Photo

Worms Of The Earth/The Dark Man Connection?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Borumas

Borumas

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:20 AM

I was reading the Worms of the Earth story today again and remembered another story The Dark Man, then came to a possible conclusion to what happened to Mak Morn. After Worms of the Earth we know that the "worms" have marked him and will be coming to him at some point for vengeance, in this story he steals an unusual black stone from them. I wonder if the revenge the "worms" take on Bran is that they had turned him into a black stone object, to remain somewhat alive, somewhat inanimate, this might explain the ability to the statue of the dark man to do things like weigh a ton to his enemies and be light of weight to his people or allies. I'm sure other's may have had this observation as well but I thought I'd throw this out there for thought.
In 334BC Alexander met with Celtic warriors on the banks of the Danube and asked them what they feared most, expecting a reply that they feared him. Instead they stated "We fear only that the skies will fall on our heads."
The Celts regarded the Romans as barbarians due to their practice of murdering prisoners or selling prisoners, including women and children, into slavery.

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

Hey Borumas! Interesting thoughts. I don't have time to write a real reply at the moment. You might check out Children of the Night (the first part of it). It gives a different account, as I recall.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:40 AM

Interesting theory. I just finished Worms of the Earth today in The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard, Volume 4 and I was curious as to what threat awaited him when the Worms would visit him in the future... I read The Dark Man some time back and Children of the Night -- so long ago and before a bucket load of Howard I've been reading lately -- that their storylines are a tad vague, so I await deuce's hopefully coming "real" reply.
Crom!

#4 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:49 AM

Interesting theory. I just finished Worms of the Earth today in The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard, Volume 4 and I was curious as to what threat awaited him when the Worms would visit him in the future... I read The Dark Man some time back and Children of the Night -- so long ago and before a bucket load of Howard I've been reading lately -- that their storylines are a tad vague, so I await deuce's hopefully coming "real" reply.

Hey Bro! Well, I've been busy. :) Here's a short "real" reply...
Regarding the Wormish "threat", I think KEW's version is as good as anyone is likely to get. As far as the Dark Man statue, here's what it says in "The Last King" (p.221):"...the Dark Man - the image of Bran Mak Morn, carved in his likeness by a master-hand while the great king yet lived, and to which each (Pictish) worshipper of Bran makes a pilgrimage once in his or her lifetime." Here's this (p.162): "A wizard made this statue while the great Morni (Bran) yet lived and reigned, and when he died in the last great battle, his spirit entered into it. It is our god." And this (p.163): "Gonar, high priest of the Dark One - the ghost of Bran comes to him in dreams."
So, what seems likely is that Bran's Gonar (it seems to be the moniker of the top Pictish wizard-priest since Thurian times) made the Dark Man statue. Then Bran died in a great battle. His spirit entered the image. Ever since, Pictish "Gonars" have communed with the spirit of BMM and all true Picts have worshipped his memory and awaited the day when his image will stir with life and stride off its plinth to lead the Pictish faithful to Empire.
Hope that helps. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#5 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hey Bro! Well, I've been busy. :) Here's a short "real" reply...
Regarding the Wormish "threat", I think KEW's version is as good as anyone is likely to get. As far as the Dark Man statue, here's what it says in "The Last King" (p.221):"...the Dark Man - the image of Bran Mak Morn, carved in his likeness by a master-hand while the great king yet lived, and to which each (Pictish) worshipper of Bran makes a pilgrimage once in his or her lifetime." Here's this (p.162): "A wizard made this statue while the great Morni (Bran) yet lived and reigned, and when he died in the last great battle, his spirit entered into it. It is our god." And this (p.163): "Gonar, high priest of the Dark One - the ghost of Bran comes to him in dreams."
So, what seems likely is that Bran's Gonar (it seems to be the moniker of the top Pictish wizard-priest since Thurian times) made the Dark Man statue. Then Bran died in a great battle. His spirit entered the image. Ever since, Pictish "Gonars" have communed with the spirit of BMM and all true Picts have worshipped his memory and awaited the day when his image will stir with life and stride off its plinth to lead the Pictish faithful to Empire.
Hope that helps. :)

Thanks. :) As I read your reply, memories returned. It certainly sounds as interesting as Borumas' idea is, it's unlikely.

Edited by El Borak's Li'l Brother, 11 November 2007 - 10:54 PM.

Crom!

#6 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:02 PM

Thanks. :) As I read your reply, memories returned. It certainly sounds as interesting as Borumas' idea is, it's unlikely.

Hey Bro! For some reason, I think I might be right. Then again, who knows? ;)