Photo

Poll: Favorite Robert E. Howard Bran Mak Morn Story

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Complete list of REH's Bran Mak Morn Stories (73 member(s) have cast votes)

What is Your Favorite Robert E. Howard Bran Mak Morn Story?

1. Men of the Shadows (3 votes [4.11%])

Percentage of vote: 4.11%

2. Kings of the Night (10 votes [13.70%])

Percentage of vote: 13.70%

3. A Song of the Race (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Worms of the Earth (51 votes [69.86%])

Percentage of vote: 69.86%

5. The Dark Man (8 votes [10.96%])

Percentage of vote: 10.96%

6. The Lost Race (1 votes [1.37%])

Percentage of vote: 1.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

It was a tough choice between Kings and Worms but I went with Worms since it is all Bran Mak Morn and its awesome.
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#22 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:29 AM

Worms of the Earth. Not only the best BMM story but one of Howard's best in any category!

#23 Rowenna Brigantes

Rowenna Brigantes

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:40 PM

Worms of the Earth. Not only the best BMM story but one of Howard's best in any category!

Yes, it was one of Howard's best....can I vote again? ;) I do like " The Lost Race" though in a Robert Holdstock kind of way. Oh well it WAS a tough choice cuz I love them all!
? I'm not worrying about my Irish past. What has my Celtic blood ever done for me but give me a restless and unstable mind that gives me no rest in anything I do? Damn the Shan Van Vocht, and the ancestors that went to Sassenach gallows for her, and damn the Irish and damn the black Milesian blood in my veins that makes me like drift-wood fighting the waves and gives me no peace or rest waking or sleeping or riding or dreaming or traveling or wooing, drunken or sober, with hunger or slumber on me. ?
REH? Letter to Harold Preece, 1929

#24 drush9999

drush9999

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

Thats how you always feel afer finishing BMM stories. I felt so stronly that i was sad by the fact.

Bran was very complex compared to Conan. The guy had much more things to worry about. Shame it feels like you never got to know who he was. It was most about him as a leader,king,pict.

I'm tempted to get the pastiche "Legion from the Shadows" by Karl Edward Wagner to see where else BMM could have gone.
There's only three real BMM stories by REH in my mind, Kings in the Night was a close second to Worms, all the others either have references/tenuous links to BMM. I really enjoyed The Dark Man, but it's really a Turlogh O'Brien story. Wasn't too keen on The Lost Race or Men of the Shadows (maybe on a re-read).

Edited by drush9999, 27 August 2009 - 07:52 AM.

"But the law!" screamed Tu.
"I am the law!" roared Kull, swinging up his axe; it flashed downward and the stone tablet flew into a hundred pieces. The people clenched their hands in horror, waiting dumbly for the sky to fall.

#25 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

I enjoyed Kings of the Night as much as i enjoyed Worms of the Earth. Men of the Shadows not as strong but important,still quality Bran Mak Morn Story.

The Dark Man i enjoyed alot but i agree it was more Turlogh story than Bran. It was more about the picts in those days that worshipped him than Bran.

#26 Lord of the Animals

Lord of the Animals

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

Worms of the Earth with Kings of the Night second.
When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

#27 Trond

Trond

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

I just read The Dark Man, and I have to say that it was a great read. However, I agree with most people here in that Turlogh O'Brien is clearly the main character of that story. I also liked the fact that Kull was mentioned, thus tying three great characters to one story.

#28 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

Kings of the Night . :)

#29 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

Worms Of The Earth

http://www.manybooks..._the_earth.html

Posted Image
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#30 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

i just reread worms of the earth.wow, lovecrafts "stark living fear "comes to mind. I am in agreement with this for bran mak morn.definitely my favorite bran mak morn. The dark man is one of my fave reh stories also but i dont really consider it a Bran story.

#31 RichardPace

RichardPace

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

Well, for now and the next six months it'll be Men of the Shadows for me.

Hopefully, I'll be able to choose another BMM fave afterwords.

R

#32 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

I really enjoyed Kings of the Night. It's one of the more outright fantasy stories Howard wrote and it really struck me as influencing Moorcock. I also love the fight scene between Kull and Wulfhere; and Kull's stand against the Romans and the mention of how vastly superior Valusian steel is.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#33 Crom2006

Crom2006

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Worms of the Earth no doubt. Not just REH's best horror tale and Bran story, but one of his best works of all time. The story does not really have any action, but the suspense, creepy Lovecrafian fantasy and the dramatic storyline hits every mark. It is a great story because Bran is so blinded by his anger (due watching a fellow Pict get executed while able to do nothing about it) that he is willing to unleash a great evil just to get his revenge. It reminds me of "Wings of the Night" where Solomon Kane is also taken over by his anger and uses that inner barbarian just to get his revenge only that Worms of the Earth has more depth and suspense in it.
SPOILER ALERT
But the point is is that Bran is so blinded by his anger that after his revenge, he realizes that what he has unleashed is far too sinister to use and realizes why his ancestors fought off those beings a long time ago. He is and always will be haunted by their their repulsive image for the rest of his life as a consequence of his actions. rating is a 10/10. :D

#34 Element0s

Element0s

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

"Worms in the Earth" for me, though "Kings of the Night" is non-stop fun

Gatekeeper

http://gatekeeper-vinland.blogspot.ca

Epic heavy metal inspired by Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, H.P. Lovecraft and much more.