• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#1 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:33 AM

Today is the 132nd birthday of Edgar Rice Burroughs. REH had more books on his bookshelf (as we know it) penned by ERB than any other author, including Jack London. For now, here's a link to the foremost ERB site:

http://erbzine.com/

Any and all discussions of ERB are perfectly welcome on this thread. biggrin.gif

Here's a pic of the Man Himself:

erbcolor.gif

Notice a resemblance to a certain photo of this forum's "Reason For Being"?   ;)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#2 Xaltotun

Xaltotun

Undead Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:53 AM

Huzzah!

Happy b-day, Eddie!

BTW, I love John Carter and that other guy in a gorilla-coloured banana-hammock...um...what's-his-name...? :huh:

:P

#3 Guest_xssurdinynexes_*

Guest_xssurdinynexes_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:56 AM

I liked Carter's son but I can't spell his name

#4 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:33 AM

Carthoris. BTW, the ERBzine site has a great gallery of Burroughs cover-art.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#5 greywho

greywho

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

Deuce, glad you have started this thread. Burroughs was truly one of the great ones, and I am really glad that he has not faded into obscurity as have so many others. I love the Mars books, but my all-time personal favorites are the non-series stand-alone books, like THE MUCKER, THE MOON MAID, I AM A BARBARIAN, etc. Did you happen to pick up the Guidry and Adkins volume, FORGOTTEN TALES OF LOVE AND MURDER? I had hoped that on the strength of that one they would do the rest of the unpublished fiction ("Night of Terror"/"More Fun! More People Killed!," "Mr. Doak Flies South," "Angel's Serenade," "Uncle Miner and Other Relatives") or perhaps hardcover reissues of some of the more obscure pieces ("Pirate Blood," "Beware!"). However, it has been six years, and so far nary a word. Oh, well, we live on hope.

#6 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

Deuce, glad you have started this thread. Burroughs was truly one of the great ones, and I am really glad that he has not faded into obscurity as have so many others.

Hey greywho! Thanks. I guess it demonstrates (amongst other things) Howard's good taste in influences. Reading ERB pretty much led me directly to reading REH.

I love the Mars books, but my all-time personal favorites are the non-series stand-alone books, like THE MUCKER, THE MOON MAID, I AM A BARBARIAN, etc.

Actually the first two had sequels: The Return of the Mucker and The Moon Men. Frazetta did great covers for both. BTW, Bison Books (who've brought us great stuff like the Lamb and REH reprints) has issued an expanded version with long-lost ERB text. I Am a Barbarian kicks a$$. Unfortunately, I can't find my copy right now. :(

Did you happen to pick up the Guidry and Adkins volume, FORGOTTEN TALES OF LOVE AND MURDER? I had hoped that on the strength of that one they would do the rest of the unpublished fiction ("Night of Terror"/"More Fun! More People Killed!," "Mr. Doak Flies South," "Angel's Serenade," "Uncle Miner and Other Relatives") or perhaps hardcover reissues of some of the more obscure pieces ("Pirate Blood," "Beware!"). However, it has been six years, and so far nary a word. Oh, well, we live on hope.

I haven't picked up the G&A book. Pirate Blood was a dark, bad-a$$ tale. I found out recently that Krenkel did a cover painting for it. Kaor!

#7 greywho

greywho

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:11 PM

Hey, Deuce. Actually, I was referring to the Canaveral hardcover editions, which included the sequels along with the originals. In addition to THE MOON MAID and THE MUCKER, they also did THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT, with both sequels. When Ace did them in paperback, they split them up into two and three volumes, but I still consider them only one book. However, I am firmly convinced that his independent books were among the best things he ever wrote, with the only exception being the Mars novels. Tarzan can't hold a candle to the first two above. On the other hand, occasionally he would slip. THE MONSTER MEN was really bad.

#8 jak

jak

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

How about The Outlaw of Torn?

It's been years, but I remember reading that one two or three times.

John A. Karr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#9 greywho

greywho

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

THE OUTLAW OF TORN is a really good historical. Along with I AM A BARBARIAN (and to some extent THE WAR CHIEF and APACHE DEVIL), it shows that ERB really had a talent for bringing the past to life. (Also, if you are into historical fiction, check out H. Warner Munn's THE LOST LEGION. REH would have loved it)

#10 Guest_xssurdinynexes_*

Guest_xssurdinynexes_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:11 PM

Out of Time's Abyss was awesome.....I also liked Thuvia, Maid of Mars a LOT and Tarzan the Terrible was pretty kickin too

#11 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

While the forum clock says it's already March 20th, here in SEK it is still the 19th. Edgar Rice Burroughs died 58yrs ago today. Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia...._Rice_Burroughs

We'll be havin' a memorial party/wake for ERB and Arthur C. Clarke here at the bungalow tonight.

Man, March is hard on fantasy/sci-fi/horror writers. HPL on the 15th, Clarke on the 18th and ERB on the 19th.
Plus, in the realm of rock n' roll, Paul Kossoff (Free), Randy Rhoads, and Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone) ALL died by way of misadventure on the 19th of March.

So, plenty of shades to drink to. :( We'll be remembering all the beauty they brought to this world tonight, here in SEK.

#12 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

ERB Inc., holders of rights in all things Tarzan, have lost their latest round in their ten-year battle with the UK OHIM (the official trademark register guys) to register as a trademark the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan yell. The OHIM rejected it saying that it wasn't in a regular musical notation form :lol:

ERB Inc. is filing again, this time using a sound file, which is now allowable under recent rule changes.

Given that UK lawyers cost about 1.5X what American lawyers cost, and how pricey trademark work is, I'd bet they've dropped at least a couple hundred grand on this so far. Wowzer. Good luck making some money licensing that out.

Just something I thought this group might find interesting.

#13 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

That's funny, since it wasn't described in that much detail by ERB, AFAIK.

#14 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,072 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:29 AM

That's funny, since it wasn't described in that much detail by ERB, AFAIK.

I think it's just supposed to be "blood-curdling". So maybe it could be patented as a clotting agent.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#15 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:43 AM

Totally absurd, IMO.
But since companies tried, through biological patent, to become owners of the human genome...
I guess everything is possible with lawyers. Oh yes, and money to pay them.

BTW, my comment is not directed against you, Paul. Every rule has some exceptions. ;)
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#16 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:54 AM

If anybody could trademark the Weissmuller yell, shouldn't it be MGM? In one of the books, ERB described the yell as "high-pitched." Maybe he was thinking in terms of an Indian warcry or a Rebel yell.

#17 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:40 AM

From what I know, the ERB heirs are fairly protective of the Tarzan™ image. Might they be trademarking the "yell" in order to keep it from being used in, say, tampon commercials? :rolleyes: :P Basically, insuring that it isn't used to mock/cheapen the legacy of Tarzan? REH was very fond of the character, BTW. REH is said (according to a credible source) to have written ERB asking as to the correct pronunciation of "Tarzan". BTW, according to Howard, "Tarzan" is "Tar-ZAN" and "Conan" is "CO-nun". :)

#18 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Totally absurd, IMO.
But since companies tried, through biological patent, to become owners of the human genome...
I guess everything is possible with lawyers. Oh yes, and money to pay them.

BTW, my comment is not directed against you, Paul. Every rule has some exceptions. ;)

None taken. Some are just more mercenary than others.

#19 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,248 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:00 PM

Just found out that ERB's grandson, Danton Burroughs, passed away. :(

http://museumsanfern...oughs-dies.html

Danton seems to have been a pretty cool guy. A chip off the ol' block.

#20 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

Just found out that ERB's grandson, Danton Burroughs, passed away. :(

http://museumsanfern...oughs-dies.html

Danton seems to have been a pretty cool guy. A chip off the ol' block.

This came as quite a shock. The listmeister on ERBlist had just had a great conversation with him on the phone that night, and posted about it for us! Danton had Parkinson's, and had some recent mild heart attacks. It may not be a coincidence that a fire had broken out that day before and destroyed a lot of priceless, irreplaceable memorabilia in the "Marble Room" of his estates. That came as a serious blow to his morale.

Danton looked much like ERB, with a similar face and balding dome. He was youngish in appearance, and this came as a shock to Burroughs fandom. In fact, just this week he had taken over as chairman of the board of ERB Inc, or some such elevated title.

BTW, the Mars movie from Pixar is progressing pretty well so far. Looks like that may happen. The Venus movie has been scratched for now. Del Toro was going to make a Tarzan film but now he has been grabbed to film HOBBIT, so I don't know what will happen to Tarzan. I was hoping he would make that. Tarzan has never really been authentically adapted to film, similar to Conan (except for about five decades more.)