Hocking books ?
And if they had also published decent collections of new Conan [ and Hyborian ] short tales? [ 1 collection every 1 or 2 years would have been cool ]
its not just missed oportunities, it is like 'criminal negligence' for us fans? ]

Great Conan writers like Hocking and Roberts are worth far more than their weight in Stygian gold... :)