#1 dekker

dekker

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:41 AM

Hi all,

Well this might actually not be news as the topic implies but instead lack of news.

However...
This week Paradox Entertainment released their annual report for 2006, and in it the CEO mentioned some things about the progress with Warner Bros and the Conan movie. The CEO was disapointed that the movie had been delayed for this long, and that they were considering if they should extend the agreement with Warner Bros.
Later inte the text the CEO mentioned that they were _hoping_ that the movie would go into production in 2008.

How long can Paradox Entertainment wait for Warner Bros decision to green light this project? Shouldn?t there be a lot of other studios that would be more than happy to take over this when the current agreement/option ends this summer? We well see...

best regards
dekker

Edited by Kortoso, 02 September 2007 - 07:52 PM.

#2 Kull1964

Kull1964

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

Hi all,

Well this might actually not be news as the topic implies but instead lack of news.

However...
This week Paradox Entertainment released their annual report for 2006, and in it the CEO mentioned some things about the progress with Warner Bros and the Conan movie. The CEO was disapointed that the movie had been delayed for this long, and that they were considering if they should extend the agreement with Warner Bros.
Later inte the text the CEO mentioned that they were _hoping_ that the movie would go into production in 2008.

How long can Paradox Entertainment wait for Warner Bros decision to green light this project? Shouldn?t there be a lot of other studios that would be more than happy to take over this when the current agreement/option ends this summer? We well see...

best regards
dekker

Thanks for the info. Why Paradox doesn't go back to Universal, who released the two Conan movies of the 80's? I'm sure they'll be interested in renewing their connection with the franchise...
Universal also have a long tradition of fantasy/horror/Sci-Fi classics and it's one of the most genre-oriented studios (something that Warner is not...).

#3 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

I hope they are considering an HBO series.

#4 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:31 PM

Given the level of reality that HBO have been able to produce in Deadwood and Rome I would love to see them have a stab at a Conan mini series.. there we could expect an adult and hopefully accurate depiction of Howards Conan.

HBO have proven themselves able to have the courage to produce gritty, accurate drama.. I for one would welcome them having a stab at it.

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#5 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:00 AM

Sounds like a good idea. See, I'm not a total curmudgeon.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#6 Abu

Abu

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:33 AM

Conan on HBO....that's one of the greatest ideas I have heard in a long time. HBO knows how to put it down.

#7 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:37 PM

Plus they wouldn't feel forced to fluff the short stories into a two- or three-hour format.

#8 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

If not HBO, why not Troma? I mean, "Barbarian Nymphoid in Dinosaur Hell" was a classic, right?

#9 Theo

Theo

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

On a side note...

While a live-action Conan film seems to be sitting in developement hell, Warner Brothers has green-lit a new He-Man and the Masters of the Universe film.

So, in a sense, a knock-off Conan character can get a live action film, but the real thing can't get made.

#10 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:50 PM

If not HBO, why not Troma? I mean, "Barbarian Nymphoid in Dinosaur Hell" was a classic, right?

[monty python voice] Mr Roberts, thats plain silly!![/monty python voice].. go stand in the corner until you can behaive!! :lol:

Budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#11 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:22 AM

I hope they are considering an HBO series.

The day that happens, I will absolutely subscribe to HBO and set my DVR to record every episode!

#12 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:29 AM

On a side note...

While a live-action Conan film seems to be sitting in developement hell, Warner Brothers has green-lit a new He-Man and the Masters of the Universe film.

So, in a sense, a knock-off Conan character can get a live action film, but the real thing can't get made.

He-Man is actually more of a knock-off of Kull than Conan:
Although Thulsa Doom was highlighted in CTB the movie, Howard's writings never had them cross paths. He was actually Kull's nemesis, a skull-faced nemesis...can anyone say Skeletor?. Battlecat...hello, tiger totem anyone? He-Man's enemies SnakeMen...ala Kull's enemy Serpent cults/"The Serpent that Walks." Eternia...sound anything like Valusia? Just some thoughts there, I'm a fan of all three barbarians!

#13 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:20 AM

Y'know, Maelstrom, I watched just enough episodes of He-Man back in the day... I think your breakdown/analysis is right on. Actually, "CtB" also matches up with Kull far more than the Cimmerian. Maybe the Kull yarns have been far more influential than anyone realizes... :rolleyes:

Of course, when it came time to make a Kull movie, de Laurentiies and co. adapted a Conan yarn... :rolleyes:

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#14 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:13 AM

Y'know, Maelstrom, I watched just enough episodes of He-Man back in the day... I think your breakdown/analysis is right on. Actually, "CtB" also matches up with Kull far more than the Cimmerian. Maybe the Kull yarns have been far more influential than anyone realizes... :rolleyes:

Of course, when it came time to make a Kull movie, de Laurentiies and co. adapted a Conan yarn... :rolleyes:

Yeah, they got it BASSACKWARDS!

#15 Swiftsteel

Swiftsteel

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:25 AM

The funny thing is, the entire He-Man & the Masters Of the Universe franchise wouldn't exist without the CTB film in the first place. Apparently whatever toy company handled the He-Man line had originally intended to release a line of action figures based on the Conan film(s). Because the film received an 'R' rating though and thus would not be viewed (in theory!) by a younger audience, the suits at the toy company (Hasbro? Mattel? Anyone remember???) decided that Conan would not be a viable, marketable toy line. As a result, since they had all of these molds (moulds???) of various figure prototypes laying around from the Conan idea, they instead decided to tweak and change some of the details and come up with something original instead. The result of course was He-Man and Co.

As far as an HBO Conan series is concerned...man, I would be totally cool with that. All I ask is that the material be handled with the same sort of tone and atmosphere as has been given to The Sopranos and Deadwood. No more Ralf Moeller. No more bad scripts. No more 'funny' sidekicks. No more bad special effects. No more cheese. Just some raw, straight-up Conanesque action and menace the likes of which we can all live with. Hell, they don't even have to stick to pure Howard either as far as I'm concerned. Do the DeCamp/Carter stuff as well, not to mention that of other widely-praised pastiche authors. With the right treatment and approach an HBO series could be golden!!!

#16 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:45 AM

The funny thing is, the entire He-Man & the Masters Of the Universe franchise wouldn't exist without the CTB film in the first place. Apparently whatever toy company handled the He-Man line had originally intended to release a line of action figures based on the Conan film(s). Because the film received an 'R' rating though and thus would not be viewed (in theory!) by a younger audience, the suits at the toy company (Hasbro? Mattel? Anyone remember???) decided that Conan would not be a viable, marketable toy line. As a result, since they had all of these molds (moulds???) of various figure prototypes laying around from the Conan idea, they instead decided to tweak and change some of the details and come up with something original instead. The result of course was He-Man and Co.

It was Mattel, early 1980s. They had been in talks with CPI about Conan toys, and for whatever reason the deal fell through and CPI sued over He-Man. The judge had some pretty interesting things to say about Conan the Cimmerian and CPI. I think it finally ended up with Mattel paying CPI something to call it a day.

#17 Kull1964

Kull1964

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:07 PM

It was Mattel, early 1980s. They had been in talks with CPI about Conan toys, and for whatever reason the deal fell through and CPI sued over He-Man. The judge had some pretty interesting things to say about Conan the Cimmerian and CPI. I think it finally ended up with Mattel paying CPI something to call it a day.

Can you tell us more about those "some pretty interesting things"? Anyway, I think CPI suing Mattel for the He-Man series (great 80s toys, by the way! ;) ) is ridiculous... there were many barbarians heroes around at the time, in comics, movies and novels, and He-Man was less similar to Conan than many others. Nowhere it is written that Conan should be the only barbarian in fantasy/S&S! It's like Lucas who sued Universal for Battlestar Galactica, like he was the only one who had the rights to do space opera!!

#18 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:46 PM

According to Variety http://www.variety.c...1...yid=13&cs=1 Rick Alexander is to be the producer of the CtB remake .

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#19 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:55 PM

According to Variety http://www.variety.c...1...yid=13&cs=1 Rick Alexander is to be the producer of the CtB remake .

Terry

Thanks, Terry. What do the augurs portend then? Is he a replacement producer for someone else, signifying turmoil and more delays, or were the previous "producers" simply placeholders or "executive producers"?

#20 Theo

Theo

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:00 PM

The IMDB also confirms the appointment of Alexander as producer and has Azoff Entertainment as the Production Company alongside Paradox and Warner Brothers.

It's nice to see even a little progress, it will be interesting to see if more news begins to pop up now that there is a producer officially announced.

I don't see how they'll have it out in 2008 though.

Maybe someone can pin down Alexander and hear what he thinks about the project?

Edited by Theo, 06 June 2007 - 09:00 PM.