Photo

Irish-American Boxers (the Physique Of Conan)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 KlarkashTon

KlarkashTon

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:37 PM

I've read that REH was a big fan of boxing and he also took inspirations from boxer of his era when creating Conan. I thought they might give a hint what Conan could have looked like in REH's mind.

Jim Braddock and Max Baer
Posted Image

Billy Conn
Posted Image
How can I wear the harness of toil and sweat at the daily round, while in my soul forever the drums of Pictdom sound?

#2 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

The lad on the left (Max Baer?) does remind me quite a bit of Conan.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#3 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:57 AM

Looking at the top picture, we might be seeing what, in REH's mind, would have been a Gunderman or an Aquilonian standing next to a Cimmerian.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#4 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:00 PM

Max Baer appeared in quite a few movies in REH's time.

Jethro Clampett in The Beverly Hillbillies was his son.

#5 bubbamakmorn

bubbamakmorn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:31 AM

I could be wrong but the top photo is not Braddock and Baer, but Baer and Primo Carnera (the big "Conan" looking fellow) he was around 6'7" tall and went about 265 lbs. Baer destroyed him.

#6 Sharn

Sharn

Hyborian Blue Iron Swordmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:26 AM

In the name of fairness, I have to say that Carnera was fighting with a broken ankle against Baer.
- A long bow and a strong bow, and let the sky grow dark!
The cord to the nock, the shaft to the ear, and the king of
Koth for a mark -
- I remember, The dark woods, masking slopes of sombre
hills;
The grey clouds' leaden everlasting arch;
The dusky streams that flowed without a sound,
And the lone winds that whispered down the passes. -
(Cimmeria, REH)
- Every hour harms, it's the last one that kills -

#7 Hades

Hades

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

Ya, I think you're right, that is Baer and Primo Carnera. And Jack Dempsey is the one in the middle.

#8 bubbamakmorn

bubbamakmorn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

[quote name='Sharn' date='Aug 26 2007, 03:26 AM' post='72617']
In the name of fairness, I have to say that Carnera was fighting with a broken ankle against Baer.
[/quot That makes alot of sense. I've always wondered how Carnera managed to keep getting up...very tough man.

#9 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

Kortoso (Post #4) wrote

Max Baer appeared in quite a few movies in REH's time.

Jethro Clampett in The Beverly Hillbillies was his son.

Shortly before his fight with Carnera, Max Baer stared in a film called 'The Prize Fighter and the Lady'.

Max wasn't exactly an finished actor, yet he had quite a bit of onscreen presence.

'The Prize Fighter and the Lady' concludes with Baer challenging Carnera for the title and getting a draw.
Jack Dempsey has a part as promoter for the fight. Before the fight a number of great boxers are introduced, including James J Jeffries (who REH regarded as the greatest heavyweight of alltimes). Also introduced was the wrestler Ed 'Strangler' Lewis, and its remarkable to see how sway-backed he was.
Myrna Loy, pre-Thin Man, is the lead actress and is very good.

Later in his life Baer had a significant cameo in the film 'The Harder They Fall'. The film stared Humphrey Bogart as a boxing journalist, and was largely based upon the exploitation of Primo Carnera by mob ownership. Max, who was hardly the surely boor portrayed in 'Cinderella Man', ironically portrays a surley, boorish version of himself.

Legend imputes to Baer one of the great departing lines: calling a hotel operator to report that he was experiencing chest pains, and being asked "Do you want the house doctor?", Max replied "No, I want a people-doctor!".

----------------

An aside on 'The Beverley Hillbillies' -- about a half-year ago I fell inlove with Eleanor Powell; and, in perusing her films, it was amusing to see Buddy Ebsen -- then a very successful eccentric tap-dancer -- who I had previously known only as 'Uncle Jed'.

#10 Borumas

Borumas

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:23 AM

Here's a few pics of some Irish legends in boxing:
Posted Image

On July 7, 1889 an estimated 3000 spectators boarded special trains for the secret location, which turned out to be Richburg, a town just south of Hattiesburg. The fight began at 10:30 the following morning, and it looked as if Sullivan was going to lose, especially after he vomited during the 44th round. But the champion got his second wind after that, and Kilrain's manager finally threw in the towel after the 75th round.

Man, 75 rounds, those were some real hardasses back then!

Posted Image

John Kelly, an immigrant barrel-maker from Ireland, went to watch the fights on Long Island on April 27, 1883. He volunteered to replace a fighter who didn't show up for one of the bouts, gave his name as "Jack Dempsey," and won in 21 rounds. So he became a professional boxer and was undefeated in his first fifty-five fights over the next five years.
On July 30, 1884, he beat George Fulljames of Canada in 22 rounds and was considered welterweight and middleweight champion because of the victory. Dempsey had forty-one fights without a loss before meeting Johnny Reagan in his first genuine defense of the title on December 13, 1887. The bout took place outdoors on Long Island in heavy rain. By the fourth round, the ring was underwater, and the fight was moved twenty miles. The rain turned to snow. Dempsey finally won on a knockout in the 45th round.

Edited by Borumas, 06 September 2007 - 04:26 AM.

In 334BC Alexander met with Celtic warriors on the banks of the Danube and asked them what they feared most, expecting a reply that they feared him. Instead they stated "We fear only that the skies will fall on our heads."
The Celts regarded the Romans as barbarians due to their practice of murdering prisoners or selling prisoners, including women and children, into slavery.

#11 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:49 AM

In the bare-knuckle days a "round" ended with a knockdown, so some rounds might last only a few seconds. Still, some tough men, alright.
And let us not forget Max's even bigger brother, Buddy Baer. In the film "Quo Vadis" (the 50s version) he performed the Conanesque feat of breaking a bull's neck in a Roman arena.

#12 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hmm, what about boxingchampions like for instance J. Dempsey?

Btw, I just read a fun novel called "Circus fists". Sailor Costigan fights piano-movers, farmers and drunks in a carnival environment. Then a huge blacksmith named Cairn comes along. Costigan has a great deal of trouble with this powerful hillman boxingchampion of Nevada.

#13 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:57 AM

Btw, I just read a fun novel called "Circus fists". Sailor Costigan fights piano-movers, farmers and drunks in a carnival environment. Then a huge blacksmith named Cairn comes along. Costigan has a great deal of trouble with this powerful hillman boxingchampion of Nevada.

Must have been a relative of Esau Cairn! :)

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#14 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

What about Victor McLaglen? Howard was a fan. Here's a pic:

https://www.google.c...ew%3Dlg;398;576

That's right. Loincloth and all. McLaglen was of English birth but Scots-Gaelic descent. He served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Oh yeah, and he went a bout with Jack Johnson. All in all, a good prototype for Conan.

Circus Fists is a good yarn. OF COURSE Costigan had a hard time with Cairn, who was a fellow Gael from the neighbourhood of Breckinridge Elkins. ;)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#15 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ok, I wasn´t sure what exactly Costigan was (an immigrant from). There seemed to be some animosity though between the fellows...lol!

#16 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

That's right. Loincloth and all. McLaglen was of English birth but Scots-Gaelic descent. He served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Oh yeah, and he went a bout with Jack Johnson. All in all, a good prototype for Conan.

He was great in the quiet man.

DROC

#17 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

He was great in the quiet man.

DROC

McLaglen played a LOT of "Irishmen" in various John Wayne films.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#18 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

these are great images, I'd say pretty damn close to how I've imagined conan.

"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."