Photo

Poll: Favorite Robert E. Howard Solomon Kane Story

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Complete list of Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane Stories (80 member(s) have cast votes)

What Robert E. Howard Solomon Kane story is your favorite?

1. Skull in the Stars (2 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

2. The Right Hand of Doom (4 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

3. Red Shadows (12 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

4. Rattle of Bones (4 votes [5.00%])

5. The Castle of the Devil (1 votes [1.25%])

Percentage of vote: 1.25%

6. Death's Black Riders (2 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

7. The Moon of Skulls (16 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

8. The Blue Flame of Vengeance (4 votes [5.00%])

9. The Hills of the Dead (8 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

10. Wings in the Night (23 votes [28.75%])

Percentage of vote: 28.75%

11. The Footfalls Within (3 votes [3.75%])

Percentage of vote: 3.75%

12. The Children of Asshur (1 votes [1.25%])

Percentage of vote: 1.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 the black stone

the black stone

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

red shadows is my favorite---the man's fixation to revenge what was done to the young lady is incredible--the gorilla god-le loup---" men shall die for this"-----ralph g

#22 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:17 AM

I hate to be in the majority, but I have to go with "Red Shadows". Great, great story. I wouldn't mind seeing it on film someday. Think of a teaser trailer with James Purefoy cradling the dying girl and saying, "Men shall die for this!" as the camera tracks in on the dark face of God's grim avenger. Oh, yea.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#23 evisceratedmemories

evisceratedmemories

One who walked alone!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

The hills of the dead!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#24 The_Puritan

The_Puritan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

I really love all the stories, Red Shadows, Blue Flame of Vengeance, Wings in the Night, etc, but ever since the first time I read it, The Moon of Skulls left the greatest impression on me. In any other story are there not more passages and lines underlined in red pen. :) I love the beginning when he's alone searching for Negari, the dead body that is nailed to a tree with a stretched out arm pointing the other direction, Kane can never be broken, even by the beautiful vampire queen herself. Kane's imprisonment, his trek through the catacombs of the city, the rescue of the girl Marilyn, the destruction of the city, it's all so vivid like I had just read it yesterday. It's my fav! :)

Edited by The_Puritan, 21 April 2009 - 10:55 PM.

"There is evil on this earth and will hunt it down and send it burning back to hell."

#25 SufferNoGuilt

SufferNoGuilt

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

If i had to choose one out of them all, including the poems. Id have to say The Return of Sir RIchard Grenvill hands down.

"How walks a man who died, friend of old time, what do ye here, long fallen at my side."

"The hounds of doom are free, the slayers come to take your head and han it on the juju tree."

AHHH just so freakn awesome.
He shrugged his shoulders. "I have known many gods. He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply. I seek not beyond death. It may be the blackness averred by the Nemedian skeptics, or Crom's realm of ice and cloud, or the snowy plains and vaulted halls of the Nordheimer's Valhalla. I know not, nor do I care. Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."

- Quote by Conan; novelette; Weird Tales 23 "Queen of the Black Coast" 5, May 1934

#26 drush9999

drush9999

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

I liked all the Solomon Kane stories, even the unfinished ones. I really struggled to pick a favourite, near the top are Red Shadows and Wings in the Night. Think Kane is my favourite REH character overall.

My final choice though is The Moon of Skulls, absolutely love it, very exciting to read and get carried away by the fast pace of the story. I think it has more variety than other SK stories which just pushes it to the top.

Edited by drush9999, 21 August 2009 - 01:45 PM.

"But the law!" screamed Tu.
"I am the law!" roared Kull, swinging up his axe; it flashed downward and the stone tablet flew into a hundred pieces. The people clenched their hands in horror, waiting dumbly for the sky to fall.

#27 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

I liked all the Solomon Kane stories, even the unfinished ones. I really struggled to pick a favourite, near the top are Red Shadows and Wings in the Night. Think Kane is my favourite REH character overall.

My final choice though is The Moon of Skulls, absolutely love it, very exciting to read and get carried away by the fast pace of the story. I think it has more variety than other SK stories which just pushes it to the top.

Welcome to the forums drush - and thanks for voting in our favorite story polls. I agree Moon of Skulls is a great story. What a cool time to be a Solomon Kane fan and an excellent time to read REH's Solomon Kane stories again. It is great to see SK receive some press and spotlight time. But in the end the best Solomon Kane stories are when you join him in Robert E. Howard's original stories. Really hard to pick a favorite!

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#28 Malak

Malak

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

The great thing about Kane is that there are several stories of extremely high quality. While 90% of fans agree that Worms of the Earth is the best BMM story, it's more difficult to name a single best SK story. Right now the poll shows a tie between Red Shadows, The Moon of Skulls and Wings in the Night!

My vote went to Wings in the Night, because it's - in my opinion - the most "intense" story. It's full of violence, rage, hate and sheer insanity. I'll never forget the image of a mad Kane standing in a butchered village, screaming out his rage while blood splatters on his face from the slaughter above.

#29 drush9999

drush9999

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:35 AM

Welcome to the forums drush - and thanks for voting in our favorite story polls. I agree Moon of Skulls is a great story. What a cool time to be a Solomon Kane fan and an excellent time to read REH's Solomon Kane stories again. It is great to see SK receive some press and spotlight time. But in the end the best Solomon Kane stories are when you join him in Robert E. Howard's original stories. Really hard to pick a favorite!

Thanks, been lurking here far too long now :P
I too am looking forward to seeing what they do with the SK film.
"But the law!" screamed Tu.
"I am the law!" roared Kull, swinging up his axe; it flashed downward and the stone tablet flew into a hundred pieces. The people clenched their hands in horror, waiting dumbly for the sky to fall.

#30 Grimr

Grimr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

Bit of a late-comer to this thread, but...Hills of the Dead! Does it for me every time (of course it's a tight call...there are several truly great SK tales.)
"I think of Life!" he roared. "The dead are dead, and what has passed is done! I have a ship and a fighting crew and a girl with lips like wine, and that's all I ever asked."

#31 Lord of the Animals

Lord of the Animals

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

The Moon of Skulls is my favorite Kane story, but I like all of REH's Solomon Kane stories. :D
When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

#32 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:55 PM

I just got The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane for my birthday. I have Baen's silver colored volume from back in the day, but had never read any of them yet. I've read the first couple in this book and I like Right Hand of Doom. The concept is pretty cool.

I'm not a huge fan of horror, which is probably why SK never grabbed my interest beyond being an REH creation. But I think I will like getting into these. :)

#33 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

I just got The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane for my birthday. I have Baen's silver colored volume from back in the day, but had never read any of them yet. I've read the first couple in this book and I like Right Hand of Doom. The concept is pretty cool.

I'm not a huge fan of horror, which is probably why SK never grabbed my interest beyond being an REH creation. But I think I will like getting into these. :)

Happy birthday Reaver. Congrats on the new book. B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#34 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Now that i have read all the stories i must say Hills of the Dead is the fav. Maybe not the strongest written and certainly not the one with the best take on Kane himself. Not about the brooding,self-doubt Kane you see in some of the other stories.

Vampires in a hellish,darker than dark Africa. Thats like a vivid dream you dont want to forget :)

#35 elysium

elysium

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:12 AM

The Moon of Skulls is my favourite completed story, but I also love the initial fragment of The Children of Asshur and could of built into something special.

#36 Crom's bells

Crom's bells

Sinewy thews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

It's hard to decide, but I chose Hills of the Dead, simply because of the amazing epic battle that took place. The horror and thrill of the vampires hunting down N'Longa and Kane are unmatched.

I was about to choose Red Shadows for all it's badassery, but that one battle in Hills really blew me away.

#37 Trond

Trond

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:38 AM

I haven't read more than half of the Solomon Kane stories, so I will wait a bit before I vote here. Having said that, I think "Skulls in the Stars" was short and brilliant, so I suspect that I will be one of the few to vote for that one. I also liked "The One Black Stain".

Edited by Trond, 08 May 2010 - 01:38 AM.

#38 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

Wings In The Night. Awesome ending.

Author of the Merkabah Rider Series
http://emerdelac.wor...merkabah-rider/
My licensed Star Wars story Fists Of Ion
http://star-wars.suv...sts-of-ion.html
My Blog:
http://emerdelac.wordpress.com/
See the trailer for my 2009 western 'Meaner Than Hell' on imdb.com

#39 jonanthebarbarian

jonanthebarbarian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Moon of Skulls because it was long. It's same reason I like Hour of the Dragon so much. I get a huge story with larger than life characters

#40 Crom2006

Crom2006

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

"Wings of the Night" for me. It not just works as a excellent horror story, but the plot about Kane gaining the trust of the village only to fail them is one of the most dramatic moments in a Solomon Kane story. However, I do feel really guilty for leaving out "Red Shadows" which had an excellent plot about Kane's vengeful quest to avenge a girl he never knew which lead to a kick ass swash buckling climax. And I also have to give another honorable mention to the poem, "Solomon Kane's Homecoming" because it made me reflect what he went though on his many travels.

Edited by Crom2006, 30 December 2012 - 07:25 AM.